Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

MoPac

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #2000 on: 18 Feb 2017, 05:04 pm »
BDP-2   2.28 2016-06-28

Just signed up for Tidal.  Looking at "Applications" Tidal is shown as Beta.  Is this an issue?  Do I have to set up "DLNA Client" in Services to make Tidal work?

Thanks. Rich

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2001 on: 18 Feb 2017, 05:26 pm »
BDP-2   2.28 2016-06-28

Just signed up for Tidal.  Looking at "Applications" Tidal is shown as Beta.  Is this an issue?  Do I have to set up "DLNA Client" in Services to make Tidal work?

Thanks. Rich

Hi Rich

Beta works fine - it just we have to send them a BDP to be officially recognized.

i would recommend downloading the latest MM software though (S2.32 2017-02-13) - works a lot better.

james

Barry in Calgary

« Reply #2002 on: 19 Feb 2017, 11:39 pm »
Hi James

This is a harmless suggestion/comment, it is in no way meant to criticize Bryston as it really is none of my business (it's yours).

I wonder if it might be an idea to send a BDP2 to Tidal for certification.  The last poster was concerned about the Beta status as was I. It just feels like something was half done.
In addition, Tidal might just be a little more interesting for your BDP2 users now with this MQA software decoding option.  I know the software "unfolding" is only available on the Tidal App itself right now, but in the future the APIs might be made available to applications on players like the BDP2.

I would never download an MQA file instead of the equivalent high rez version (why bother, it wont sound better than the original), but streaming music in MQA format I don't already own is an interesting possibility.

My Regards
Barry

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2003 on: 20 Feb 2017, 12:30 am »
Hi James

This is a harmless suggestion/comment, it is in no way meant to criticize Bryston as it really is none of my business (it's yours).

I wonder if it might be an idea to send a BDP2 to Tidal for certification.  The last poster was concerned about the Beta status as was I. It just feels like something was half done.
In addition, Tidal might just be a little more interesting for your BDP2 users now with this MQA software decoding option.  I know the software "unfolding" is only available on the Tidal App itself right now, but in the future the APIs might be made available to applications on players like the BDP2.

I would never download an MQA file instead of the equivalent high rez version (why bother, it wont sound better than the original), but streaming music in MQA format I don't already own is an interesting possibility.

My Regards
Barry

Hi Barry

We did send them one months ago but no feedback so far.

james

MoPac

« Reply #2004 on: 20 Feb 2017, 02:19 am »
James:
 Thanks for the update heads up.  It's weird though...I was never prompted for an update.  Figured you guys were working on something else.

Thanks. Rich

MoPac

« Reply #2005 on: 23 Feb 2017, 04:39 pm »
BDP-2   S2.32 2017-02-13   Chrome   Have Tidal account with several Favorites
Using MPD 0.19.21

Anyone:
 Attempted Tidal on the BDP-2.  Was able to sign in but no Albums, Playlists, Artists or Tracks show.  What am I doing wrong?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2006 on: 24 Feb 2017, 02:04 am »
BDP-2   S2.32 2017-02-13   Chrome   Have Tidal account with several Favorites
Using MPD 0.19.21

Anyone:
 Attempted Tidal on the BDP-2.  Was able to sign in but no Albums, Playlists, Artists or Tracks show.  What am I doing

Im not sure, if you place the BDP into service mode and email me the service id I can login and check

Rod_S

« Reply #2007 on: 25 Feb 2017, 04:05 pm »
I just powered up my BDP-2 and noticed that the update firmware icon was blue which I believe indicates an update is available. So I click on it and the firmware screen opens and loading appears but no text in the main section. After a few seconds the loading goes away but the body remains blank. I powered the unit off and on and tried again but the same things happens. So I clicked the update button but no text pops into the forms body and the front panel never shows anything to indicate something's happening. Any idea what might be going on? I'm using my iPad and have tried both Chrome and Safari.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2008 on: 25 Feb 2017, 04:58 pm »
I just powered up my BDP-2 and noticed that the update firmware icon was blue which I believe indicates an update is available. So I click on it and the firmware screen opens and loading appears but no text in the main section. After a few seconds the loading goes away but the body remains blank. I powered the unit off and on and tried again but the same things happens. So I clicked the update button but no text pops into the forms body and the front panel never shows anything to indicate something's happening. Any idea what might be going on? I'm using my iPad and have tried both Chrome and Safari.

