Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Marius

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1800 on: 10 Jun 2016, 09:26 am »
HI Chris,

could you add a quick and direct shortcut in the browser part of MM to the (album of the) current playing track?

Asked before, unfortunately it might be buried under other priorities.
But it would really be a great feature, being able to go back to the current track immediately, without having to browse the full path for each and every track. Especially in the MM interface, that keeps scrolling up and down to the wrong focus, or just hasn't got enough screen estate on mobile/iphone.

Hope you can do it.

Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #1801 on: 10 Jun 2016, 09:31 am »
I was running the latest Beta. Part of the issue turned out to be that I didn't properly add the NAS back in the settings. Once I realized my mistake it connected again and reloaded the library.

Not sure if it was you that did something wrong, upon loading the latest firmware 2016-06-08 (now gone), my NAS share also had disappeared.
I had to update it manually (did it in the NAS part of settings, where the share was still properly defined, click update) to have it displayed and indexed again.

Chees,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1802 on: 10 Jun 2016, 08:52 pm »

Not sure if it was you that did something wrong, upon loading the latest firmware 2016-06-08 (now gone), my NAS share also had disappeared.
I had to update it manually (did it in the NAS part of settings, where the share was still properly defined, click update) to have it displayed and indexed again.

Chees,
Marius

Hi Marius,

Pulled it due to reports of lost user settings, turned out to be the unit, currently working on another release that fixes service mode (also busted in the previous release)

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #1803 on: 12 Jun 2016, 01:00 pm »
Hi Marius,

Pulled it due to reports of lost user settings, turned out to be the unit, currently working on another release that fixes service mode (also busted in the previous release)

Cheers,
Chris

Cool Chris,
Dl'ing 06-11 now
http://support.bryston.com/site/?firmware

Thanks,
Marius

Pundamilia

« Reply #1804 on: 12 Jun 2016, 05:55 pm »
BDP-1 unusable with "Enable Update at Start-up" checked ON with a db of about 8,000 songs using MM S2.24 2016-02-08.

While this feature is useful if you are continually adding to your digital library, the BDP-1 can't keep up after playing for a while and the audio drops out intermittently until the update is finished. I suspect that this is either a processor or memory limitation for the BDP-1. Can either/both be upgraded?

Marius

« Reply #1805 on: 13 Jun 2016, 09:13 am »
HI Chris,

Any news on the wrong order issue? Still here in the latest beta:

Last item in the list shows up somewhere in the middle. Folder, or track. (unless less than 3 or 4 items, or a numbered list)

Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #1806 on: 15 Jun 2016, 07:11 am »
Let me correct that:
Numbered lists are also affected....  :scratch:

Marius

HI Chris,

Any news on the wrong order issue? Still here in the latest beta:

Last item in the list shows up somewhere in the middle. Folder, or track. (unless less than 3 or 4 items, or a numbered list)

Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #1807 on: 15 Jun 2016, 07:20 am »
HI,

No they can't. Soldered to the board apparently.

BDP1 is a perfect machine, but very limited in resources. Updating causes the playback to dropout or distort. Updating on startup is alright in the beginning of building a library, but takes longer when the library grows, though Chris has made the software speedup considerably compared to before.

Just as it can't handle the Bryston DB with large libraries, you'd better disable startup updating, and use one of the other supplied means to do so.
I find the update drive in Settings/Diskinformation to be very reliable. Clicking update in the upper left corner starts a general update of all attached drives, which is overkill mostly. Updating only a single album or song can be done nicely by enabling the 'Show missing files and folders' in MediaPlayer settings, and then click the + sign to the right of the missing files/folders.

Taking these minor nuisances into account, the BDP1 will still last a bit!
Cheers,
Marius

ps
Writing the above just made me realize that the 'Show missing files and folders' is a perfect example of the still very computerist interface many modern music-players have. We've talked at length on this board how that could be changed, should even, maybe?

Show missing Album and tracks would be the preferred phrase i suppose.

(and let's not make it Album and songs, which is an often seen focus on Pop-music, and seems to oversee the many customers that listen to other music, Classical for example. That have tracks not being songs...) Compare Default view, Song view, Artist view in Mediaplayer. And then listen to Mozart's 40th symphony. Ah, let's listen to the last song.... ;-(

Sorry.

BDP-1 unusable with "Enable Update at Start-up" checked ON with a db of about 8,000 songs using MM S2.24 2016-02-08.

