Marius

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1620 on: 7 Mar 2016, 02:52 pm »

Does it?
of the other players i meant , hope the bdp/mm will concur  some time soon

vklyushnikov

« Reply #1621 on: 7 Mar 2016, 03:13 pm »
I tried using MinimServer + BubbleUPnP with the BDP-1, as an alternative. It does work and MinimServer has none of the above library issues (well, nothing else I've tried does, either). However, the BDP-1 uses gmediarender for UPnP playback, which is unfortunate, as it (a) fails to play any of my non-DRM'd AAC files (I have to use MinimStreamer to transcode them to WAV), (b) sometimes inserts a small tick or pop between gapless tracks and (c) doesn't sound as good as MPD playback. Other MPD-based systems use upmpdci as a UPnP Media Renderer front-end for MPD; Volumio, for example, has none of the artifacts I've experienced with gmediarender.

I will wait to see if Roon materializes on the BDP-1 and listen to how it sounds. In the meantime, I am back to MPaD  :(
Its easy to setup upmpdcli on separate linux PC because it can work with remote MPD instance on BDP. However I had some bugs using upmpdcli with JRiver UPnP server so I think this is half baked solution. Cannot understand why Bryston cannot invest into developing their own high quality BDP network renderer - this will solve all problems and allow us to use Jriver based media library. I don't care about Roon - I hate to be tied with single software vendor and proprietary network cloud.   

Krutsch

« Reply #1622 on: 7 Mar 2016, 03:35 pm »
Cannot understand why Bryston cannot invest into developing their own high quality BDP network renderer...

I wish that too, but Bryston won't ever do this, because that is contrary to their philosophy, which is locally attached media playback sounds better.

Obviously, a high quality network renderer can be implemented; just ask Linn, Naim, Aurender, AURALiC or even the guys at Volumio.org.

MPD playback on the BDP-1 sounds fantastic, but options for library playback are way behind the rest of the field.

Marius

« Reply #1623 on: 7 Mar 2016, 03:44 pm »

Not sure about this particular Bryston philosophy you quote, i believe Chris has often written about the NAS connection, and it sounding as good as the locally attached USB drives.
Personally, i feel  there's no difference either.
IOW, that shouldn't hold Bryston from developing what u wish for.

Marius

I wish that too, but Bryston won't ever do this, because that is contrary to their philosophy, which is locally attached media playback sounds better.

Obviously, a high quality network renderer can be implemented; just ask Linn, Naim, Aurender, AURALiC or even the guys at Volumio.org.

MPD playback on the BDP-1 sounds fantastic, but options for library playback are way behind the rest of the field.

Krutsch

« Reply #1624 on: 7 Mar 2016, 03:50 pm »
... Chris has often written about the NAS connection, and it sounding as good as the locally attached USB drives.

NAS and USB playback are effectively the same approach. I am talking about a network renderer, as in uPnP or DLNA control and playback. The latter gives you almost unlimited options for library management and playback control. The former (USB, NAS) leaves you with Manic Moose or a couple of MPD playback apps, none of which are currently maintained on the app stores (and all of which, in comparison, are weak).

Marius

« Reply #1625 on: 7 Mar 2016, 08:10 pm »
NAS and USB playback are effectively the same approach. I am talking about a network renderer, as in uPnP or DLNA control and playback. The latter gives you almost unlimited options for library management and playback control. The former (USB, NAS) leaves you with Manic Moose or a couple of MPD playback apps, none of which are currently maintained on the app stores (and all of which, in comparison, are weak).

I see, sorry for the mixup.

As for QoS of the renderers, I've yet to come across one that sounds as wonderful as the USB MPD combo. Tend to agree with the Brystonians there... Still, it could and should be better than it is now. Soundwise (as you have worded precisely enough, and also on the aspect of user friendliness and interfacing.

Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #1626 on: 8 Mar 2016, 07:01 am »
Discouraging. Well, it seems that these issues won't be addressed and I will stop posting my findings.

If there was a work-around for the track index issue, I would be willing to rename/re-tag things. But to update my library to accommodate MM, I would need to fix tags for track index (for which there is no work-around), separate multi-disc albums to fix that issue, rename any albums with duplicate titles from different artists (i.e. the "Greatest Hits" issue), rename all of my albums/artists that contain non-english characters. A lot of work...

