Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1820 on: 21 Jun 2016, 06:10 pm »
Chris, I have a "New firmware is available" in the Dashboard right now, since this morning.
Not within next couple of weeks, neither since yesterday.

I'm currently on S 2.24 2016.02.08 - in my BDP-2.

Is it S 2.26 ?
Now I'm answering myself: it's S2.26 2016-06-20

S2.28 is expected in 2-3 weeks (maybe sooner).

As mentioned before there are additional features ready to be released for the BDP-2 but not the BDP-1 and we like to keep everything in sync, once we the BDP-1 has been worked out we will release the new feature for both units at the same time.  In the mean time we will start releasing testing builds again today (S2.27) containing minor improvements and changes.

Cheers,
Chris

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
« Reply #1821 on: 21 Jun 2016, 07:18 pm »

Thank you, Chris.

I can wait 2-3 weeks for the S2.28 -  :D

Krutsch

« Reply #1822 on: 22 Jun 2016, 02:22 pm »

As mentioned before there are additional features ready to be released for the BDP-2 but not the BDP-1 and we like to keep everything in sync, once we the BDP-1 has been worked out we will release the new feature for both units at the same time.  In the mean time we will start releasing testing builds again today (S2.27) containing minor improvements and changes.

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,

Would you be willing to post here (or a new thread) when you are pushing a new BETA build and provide a summary of changes (maybe a little bit more than "minor fixes"). That would be helpful and thanks.

R. Daneel

« Reply #1823 on: 23 Jun 2016, 03:17 pm »
Hi!

Can someone answer what additional functionality does the new firmware release bring or share a link where I can read more about it?

I read some reports from a hi-fi show where it stated that BDP-2 was soon to be ready for Roon. Is this true?

Cheers!
Antun

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1824 on: 23 Jun 2016, 03:48 pm »
S2.26 2016-06-20
Summary
Please see S2.25 notes for more detailed summary
Enhancements to Tidal web interface
Enhancements and bug fixes to CD Backup Utility
Changes to services, now only one playback service can be running at once (MPD, DLNA renderer, shairplay, Squeezelite or Squeezeslave)
When one is turned on, the others are turned off

S2.25 2016-06-17
Firmware Generic
Various minor bugs fixes with web gui

S2.25 2016-06-16
CD Backup Utility
Changed default various artist cd path
Fixed bug with Various Artist CD path

Media Player - Default View
Click on the artist or album of the currently playing song (below cover art) triggers the BDP to search for more of the same

S2.25 2016-06-15
CD Backup Utility
Option to disable verification during the ripping process
Option to create an mp3 of the ripped tracks
Placed in a folder labeled mp3 in the destination folder
Observes destination format
various artist cd's not yet tested

S2.25 2016-06-11
Bryston Front Panel
Fixed Service mode activation
Added third indicator for service mode, connecting
Service Mode, when select will auto refresh state every second, much like service mode in the web gui
CD Backup
Added checkboxes to allow users to only select certain tracks to be ripped
Services
Enabling MPD, Shairplay, Squeezeslave, Squeezelite or DLNA Renderer will disable the others

S2.25 2016-06-09
Manic Moose
Fixed various bugs

S2.25 2016-06-08
mpd.library
Fixed bug introduced in S2.25 2016-06-03
/bin/id3v2tolltag.php
New tool for internal use

S2.25 2016-06-03
CD Backup
Replaced id3v2 with lltag
fixed album artist tag

S2.25 2016-05-26
CD Backup
Changed file munging

S2.25 2016-05-21
Bryston App
Added support for bryston app (iOS/Android)
USB Mount
Modified handling of ext filesystems

S2.25 2016-05-15
CD Backup
Additional layer character filtering at the info.php layer (removes any character under the decimnal value of 32)
Media Player Default
Increased reliability of current playlist track removal and re-arrangement from iOS
IE/Edge Fixes
Possible fix for caching issues with IE & Edge, Applies to currently:
Dashboard
Media Player Default
Media Player Artist
Audio Devices

S2.25 2016-05-13
Tidal
Added button to remove songs from queue, touch ups still required

S2.25 2016-05-12
Tidal
Changes to tidal queueing
Media Player
Default View - tooltip containing cover art should appear after cover art changes (from clicking the cover art)
CD Backup
Fixed bugs with backup setup

