Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Norton

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #2140 on: 29 Jun 2017, 09:36 pm »

HI Norton,

No issues with the Bryston Api on the BDP1 here, it seems to be necessary for several of the latest features built into MM beta builds. Also, i wouldn't expect any issues with the 5000 or so tracks. DXD and DSD are a different matter though. Depending on the DAC you're using. Not sure if the BDP1 plays them in the first place, but it wouldn't require any sort of refresh to revert. Just enable Bryston DB and let the BDP1 sort music into the DB. If it works alright, you're set and ready. If it doesn't, just disable the DB again and reset. Done that many times now during testing, and never required anything more than a reboot..

Cheers,
Marius

Many thanks Marius, DB now enabled and working fine.

Gerard

« Reply #2141 on: 1 Jul 2017, 09:53 pm »
Thanks Chris.
After checking my system following your suggestions Safari on my iPad and Iphone still do not work. Screen comes up OK but then it does not responds anymore. Is the version of MDP (0.18.21) i use relevant? I only use one USB drive directly on my BDP-2 for my music library and use no NAS for playing or other streaming. Do you have further advise?
Regards, Gerard

Chris, I found the reason for my problem. I was starting in Safari the MM app but ignored the message below that i have to add it to my home screen for a full screen view. After I did this and started the MM app from Home Screen all worked OK!
Thanks!
Regards, Gerard

Badge

« Reply #2142 on: 2 Jul 2017, 06:17 pm »
Not sure f this has already been covered, but I am having some issues with my BDP-2 since installing the latest firmware. 
The unit plays FLAC files fine but when I try to play a DSD 64 file or when I stream Tidal, I get hiccups in the playback. The best way I can describe the issue is that it is a brief (1 second or so) pause in the playback and it happens at the start of the track and throughout the track.
I did not have this issue with the previous firmware.

Larry Dickman

• Restricted
« Reply #2143 on: 3 Jul 2017, 02:14 am »
This is a more general question about Manic Moose. It says Google Chrome browser is recommended. I have ignored this, as I don't particularly like Chrome and use Microsoft Edge instead.  But I was reminded that Tidal HIFI (the $20/month service, which I have) says HIFI will only work with the Chrome browser (if one is using a browser).  The HIFI logo in the lower right of the screen is on when I use Microsoft Edge/Manic Moose/Tidal, suggesting that I am indeed getting HIFI, and it goes out when I play a known MP3 track.

How important is it that I use Google Chrome?

Norton

« Reply #2144 on: 3 Jul 2017, 10:37 am »
Not sure f this has already been covered, but I am having some issues with my BDP-2 since installing the latest firmware. 
The unit plays FLAC files fine but when I try to play a DSD 64 file or when I stream Tidal, I get hiccups in the playback. The best way I can describe the issue is that it is a brief (1 second or so) pause in the playback and it happens at the start of the track and throughout the track.
I did not have this issue with the previous firmware.

I had similar problem with latest f/w- check that your DAC is ticked  as DSD enabled under Audio Devices. 

Norton

« Reply #2145 on: 3 Jul 2017, 10:42 am »
Now I have enabled Bryston DB & API on my BDP1, all three of my network shares appear in red at the foot of the "add files" pane.  2 are offline (I first guessed that was why red) but the third is not, playing fine and also appears as normal at top of add files pane.  Anyone knows what the red entries mean?  Thanks.

Marius

« Reply #2146 on: 3 Jul 2017, 08:50 pm »
Now I have enabled Bryston DB & API on my BDP1, all three of my network shares appear in red at the foot of the "add files" pane.  2 are offline (I first guessed that was why red) but the third is not, playing fine and also appears as normal at top of add files pane.  Anyone knows what the red entries mean?  Thanks.

Not to worry, all drives are shown in red even when they're already indexed in the DB. Has something to do with the operating system, and apparently can't be changed, other than deselecting the option in MM- Media Player settings. Which is a pity, because one needs that option enabled to see new recordings/files not yet indexed in the DB....

btw, even when drives are offline (like a switched off NAS) shouldn't make a difference for the MM DB. If you've indexed these files, they're in the DB, and showing in the Media Player. You just won't be able to play them, since they're offline.

To cut it short, red entries in the root shouldn't be seen as not yet indexed (unless it is the very first setup, in which situation they aren't indexed yet for a fact of course )

Cheers,
Marius

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #2147 on: 3 Jul 2017, 09:52 pm »
Marius, you ever consider becoming a software engineer (for Bryston or others)?
 :beer:

Norton

« Reply #2148 on: 4 Jul 2017, 06:26 am »
Many thanks Marius.

