Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Marius

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1700 on: 12 Apr 2016, 11:27 am »
Meanwhile, playing around might be interesting, or at least fun, especially with the BDP-PI in mind:

PIFI – HOW TO NETWORK YOUR MAC MUSIC SYSTEM WITH THE RASPBERRY PI AND HIFIBERRY – PART 1
PIFI – HOW TO NETWORK YOUR MAC MUSIC SYSTEM WITH THE RASPBERRY PI AND HIFIBERRY – PART 2

Seems to work with the already discussed Minimserver on this thread, and the free Linn Kinsky, maybe that's an interface worth our while. Screens looking promising!
some more background : http://oss.linn.co.uk/trac and http://oss.linn.co.uk/trac/wiki/UPnP

Cheers,
Marius

There are viable options, like Volumio.org, but Bryston has chosen its path. It has gotten WAY better from a year ago, but it has some distance to travel and I find it unusable on an iPad or phone.

I am patiently waiting hoping for Roon Bridge to materialize on the BDP, in which case it will be settled for me and I can purchase a second BDP for my living room. Alternatively, I am optimistic with what I've seen with Soundirok and am waiting for the next update, in which case I will stick with MPD playback.

The BDP sounds so nice, IMO, that's it worth the wait for me to see how this unfolds, but I am holding off on any further purchases until this settles.

Krutsch

« Reply #1701 on: 12 Apr 2016, 12:30 pm »
Meanwhile, playing around might be interesting, or at least fun, especially with the BDP-PI in mind:

PIFI – HOW TO NETWORK YOUR MAC MUSIC SYSTEM WITH THE RASPBERRY PI AND HIFIBERRY – PART 1
PIFI – HOW TO NETWORK YOUR MAC MUSIC SYSTEM WITH THE RASPBERRY PI AND HIFIBERRY – PART 2

Seems to work with the already discussed Minimserver on this thread, and the free Linn Kinsky, maybe that's an interface worth our while. Screens looking promising!
some more background : http://oss.linn.co.uk/trac and http://oss.linn.co.uk/trac/wiki/UPnP

Cheers,
Marius

I've spent quite a bit of time playing around with MinimServer + Linn Kinsky (and the much better Linn Kazoo). With a Volumio endpoint, it all works really, really well and integrates Tidal nicely with BubbleUPnPServerv + Linn Kazoo, as well as your local library. MinimServer is an amazing piece of software; a learning curve, but is unbelievably flexible and robust. However, I've given up on using it with the BDP.

Most UPnP playback systems use upmpdcli http://www.freecode.com/projects/upmpd to bridge the excellent sounding MPD as a DLNA/UPnP renderer. Works really well with MinimServer and a variety of endpoints (I love BubbleUPnP, but Kazoo is nice, as well).

Unfortunately, the Bryston stack uses gmediarender-resurrect for network streaming playback, which is buggy. It does mostly work, but you will have problems with some playlists, as well as with playback of AAC files (non-DRM'd) and occasional issues with gapless playback. The BDP-Pi will have the same issues, since it will use the same stack as the current BDP software, as I understand things.

At the end of the day, the BDP-X is a most excellent sounding and stable MPD player.

Marius

« Reply #1702 on: 12 Apr 2016, 01:17 pm »
Wonderful this, thanks!

As i read it, we should ask and convince Chris to use the other renderer, upmpdci instead of gmediarender.
Support might be a consideration, both seem to be out if? Gmediarender's latest update is from 7/11/2007 http://gmrender.nongnu.org. Upmpdci 'somewhat' later, 9/6/2014.. Wouldn't there be a currently supported piece of software?

Chris, please chime in if you could, and if you would be willing to consider doing as Ken suggests?

Cheers,

Marius

I've spent quite a bit of time playing around with MinimServer + Linn Kinsky (and the much better Linn Kazoo). With a Volumio endpoint, it all works really, really well and integrates Tidal nicely with BubbleUPnPServerv + Linn Kazoo, as well as your local library. MinimServer is an amazing piece of software; a learning curve, but is unbelievably flexible and robust. However, I've given up on using it with the BDP.

Most UPnP playback systems use upmpdcli http://www.freecode.com/projects/upmpd to bridge the excellent sounding MPD as a DLNA/UPnP renderer. Works really well with MinimServer and a variety of endpoints (I love BubbleUPnP, but Kazoo is nice, as well).

Unfortunately, the Bryston stack uses gmediarender-resurrect for network streaming playback, which is buggy. It does mostly work, but you will have problems with some playlists, as well as with playback of AAC files (non-DRM'd) and occasional issues with gapless playback. The BDP-Pi will have the same issues, since it will use the same stack as the current BDP software, as I understand things.

At the end of the day, the BDP-X is a most excellent sounding and stable MPD player.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1703 on: 13 Apr 2016, 03:20 pm »
Wonderful this, thanks!

As i read it, we should ask and convince Chris to use the other renderer, upmpdci instead of gmediarender.
Support might be a consideration, both seem to be out if? Gmediarender's latest update is from 7/11/2007 http://gmrender.nongnu.org. Upmpdci 'somewhat' later, 9/6/2014.. Wouldn't there be a currently supported piece of software?