S2.25 2016-05-08
CD Backup
Fixed bugs with backup setup

S2.25 2016-05-06
CD Backup
Fixed bugs with tag data download introduced with S2.25 2016-04-15
Tidal
Stream lined file ready code and added variable to customize how much of a file is downloaded before playing
tidal.set, buffer_bytes;250000

S2.25 2016-05-05
Firmware Update
Intgeration of BDP-Pi and BDP-1/2 upgrade mechanism
Artist View
Fixed issue with undefined settings

S2.25 2016-04-15
CD Backup WUI
Added a post ripping process to set additional id3 tags beyond what abcde supports
Fixed post MPD update function
Fixed parsing of cddb file
Tidal
additional tweak to tidal buffer delay

S2.25 2016-04-08
Tidal
Some tweaks to tidal buffer delay

S2.25 2016-04-07
CD Backup Web GUI
Fixed bugs with "use memory for temp location"

S2.25 2016-04-06
CD Backup Web GUI
Added an option to use system memory rather then destination drive to rip and encode files
Additional fixes to configuration permissions

S2.25 2016-04-05
Sounddirok
Forgot to mention this in previous release notes
Added Soundirok coverart.php script to firmware
http:///coverart.php
Edited picture file names to make use of bdp_front_250.jpg
Tidal
Updated Tidal Rising View
Started work on Tidal Discovery View

S2.25 2016-04-01
Tidal
Fixed bugs with Tidal queueing system
Updated albums and playlist tiles
Added Tidal Rising menu item
Tweaked playlists under my music to show in alphabetical order
Shairplay
Fixed runaway issue that was introduced in the previous release
S2.25 2016-03-17
Manic Moose Web Interface
Modified the inverted cascading style sheet to make it a bit brighter
Manic Moose Web Interface - Default
Added a drop down menu to settings, Alternative Sorting Methods of Library
Default behavior as before, "Ingore Case" if running MPD 0.17 or 18 the list of files and folders will ignore case, "Ingore Case and Type" files and folders will be mixed in alphabetical order
Added a drop down menu to settings, options to help keep either the back button or transport controls in view
Manic Moose Web Interface - Artist View
Modified cover art handling to substitute existing cover art of bryston cover art isn't found
Tidal
Fixed adding songs to playlist issue
Added support for BR2 play button
Library Doctor
Added additional bryston cache files to be detected and removed
BOT - Memory Player
Push 'next' song button within 10 seconds of seeing the "Audio CD Ready" message
The BDP will then procede to rip the entire contents of the cd to memory
Takes about half the time as it would to rip as flac to a USB hard drive
Once it is done, the tracks on the cd should appear in the current playlist
Ejecting the cd will remove the tracks from memory and the MPD playlist
Provides cover art
S2.25 2016-03-10
Added an option to invert the colour of the interface

Bryston Panel - BOT
Fixed some issues with initiating CD ripping from the front of the unit (matches fixes made for the Web GUI)
Follows various artist rules
After ripping decision menu stays, shouldn't, now fixed
Bryston DB Enabled, will prevent playing of tracks while ripping

S2.25 2016-03-07
Shairplay
Altered start script to run program in a loop; in event of a crash it will automatically restart
MPD Restart
forces restart of node mpd client (web communication)
Squeezeslave
Fixed issue preventing MPD from starting if enabled
Uses hostname (changable from Network Interfaces settings page, Advanced)
DLNA Renderer
Uses hostname (changable from Network Interfaces settings page, Advanced)

S2.25 2016-03-02
Tidal
Some sprucing up of the new mobile interface, tested on iPhone iOS 9 only
S2.25 2016-03-01
Tidal
Fixed previous track bug
Added early build of mobile interface (it is a redirect)
This "mobile" version of the interface is designed to work along side the desktop/tablet version
S2.25 2016-02-26
Messages/Alerts
Moved from upper right to lower right
Tidal
A number of visual tweaks
Fixed numerous minor bugs
Queue, added save and clear buttons
Opened ticket with Tidal as to why adding songs to playlist isn't functional
Can favourite Playlists from Whats New page
Fixed transport control bugs
Frontpanel buttons should control tidal when tidal queue isn't empty
S2.25 2016-02-23
NOTE
Had to clear browser cache before mediaplayer would functin correctly
Added messaging system to display alerts in the upper right corner
Artist View
Fixed transparency issue with cover art
Default View
Fixed current playlist, songs can be dragged and dropped into place again

