OB H-Frame / A370PEQ / HX800 amp Box Flat Packs / Finished Cabs

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: OB H-Frame Flat Packs
« Reply #540 on: 2 Feb 2020, 05:06 pm »
I agree.  That's a very nicely done pair, but I would still like to cover up the norez, but not if there's a sonic penalty.  Does anyone know specifically how covering it up as described above will change the sonics?

My grill frames cover the bottom strip of NoRez and I can't tell any difference with the grills on or off. It looks like your grill frames would only cover the top and bottom strips of NoRez so I doubt you would notice any difference either.

Captainhemo

« Reply #541 on: 2 Feb 2020, 06:13 pm »
Yes it does. I've built two pair like that. However, when you miter the NoRez it takes twice as much compared to straight cuts.

If doing the mitered   edges/corners,  plan on  a  sheet per  driver ... 8 mitered pieces per. 

jay

ketchup

« Reply #542 on: 2 Feb 2020, 06:35 pm »
My grill frames cover the bottom strip of NoRez and I can't tell any difference with the grills on or off. It looks like your grill frames would only cover the top and bottom strips of NoRez so I doubt you would notice any difference either.

No, my idea is to cover all sides of the exposed NoRez (top, bottom, right, and left of both driver cavities).  I won't do it if there's a sonic penalty, but it doesn't look like anyone's tried it yet.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #543 on: 2 Feb 2020, 07:42 pm »
No, my idea is to cover all sides of the exposed NoRez (top, bottom, right, and left of both driver cavities).  I won't do it if there's a sonic penalty, but it doesn't look like anyone's tried it yet.

Why would your grill frame cover the outside or middle strips of NoRez? You have MDF on the outside of the vertical pieces of MDF  for the grill frame to rest and a MDF brace between the center pieces of NoRez if you use a cross brace in the grill frame. So the grill frame would only cover the top and bottom horizontal pieces of NoRez. The grill cloth is acoustically transparent so it doesn’t matter if it covers the NoRez.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #544 on: 2 Feb 2020, 07:45 pm »
If doing the mitered   edges/corners,  plan on  a  sheet per  driver ... 8 mitered pieces per. 

jay

I must be cutting the NoRez different than you. It takes me one sheet per 12” driver if I straight cut it and two sheets per driver when I cut 45 miters

ketchup

« Reply #545 on: 2 Feb 2020, 09:15 pm »
Why would your grill frame cover the outside or middle strips of NoRez? You have MDF on the outside of the vertical pieces of MDF  for the grill frame to rest and a MDF brace between the center pieces of NoRez if you use a cross brace in the grill frame. So the grill frame would only cover the top and bottom horizontal pieces of NoRez. The grill cloth is acoustically transparent so it doesn’t matter if it covers the NoRez.

The goal is to make the frame wider to purposefully cover the exposed edges of the NoRez.  No grill cloth will be used.  The frames will then be painted the same color as the cabinet.  The whole idea is to preserve the exposed driver look while covering up the not so great looking NoRez.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: OB H-Frame / A370PEQ / HX800 amp Box Flat Packs
« Reply #546 on: 2 Feb 2020, 09:46 pm »
Ahhhh, now I get what your after.

Captainhemo

« Reply #547 on: 3 Feb 2020, 07:38 pm »
I must be cutting the NoRez different than you. It takes me one sheet per 12” driver if I straight cut it and two sheets per driver when I cut 45 miters

Cut each piece in half so you have  2 pieces 24" x 13.5"....   then,   cut your 45's  at the end of each peice to  make them  24"  13" ( or just a  hair under  13")  with a 45 bevel  at each end.    Now you   can rip   each piece into  4  13"  x 5 7/8"  ( or noarrowier if you have  rabbets at front  for grills).  If you don't have the rabbets,  leave the  baffle  side 5/8" away from baffle)j.
Now  set  your  saw  back to  45  and  cut a  45  ( or wahtever angle you  choose) alonge  each  13"  side to create the forward/rearward facing bevels.
That will give you  your  8 pieces per woofer

jay

emailtim

« Reply #548 on: 3 Feb 2020, 11:02 pm »
The goal is to make the frame wider to purposefully cover the exposed edges of the NoRez.  No grill cloth will be used.  The frames will then be painted the same color as the cabinet.  The whole idea is to preserve the exposed driver look while covering up the not so great looking NoRez.

You could skip the NoRez all together.  Many people do with no complaints.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #549 on: 4 Feb 2020, 12:18 am »
Cut each piece in half so you have  2 pieces 24" x 13.5"....   then,   cut your 45's  at the end of each peice to  make them  24"  13" ( or just a  hair under  13")  with a 45 bevel  at each end.    Now you   can rip   each piece into  4  13"  x 5 7/8"  ( or noarrowier if you have  rabbets at front  for grills).  If you don't have the rabbets,  leave the  baffle  side 5/8" away from baffle)j.
Now  set  your  saw  back to  45  and  cut a  45  ( or wahtever angle you  choose) alonge  each  13"  side to create the forward/rearward facing bevels.
That will give you  your  8 pieces per woofer

jay

I’ve been cutting the pieces 6-1/4” wide so the damping material goes almost up to the driver then cutting the foam back so the driver has room.