Chris, please chime in if you could, and if you would be willing to consider doing as Ken suggests?

Cheers,

Marius

Perhaps a nutty narwhal (S3.XX) project

Krutsch

« Reply #1704 on: 13 Apr 2016, 04:05 pm »
Album art issue: I finally have determined why some of my albums are not displaying thumbnails in the Artists View:

I went through and found a number of albums without thumbnails being displayed, yet found bdp_front_44 and _250 images in their respective folders; images that are correctly sized and display the correct album art.

After trying a number of things, like re-embedding scaled images, resetting the DB, et al., I noticed that all of the albums failing to display had this characteristic. So, I went through my entire collection in the Artists view and, yes, I can't find a single album that is displaying artwork with the above pattern, but almost every other album *is* displaying artwork. I did find some albums without embedded artwork, but even with a folder.jpg, nothing displays in the browser.

Some examples:

Grateful Dead: American Beauty (OK), Working Man's Dead (nope), History Of The Grateful Dead Vol. 1 (Bear's Choice) (nope)

Jethro Tull: Aqualung (OK), Benefit (OK), ... , A Passion Play The Château d'Hérouville Sessions (nope)

Lou Reed: Rock 'n' Roll Animal (nope)

Oasis: (What's the Story) Morning Glory? (nope), Definitely Maybe (OK), Oasis MTV Unplugged (OK), Time Flies... 1994-2009 (OK)

Erich Kunzel: Beethoven: Wellington's Victory; Liszt: Battle Of The Huns (nope), Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture, Capriccio Italien, Etc (OK)

There are some others failing to update, like: Sinéad O'Connor, Osmo Vänskä and a couple of others that have hashtags in the album titles, but the vast majority fit the above pattern.

You're Welcome  :thumb:

A follow-up: I went through and identified all albums that contained a single quote in the file path (i.e. folder name) and remove it - now, these albums all display artwork in the Artists View.

Definitely a bug in the code that processes artwork, with respect to escaping single quote chars in the leading path.

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
« Reply #1705 on: 18 Apr 2016, 04:44 pm »
Please help me to understand a very basic question on these two commands in MM.

What's the difference between Media Player Settings->Reset BD->Sorting Music into Bryston DB:NN%, and Update?

Settings->Music Player Demon shows Enable Update At Startup and lets user to opt between check or not its box, but not to Reset DB at startup.

When should I use the readily available Update, or when the Reset DB command?

I'm facing trouble with Sonny Rollins Sonny, Please.flac - it shows in Artist View but would not play through the BDP-2 from this view, and it perfectly does in VLC or Audition.
It neither plays from NAS, nor from USB attached storage.
Nothing changes whether Update nor Reset.

It wouldn't play from Artist View only (just like it didn't exist ... it doesn't even load these .flac)

And it will perfectly play if I make a Playlist of each distinct .flac file  :?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1706 on: 18 Apr 2016, 06:05 pm »

What's the difference between Media Player Settings->Reset BD->Sorting Music into Bryston DB:NN%, and Update?

Settings->Music Player Demon shows Enable Update At Startup and lets user to opt between check or not its box, but not to Reset DB at startup.

When should I use the readily available Update, or when the Reset DB command?

I'm facing trouble with Sonny Rollins Sonny, Please.flac - it shows in Artist View but would not play through the BDP-2 from this view, and it perfectly does in VLC or Audition.
It neither plays from NAS, nor from USB attached storage.
Nothing changes whether Update nor Reset.

It wouldn't play from Artist View only (just like it didn't exist ... it doesn't even load these .flac)

And it will perfectly play if I make a Playlist of each distinct .flac file  :?

Hi Fernando,

The update button forces the BDP to scan your entire music library for changes, you can do more select updates using other features in the interface.  Once this has been done you should see the music appear in the default view (the view that lets to you navigate your library by the file folder structure of your collection).  In the Media Player Daemons settings page, the update on startup simply tells the BDP to look for any changes in the music library (in case you added or removed songs while the BDP was off).  This option should be off if your using a NAS as it may trigger the BDP to start over every time the BDP is turned on. 

Reset DB should only be used if your having difficulties with the Artist view and not the Default view.  If music is missing or showing up incorrectly you should attempt to update the mpd database (the "update" button) or if that doesn't resolve the issue there is a clear cache button in Media Player Daemon settings page that delete the MPD database file and starts over.

Cheers,
Chris

Fernando

« Reply #1707 on: 18 Apr 2016, 06:31 pm »

This should have been the same question as above.

How to proceed when Dashboard tells Bryston DB crash detected?
Enable Update At Startup is _not_ checked.

Should I,

1- Settings->System->Reboot BDP
2- Media Player Settings->Reset DB
3- Update

Almost always, or simply always, 'Bryston DB crash detected' shows on Dashboard when Sorting music into Bryston DB:nn% (81 and 96% are frequent figures)
And almost always, but _not_ always, when NAS and USB are feeding the BDP-2 together.
Could this be an information overload?