S2.25 2016-02-16
MPD Client
Fixed issue causing Bryston DB build to be killed before it completes

vonnie123

« Reply #1825 on: 23 Jun 2016, 05:47 pm »
S2.26 2016-06-20
Summary
Please see S2.25 notes for more detailed summary
Enhancements to Tidal web interface
Enhancements and bug fixes to CD Backup Utility
Changes to services, now only one playback service can be running at once (MPD, DLNA renderer, shairplay, Squeezelite or Squeezeslave)
When one is turned on, the others are turned off

Hi Chris, any technical details on this change.  BDP-1 seems to work fine with multiple services selected?  Thanks.

Marius

« Reply #1826 on: 24 Jun 2016, 05:19 am »
HI Krutsch and Anton,

Keep this page in your favorites:

http://support.bryston.com/site/?firmware

Both releases and betas nicely listed with all version history, among many other web based interfaces to your Bryston gear. (unfortunately im only using the BDP-firmware pages, have none of the other devices ...)

Cheers,
Marius

Hi!

Can someone answer what additional functionality does the new firmware release bring or share a link where I can read more about it?

I read some reports from a hi-fi show where it stated that BDP-2 was soon to be ready for Roon. Is this true?

Cheers!
Antun

Marius

« Reply #1827 on: 24 Jun 2016, 10:09 am »
Chis,

You nailed it! this is so easy now, thanks a bunch! :thumb:

1 click, and immediate response in the browser window.
Search is still available which makes us have best of both worlds now, very nice indeed.

Cheers,
Marius

HI Chris,

Thanks for this:

It's a cool feature (though a bit hidden in the interface..) and another way of trying to get the artist/album  being played.

Still, this search seems a very heavy process for the processor, taking a very long time to end and show its result.

Couldn't you just implement a direct 'go to folder', clicking on the album or artist? No searching needed, and the file browsing position is unique so should be a very quick action?

Cheers,
Marius

Rod_S

« Reply #1828 on: 28 Jun 2016, 01:31 am »
Has anyone gone through the trouble of going back and adding the liner notes of your ripped CD's? I've considered this but I know it's a monumental amount of work plus I've never seen anyone post pics of how the app handles this. I'm pretty sure support for this was added wasn't it? You just tap on the cover art in Default view and it cycles through images doesn't it? How many images are supported?

Also for the future could we please get a sorting option added to Artist view so that once we select our artist on the left and all of the albums load on the right we get an option list on the right to sort by date and not just the default/embedded album name. Having ascending and descending options would be great here as well.

Krutsch

« Reply #1829 on: 28 Jun 2016, 03:31 am »
Has anyone gone through the trouble of going back and adding the liner notes of your ripped CD's? I've considered this but I know it's a monumental amount of work plus I've never seen anyone post pics of how the app handles this. I'm pretty sure support for this was added wasn't it? You just tap on the cover art in Default view and it cycles through images doesn't it? How many images are supported?

I've been doing this for newly ripped CDs and many albums from places like 2L.no include the booklet with the download. It's amazing how much material is on the inner-tubes for making your own booklets. I name them all "booklet.pdf" and configure Soundirok to look for them and load them from the tap-and-hold menu. MPaD has a similar function. In both cases, it works great and it's fun to look at the booklets when listening to new albums.

It would be super cool to have this function work in Manic Moose... but with a separate place to click/load the booklet. Clicking on the album art behaves oddly for my collection. I have both "folder.jpg" files in my album folders, as well as embedded art in the files, as well as "back.jpg" files. When I click on the album during playback, it seems to cycle between the folder.jpg, then the embedded artwork (not sure of the order) and then a black empty box (I think MM can never load the back.jpg).

Also for the future could we please get a sorting option added to Artist view so that once we select our artist on the left and all of the albums load on the right we get an option list on the right to sort by date and not just the default/embedded album name. Having ascending and descending options would be great here as well.

Yes, please... that would be awesome, as well. In my collection, I have albums sorted into folders by media/resolution and the default sort ordering seems to be by folder, then by name, so sorting options would be welcomed.

As long as we are wishing... what I would like is to have Manic Moose remember where it was in the Artist View so when I click to the Default View and then back to the Artist View, I am looking at the same collection of albums.

