Ceramica Translam

HT cOz

Re: Ceramica Translam
« Reply #40 on: 31 Jan 2019, 09:58 am »
Nicely done and great progress! It's too bad I'm not there as Tamil is my native tongue and although the middle and upper class are well versed in English, that's usually not true of the blue collar worker!

Impressive!

So since your stint will be over in 7 or so months, will you be shipping those suckers back stateside?

Best,
Anand.

Yes for sure, I think the opportunities in India are very good with a growing middle class and disposable income.  I have a nearly empty container provided to me for my return trip, so if your wanting something from India, just let me know.  Actually, a friend of mine is also going back so consider it two... lol

HT cOz

« Reply #41 on: 5 Feb 2019, 03:40 am »
Weekend update

Finished the base section of the speaker and added the M8 screw inserts.  At 25mm these were not easy to screw into the tough HDF. 

This was my worst joint which needed to be sanded smooth.  I'm not sure what happened to cause the shift could be a lot of factors maybe more than one coming together.

19 minutes later with 60 grit sand paper it is all worked out. 

Ready for the next stage: Mount port tube, sand and fill gaps, and pre-paint

I dropped the speakers off at the CNC shop for hole cutting and fabrication of a mount for the port tube.  I know slight cheating but I'm not into buying 220v tools!  :green:

I'm looking forward to post production and getting them into paint.  This is one area where being in India will pay huge dividends as the amount of sanding is very big but the workers here are happy to work on a project for good pay. 

imom

« Reply #42 on: 20 Feb 2019, 10:37 pm »
Really enjoying watching your progress. Didn't catch what was so tricky about the bass reflex port though...?

HT cOz

« Reply #43 on: 21 Feb 2019, 11:12 am »
The difficulty is in cutting the exact hole to fit the port. It’s back on track now.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #44 on: 21 Feb 2019, 02:03 pm »
Looking good!

HT cOz

« Reply #45 on: 23 Mar 2019, 01:43 pm »
Ceramica work continues, baffle is glued up and first coat of primer is on.  I have to make a choice between light and dark...  :eyebrows:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #46 on: 23 Mar 2019, 01:47 pm »
Great work!

HT cOz

« Reply #47 on: 13 Apr 2019, 06:40 am »
More progress on the build. I’ve selected a very white pearl with high gloss finish. You can see sample below. We’ve done two layers of primer and two layers of paint. White is pretty tough as the dark HDF shows through and especially since all sides are end joints. So I’ve instructed the crew to paint, sand, paint, sand until it’s perfect.

Next up is the speaker bases, they need to be machined from aluminum and it took me a while to find the right people. Finally I found a great group who is a team of five with 2,3,4,5 axis CNC equipment and on-site engineers. This is an example of small camera parts they are building from aluminum stock in the 5 axis machine.  Looking forward to seeing these bases next week.

HT cOz

« Reply #48 on: 18 Apr 2019, 10:46 am »
Pearl gloss while paint is finished, next stop final assembly!

Nick77

« Reply #49 on: 18 Apr 2019, 11:08 am »
Stunning!   :thumb:

HT cOz

« Reply #50 on: 20 Apr 2019, 03:20 am »
One done and one to go...

HT cOz

« Reply #51 on: 21 Apr 2019, 04:31 pm »
Getting closer, next stop is getting the bases completed.

charmerci

« Reply #52 on: 21 Apr 2019, 07:55 pm »
Wow, great and other exclamations!

Congratulations on getting them up and "running."
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2019, 11:14 pm by charmerci »

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #53 on: 21 Apr 2019, 08:09 pm »
Looking awesome! You must be excited!

Best,
Anand.

HT cOz

« Reply #54 on: 22 Apr 2019, 04:45 am »
Thanks all!  It is exciting as I’ve dreamed of doing an epic build for a long time.  Last night I noticed that my amp was having problems so I’ve not really listened to them properly.  I’m wishing that I had chosen a different path on my amp. It’s all good though and part of the journey.

Rick has been great and answered all my questions along the way. If you want a kit he is a great resource and provider of high quality speakers.

I wish I could do another to apply all the lessons that I’ve learned. Some real surprises here and there.

Cheers
Robert

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #55 on: 22 Apr 2019, 12:25 pm »
Really outstanding work HT! Thank you for taking the time to post the photos of the different stages. You have the patience of a saint and the skill of a seasoned carpenter. And yes, Rick is a terrific resource and makes a truly fine product. I’d love to make one of his kits. Maybe some day.

Cheers,
Lester

RonN5

« Reply #56 on: 22 Apr 2019, 01:19 pm »
Absolutely beautiful!!!  How is the burn in coming... how do the sound?

Nick77

« Reply #57 on: 22 Apr 2019, 02:37 pm »
Hi Robert what is the issue with your amplifier? What is the sensitivity of your speakers? Are you having clipping issues? 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #58 on: 22 Apr 2019, 02:42 pm »
They look great!  When are you making the next pair?   :P

HT cOz

« Reply #59 on: 22 Apr 2019, 03:15 pm »
Really outstanding work HT! Thank you for taking the time to post the photos of the different stages. You have the patience of a saint and the skill of a seasoned carpenter. And yes, Rick is a terrific resource and makes a truly fine product. I’d love to make one of his kits. Maybe some day.

Cheers,
Lester

Thanks Lester, patience yes - seasoned carpenter no.  This is only my second build, but the real credit goes to Ivica on the cabinet.  I had a 3d color coded model to reference.  I could actually pull a part out of the stack and examine it.  Great stuff.