Fwiw, I cleared the covert art issue just too soon..

discovered yet another rip with all issues alive... coverart not loading, mixing up the tracks. Be it tags over filename, or the other way round. MM displays them in the same wrong order
:scratch: It is a multiple cd folder, cds 1, 2, 3 and 4, and then numbering starting with .01 up to the 20's. Of 4 opera;s only the 4th (Götterdämmerung) is wrong, starting with the 4th cd... miraculous.

btw, this is a great example of the need for a direct link from the playlist file being played, to the same file in the browser folder. I now need 6/7 clicks each time i go from the folder to the playlist, including some having scrolling........

Klassiek (drive selection)/klassiek/heavy scrolling and click to wagner/ring des nibelungen/solti/gotterdammerung/tracknumber ...

please Chris, add a 1 click go to the current file playing!
also, make this long tree visible completely in the white section of the browser.

Cheers,
Marius

« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2016, 06:40 am by Marius »

Marius

« Reply #1627 on: 8 Mar 2016, 09:13 pm »
Hi Chris

Would it be possible to move the play buttons to a position just above the playlist itself on MM Mobile? Right now we have to scroll all the way up to the top of the page for hitting play/stop/etc and then go back again to select songs.

Browsing up and down quite a bit, while that could be a lot easier.
Just a thought.

Cheers Marius
« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2016, 08:46 am by Marius »

Marius

« Reply #1628 on: 9 Mar 2016, 07:23 pm »
well, this is a first for me in 5/6 years: i'm playing music on the BDP1, and all seems working fine. Except there is no sound at all  :scratch: :scratch:

Im not 100% certain, but i think it is the first time i play with the latest beta build Chris made available. Has anything changed Chris? can i check a specific setting somewhere in the firmware? I see both ESI Juli@ entries, but of course don't have them disabled...

Have of course checked amps and dac which all play fine on others sources.

Please help...

Btw Chris, can we disable the popup messages? I find them quite intruding, especially on mobile. I do know by now i can put a bookmark on the desktop....don't need these 'tips' each time i load the bdp homepage.

Marius

Marius

« Reply #1629 on: 10 Mar 2016, 08:26 am »
Hi Folks, Chris,

Though im not easily panicked, im starting to get worried now. I'
ve tried it all, up to a power down/up pulling the plug from the wall, all to no avail.

Still my BDP displays everything fine, no error what so ever, but no music is heard. Nothing at all, not out of the AES/EBU nor the SPDIF.

Need some guidance here,

Chris, if you're there, servicemode 110 please?
Marius

MPD log:

Mar 10 07:44 : avahi: Service 'BDP' successfully established.
Mar 10 07:48 : alsa_output: Failed to open "ESI Juli@-00" [alsa]: Error opening ALSA device "plughw:0,0" (snd_pcm_hw_params): Device or resource busy
Mar 10 07:48 : alsa_output: Failed to open "ESI Juli@-01" [alsa]: Failed to open ALSA device "plughw:0,1": Device or resource busy
Mar 10 07:48 : output: Failed to open audio output
Mar 10 07:48 : player: problems opening audio device while playing "BRYSTON/01 - Dave's True Story/01- Misery.flac"
Mar 10 07:49 : player: played "BRYSTON/01 - Dave's True Story/01- Misery.flac"
Mar 10 07:49 : alsa_output: Failed to open "ESI Juli@-00" [alsa]: Error opening ALSA device "plughw:0,0" (snd_pcm_hw_params): Device or resource busy
Mar 10 07:49 : alsa_output: Failed to open "ESI Juli@-01" [alsa]: Failed to open ALSA device "plughw:0,1": Device or resource busy
Mar 10 07:49 : output: Failed to open audio output
Mar 10 07:49 : player: problems opening audio device while playing "BRYSTON/01 - Dave's True Story/01- Misery.flac"

well, this is a first for me in 5/6 years: i'm playing music on the BDP1, and all seems working fine. Except there is no sound at all  :scratch: :scratch:

Im not 100% certain, but i think it is the first time i play with the latest beta build Chris made available. Has anything changed Chris? can i check a specific setting somewhere in the firmware? I see both ESI Juli@ entries, but of course don't have them disabled...

Have of course checked amps and dac which all play fine on others sources.

Please help...

Btw Chris, can we disable the popup messages? I find them quite intruding, especially on mobile. I do know by now i can put a bookmark on the desktop....don't need these 'tips' each time i load the bdp homepage.

