Audio by Van Alstine vs The Digital Amplifier Company

lewdogg

Looking at two amplifier companies, AVA and DAC. Heard great things about both. Anyone out there ever own amplifiers from both companies? TIA!

WGH

Re: Audio by Van Alstine vs The Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2019, 01:39 am »
Each generation of Van Alstine's amps are more refined than the last so any comparison would have to include one of their current models. Since speakers and electronics make a system, some combinations are magical, some not so much. The best way to find out is to compare both amps. AVA has a 30 day return policy but if you like the Digital Amp Co. better the return shipping will be around $100.

I have an AVA Synergy 450, if someone would loan me a Digital Amplifier Company amp I would do a comparison but the results wouldn't mean anything unless you have the exact same source, preamp, speakers and musical taste I have.

witchdoctor

« Last Edit: 24 May 2019, 03:08 pm by witchdoctor »

lewdogg

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2019, 06:31 pm »
Get the one on sale! 8)

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/4-CHerry-and---DAC-DAC-demos.html?soid=1101188089143&aid=FU-pLlkxB6c

Got a 5 cherry and a DAC DAC 1 HS demo. As if I didn't have a problem already... *GULP*

They will be replacing my Outlaw 5000 and Schiit Bifrost MB, respectively.

sumoking

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2019, 01:34 am »
Good move!!
You’ll be just as surprised by the sound quality of the DAC as you will with the amp!

witchdoctor

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2019, 01:31 pm »
Congratulations, looking forward to your review

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2019, 05:29 pm »
Hi, guys!  Any way I can help out here?

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2019, 07:23 pm »
The newest AVA Vision SET 400 is 225W/Ch into 8 ohms, (double into 4 ohms) conceptional new design. The price is $1999 and it has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee and a three year parts and labor warranty.

What is special about it?  The voltage gain section, which is a very simple Class A single ended discrete transistor design driving full complimentary Class AB double die power mosfet output stages.

Each stage is separately regulated, even the output transistors have fully regulated power supplies, separate regulated power supplies for each channel.

We like to think that there is really nothing else out there that preserves the sound of live music the way our SET amplifiers do.

Here is the link to a current review:

http://www.audiophilia.com/reviews/2018/9/13/the-van-alstine-vision-set-400-stereo-amplifier

Note that due to a huge influx of new orders this winter and spring, continuing into the summer, our lead time to build you one is about  6 weeks right now.

Frank

AvsFan

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2019, 10:38 pm »
What a GREAT thread to start on two GREAT companies. These are literally the ONLY two companies at this point I was considering for amp purchases. I have had conversations with both Frank and Tommy and enjoyed the conversations very much. I have NO DOUBT whatsoever, that you couldn't go wrong or be unhappy with either choice of amps. Both seem to focus on quality and passion from years of experience. I have only heard really good things and read real good reviews on products from both companies. I have been close a few times to pulling the trigger on the SET 120. In fact when I bought my NuForce STA-200, I had it narrowed down to the NuForce and The SET 120. The NuForce is a good amp but it simply can't handle my new Maggie's. But after much thought and talks and research and more talk, and a REAL good discounted price on a demo Stereo Maraschino, I decided to go with the DAC Stereo Maraschino with the 48v power supply. Tommy assures me that it won't have a problem driving the Maggie's. But, it won't stop there. I have two different systems and the need for two high quality amps for both. Why not have the BEST of BOTH worlds? Class D and Class A/B. My other system consists of super easy to drive and super efficient ZU Audio Omen Dirty Weekends. So one of two things is going to happen here. If I find that the DAC STM has enough juice to easily drive the Maggie's I will keep it and use it for the Maggie's, and buy the AVA SET 120 for my ZU's. However if I feel it isn't enough to drive the Maggie's, instead of upgrading to the larger 60v power supply for the DAC, I am going to buy the AVA SET 400 for the Maggie's and move the DAC to the room with the ZU's.  So soon enough and I will be able to tell you what I think of both amps. When I do have both amps in hand, I will come back to this thread. But first thing is first, get the STM and see what I think of just that. Stay tuned because this is going to be fun.  :D

AvsFan

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2019, 10:50 pm »
Got a 5 cherry and a DAC DAC 1 HS demo. As if I didn't have a problem already... *GULP*

They will be replacing my Outlaw 5000 and Schiit Bifrost MB, respectively.

