Klipsch Cornwall IV - Amp Choices

shawbros3

Klipsch Cornwall IV - Amp Choices
« on: 1 Feb 2020, 02:56 am »
Finally got around to setting up a secondary tube system and wondering what Cornwall owners are using for amplification, SS or tubes.  Also if anyone has a room with no true corner/wall on one side, do you hear any imbalance in the sound?  I don't have a right wall and the sounds seems to be dominant on the left side.  I haven't had much time to play around with speaker placement yet, just plopped them down to get an initial sense of the Klipsch sound.  Horns are pulled out about 2ft from the wall.

I'm running a 2W Yamamoto 45 SET.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Klipsch Cornwall IV - Amp Choices
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2020, 03:02 am »
I don't have a Cornwall, but I do have a Forte III, can I play too?

shawbros3

« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2020, 03:11 am »
I don't have a Cornwall, but I do have a Forte III, can I play too?

Both models are cut from the same cloth, so any insights you have would be cool and appreciated.

Tyson

« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2020, 03:31 am »
Duplicate.

Tyson

« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2020, 03:42 am »
I use them in my upstairs (2nd) system and I rotate among a few different amps.  Right now, these are my 2 favorites:

Almarro A318B:

VTA ST35:

I also have a nice Elekit Japan amp that lets me switch between 2a3 and 300b tubes:

Last but not least, I also have a TAL Korneff Type 45 amp which I really love. 

They ALL sound good with the Forte IIIs.  They are great speakers that really let the different tube topologies shine. 

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2020, 04:19 am »
Cornwalls sound best in huge rooms. A side absorber and maybe lots of toe in might work. If they have ample room or think they do, they can sound pretty good with almost any ok amplifier.

shawbros3

« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2020, 04:53 am »
Cornwalls sound best in huge rooms. A side absorber and maybe lots of toe in might work. If they have ample room or think they do, they can sound pretty good with almost any ok amplifier.

Yeah I hear you, but I don't have that luxury.  These actually sound decent so far in my small living room, pretty effortless.  Just wondering what the deal is with the left side sounding more dominant.  I was hoping the large picture canvases on the left wall would help with absorption, but those didn't cut it.  It's a family shared room so I can't run wild with treatments.

@Tyson - some nice amps you got there.  I used to run an Almarro and Leben with Super V's back in the day.  Good to know that all of them sound good with the Fortes.

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2020, 05:42 am »
Try moving one or the other speaker forwards/back a little. It might balance out.

celebrat

« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2020, 01:09 pm »
I think almost any of the Decware amps would be a great match. I am using a model SE84UFO25 on my Jamboree Bass Bins (2 x 15" Klipsch woofers) w/ Altec 288B horns and I think it is one of the best amps I have ever heard. 2 wpc but oh they are so sweet. :inlove:

celebrat

« Reply #9 on: 1 Feb 2020, 01:16 pm »
I just added a second one for a whopping 6 watts. Since the Jamboree bins are part of what I have heard called a "Cornscalla" I figured it would be a good match with the Cornwalls

. They are in the middle of the rack. One is about 1 year old the other almost new. Hence the slight color difference on the bases.

sunnydaze

« Reply #10 on: 1 Feb 2020, 01:26 pm »
......I don't have a right wall and the sounds seems to be dominant on the left side........

Which is why these days I will never buy a line stage without a balance control.  Few things more annoying in the listening experience than one side being louder than the other and leaning my body trying  to even it out. 

Could be caused by room anomalies, drivers or tubes not exactly matched, etc.  I don't really care, I fix it with a simple twist of the balance knob.    :thumb:

celebrat

« Reply #11 on: 2 Feb 2020, 12:58 am »
On the New Record Day YouTube site there was recently a session speaking of extreme toe in particularly for speakers with waveguides. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1NP-s2p_pw

I am thinking that is something I am going to try with my system. I am going to start with my Altec horns as that is super easy. I think your Cornwalls may benefit from this too and should be easy to evaluate and may help some with your channel imbalance.

puroagave

• Former audio snob.
« Reply #12 on: 22 Feb 2020, 02:46 am »
New CWIV owner here, I've had my set since late November of last year. I've now tried four different tube amps (Airtight ATM211, ARC VS55, Jadis Orchestra and Curcio Super ST70). They all performed admirably and powerwise, were overkill for my system/room. On a whim I picked up the Valvet E2 single-ended SS amp capable of a whopping 12 WPC in 8 ohms. I did read Segal's review in 10Audio beforehand which seemed overwrought with hype and platitudes. Nonetheless, once installed into my system I knew before the 1st song was over that there was something going on sonically which was special and alluring. The Valvet E2 is special, it has the tonality and timbre present with tube amps and that wonderful see through front to back layering and stage depth/width. But there was more, more detail and finer resolution of artifacts that went unnoticed before. Even on record played countless time--regardless of musical genre.

For the time being the E2 isn't going anywhere and it's definitely a keeper! I'm loath to put the heavy and bulky Airtights back in the system, maybe they won't be going back. :scratch:

puroagave

• Former audio snob.
« Reply #13 on: 24 Feb 2020, 04:09 am »
Which is why these days I will never buy a line stage without a balance control.  Few things more annoying in the listening experience than one side being louder than the other and leaning my body trying  to even it out. 

Could be caused by room anomalies, drivers or tubes not exactly matched, etc.  I don't really care, I fix it with a simple twist of the balance knob.    :thumb:

Balance controls are indispensable, esp for vinyl playback when so many top cartridges can have channel imbalance on the order of 1-3+ db!--something users often mistake for azimuth, mistracking or other bugaboos.

I'm with you I NEED a balance control! (my present preamp doesn't have one).

OzarkTom

« Reply #14 on: 24 Feb 2020, 11:40 am »
Some volume controls are left side dominate like the alps.

skite30

« Reply #15 on: 24 Feb 2020, 05:50 pm »

skite30

« Reply #16 on: 24 Feb 2020, 05:53 pm »

An 11x14 room

skite30

« Reply #17 on: 24 Feb 2020, 05:56 pm »
I added diffusor/bass traps equally on open side and wall side.  Works great.  A mastersound 300b on the midrange and tweeter. Mastersound el34 on the woofer. Spendor s100. Quite lovely.