Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Ritchief

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1480 on: 17 Jan 2016, 10:45 pm »
Grit,

Now all working, notwithstanding I totally screwed up my router and had to do a full reset....

Thank you.

Rod_S

« Reply #1481 on: 17 Jan 2016, 11:51 pm »
yes, now I understand you better, Rod.
you are counting a total of two windows (frames within a window, could be?), each one with its scroll bar, so two scroll bars.
I had understood that you were counting three windows / frames - and that I couldn't enable a third view. I never counted two windows, because the right window is large (in my 1920*1080 monitor) and this made me to name it "main window" instead of "right window". I didn't have a name for the small area, left window - but it is so important that this one (left) should be named "main window", depending on the naming criteria.

anyway, I think we both share the idea that more flexible information is desirable in Artist View.
yes, now that you mentioned it, me too I think a chronological order would be quite a feature. I do the same when physically order my albums in a very basic mode.

I can not make that happen here with firefox 43.0.4 on windows 7.1 -
Left and Right windows behave independently, even with my most populated Artist View - Miles Davis currently ranks with 133 albums - 855 songs. I cannot make both windows to scroll along together, under this view.
I don't have an iPad to compare, my HP tablet with w8.1 died about three months ago - but I will check with a laptop which has a smaller screen. If I find the same issue there on the Asus X555L, I will report back.

Thank you, Rod.

Fernando.

You're welcome.

Yeah perhaps frames are a better term to use rather than windows. I'll try the Chrome browser on my iPad to see if I get the same behavior. I can also try using my laptop, I have both Windows Edge and Chrome installed and like you my resolution is 1920x1080.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1482 on: 17 Jan 2016, 11:54 pm »
Grit,

Now all working, notwithstanding I totally screwed up my router and had to do a full reset....

Thank you.

Ah, cool. Glad you're up and running again. It's frustrating when you can't just enjoy the music.

- Garrett

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
« Reply #1483 on: 18 Jan 2016, 02:37 am »
It's frustrating when you can't just enjoy the music.

- Garrett

yes it is, Garrett. I feel happy 'cause you were able to help Ritchie.

on the other hand, I frequently think that to 'enjoy the music' - a very difficult challenge is assumed.
therefore, I wouldn't say '«just» enjoy the music'. The challenge is not a simple one.

this comes from the time I first listened Eric Dolphy telling his audience, during his last recording in 1964 "Last Date".
during the last seconds of the last song (Miss Ann) one can hear Mr. Dolphy's voice:
"When you hear music, after it's over, it's gone in the air. You can never capture it again."
... and it was impossible for me to capture that enigmatic sentence from that vinyl copy of his last concert, into my 90 minutes cassette copy during 1980.
I tend to think he is (was?) right.
But we shall pursue, nonetheless.

Excuse me people, for my off-topic post.

Fernando.

Marius

« Reply #1484 on: 18 Jan 2016, 08:34 am »
Hi Ritch,

Good to see you got it all working.
You describe my preferred way of solving connection issues: reboot usually does the trick. Bdp (sometimes even a unplug/re-plug action is needed), router (when bryston-bdp-1.local won't work), or even the odd iphone/mpd (if it won't see the BDP anymore).Reset if things really got screwed up ( DB enable/disable or vv, combined with MPD changes)
No fixed ip addresses needed.
Also, sometimes a bit of patience is a great way of letting the BDP sort things out... Most of the time it finds its way automatically.
Now hit the play-button!

Cheers,
Marius

Grit,

Thank you.

Rod_S

« Reply #1485 on: 19 Jan 2016, 12:10 am »
You're welcome.

Yeah perhaps frames are a better term to use rather than windows. I'll try the Chrome browser on my iPad to see if I get the same behavior. I can also try using my laptop, I have both Windows Edge and Chrome installed and like you my resolution is 1920x1080.

So I did try my laptop, both Edge and Chrome do the work similarly to Safari on my iPad, in fact the left scroll bar starts scrolling immediately as soon as you move the right.

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
« Reply #1486 on: 19 Jan 2016, 03:09 am »
So I did try my laptop, both Edge and Chrome do the work similarly to Safari on my iPad, in fact the left scroll bar starts scrolling immediately as soon as you move the right.

Ouch ! _  :cry:  :icon_surprised:  :cry:

I don't have Chrome installed on my w7.1, and reluctant to jump to w10 (doubt it would support NikonScan driver - Firewire 400 conn)
I owe Mozilla the possibility to switch from MacOS 8.6 to windows XP, 10 years ago.
I was advised to switch to Chrome, but ... I cannot check Chrome on w7.1 here ... right now ...

so, it is an issue to solve.

while at it, I observed something which may be related to what you found:
1- playing an album in Artist View window
2- switch to Default View window
3- switch back to Artist View window → 4- the album I am listening to, disappeared from Artist View window, where I had started at 1-  ...  :? and  :o

Fernando.