Marius

Rod_S

« Reply #1630 on: 10 Mar 2016, 12:45 pm »
Did you try going back to a production firmware? i.e. remove the Beta you installed

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1631 on: 10 Mar 2016, 01:15 pm »
Hi Folks, Chris,

Though im not easily panicked, im starting to get worried now. I'
ve tried it all, up to a power down/up pulling the plug from the wall, all to no avail.

Still my BDP displays everything fine, no error what so ever, but no music is heard. Nothing at all, not out of the AES/EBU nor the SPDIF.

Need some guidance here,

Chris, if you're there, servicemode 110 please?
Marius

MPD log:

Mar 10 07:48 : alsa_output: Failed to open "ESI Juli@-00" [alsa]: Error opening ALSA device "plughw:0,0" (snd_pcm_hw_params): Device or resource busy
Mar 10 07:48 : alsa_output: Failed to open "ESI Juli@-01" [alsa]: Failed to open ALSA device "plughw:0,1": Device or resource busy
Mar 10 07:48 : output: Failed to open audio output
Mar 10 07:48 : player: problems opening audio device while playing "BRYSTON/01 - Dave's True Story/01- Misery.flac"
Mar 10 07:49 : player: played "BRYSTON/01 - Dave's True Story/01- Misery.flac"
Mar 10 07:49 : alsa_output: Failed to open "ESI Juli@-00" [alsa]: Error opening ALSA device "plughw:0,0" (snd_pcm_hw_params): Device or resource busy
Mar 10 07:49 : alsa_output: Failed to open "ESI Juli@-01" [alsa]: Failed to open ALSA device "plughw:0,1": Device or resource busy
Mar 10 07:49 : output: Failed to open audio output
Mar 10 07:49 : player: problems opening audio device while playing "BRYSTON/01 - Dave's True Story/01- Misery.flac"

Perhaps you should place the BDP into service mode and email me the service id

Marius

« Reply #1632 on: 10 Mar 2016, 01:23 pm »
thats what i did, servicemode 110.

But believe it or not, after i posted the electrical net provider arrived, changed my ancient energy-meter into an intelligent one, and upon rejuicing my house, the ac adapter of my cablemodem died.... No internet for now..

Is there anything i can do myself Chris?

Marius

Perhaps you should place the BDP into service mode and email me the service id

Marius

« Reply #1633 on: 10 Mar 2016, 01:24 pm »
don't think i have a backup, but maybe Chris can tell me if thats a useful operation.

Did you try going back to a production firmware? i.e. remove the Beta you installed

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1634 on: 10 Mar 2016, 11:04 pm »
You can switch between stable and testing releases by using the update firmware functionality, although the I just released another testing build so if your running a testing build you can only go back to the stable or today's testing.

Marius

« Reply #1635 on: 11 Mar 2016, 06:32 am »
You can switch between stable and testing releases by using the update firmware functionality, although the I just released another testing build so if your running a testing build you can only go back to the stable or today's testing.

Since my cable modem died yesterday, i wont have internet till Saturday . If there's anything else I can do in settings or ssh that could be done. Otherwise I'll have to wait.

Marius

RonCH

« Reply #1636 on: 11 Mar 2016, 11:00 am »

I installed the latest Beta and now my BDP isn't booting fully.  The web interface is unresponsive.  A little annoying because my new BDA3 has just arrived....

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1637 on: 11 Mar 2016, 11:26 am »
I installed the latest Beta and now my BDP isn't booting fully.  The web interface is unresponsive.  A little annoying because my new BDA3 has just arrived....

Hi

I installed the new beta on 2 of my BDP-2's and all is OK???

Make sure you refresh your browser.

james

RonCH

« Reply #1638 on: 11 Mar 2016, 11:38 am »
Hi

I installed the new beta on 2 of my BDP-2's and all is OK???

Make sure you refresh your browser.

james

It's not a browser problem.  After about 10 minutes I can get part of the page to load. It's like my BDP is looping.  Is there still ssh access to BDPs or has that been disabled? 

RonCH

« Reply #1639 on: 11 Mar 2016, 11:40 am »
It's not a browser problem.  After about 10 minutes I can get part of the page to load. It's like my BDP is looping.  Is there still ssh access to BDPs or has that been disabled? 

And mine is a BDP-1