Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Krutsch

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1740 on: 13 May 2016, 09:26 am »
So, does that mean MM will display back.jpg files, when the album art is clicked?

Marius

« Reply #1741 on: 13 May 2016, 09:28 am »
So, does that mean MM will display back.jpg files, when the album art is clicked?

sure, it displays all .jpg files it finds
it means that when you hover these files, it displays the names of the files.

Krutsch

« Reply #1742 on: 13 May 2016, 09:34 am »
Not sure I'm following you, but I'll be back from travelling on Sunday and I'll play around with this. In the past, I would click on the album art to cycle to the next one and some would be empty, some would be duplicates of the default image, but I never saw the back cover, after an update some time ago.

Are you also getting your PDF booklets, as well?

Marius

« Reply #1743 on: 13 May 2016, 09:40 am »
edit:
Guess I spoke too soon below, with this latest beta build, MM does not behave as described anymore :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

I saw one tooltip, but after that, nothing shows up. Only a hardly noticeable change at the bottom of the browser window, just below the playlist.

Carefully notice the difference at the bottom of the page, over the full width of the window. Left while non-hovered, right while hovered, and no tooltip showing.

Also, and that is most disappointing, most of all .jpg's are blackened, like Ken described. I do see some, mainly back.jpg's, but nothing else of my carefully collected images ;-(

Chris, what to do? Please have an extra look why this is happening.

HI Ken,

Clicking the album are cycles the available .jpg files, don't know about other formats, i only use .jpg. Pdf's i don't see, but that might have to do with the fact i save these in a separate subfolder.

I remember Chris providing a separate link to info.txt or info.pdf in the days of LL, im not completely sure. Maybe we can ask again, that would indeed be an added bonus. Might still be there, though i can't find the option in settings.

There are many options one could wish be implemented. Art (for all other images) and Booklet (obvious) with Info should do it for most i think. Hope Chris reads along.

Cheers,
Marius

Not sure I'm following you, but I'll be back from travelling on Sunday and I'll play around with this. In the past, I would click on the album art to cycle to the next one and some would be empty, some would be duplicates of the default image, but I never saw the back cover, after an update some time ago.

Are you also getting your PDF booklets, as well?
« Last Edit: 13 May 2016, 03:02 pm by Marius »

Marius

« Reply #1744 on: 13 May 2016, 11:06 am »
HI Chris,

After redistributing my library over different usb drives, I had to rebuild the library in MM. Clicking update on the home page, clicking the red drives + in the right pane (they were shown there), it all had mixed results. Drives were displayed, on and off, and rebooting, resetting, clearing the cache, it just wouldn't work.

I could perfectly see the drives in Mac/Finder on the BDP1 though.

Finally  I tried updating the drive in Disk Information and that worked fine.

Is that a different way of updating, did you implement another algorithm on that command? Seems to be more reliable, at least for rebuilding an entire library.

Cheers,
Marius
« Last Edit: 14 May 2016, 04:04 pm by Marius »

Marius

« Reply #1745 on: 13 May 2016, 12:34 pm »
Please open more feature request:

Have a confirmation button popup after clicking Reboot in System settings. [ARE YOU SURE?]

Even better would be to have MM check whether it is writing to/from its drives, or updating then DB at the time the user clicks reboot, and say so  :duh: :duh: :duh:

Now that would be a very much welcomed warning message.

Marius (desperately starting all over again)

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1746 on: 13 May 2016, 04:27 pm »

I saw one tooltip, but after that, nothing shows up. Only a hardly noticeable change at the bottom of the browser window, just below the playlist.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/videos/BOSS/tooltip%20demo.mov

You click, move the mouse a bit, wait a second and the file name should appear

Marius

« Reply #1747 on: 13 May 2016, 09:31 pm »
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/videos/BOSS/tooltip%20demo.mov

You click, move the mouse a bit, wait a second and the file name should appear

Well, exactly what i hoped for, and saw for just one click. After that, no more tooltips, the funny behaviour i described, and no more images, than the cover and back.jpg  :scratch:

Tomorrow ill powerup again, maybe my bdp1 had to settle from all new library adventures.
Thanks anyway for fulfilling my request!

**edit followup: seems the moving a bit helped, i can see several images (though many display a black placeholder), and after a second the tooltip pops up. Cool, i've been able to test and verify several cover images in various formats and resolution with this.

