The NAD C658

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
The NAD C658
« on: 5 Mar 2019, 02:39 am »
I have had mine now for 4 weeks and a I really, REALLY love it, and it sounds fabulous! Warm, clear, tight and dynamic and it operates fast and well running Tidal, even with my very old tablet; and the subwoofer output has really set my sub free! Now looking forward to the soon to be released Dirac software for this unit.
The AudioControl Ten is for TV Chromecast/YouTube. Other items you see are my Adcom speaker switch and my Van Alstine 350R6 and in the back is a Richard Gray 400.
And btw, I have been a Tidal Hi-Fi subscriber for at least 2 years now and just love Tidal too. Rarely an issue, they have all my music but 1 band and a few albums of a few others and the quality is stunning and even more now with the 658. I have 20 playlists with an average of 800 tracks so far in each because I love shuffle play!   

MiamiAngler

Re: The NAD C658
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2019, 04:32 am »
I have had mine for about  a month and really like it.   Love the interface on my iPad.  I bought it for Tidal but have been surprised how good of preamp it is.   I use Tidal and Amazon music, Amazon has a lot more content than Tidal.

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2019, 12:50 pm »
Have either of you used the Dirac room correction?  That NAD sure packs a lot of features into one small preamp/DAC.  Nice!

MiamiAngler

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2019, 01:01 am »
The Dirac function is not yet available.
I asked when it would be and  got the following from NAD.

Thank you for contacting the NAD Electronics Support Center.

Regarding Dirac Live,  I am terribly sorry for the delay. I have just reached out to our engineering team and they have informed me it is currently their top priority to provide Dirac integration and are hoping to have it released as soon as possible. Unfortunately us here in technical support are not provided a timeline on development and releases so I can not say for certain when it will be available. However rest assured they are working diligently to have Dirac available as soon as possible.

We hope this helps! If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to get in touch.

Best Regards,
I received this response on March 19

Mike-48

« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2019, 05:41 am »
I have thinking about a C658 for our living-room system -- after the Dirac software is released. The system is just a TV, DVD player, and Audioengine powered speakers. I'd add the C658 to get streaming, as well as better sound.
A big concern is ease of use, as my SO is way less technically inclined than I. Assuming I do the Dirac setup (and also set up a Harmony remote) -- would this be a good choice? Is streaming via BluOS pretty simple and stable?

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2019, 12:37 am »
I have been using the 658 since February and since July with Dirac and it is amazing! I have been able to removed my EQ from the chain (that feels good) and have 5 settings loaded in Dirac but I've been sticking with 1 setting. It is a Dirac setting with the 198-500 tweaked a bit.

My very longtime friends are wowed by how clean and clear it sounds, they just want to keep listening to more and more and me too! I am very satisfied with the 658 and Dirac, set it and forget it.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2019, 11:05 am »
I opted for the M10 (Master series version of the C658 called a "streaming amplifier") and love it.  Thoroughly modern, easy to use, gets me off computer sourcing, sounds great, and provides 100 wpc.  See my review on Audio Circle.