Rod_S

« Reply #1830 on: 28 Jun 2016, 10:55 am »
I've been doing this for newly ripped CDs and many albums from places like 2L.no include the booklet with the download. It's amazing how much material is on the inner-tubes for making your own booklets. I name them all "booklet.pdf" and configure Soundirok to look for them and load them from the tap-and-hold menu. MPaD has a similar function. In both cases, it works great and it's fun to look at the booklets when listening to new albums.

It would be super cool to have this function work in Manic Moose... but with a separate place to click/load the booklet. Clicking on the album art behaves oddly for my collection. I have both "folder.jpg" files in my album folders, as well as embedded art in the files, as well as "back.jpg" files. When I click on the album during playback, it seems to cycle between the folder.jpg, then the embedded artwork (not sure of the order) and then a black empty box (I think MM can never load the back.jpg).

Yes, please... that would be awesome, as well. In my collection, I have albums sorted into folders by media/resolution and the default sort ordering seems to be by folder, then by name, so sorting options would be welcomed.

As long as we are wishing... what I would like is to have Manic Moose remember where it was in the Artist View so when I click to the Default View and then back to the Artist View, I am looking at the same collection of albums.

Ah so it sounds like this feature of liner notes doesn't work that well in MM. That's unfortunate as that's what I use, I don't use any of the other software packages.

I like your wish list item idea about navigating back and forth between Default and Artist view, that would be most welcome as well.

Rod_S

« Reply #1831 on: 28 Jun 2016, 02:26 pm »
Was there something in an earlier firmware that would have resized the folder.jpg files? I was just in browsing around and noticed most of my albums folder.jpg files are now 200x200 pixels rather than the 800x800 I when originally created.

XMAN

« Reply #1832 on: 28 Jun 2016, 03:25 pm »
Can someone explain why one needs a scratch disk?  MM seems to pick up my metadata ok now mPaD is another story i'm having problems with it getting some of the metadata,  any help would be welcomed. 

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1833 on: 28 Jun 2016, 07:06 pm »
Can someone explain why one needs a scratch disk?  MM seems to pick up my metadata ok now mPaD is another story i'm having problems with it getting some of the metadata,  any help would be welcomed.

modern versions of manic moose a scratch disk is really only needed if your using the web interface to access tidal and its only used for caching cover art so it loads faster

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1834 on: 28 Jun 2016, 07:09 pm »
Was there something in an earlier firmware that would have resized the folder.jpg files? I was just in browsing around and noticed most of my albums folder.jpg files are now 200x200 pixels rather than the 800x800 I when originally created.

Manic Moose does optimize cover art for the web interface and to provide common names to be used for local cover art features in third party apps, but its saves them under the names bdp_front_250.jpg and bdp_front_44.jpg and the resolutions are 250x250 and 44x44
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2016, 11:22 pm by unincognito »

Rod_S

« Reply #1835 on: 29 Jun 2016, 11:55 am »
Manic Moose does optimize cover art for the web interface and to provide common names to be used for local cover art features in third party apps, but its saves them under the names bdp_front_250.jpg and bdp_front_44.jpg and the resolutions are 250x250 and 44x44

Thanks so I can cross off the BDP from resizing my files. I wonder if iTunes or Windows Media player would be the culprits.

Rod_S

« Reply #1836 on: 29 Jun 2016, 11:58 am »
With Roon now part of the Bryston experience does that mean that continued development of MM's album/file management will decrease or stop or continue forward as being what it always has been an alternative to the 3rd party offerings?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1837 on: 29 Jun 2016, 12:24 pm »
With Roon now part of the Bryston experience does that mean that continued development of MM's album/file management will decrease or stop or continue forward as being what it always has been an alternative to the 3rd party offerings?

Hi rod

No MM development will move forward and I will continue to keep Chris shackled to his work station.

James

Rod_S

« Reply #1838 on: 29 Jun 2016, 12:28 pm »
Hi rod

No MM development will move forward and I will continue to keep Chris shackled to his work station.

James

LOL... Thanks James. I hope the shackles aren't to tight :) You need to get the poor guy some assistants  :wink:

Marius

« Reply #1839 on: 29 Jun 2016, 12:39 pm »
Great, and please do.
MM might be not as visually attractive, but there's nothing as clean and quick as browsing one's library by folder. Not to mention playing with one click. MM shines in that.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi rod

James