The problem with images not showing while being there remains though. Chris, could you have a look at that again please?

Cheers,
Marius
« Last Edit: 14 May 2016, 04:11 pm by Marius »

Krutsch

« Reply #1748 on: 14 May 2016, 06:54 pm »

**edit followup: seems the moving a bit helped, i can see several images (though many display a black placeholder), and after a second the tooltip pops up. Cool, i've been able to test and verify several cover images in various formats and resolution with this.

The problem with images not showing while being there remains though. Chris, could you have a look at that again please?

Cheers,
Marius

+1 ... that was what I was describing, in my earlier post.

OTM

« Reply #1749 on: 15 May 2016, 04:14 pm »
how do I increase the playlist size from the 300 default setting?
after logging in and entering a new number it defaults back to 300

BDP-2
S2.25 2016-05-08
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.19.12 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486
Thanks
David

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1750 on: 15 May 2016, 04:19 pm »
how do I increase the playlist size from the 300 default setting?
after logging in and entering a new number it defaults back to 300

BDP-2
S2.25 2016-05-08
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.19.12 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486
Thanks
David

Hi David

After you type in the new number make sure you hit Apply in the area below  the reboot.

James

OTM

« Reply #1751 on: 15 May 2016, 07:50 pm »
thank you - works

I see that apply has now been changed to Save under the  last.fm sign in
David

Marius

« Reply #1752 on: 16 May 2016, 02:52 pm »

Well, exactly what i hoped for, and saw for just one click. After that, no more tooltips, the funny behaviour i described, and no more images, than the cover and back.jpg  :scratch:

Tomorrow ill powerup again, maybe my bdp1 had to settle from all new library adventures.
Thanks anyway for fulfilling my request!

Cheers,
Marius

HI,

The issue seems to get better, more and more .jpgs are shown. With their respective tooltips. Great.
How could this be?  i can only imagine it takes the BDP/MM combo some time to read all images, and recordings in the DB properly.

Still more than a few black placeholders are shown (they don't have tooltips either), so it might as well be that the algorithm reads/shows some, and doesn't read/show others. There's no way to tell really.

Cheers,
Marius

Krutsch

« Reply #1753 on: 16 May 2016, 03:51 pm »

HI,

The issue seems to get better, more and more .jpgs are shown. With their respective tooltips. Great.
How could this be?  i can only imagine it takes the BDP/MM combo some time to read all images, and recordings in the DB properly.

Still more than a few black placeholders are shown (they don't have tooltips either), so it might as well be that the algorithm reads/shows some, and doesn't read/show others. There's no way to tell really.

Similar with me... I do see the tooltips and it seems to cycle between the image embedded in the audio file, folder.jpg and back.jpg, but the non-embedded versions are *always* black placeholders (i.e. nothing in the display frame for folder.jpg and back.jpg).

Marius

« Reply #1754 on: 17 May 2016, 05:46 am »
HI Chris,

might i suggest 2 interface options?
- have the drives attached and the playlist entry show as buttons, to provide quick and direct entry to these collections. Sort of  like in the menubar of the internet browsers.
we now have to browse all the way back to the home directory of the bdp while they could be reached with 1 click.

in an interface like

if you would be able to do that, we could also optionally have other locations under these buttons of course, editable in the settings, but the drives would be a great start.

- wouldn't it be a nice touch to have the currently played album show its coverart on the main page, which is really kind of harsh now. It would liven it up a bit, but also make it clear the BDP is actually playing a track. Like in Plex, or Spotify.

i wouldn't mind if it showed the current album art on all pages for that matter, but the homepage would be a great starter ;)

instead of

there s plenty of screen estate available here:

Cheers,
Marius

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1755 on: 17 May 2016, 05:59 am »
All that screen real estate exists on a computer monitor or maybe landscape tablet. It gets pretty cramped on a cell phone.

It's a limitation of using a web-based interface. I do wish Bryston would look at dedicated apps for Apple, Android, and Windows. There are other companies who make a very nice, usable interface for their audio player that works on cell phones, but it is a specific app. Those apps migrate well to tablets and computers too.