I want the DAC DAC HS too!!!!

sumoking

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2019, 01:58 am »
I want the DAC DAC HS too!!!!

Get prepared for a huge upgrade!
Enjoy!

AvsFan

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jun 2019, 04:18 am »
Get prepared for a huge upgrade!
Enjoy!

What do you mean? It’s that much of an upgrade.

sumoking

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2019, 05:09 am »
Both the Cherry and DAC DAC are upgrades even though your current set up is respectable.
The Cheeries are just that much better!
Please report back!
Cheers!

AvsFan

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jun 2019, 01:47 pm »
Both the Cherry and DAC DAC are upgrades even though your current set up is respectable.
The Cheeries are just that much better!
Please report back!
Cheers!

Well I have no doubt that the Maraschino is a big step up from the NuForce. I can't wait to get mine! But I have my eye on a couple of different DAC's, in particular an R2R DAC from Denafrips called the Ares. 

witchdoctor

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jun 2019, 02:55 pm »
This is what i like about this hobby when you have two vendors driven by competition to offer the best they can using innovation to deliver at ever competing price points.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jun 2019, 03:02 pm »
You know, going to RMAF every year has been a blessing in a way because it allowed me to see that certain vendors started it with "pretty good" gear several years ago, but every year or 2 have made big strides and now are among the very best performing gear on the planet, regardless of price.  DAC is one.  AVA is another.  Same with GR Research (especially their open baffle designs), Spatial Audio (seriously, Clayton's latest designs are incredibly good), Audio Kinesis, a few others. 

Anyway, if you're going to have the DAC and the AVA in house at the same time I'm curious to hear your impressions.  I suspect neither will be "better" than the other, just different, and both at a high level of excellence.

maty

« Reply #16 on: 27 Jun 2019, 03:24 pm »
I have not heard either of them, and even less living on the other side of the ocean (Spain). Living in North America you are very lucky, because you can try without spending a lot of money.

Surely the two will sound very good. But, if you listen to a lot of music with acoustic instrumentation and natural voices (without Autotune, vade retro satana) I would try the SET first without any doubt. Why? for the typical harmonic profile of the SET: dominant H2. And monotonically decreasing harmonics.

Music should not only sound very good or spectacular, it should also convey emotion. And in that the SET shine.

Just now, the French Opera: Joan Sutherland, Martina Arroyo, Huguette Tourangeau & Richard Bonynge, New Philharmonia Orchestra - Meyerbeer - Les Huguenots (1970), Vinyl x4, Decca, UK

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/music/6958-playing-listening-post5836413.html

Surely SET would suit him very well!

lewdogg

« Reply #17 on: 23 Aug 2019, 06:53 pm »
I've enjoyed my 5-cherry so much I picked up the King STM from Tommy's summer sale because I'm hoping to upgrade my living room system as well. The small form factor of the Maraschino stack should work well with the limited space in the rack.

OzarkTom

« Reply #18 on: 24 Aug 2019, 01:19 am »
I never heard the AVA in my system, but I had the Cherry Monos and a couple of SET amps. It was very hard to tell the difference between them.I heard that the STM sounds even better depending on your system.

firedog

« Reply #19 on: 24 Aug 2019, 06:18 am »
I think the most important factor is not the amps themselves, but which will work best in your system. If you can't directly compare the amps, I'd call each company and talk to them about your speakers and setup and see what they say and what they recommend.
Based on that, and just the impression you get from the conversation, I'd pick one.

Both are good companies with great reputations. And at both you can talk to the designer. I haven't talked to Tommy, but I have talked to Frank. I'm pretty sure both are guys who love their products, but will give you honest advice, without BS.