Rod_S

« Reply #1487 on: 19 Jan 2016, 10:14 pm »
Just performed the final check, Chrome on my iPad and like everything else, the left frame/window is locked to the right, scrolling the right automatically starts scrolling the left.

Krutsch

« Reply #1488 on: 19 Jan 2016, 11:56 pm »
Yes... I grabbed this last night and updated my RoonServer and re-tested with RAAT on my BDP-1. Still no love for high-res tracks, but Redbook and Tidal works very well (i..e sounds good and no issues or artifacts during playback).

Quick update to this: I simply went into the Audio Setup in Roon for the Bryston BDP-1 RAAT device and set the max sample rate to 48kHz.

Now, Roon down-samples my high-res tracks to 44.1 or 48, depending on the starting resolution, and leaves the bit-depth untouched. Sounds nice, from what I can tell and makes for a fantastic user experience for My Library + Tidal.

I am still hoping that the BDP-1 + Roon can support high-res tracks, but this is pretty nice, so far.

Krutsch

« Reply #1489 on: 20 Jan 2016, 03:20 am »
Can not use a system volume as the scratch drive

...is what I read when I try to create a scratch drive; doesn't matter whether it's a USB HDD or a Flash/Thumb drive; tried different sizes and made sure all attempts were with a FAT32 formatted, MBR-partitioned drive.

This behavior has been in all of the recent betas and I used to back-date to the previous stable release to create a scratch drive. Now, the latest stable release has this issue and I cannot seem to create a scratch drive. Makes using NAS shares rather slow/difficult.

S2.22 2016-01-11
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.19.12 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486

gtaphile

« Reply #1490 on: 20 Jan 2016, 03:40 am »
Sorry to bring this question up but I could not find a clear answer when I searched the topics.

Does the BDP-1 (not BDP-USB) support Tidal ? If so what firmware is require?

Thanks you

volpone

« Reply #1491 on: 20 Jan 2016, 08:23 am »
Hello,
I'm a newbie and want to know if posting here is possible (allowed) ?
Regards

volpone

« Reply #1492 on: 20 Jan 2016, 08:51 am »
So seems possible to post here.. :D

Hello again from the newbie,
I'm in Paris (France), sorry for my English.
I'm using Roon ecosystem since few months in a multi-room setup. Very satisfied about user experience and SQ (near 7000 local albums, mainly red book FLACs + TIDAL Hifi subscription).

On the way, i hope, to upgrade my main listening room current digital hifi setup with Bryston's devices:
- BDP-2 as a "RoonReady" networked endpoint
- BDA-3 to replace my Rega DAC

Projected setup:
NAS (audio files) > NUC (RoonServer) > Ethernet (Gigabit wired) > BDP-2 (Roon option) > USB or AES > BDA-3 > Analog audio

Some questions about BDP-2 in this Roon networked context (I'm not interested in playing from BDP internal or external drives, only from RoonServer via wired Ethernet):

- What is displayed on the BDP-2 small green LCD screen when a title is played from Roon ?
- Are the "Now Playing" metadata (artist, title ...) scrolling ?
- Are the transport buttons on the BDP front panel (play - pause etc ...) usable to control the stream played from RoonServer via RAAT protocol ?
- What about SQ comparing to MPD or UpNP ? Roon streams bitperfect and it is easy to display "Signal Chain" informations on the Roon UI for issues like transcoding, decimation, truncation etc ...
- Is BDP-2 DSD compatible from Ethernet input to USB output ? (Roon is streaming native DSD or DoP)

Thank's in advance.
Regards.
Volpone
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2016, 06:37 pm by volpone »

gustavog

« Reply #1493 on: 20 Jan 2016, 01:06 pm »
Quick update to this: I simply went into the Audio Setup in Roon for the Bryston BDP-1 RAAT device and set the max sample rate to 48kHz.

Now, Roon down-samples my high-res tracks to 44.1 or 48, depending on the starting resolution, and leaves the bit-depth untouched. Sounds nice, from what I can tell and makes for a fantastic user experience for My Library + Tidal.

I am still hoping that the BDP-1 + Roon can support high-res tracks, but this is pretty nice, so far.

The BDP-1 + Roon DO support high-res tracks. I think it is an issue with your network. I was using a powerline network adapter to connect my BDP-1 to my router and with that I had to set Roon to max out streaming at 96khz. I then threw a LAN cable instead between the two and now I can stream even 192khz (that's the highest sample rate I have). It sounds quite good. There is an edge in SQ when using MPD but Roon is not that bad. I have been using Roon in this way and doubt that I will get back to MPD,  from the point of view of convenience. I look forward to Bryston to evolve this.
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2016, 06:53 pm by gustavog »

gustavog

« Reply #1494 on: 20 Jan 2016, 01:14 pm »

I'm using Roon ecosystem since few months in a multi-room setup. Very satisfied about user experience and SQ (near 7000 local albums, mainly red book FLACs + TIDAL Hifi subscription).