Badge

« Reply #2149 on: 4 Jul 2017, 01:38 pm »
I had similar problem with latest f/w- check that your DAC is ticked  as DSD enabled under Audio Devices.

Thanks for the tip...it was checked for the BDA-3 but not for the BDP-2 so I checked it, saved and rebooted the BDP-2.
The problem still exists so I will have to contact Bryston.

Norton

« Reply #2150 on: 12 Jul 2017, 10:46 am »
Chris,

Is it possible to add sample rate/resolution to the list of categories for filtering , maybe as sub folders under "Type"? For example, so that the user can browse just 16/44, 24/96, 24/384, DSF64, DFF128 etc etc?

Thanks.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2151 on: 12 Jul 2017, 05:05 pm »
Chris,

Is it possible to add sample rate/resolution to the list of categories for filtering , maybe as sub folders under "Type"? For example, so that the user can browse just 16/44, 24/96, 24/384, DSF64, DFF128 etc etc?

Thanks.

We've considered adding it as an option, but it would slow down building the database greatly

Airfla

« Reply #2152 on: 21 Jul 2017, 05:48 am »
I have been trying to assist a computer challenged friend get his BDP-1 up and running with Manic Moose. I have encountered an issue with the Update feature wherein it shows sorting DB up to 42% at which point it hangs and disconnects from the router. A manual reboot repeats the process. This occurs with Update at startup checked under MDP settings. I have since unchecked it and, without manually starting Update, everything appears to be stable. Music files are stored on a NAS.

However, I don't understand why the updates have been hanging and disconnecting from the router, necessitating a manual reboot of the BDP-1 to get back to the MDP interface. While the system works now, addition of new music to the NAS will require the Update feature and the situation will reoccur. Assistance in resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2153 on: 21 Jul 2017, 12:59 pm »
I have been trying to assist a computer challenged friend get his BDP-1 up and running with Manic Moose. I have encountered an issue with the Update feature wherein it shows sorting DB up to 42% at which point it hangs and disconnects from the router. A manual reboot repeats the process. This occurs with Update at startup checked under MDP settings. I have since unchecked it and, without manually starting Update, everything appears to be stable. Music files are stored on a NAS.

However, I don't understand why the updates have been hanging and disconnecting from the router, necessitating a manual reboot of the BDP-1 to get back to the MDP interface. While the system works now, addition of new music to the NAS will require the Update feature and the situation will reoccur. Assistance in resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

It now completes without issue?  If so it was likely freezing while trying to optimize the cover art a known issue in the BDP-1's due to there limited processing power.  There should be an option to turn this off on the media player settings, however it only needs to do this once per album.

Cheers
Chris

Airfla

« Reply #2154 on: 21 Jul 2017, 02:49 pm »
No, Update doesn't complete without issue. After turning off "Update at Startup" in MDP Settings and manually rebooting, connection to the router is restored Update doesn't start. As a result the system becomes stable and allows normal operation. That is fine as long as no new music is added to the NAS. The concern is how to add new music to the BDP-1 after adding new music to the NAS.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2155 on: 21 Jul 2017, 04:59 pm »
No, Update doesn't complete without issue. After turning off "Update at Startup" in MDP Settings and manually rebooting, connection to the router is restored Update doesn't start. As a result the system becomes stable and allows normal operation. That is fine as long as no new music is added to the NAS. The concern is how to add new music to the BDP-1 after adding new music to the NAS.

please place the BDP into service mode and email me the service id

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Chris

Krutsch

« Reply #2156 on: 21 Jul 2017, 08:27 pm »

I used to have this issue with my BDP-1. I setup a thumb drive as a "scratch drive" (see the Drives tab in the main dashboard). Then, the Manic Moose software won't run out of memory while processing the album art, as the thumb drive will host a swap file for the Linux operating system on your BDP-1.

An alternative is to disable album art processing, as Chris mentioned above.

Airfla

« Reply #2157 on: 21 Jul 2017, 08:33 pm »
Thank you for your reply and suggested solution. I will pass it on to my friend who owns the BDP-1.

Update: Issue Resolved

My friend followed your suggestion and DB sort completed without a problem and Album Art updated as well. Again, thank you from both me and my friend.
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2017, 02:38 am by Airfla »

Marius

« Reply #2158 on: 21 Jul 2017, 08:49 pm »
HI Chris,

What it the Music Scrapper option in the new MM software?

Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2159 on: 21 Jul 2017, 10:58 pm »
HI Chris,

What it the Music Scrapper option in the new MM software?

Marius

its the new name for bryston api