Captainhemo

« Reply #550 on: 4 Feb 2020, 02:29 am »
I’ve been cutting the pieces 6-1/4” wide so the damping material goes almost up to the driver then cutting the foam back so the driver has room.

You are fine if you are within .5 or .625  etc  of the baffle... the panel is braced solidly  from top to bottom   by the bafle in that  area.  Then, instead of cutting the   foam back, just   bevel it on  the inside edge too.  I'd   say cut the  24x13 pieces into  4  13x6"   but you  have to account for the  1/8"  blade .  We acutally cut them a little narrower due to the 20mm rabbet at front edge for grill recess's  5.75" will butt them right  up against the baffle   if you  have the rabbet.

jay

juszat

« Reply #551 on: 23 Feb 2020, 10:09 pm »
Hi .
I am have been following this thread since the beginning . Finally i decided that the best option for me to add low frequency extension and impact to my Spatial Audio X2 speakers is a pairopen baffle subwoofer . So afyer talking to Both Danny from GR research and Jay I decided to order the kits. Everything arrived in pristine condition and me and my friend put together the frames and the Amp boxes this weekend . Very meticulous engineering and as no surprise to anyone who have put them together it was  fun and no headaches . The next step is painting . Then finish the subs . I have to say that i have a lot of respect for the Gentlemen mentioned above . The are accessible friendly and very knowlegable . There are no questions trivial to them . I attached my pictures of the work in progress . I will post the finished project when its done .
Tamas

The last image is my listening room . Once the subs are done i am going to experiment  putting the speakers on the long wall to see if it would be better . My room is not symmetrical as the right side of the room is open .

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #552 on: 24 Feb 2020, 02:54 am »
Oh man, in that room the servo subs are going to crush it.  You are in for a treat!

Sonicjoy

« Reply #553 on: 24 Feb 2020, 01:36 pm »
Hey great job! Planning to build a set this summer. I bet they are going to be the perfect match for the Spatial's. Please post your impressions once you have them up and running. Looks like you have lots of room to try different placement options. Have fun!

Captainhemo

« Reply #554 on: 25 Feb 2020, 05:14 am »
Thanks for sahring juszat   :thumb:
Glad the assembly went  well  for .

You're gonna be loving your  bass   son 

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #555 on: 3 Mar 2020, 06:42 pm »
Here's a  shot of  three different configurations.   A customer  asked about quads in  a non-modular form so  they are now an option. This one has .5"  roundovers on all external edges and is  setup for opposing drivers. As always,  large roundover on rear of woofer cutouts and all    driver mouinting screws/wire pass throughs  are pre-drilled.  These things are beasts,  each  weighs in  at approx  115-120 lbs.

The triple shown   also has all external  edges rounded ove  but has  all 3 woofers   facing forwards.   This set also has   front grill frames with preinstalled  N52 3/8x3/8 cylinder magnets installed   from rear side of braceing and  backside of grill frames. 

The  dual 12 in the pic  has nnot had any customer  requested additions,  it will be  sent down to   our friend and collegue Peter J  who is going to do an assembly video to show   folks just how easy these are to assemble  :thumb:

I'll post  some more pics of the quads once   we  pack some stuff up and make some   room.

jay

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #556 on: 3 Mar 2020, 08:34 pm »
Having made my own dual sub cabinets like these back before these were being offered, anyone who chooses to make their own is way wacky.  After completing both cabinets I decided that was the end of my speaker building hobby.  Buy these and be happy.

Captainhemo

Here's a pair of  triples we've been working on fora  customer who has been extremely patient with us while the cabinets were held up  in paint.

Finished in House of Kolor  black  and   their Show Clear.  Any final polishing will take place later this week. There are matching  amp boxes  and front grills will be wrapeped in black cloth before shipping.

Here's a short little   walk around video, sorry for the quality :(
https://youtu.be/cdpq1NVzsUo

jay

Captainhemo

Re: OB H-Frame / A370PEQ / HX800 amp Box Flat Packs / Finished Cabs
« Reply #558 on: 17 Mar 2020, 04:51 pm »
A few  after  final polishing.

jay
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2020, 04:18 am by Captainhemo »

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: OB H-Frame / A370PEQ / HX800 amp Box Flat Packs / Finished Cabs
« Reply #559 on: 18 Mar 2020, 12:38 am »
Beautiful Jay, just gorgeous!

For those wondering, getting to this level of finish is incredibly time and material intensive. House of Kolor products are considered to be some of the best in the industry and I doubt anyone would call them inexpensive.