While this feature is useful if you are continually adding to your digital library, the BDP-1 can't keep up after playing for a while and the audio drops out intermittently until the update is finished. I suspect that this is either a processor or memory limitation for the BDP-1. Can either/both be upgraded?

Krutsch

« Reply #1808 on: 15 Jun 2016, 08:25 pm »
BDP1 is a perfect machine, but very limited in resources. Updating causes the playback to dropout or distort. Updating on startup is alright in the beginning of building a library, but takes longer when the library grows, though Chris has made the software speedup considerably compared to before.

Just as it can't handle the Bryston DB with large libraries...

If you disable the Bryston DB, ignore Manic Moose and use third-party MPD apps (e.g. MPaD, MPDroid, Soundirok), I would say that the BDP-1 is a perfect MDP machine.

I my experience, with MPD only, updating is really fast, after the initial build (I have 17,000+ tracks over a NAS share, mostly AIFF with some MP3 and AAC).

I am constantly downloading new music or ripping new CDs and I don't even bother to segregate my NAS shares to speed-up the refresh; after copying new music to the NAS drive, I just update MPD from Soundirok and it's done in a couple of minutes.

Pundamilia

« Reply #1809 on: 15 Jun 2016, 08:55 pm »
Good point!

I never seemed to have ANY issues with my BDP-1 while I was using mPad/od.

Rod_S

« Reply #1810 on: 19 Jun 2016, 04:03 pm »
Is the software getting closer to being able to handle or I guess see the tags of .wav files? I've got the latest Beta loaded but my .wav albums still aren't picking up the album art, album name and track number when in Artists view. Even when viewing in Default View the track numbers aren't getting picked up and neither is the album name.

Marius

« Reply #1811 on: 20 Jun 2016, 09:06 am »
HI Chris,

Thanks for this:

It's a cool feature (though a bit hidden in the interface..) and another way of trying to get the artist/album  being played.

Still, this search seems a very heavy process for the processor, taking a very long time to end and show its result.

Couldn't you just implement a direct 'go to folder', clicking on the album or artist? No searching needed, and the file browsing position is unique so should be a very quick action?

Cheers,
Marius

HI Chris,

could you add a quick and direct shortcut in the browser part of MM to the (album of the) current playing track?

Asked before, unfortunately it might be buried under other priorities.
But it would really be a great feature, being able to go back to the current track immediately, without having to browse the full path for each and every track. Especially in the MM interface, that keeps scrolling up and down to the wrong focus, or just hasn't got enough screen estate on mobile/iphone.

Hope you can do it.

Cheers,
Marius

bjski

« Reply #1812 on: 20 Jun 2016, 12:38 pm »
Hi Chris, the latest firmware works great on my BDP-2 but not on the BDP-1. Tried swapping out hard drives but in the end just went back to the Febuary version in the BDP-1.

docder

« Reply #1813 on: 20 Jun 2016, 06:31 pm »
S2.25 2016-06-15 is functioning on my BDP-1, apart from one thing, Manic Moose MPD has occasionally turned itself off in Services! Selecting Services MPD button brings it back on again.

docder

docder

« Reply #1814 on: 20 Jun 2016, 07:34 pm »
It looks like MPD quits in the latest MM beta when I turn Shairplay on.

docder

Marius

« Reply #1815 on: 20 Jun 2016, 07:38 pm »

docder

As stated by Chris in the version history. Only one output service at a time can be active. Activating the one will toggle the other off.

docder

« Reply #1816 on: 20 Jun 2016, 07:41 pm »
Ah, now I understand.

Thanks Marius.

D

Marius

« Reply #1817 on: 20 Jun 2016, 08:15 pm »
Sure, yw!

check:

Ah, now I understand.

Thanks Marius.

D

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1818 on: 21 Jun 2016, 01:01 am »

docder

S2.26 is a stable release and what Marius said, it's now intentional.  Our next release will build upon this and is expected within the next couple of weeks due to working some things out with the BDP-1 hardware platform.

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
« Reply #1819 on: 21 Jun 2016, 04:09 pm »
S2.26 is a stable release and what Marius said, it's now intentional.  Our next release will build upon this and is expected within the next couple of weeks due to working some things out with the BDP-1 hardware platform.

Chris, I have a "New firmware is available" in the Dashboard right now, since this morning.
Not within next couple of weeks, neither since yesterday.

I'm currently on S 2.24 2016.02.08 - in my BDP-2.

Is it S 2.26 ?
Now I'm answering myself: it's S2.26 2016-06-20