Given Bryston's interest in reaching out to new and younger audiophiles via the Raspberry Pi player, I think it would be prudent to construct an interface that will be intuitive and easy to use. This generation seems more likely to use a small-screen device for an interface than a computer. If it's not as easy as some of the popular streaming music companies' apps (Spotify, etc), I think they'll have a challenge.

Marius

« Reply #1756 on: 17 May 2016, 06:03 am »
i agree Grit, i stopped using MM on iPhone, use MPD for that to work without any issues. MM/Iphone needs the up and down scrolling all the time, which  makes me kind of dizzy.

On the tablet and computer though MM makes a rather nice interface, for which the above was indeed intended.

Cheers,
Marius
All that screen real estate exists on a computer monitor or maybe landscape tablet. It gets pretty cramped on a cell phone.

It's a limitation of using a web-based interface. I do wish Bryston would look at dedicated apps for Apple, Android, and Windows. There are other companies who make a very nice, usable interface for their audio player that works on cell phones, but it is a specific app. Those apps migrate well to tablets and computers too.

Krutsch

« Reply #1757 on: 17 May 2016, 11:03 am »

Given Bryston's interest in reaching out to new and younger audiophiles via the Raspberry Pi player, I think it would be prudent to construct an interface that will be intuitive and easy to use. This generation seems more likely to use a small-screen device for an interface than a computer. If it's not as easy as some of the popular streaming music companies' apps (Spotify, etc), I think they'll have a challenge.

You might consider trying "Soundirok" for iPhone, iPad or Android - I use the iPad version. As Marius has pointed out, it doesn't support browsing by folder, but it's very responsive, elegant and supports a type of "smart playlist" called "Intelligent Sets" that allow you to build playlists by rules, which means they will work on multiple BDP players (any MPD player with the same collection of music). For my collection, the metadata and album art display are perfect, including artist thumbnails and PDF booklets.

However, speaking long-term, Bryston needs to integrate RoonBridge into the BDP. The audio press is raving about Roon and they are mostly right. Roon isn't perfect, but it's definitely the future of audio library and streaming service integration. Once you try it, it's amazing how limiting traditional library browsing feels.

Just my $0.02...

Marius

« Reply #1758 on: 17 May 2016, 11:20 am »
HI Ken,

Your $0,02 won't get you very far with Roon....

i very much doubt the new audience is prepared to pay $119,- per year, only for managing your own library. :scratch: Nice as it may look.

My own reservation with most of these services is the matter of privacy. Who nows what gets sent to who, when using these services.

Compare that to James's Mancave, which is kind of nice. Just me and my music, possibly the rest of my friends/family in the cave. Certainly not the rest of the world being witness of my listenings.

As a note about Soundirok: i disabled the image cache, not to download all images to my already filled iPhone, but won't see anything playing.
In fact, i find the interface so unintuitive, browsing by Artist, Album or Genre is far from error free when tags are mixed-up (and they tend to do, especially in classical music). I can hardly ever find what im looking for, the search function is not very helpful, since it finds only some of the recordings.

Cheers,
Marius

You might consider trying "Soundirok" for iPhone, iPad or Android - I use the iPad version. As Marius has pointed out, it doesn't support browsing by folder, but it's very responsive, elegant and supports a type of "smart playlist" called "Intelligent Sets" that allow you to build playlists by rules, which means they will work on multiple BDP players (any MPD player with the same collection of music). For my collection, the metadata and album art display are perfect, including artist thumbnails and PDF booklets.

However, speaking long-term, Bryston needs to integrate RoonBridge into the BDP. The audio press is raving about Roon and they are mostly right. Roon isn't perfect, but it's definitely the future of audio library and streaming service integration. Once you try it, it's amazing how limiting traditional library browsing feels.

Just my $0.02...

Krutsch

« Reply #1759 on: 17 May 2016, 11:27 am »
HI Ken,

Your $0,02 won't get you very far with Roon....

i very much doubt the new audience is prepared to pay $119,- per year, only for managing your own library. :scratch: Nice as it may look.

That's a common misconception from folks that have never tried Roon. It's not a library manager and it's not about being pretty; it's an interface for (re)discovering music - yours and what's in TIDAL, in a really elegant manner.

It's not for everyone, to be sure, but I encourage you to download the free trail and give it a spin. Oh, and as to your comment about music tags, Roon handles  that really well.

Ken