GAMERTAGS for Halo 2

bubba966

GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #20 on: 11 Nov 2004, 04:20 am »
Quote from: gonefishin
What else do I need? a wireless router maybe...is there anything I should look for?  

I'm not going to be on the computer and gaming "live", so I really don't think I need to call comcast to get a comcast pro connection for two computers.  But I'm not sure...

...what do I need?

Dan, I'd stay away from wireless if you can. Less potential problems if you stay wired.

All that's needed is a router hooked up to your cable modem. Then hook up your 'puter & Xbox to that.

No need to call Comcast for anything.

I've got Comcast myself, and use one of these http://www.netgear.com/products/details/RP614.php. I couldn't tell you if it's the best, but it works nicely with all of the 'puters in the house as well as the Xbox.

And I've got the 'cubes on a separate LAN as they didn't happen to like being on the same network that everything else was on... :scratch:

gonefishin

GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #21 on: 11 Nov 2004, 04:54 am »
Hmmm...sorry if I hi-jacked the thread (I could understand if one of the mods wants to split this thread)

The problem I have with running a hard line, is that the only possible run I could make will be extremely long.  Where the room is on the second floor...and where the game is on the first...it would actually be easiest to run it up thru the attic...then down to the basement and up to the game.  I'm not sure of the exact measurment...but it would be a long length of cable.

If my easiest option is to go wireless and uses something like the Linksys 802.11b Wireless Game Adapter, then I would just need something like the Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router.  Tigerdirect has the wireless router for $54.00, but doesn't carry the gaming adapter (oh, and tigerdirect is just two towns over.

Has anyone running an x-box on a wireless system run into any lag problems?

thanks all!

I hope to soon have a Halo gamertag :)  of course, I'll only get to use it when the daughter is napping ;)

bubba966

GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #22 on: 11 Nov 2004, 05:01 am »
Would a 100' run of cat 5e be long enough? I know I've seen pre-terminated lengths of 100', and I think maybe even longer.

I don't think lag is so much of an issue with wireless. But poor reception and the possibility of ousiders getting on the network are the bigger issues with wireless. As well as possible interference with other 2.4GHz devices.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #23 on: 11 Nov 2004, 06:09 pm »
I have a 50' Cat6e cable from my router to my XBox - got it at BB and it's purple!

Back to the subjecy of Halo 2....

Played again last night and this time only a few hours.

Levels are much smoother without having to worry about health packs. I am playing easy mode and I have only died three times even though at times I have been careless. Guess I am a lot better than when I startee Halo 1.

It has switched me to being  a Covenant Elite again for a level. Some pretty cool things going on on a massive scale in this game...

The new controller is great - good to have the "right" feel again.

bubba966

GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #24 on: 11 Nov 2004, 06:14 pm »
Quote from: jqp
The new controller is great - good to have the "right" feel again.

What did you end up getting?

Guess I should probably go pick up my copy tonight. The rest of the country has at least a 2 day head start...

jqp

• Volunteer
GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #25 on: 11 Nov 2004, 06:29 pm »
I got the controller S  - transparent Green

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #26 on: 11 Nov 2004, 09:56 pm »
You can get CAT6 cables in 100' lengths for $21 from Pacific Cable, and they're available in 7 colors.  I have two 100-footers that I bought from them, and it works great for my X-Box.  I went wired even though I ran the cable upstairs.

'Fraid I'll have to give everyone a couple weeks head start. :cry:   I'm just too broke.  On the upside, I actually have paydays now (finally! :hyper: ) so when I get paid again maybe I'll pick up a copy.  Til then I'll just have practice up on the original HALO.

jqp

• Volunteer
GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #27 on: 11 Nov 2004, 10:16 pm »
Practicing up on the original Halo is a good idea and I wish I had done a little of that.

Practice jumping - that is a skill that will come in handy in the campain and in multiplayer.  In H2 you can jump really high and this gets you out of trouble often. I noticed  last night that the flood guys were jumping all over the place on one level and I started doing it. It helps you avoid getting trapped in a corner or a blind alley. I also think that it will be a necessary skill for multiplayer where there are 15 guys trying to chop you in half... :duel:  :bounce:

gonefishin

GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #28 on: 18 Nov 2004, 05:50 am »
Boy do I suck!  :banghead:

:D  I just got done subscribing to x-box live...looks pretty darn cool.  (Now) Wish I had done it sooner.  But to explain my opening remarks a little better...I played a couple of Halo2 match-ups on "live" and I got murdered!  I really have to tone my skills up...just give me time...just a little time  :x

The linksys wireless g router and the linksys wireless g game adapter seems to work fairly well so far.  At least, I haven't had any problems yet.

Picking a gamertag was like trying to choose a unique email address on AOL  :roll:   I ended up with Blue Ram

Maybe I'll see some of you guys playin' Halo :)

thanks for the help...and encouragement to get hooked up :)

dan

bubba966

GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #29 on: 29 Jun 2005, 05:20 am »
Quote from: gonefishin
Boy do I suck!  :banghead:

I know that feeling. :roll:  :lol:

I finally decided to try playing Halo 2 on Live yesterday. Boy have I been getting spanked. Seems I've been playing people that have played a good 1,000+ games. They all seem to know where everything is in every damn level.

Have only played 10 games so far. Got spanked real well for most of them. Did manage to get to level 3 though...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #30 on: 29 Jun 2005, 06:02 am »
I finally bought HALO2 almost 2 weeks ago, but I haven't even unwrapped it yet! :oops:   I've been playing Castle Wolfenstein and dicking around online too much, plus watching movies and doing "summer" type stuff.

I'll have to practice up and do some playing pretty soon.

brj

GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #31 on: 29 Jun 2005, 01:03 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
I've been playing Castle Wolfenstein and dicking around online too much

Enemy Territory?  If so, great game!  I haven't really been into computer games much since leaving college (and didn't have the time to be good then either), but CW:ET is a blast to play online... and completely free.... and it runs on Linux!  It is also one of the few games I'm aware of that really requires teamwork among the various character classes to complete a given campaign.

bubba966

GAMERTAGS for Halo 2
« Reply #32 on: 30 Jun 2005, 01:13 am »
Come on Babcock, get going on Halo 2.

Hurry up while I still suck... :lol: