Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1460 on: 15 Jan 2016, 01:23 am »
wondering if that could be the problem i'm having with Agnes Buen Garnås & Jan Garbarek - Rosensfole - ECM 1402.
but my problem is that i cannot "SAVE" a playlist which contains Agnes Buen Garnås & Jan Garbarek.
this could well be due to another reason, since thumbnails for this one and others are o.k.

using the same as Krutsch:

S2.22 2016-01-11
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.19.12 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486

Fernando.

I can't say I have tested accented character with playlist names, but saving them to the playlist should be fine.  The only character I have ran into having problems with are back ticks and double quotes

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
« Reply #1461 on: 15 Jan 2016, 06:56 am »
, but saving them to the playlist should be fine.

yes, it should.
but the Playlist Editor blinked 'Saved!' only after i entered Garnas instead of Garnås ! _  :o

i don't mean this is only a question on accented characters.

rather, it seems to me that i don't get to understand the new Playlist Editor ...  :oops:
what exactly to expect from Append, Replace, Remove, Cancel ... maybe i messed commands without knowing beforehand where would i arrive to.

the new PE looked deceptively simple, and i fear i have made too many mistakes.

one of them could be very reason why i cannot save Garnås in a playlist.

but i don't have a clue in this particular case.

every other playlist show up after a a blinking 'Saved!' _  :?

cheers,

Fernando.

Fernando

« Reply #1462 on: 16 Jan 2016, 03:06 am »
I can't say I have tested accented character with playlist names, but saving them to the playlist should be fine.

excuse my insistence, Chris ... but now i'm fairly sure that it doesn't like windows Alt 0229 (å), when building a playlist ...

have overcome other personal difficulties in understanding the new playlist editor (not all of them, but those referring to this issue).

Alt 0229 remains as an issue; the playlist doesn't 'Save!' if it contains an å ...  :(

built 2 identical playlists, one from my USB WDMyBook 1Tb, and the other one from my WDMyCloud 3Tb NAS (named each one WD1Tb.USB, and WD3Tb.NAS respectively - so as to distinguish where from either of those HDD the files are being read).

no problem unless i named either of each playlist, using Alt 0229 ... as said, the BDP2 will not 'Save!' a playlist with that very character - should see if other existing Alt codes are refused the same way.

and it shouldn't be the only one, it could be the group i know as Extra Letters : Alt 0229, 0140, 0254, 0216, 0198 and so on.
but i did not test any of these, only 0229.

hope this helps.
only an idea of mine ...

Cheers,

Fernando.
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2016, 07:14 pm by Fernando »

Rod_S

« Reply #1463 on: 16 Jan 2016, 03:58 pm »
Is there a way in a future firmware release to implement fully independent scrolling of the left & right windows in Artist View? I find that once you select your Artist and the right window opens with the albums and you start scrolling through the albums you get to a point that the left window starts scrolling with the right window which can be very annoying because you now have to scroll the left window to return to where you were in your artist list. The left window should remain fixed/locked at the point you left it and started using the right window.

Another convenient feature to have in the right window of the Artist View is a list box or combo box with a few sorting options plus an ascending/descending option. The window currently sorts the albums alphabetically I believe however it would be nice if we could also sort that list by say album date (probably the Year tag) so you can see the proper order that the artists' albums were released. That's how I always tended to physically order my albums for each artist in my CD stands or cabinet shelves and I also tended to do that when I using larger CD changers.

Thanks

Ritchief

« Reply #1464 on: 16 Jan 2016, 06:47 pm »
Hoping some one can assist, I have just upgraded to the latest firmware on by BDP1:
S2.22 2016-01-11
MPD: 0.19.12 NEWS

However the MPD had crashed so I enabled it within "Services".  However whilst trying to play music the unit shows that it is playing the track but no sound comes out the speakers via the SP3. For clarity no cables etc have been touched or moved, so its not a connection issue..

I would be grateful for any help on this issue.

Thank you.

Ritchief

« Reply #1465 on: 16 Jan 2016, 07:37 pm »
Ok, so I changed the MPD to 17.6 and now it works....

Am I to assume that the BDP 1 can only use 17.6 and not the newer 19.12 ????

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1466 on: 16 Jan 2016, 08:21 pm »
Ok, so I changed the MPD to 17.6 and now it works....

