Magnepan LRS

Emsquare

Re: Magnepan LRS
« Reply #20 on: 19 Apr 2019, 04:55 pm »
For anyone who hasn't heard, there's now a successor to the MMG -- the all-quasi ribbon LRS:

I'm curious if they still use an asymmetric "tuning buttons" on these like the previous versions? That would be my only caveat with the LRS. From the pics I have scrutinized I cannot quite tell for sure. Never really understoodwhy that was deemed necessary. Something about distributed tuning. Although they certainly don't sound asymmetrical that I have ever heard. Just knowing that they are is ever so slightly bothersome.

josh358

« Reply #21 on: 19 Apr 2019, 05:13 pm »
Heh, yes, judging from my picture, they do -- two buttons on the right and I think one on the left.

The problem is that the MMG diaphragm is small, so they split the acoustic equalization between the two sides. Since it affects mostly frequencies that are non-directional in a listening room, it shouldn't interfere with imaging.

However, it seems to me that if bass frequencies are off to the left or the right, you'll get uneven frequency response because you'll only be using one of the woofers.

A lot of bass is mono, particularly on LP's, but it isn't always.

That said, I didn't *hear* any problem, either with my MMG's or the LRS. I'm guessing that variations in response due to room modes and boundary effects does a lot more damage to bass smoothness than the asymmetrical tuning dots.

Just a compromise that had to be made to keep to keep them small.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #22 on: 19 Apr 2019, 05:15 pm »
For anyone who hasn't heard, there's now a successor to the MMG -- the all-quasi ribbon LRS:

http://www.magnepan.com/model_LRS

THEN the post from Emsquare: ""I'm curious if they still use an asymmetric "tuning buttons" on these like the previous versions? That would be my only caveat with the LRS. From the pics I have scrutinized I cannot quite tell for sure. Never really understoodwhy that was deemed necessary. Something about distributed tuning. Although they certainly don't sound asymmetrical that I have ever heard. Just knowing that they are is ever so slightly bothersome."

I am absolutely certain the second part is NOT a quote from Josh358 ... But is what I am responding to 'AS IF" Emsquare wrote it himself:
I knew a co worker who, after buying his first stereo with help from several coworker audiophiles... Decided he could NOT possibly continue to use the amp we all helped him select... since it INVERTED the signal. It bothered him no end. that it did so, an he felt it was 'wrong'. No matter what. I guess having precise tuning devices is in the same category. For what it's worth. 20 to 1 says YES the new speaker from Magnepan has them too. So forget buying them.

josh358

« Reply #23 on: 19 Apr 2019, 05:42 pm »
THEN the post from Emsquare: ""I'm curious if they still use an asymmetric "tuning buttons" on these like the previous versions? That would be my only caveat with the LRS. From the pics I have scrutinized I cannot quite tell for sure. Never really understoodwhy that was deemed necessary. Something about distributed tuning. Although they certainly don't sound asymmetrical that I have ever heard. Just knowing that they are is ever so slightly bothersome."

I am absolutely certain the second part is NOT a quote from Josh358 ... But is what I am responding to 'AS IF" Emsquare wrote it himself:
I knew a co worker who, after buying his first stereo with help from several coworker audiophiles... Decided he could NOT possibly continue to use the amp we all helped him select... since it INVERTED the signal. It bothered him no end. that it did so, an he felt it was 'wrong'. No matter what. I guess having precise tuning devices is in the same category. For what it's worth. 20 to 1 says YES the new speaker from Magnepan has them too. So forget buying them.
Yes, there was a formatting problem and Emsquare's comment got combined with mine (the first line in the quote).

Emsquare

« Reply #24 on: 19 Apr 2019, 09:17 pm »
Heh, yes, judging from my picture, they do -- two buttons on the right and I think one on the left.

The problem is that the MMG diaphragm is small, so they split the acoustic equalization between the two sides. Since it affects mostly frequencies that are non-directional in a listening room, it shouldn't interfere with imaging.

However, it seems to me that if bass frequencies are off to the left or the right, you'll get uneven frequency response because you'll only be using one of the woofers.

A lot of bass is mono, particularly on LP's, but it isn't always.

That said, I didn't *hear* any problem, either with my MMG's or the LRS. I'm guessing that variations in response due to room modes and boundary effects does a lot more damage to bass smoothness than the asymmetrical tuning dots.

Just a compromise that had to be made to keep to keep them small.

Thanks Josh. It wouldn't stop me from buying a set if the need came up. Having had the SMGa model there was no obvious audible shortcoming to the design. If there is a tell, acoustically, it never called attention to itself. The Magnepan smalls are serious speakers. I almost wished I would have made the most out of the SMGa's and called it a day. Almost. The 2.6's are clearly a more capable speaker and I still have them.

josh358

« Reply #25 on: 19 Apr 2019, 10:33 pm »
Yep, there was a moment when I heard the LRS when I said "Why do I have these giant things?" But then I got home, put on some music, and heard the thunderous bass and ribbon purity and remembered why. Plus the imaging I'm getting now is more amazing than I remember it. It's taken a long, long time, but I've really tuned this room . . .

Emsquare

« Reply #26 on: 20 Apr 2019, 01:21 am »
Yep, there was a moment when I heard the LRS when I said "Why do I have these giant things?" But then I got home, put on some music, and heard the thunderous bass and ribbon purity and remembered why. Plus the imaging I'm getting now is more amazing than I remember it. It's taken a long, long time, but I've really tuned this room . . .