On the way, i hope, to upgrade my main listening room current digital hifi setup with Bryston's devices:

Projected setup:
NAS (audio files) > NUC (RoonServer) > Ethernet (wired) > BDP-2 (Roon option) > USB or AES > BDA-3 > Analog audio

Some questions about BDP-2 in this Roon networked context (I'm not interested in playing from BDP internal or external drives, only from RoonServer via wired Ethernet):

- What is displayed on the BDP-2 small green LCD screen when a title is played from Roon ?
- Are the transport buttons on the BDP front panel (play - pause etc ...) usable to control the stream played from RoonServer via RAAT protocol ?
- What about SQ comparing to MPD or UpNP ? Roon streams bitperfect and it is easy to display "Signal Chain" informations on the Roon UI for issues like transcoding, decimation, truncation etc ...
- Is BDP-2 DSD compatible from Ethernet input ? (Roon is streaming native DSD or DoP)

Thank's in advance.
Regards.
Volpone

I am currently running my BDP-1 as a Roon endpoint. Nothing is displayed on the green display, the front panel buttons do not work and the BR-2 remote does not work as well. Not sure if something can be done here but I hope Bryston finds a way for them to work in the context of the BDP as a Roon endpoint.

Krutsch

« Reply #1495 on: 20 Jan 2016, 02:36 pm »
The BDP-1 + Roon DO support high-res tracks. I think it is an issue with your network. I was using a powerline network adapter to connect my BDP-1 to my router and with that I had to set Roon to max out streaming at 96khz. I then threw a LAN cable instead between the two and now I can stream even 192khz (that's the highest sample rate I have). It sounds quite good. Maybe there is an edge in SQ when using MPD but it is not that noticeable. I have been using Roon in this way and doubt that I will get back to MPD. I look forward to Bryston to evolve this.

Well, you are probably right.

FWIW, my BDP-1 is connected via an Apple Airport Express as a wireless bridge, about 10- feet from my router and reports a connect speed of 300 Mbps, which feeds into a 100 Mbps port on the BDP-1.

I have no trouble streaming uncompressed 192/24 WAV via DLNA into the same connection, but maybe there is more protocol overhead with RAAT - particularly at the start of streaming, as I have noticed with 96/24 tracks that I get drop outs at the start and then it sort-of settles down and works.

I will try this with a LAN connection and see if makes any difference.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1496 on: 20 Jan 2016, 06:29 pm »

I'm playing some 192khz/24bit from a nas to my pc (roon server) to my BDP-1 just fine, i suspect you have a bottle neck somewhere.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1497 on: 20 Jan 2016, 06:32 pm »
...is what I read when I try to create a scratch drive; doesn't matter whether it's a USB HDD or a Flash/Thumb drive; tried different sizes and made sure all attempts were with a FAT32 formatted, MBR-partitioned drive.

This behavior has been in all of the recent betas and I used to back-date to the previous stable release to create a scratch drive. Now, the latest stable release has this issue and I cannot seem to create a scratch drive. Makes using NAS shares rather slow/difficult.

S2.22 2016-01-11
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.19.12 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486
Unless you place your BDP into service mode and email me the service id I really can't tell you why it isn't working.  Also the scratch drive at this point is only used to cache picture files from Tidal (assuming your using the Tidal app built into the firmware)

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1498 on: 20 Jan 2016, 06:46 pm »

Projected setup:
NAS (audio files) > NUC (RoonServer) > Ethernet (Gigabit wired) > BDP-2 (Roon option) > USB or AES > BDA-3 > Analog audio

- Is BDP-2 DSD compatible from Ethernet input ? (Roon is streaming native DSD or DoP)

Thank's in advance.
Regards.
Volpone

First our product isn't RoonReady, we are in the early stages of development for Roon support and have simply made what we are working on available to the general public. 

Currently the display doesn't show anything, but there API does allow for it.
Nothing will ever scroll on the display of the BDP-1 or 2, support in the micro that controls the display never had that implemented.
The button are not currently able to control roon, but there API does allow for it.

As for sound quality, my boss emailed me from CES (vegas show) when I first implemented the feature saying it sounded not very good.  The protocol does seem to require quite a bit of bandwidth and/or frequent access to the network.

My A/B setup for my boss was a BDP-1 (juli@ card) running MPD hooked up to a BDA-2 via coax and BDP-2 (new IAD card) running Roon hooked up to the same BDA-2 via the second coax.  All inter connects where Bryston made interconnects and the rest of the system was single ended rca to a B60 with a pair of Grado SR125's.

With the same song playing on both units within about second of each other and James not knowing what he was listening to otherwise.  Picked the BDP-1 running MPD as his favourite each time, i would say depending on how good your system is and how critical you are that there could potentially be a pretty noticeable gap between the two.

Krutsch

« Reply #1499 on: 20 Jan 2016, 07:10 pm »
Unless you place your BDP into service mode and email me the service id I really can't tell you why it isn't working.  Also the scratch drive at this point is only used to cache picture files from Tidal (assuming your using the Tidal app built into the firmware)

PM sent. Thank you.