Difference between the AVA Preamps

WC

Difference between the AVA Preamps
« on: 26 Aug 2011, 05:04 pm »
AVA makes a few different preamps, but why would you get one over the others. There seems to be a lot of discussion about the AVA Star preamp, but very little about the Insight+ which is more in my price range. Other than spending twice as much, what does the AVAstar get me over the Insight+?

martyo

Re: Difference between the AVA Preamps
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2011, 06:57 pm »
I have a T8 so I would only muddy the waters.

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2011, 09:32 pm »
AVA Insight+ solid state equipment (preamps and power amps are grain and glare free and have excellent transparency and overall musicality.  I use a combo Vision DAC and Insight+ SL unit in my own HT system, along with a new Fet Valve 400R amplifier and a set of Salk Songtowers.  The overall perfomance is excellent and the bass reach of the Songtowers driven by the 400R simply says "no subwoofer needed here".

The AVA Avastar hybrid preamp is the best we know how to make.  As a tube hybrid unit it retains that intangible sence of reproducing the emotion and spirit of the music we all desire but rarely find.  The Insight series does this too, the Avastar (and Fet Valve R amps) just do it better  Its hard to define the differences, but you will understand when you hear them.

Our hybrid equipment is much more expensive to build, with many more power supply requirements for starters.  The Insight preamp requires two regulated power supplies, plus 15V and minus 15V.  The Avastar has nine regulated power supplies, two +275V supplies for each tube, a +200V supply for each mos-fet, plus and minus 15 volt supplies for the phono section and another plus 12V supply for the tube heaters.  Of course both the Insight and the Avastar preamps have even more regulated power supplies for the mute circuits and for the remote control circuits.

The Transcendence Eight+ all vacuum tube preamp is less expensive to build than the Avastar, no mos-fet follower inside the feedback loop so a couple of power supplies are eliminated and the parts count is a bit less  It is slightly more romantic sounding than the Avastar and of course is another great musical choice.  It has made The Absolute Sound's editor's choice list for the past three years.

We build the T8+ just for those that would never consider a solid state preamp and just can't afford our Avastar.

We suspect that whichever AVA model you choose, your expectations will be exceeded.

Thanks much for your interest.  You are welcome to call me with your questions and more help with making your audio system the best you can afford.  651-330-9871

Frank Van Alstine

Charles Calkins

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2011, 11:22 pm »

The AVA Avastar hybrid preamp is the best we know how to make.  As a tube hybrid unit it retains that intangible sence of reproducing the emotion and spirit of the music we all desire but rarely find.

I will wholeheartedly agree with Frank on the Avastar hybrid preamp. It is the very best preamp I've owned.

Cheers
                                                       Charlie

WC

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2011, 01:18 am »
Thanks Frank.

Not ready for a preamp just yet, but I was just curious of the differences. I have only really heard solid state receivers and integrated amps, nothing with tubes and all of lesser quality.