I've tried each 1, 2, 3 - but didn't reach consistent results.

:?

Fernando

« Reply #1708 on: 18 Apr 2016, 06:36 pm »
or if that doesn't resolve the issue there is a clear cache button in Media Player Daemon settings page that delete the MPD database file and starts over.

Hi Chris,

We were both posting at the same time. Nonetheless, I posted what I wrote above.

Yes, I tried 'clear cache' yesterday - this Sonny Please is driving me mad.

But this command didn't help.

Yes, I had disabled Update at Startup since using NAS.

Shall see what happens now.

Thank you,

Fernando.

Krutsch

« Reply #1709 on: 20 Apr 2016, 05:20 pm »
Listening to one of my favorite albums today, after the massive re-naming exercise to get my artwork to display.

Then I noticed this:

...loaded the album via the Default View. Tracks are ordered: 1,10,11,12,13,14,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

I checked the meta data in the album and track index tags are all there, but there is no leading zero (0) in front of the single digit values. Is that a requirement for Manic Moose? That is: 01, 02, 03...

Fernando

« Reply #1710 on: 20 Apr 2016, 06:30 pm »
I checked the meta data in the album and track index tags are all there, but there is no leading zero (0) in front of the single digit values. Is that a requirement for Manic Moose? That is: 01, 02, 03...

good guess, Krutsch ... my guess is that it's not a requirement ... I'll try your hypothesis later today, had thought about that 'requirement' before.

there are more issues regarding Artist view, such as when file is image.ape, and more.

just solved 'Sonny, Please' !

« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2016, 01:19 am by Fernando »

Krutsch

« Reply #1711 on: 21 Apr 2016, 12:07 am »
Listening to one of my favorite albums today, after the massive re-naming exercise to get my artwork to display.

Then I noticed this:

<snip, snip>

...loaded the album via the Default View. Tracks are ordered: 1,10,11,12,13,14,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

Tried that with some test tracks. No dice. MPD skips over these, completely, and they don't show up at all in either Manic Moose or MPD apps.

Not sure what the work-around is for this issue...

ttsto

« Reply #1712 on: 21 Apr 2016, 04:41 am »
what is the rule you use in file name creation (not tags, but actual file name)?

Krutsch

« Reply #1713 on: 21 Apr 2016, 05:16 am »
what is the rule you use in file name creation (not tags, but actual file name)?

I use XLD to rip/convert; I like the AccurateRip database integration, so I know I am getting a perfect rip.

I use the following in XLD's preferences dialog:

...which translates into something like: 01-01 Chopin_ Violin Concerto No.1.aiff

or: disc # - track# <space> track title.aiff (my lossless collection for the BDP is AIFF, with a mix of MP3 and AAC lossy files).

I also let XLD replace a collection of characters that can cause problems, as shown in the image, with safe characters like hyphens and underscores.

Krutsch

« Reply #1714 on: 23 Apr 2016, 02:42 pm »

Then I noticed this:

Chris,

Any thoughts on this issue? I am at loss, with regards to any kind of a work-around with respect to track ordering with greater than 10 tracks.

Are you not experiencing this issue, yourself? Can I upload test tracks to help?

Ken

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1715 on: 23 Apr 2016, 04:59 pm »
Question:

Is it possible to output of the BDP-2 to TWO separate USB DACs at the same time?

I tried using an iFI USB 3.0 with dual USB output, going out to the BDA-3 and another DAC but it only will send the signal to one.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1716 on: 23 Apr 2016, 05:12 pm »
Question:

Is it possible to output of the BDP-2 to TWO separate USB DACs at the same time?

I tried using an iFI USB 3.0 with dual USB output, going out to the BDA-3 and another DAC but it only will send the signal to one.

The BDP should output on all interfaces, have you checked the Audio Devices page to see all DAC's are detected and showing in white?

Cheers,
Chris

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1717 on: 23 Apr 2016, 05:57 pm »
The BDP should output on all interfaces, have you checked the Audio Devices page to see all DAC's are detected and showing in white?

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris:

Yes, all interfaces are active on Audio Devices page. I only get audio one DAC or another, even after rebooting.

I will try it without the iFI USB 3.0 as well, that may be the issue, as the BDP-2 probably requires I use two cables from two
different USB outputs, although iFI claims you can use two DACs with their hub.

As a separate issue, I know allowing the BDP-2 to output AES/EBU and USB simultaneously is being worked on.

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1718 on: 23 Apr 2016, 09:54 pm »

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris:

I have two USB DACS connected to the BDP-2, devices confirmed active, each connected with separate cables and output ports from the BDP.

I can def only get audio out of one. They both work perfectly when connected one at a time.

Any thoughts?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1719 on: 24 Apr 2016, 03:08 am »
Hi Chris:

I have two USB DACS connected to the BDP-2, devices confirmed active, each connected with separate cables and output ports from the BDP.

I can def only get audio out of one. They both work perfectly when connected one at a time.

Any thoughts?

How are you playing back music?