Which version of the firmware is currently installed?  It can be found on the system page

XMAN

« Reply #2009 on: 25 Feb 2017, 05:20 pm »
I have an internal SSD drive installed and I'm finding the download speed to be a max of 11MB/s when transferring from my desk top and about half that when transferring from an external ssd plugged into the BDP 2 is this normal or do i have a setting screwed up somewhere?
Modify message

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2010 on: 25 Feb 2017, 05:27 pm »

Hi Rod

I am seeing the same. Maybe the server is down?

James

XMAN

« Reply #2011 on: 25 Feb 2017, 05:37 pm »
Hi Rod

I am seeing the same. Maybe the server is down?

James

I get the same thing must be the server

Rod_S

« Reply #2012 on: 25 Feb 2017, 06:19 pm »
Which version of the firmware is currently installed?  It can be found on the system page

Hi Chris, I'm away from the unit at the moment but I think it was 2.32 (or 2.31) and the date was 02/01/2017 however I see a few posts above there is one for 02/13/2017 so it must be a version behind I guess.

Rod_S

« Reply #2013 on: 25 Feb 2017, 06:20 pm »
Thanks everyone for also giving it a try. At least it's not just me so once the server is back up all should be fine.

XMAN

« Reply #2014 on: 26 Feb 2017, 04:02 am »
I have an internal SSD drive installed and I'm finding the download speed to be a max of 11MB/s when transferring from my desk top and about half that when transferring from an external ssd plugged into the BDP 2 is this normal or do i have a setting screwed up somewhere?
Modify message

Is there anybody out there? :lol:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2015 on: 26 Feb 2017, 11:00 am »

I will forward to Chris for you.

james

XMAN

« Reply #2016 on: 26 Feb 2017, 05:34 pm »
I will forward to Chris for you.

james

Cheers James

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2017 on: 26 Feb 2017, 07:52 pm »
It likely due to a bottle neck on your network if its around 11MB/s its likely something is limit to around 100Mb/s between your computer and BDP.

• Network Switch
  • Wireless Adapter/Bridge
  • Long Network Cable in a Spool

plurn

« Reply #2018 on: 26 Feb 2017, 11:33 pm »
Modify message

It likely due to a bottle neck on your network if its around 11MB/s its likely something is limit to around 100Mb/s between your computer and BDP.

• Network Switch

To XMAN,

Strange that it is even slower transferring from an attached ssd. Is the external drive connected via USB2 or esata?

USB2 should be capable of up to about 50 megabytes per second though around 25 megabytes per second is typical. esata is faster.

Ah - I am not sure how you are transferring between the external drive and the internal (if that is what you are doing when you mention the external drive). If you are using a separate computer to do the transfer, mounting both disks on the BDP2 as shared network drives, then maybe the files are going via the external drive, over the network to your computer, and then back over the network to your internal drive. I am not sure if it works like that, but that could explain why it is half the speed of transferring from your computer to the internal drive of the BDP2.

So as unincognito says it is likely networking that is limiting things. If you use gigabit everywhere (gigabit switch, cat5e or cat6 or better ethernet cables, and gigabit network card on your computer (rather than wireless)) you should be able to get more than 11 megabytes per second transfers. If you are using 100 megabits per second devices or cables (cat5), then your speed is limited to around 10.5 megabytes per second or less.

- - -

A side note - that you can probably ignore. One other thing that can drastically reduce writing speed to SSD drives is if they are not partitioned as 4k aligned. This is less of a problem now as most modern operating systems partition drives as 4k aligned now so it is unlikely that this is a problem in your case. Though if you already have full gigabit networking then this could be worth looking into.

Anthony

XMAN

« Reply #2019 on: 27 Feb 2017, 01:54 am »

• Network Switch

Thanks Chris i will have to investigate further

Cheers X