I feel this. If one has a room that is right for a set of LRSs and supplement with a good subwoofer(s) you're all set to get lost in music for the rest of your life. How can that be a bad way to go? We all know you can do way better than that but it comes with a price. Then again, what doesn't?

josh358

« Reply #27 on: 20 Apr 2019, 01:49 am »
It's true. Even when I had the MMG's, I remember thinking that I'd be happy to listen to them for the rest of my life. But I'm happier listening to the Tympanis. :-)

lewdogg

« Reply #28 on: 23 Apr 2019, 07:19 pm »
Just sent an email. Very interested to hear impressions once they start getting delivered.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #29 on: 4 May 2019, 12:34 am »
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/axpona-2019-electronics/

Bit of a David & Goliath story, Best Sound (for the money) found at the bottom of this article.

Craig Chase

« Reply #30 on: 16 May 2019, 02:27 am »
Hi all - It's been a while since I have been here. After a talk with Wendell last week, I ordered a pair of LRS for review. This will be fun.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #31 on: 16 May 2019, 11:30 am »
Hi all - It's been a while since I have been here. After a talk with Wendell last week, I ordered a pair of LRS for review. This will be fun.

As you just ordered a pair, what's the delivery time?

Hoping you post a review in the Planar circle.

Craig Chase

« Reply #32 on: 16 May 2019, 11:46 am »
Timind - The review will be posted in the Planar circle, as well as on several other forums. Thanks for asking about the time line for delivery. This gives me an excuse to pester Eric (works in marketing with Wendell) about delivery times.

Eric has also asked to be linked to all forum threads for the review, so we might get some involvement from the factory guys.

slefley

« Reply #33 on: 17 May 2019, 03:23 pm »
I'd love to try the new LRS but I've heard that Maggies (and most other planar speakers) require higher volumes to sound their best.  I live in a condo and need to keep the peak volumes under 80dB or so.  Is there any reason to believe that this new model would sound excellent at these lower volumes?

josh358

« Reply #34 on: 17 May 2019, 04:17 pm »
I'd love to try the new LRS but I've heard that Maggies (and most other planar speakers) require higher volumes to sound their best.  I live in a condo and need to keep the peak volumes under 80dB or so.  Is there any reason to believe that this new model would sound excellent at these lower volumes?
Yes -- the current generation that use foil rather than wire, including the LRS and x.7 series, are said to have solved that problem. But I've never heard them at low volumes so can't say personally -- just passing on what reviewers have said.

I wouldn't hesitate to go for the LRS. Remember that there's a money-back guarantee, so you can return them in the off chance that it doesn't work out.

ajzepp

« Reply #35 on: 17 May 2019, 09:03 pm »

In my experience from apartment living with Maggies, they tend to be very neighbor friendly. The sound doesn't carry to the same degree as dynamic speakers. I've never put a meter to it, but when I've done the "stand outside my door" test, it's much less obvious than box speakers. YMMV.

josh358

« Reply #36 on: 18 May 2019, 12:10 am »
In my experience from apartment living with Maggies, they tend to be very neighbor friendly. The sound doesn't carry to the same degree as dynamic speakers. I've never put a meter to it, but when I've done the "stand outside my door" test, it's much less obvious than box speakers. YMMV.
Makes sense, if I remember the figure correctly dipoles radiate 2.8 dB less into the room than omnis because of their figure 8 pattern. 

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #37 on: 18 May 2019, 12:46 am »
I never got that message... I had 3.6 Maggies for eight years, then last year I went up to 20.7 Maggies.. 
I listen at 50 to 75dB. that is NOT loud.
I admit it took a long time for them to really break in (The sound of not broken in was mostly some lack of fine detail and a wider than real dynamic range. So soft sounds were too soft.. compared to after break in)
And YES the bass from even my 20.7s really does not go through the walls.
I tested them at the dealer a few years ago when they had demo 20.7s. Cranked up the music LOUD, with tons of bass. went out of the room, closed the door. no bass...
Hey great.
There really is a difference between cone speaker bass and Maggies bass.
Naturally for folks who enjoy gut massage bass... Magnepans are the wrong speaker for them.

josh358

« Reply #38 on: 18 May 2019, 12:57 am »
I never got that message... I had 3.6 Maggies for eight years, then last year I went up to 20.7 Maggies.. 
I listen at 50 to 75dB. that is NOT loud.
I admit it took a long time for them to really break in (The sound of not broken in was mostly some lack of fine detail and a wider than real dynamic range. So soft sounds were too soft.. compared to after break in)
And YES the bass from even my 20.7s really does not go through the walls.
I tested them at the dealer a few years ago when they had demo 20.7s. Cranked up the music LOUD, with tons of bass. went out of the room, closed the door. no bass...
Hey great.
There really is a difference between cone speaker bass and Maggies bass.
Naturally for folks who enjoy gut massage bass... Magnepans are the wrong speaker for them.
Though in my small room my Tympanis can do chest compression. I don't think I've ever heard (felt?) another planar speaker do that. But my room is really small.

audiojem

« Reply #39 on: 18 May 2019, 01:06 am »
Ordered my pair today 3-5 week lead time the gentleman who took my order said they were working overtime to get caught up!