Am I to assume that the BDP 1 can only use 17.6 and not the newer 19.12 ????

Hi

I am using 19.12 with no problem????

james

Ritchief

« Reply #1467 on: 16 Jan 2016, 09:31 pm »
James,

Thank you for responding..

I am obviously doing something wrong. What is the process to change to 19.12 and then getting the player to work.

Thank you

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1468 on: 16 Jan 2016, 10:47 pm »
James,

Thank you for responding..

I am obviously doing something wrong. What is the process to change to 19.12 and then getting the player to work.

Thank you

Hi

Not sure ... in my case I tell MPD to load 19.12 and then reboot???

Maybe Chris can comment.

james

Ritchief

« Reply #1469 on: 16 Jan 2016, 11:29 pm »
James,

I appear to be going around in loops and wasting my time with this new firmware update....

.....I now have MPD 19.12 showing in System but he main screen is now displaying MPD Crash Detected, what do I do now.....

Why is that every time I reboot MPD disappears from the Services Settings along with Shairplay ...this cannot be right.....thus going around in damn loops..

HELP required...

EDIT - it automatically updated and is showing MPD as enabled.....BUT, drives loaded (or at least partly) yet whilst the unit is showing as playing absolutely nothing can be heard......WTF is happening ??

[Sat Jan 16 23:40:33 2016] [error] [client 192.168.1.15] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: dev in /var/www/mpd/crash.php on line 302, referer: http://192.168.1.8/bryston/settings/system-log.php

I have put the unit in Service mode #154 so maybe Chris could have a look..

Thank you.

Fernando

« Reply #1470 on: 17 Jan 2016, 12:34 am »
Is there a way in a future firmware release to implement fully independent scrolling of the left & right windows in Artist View?

Hi Rod_S, Chris or anyone who's willing to help me with this basic question.

from what Rod wrote, i conclude that in Artist View, one can enable a window at the right _ but i may have misunderstood.

then, what is expected from me to do, so as the right window would show up ??

i only have a window at the left side, while Rod is thinking about making it work better !! _  :scratch:

thanks in advance,

Fernando.

ttsto

« Reply #1471 on: 17 Jan 2016, 10:53 am »
@Ritchief
You may try to reset global settings from menu (right arrow, down arrow several times until settings, right arrow, again down arrow)
in most cases this worked for me

After this step you will need to re-define NAS set-up and other settings if case, rebuild your media library, etc

Additionally check status of your flash card by Manic Moose interface, Disk  information, select System and Verify, if case - Repair

Also, there was a note in one of fw releases (2.18 maybe) that libraries larger than yyy will not be supported on BDP1

L.E.

S2.16 2015-06-19
System
MPD 0.19.9, not BDP-1 compatible; MPD 0.17.6 & 0.18.21 continue to function on BDP-1 hardware

S2.17 2015-06-24
Media Player - Bryston DB (Artist and Album view)
Complete overhaul of Bryston DB,
BDP-2 users should notice a performace increase of 1/2 time to build and
BDP-1 user should notice close to 1/4 (based on a library of 28,000 songs).
Those values are assuming cover art has already been resized (bdp_front_250.jpg has been created)
There is a down side to this new method, there is a limitation on library size
This limitation only concerns use of the artist and album(currently busted and in development) views.
BDP-1's will be limited to approximately 60,000 tracks before the system runs out of memory and
BDP-2 users would be limited to about 8x that.
This is a limitation of system memory required during the compilation of the database.
The two seperate stages of building (music and cover art) are now merged as one and not two seperate stages
Fixed cover art file name priority
If a picture file is not found, the BDP will now check if cover art is embedded in the music file (as tag data)

Rod_S

« Reply #1472 on: 17 Jan 2016, 02:54 pm »
Hi Rod_S, Chris or anyone who's willing to help me with this basic question.

from what Rod wrote, i conclude that in Artist View, one can enable a window at the right _ but i may have misunderstood.

then, what is expected from me to do, so as the right window would show up ??

i only have a window at the left side, while Rod is thinking about making it work better !! _  :scratch:

thanks in advance,

Fernando.

So when you enter into Artist view there is initially nothing in the right hand window, so 1stly you scroll through the Artist list on the left, pick an Artist then the right hand window becomes populated with the albums for the artist you just selected. If the Artist has a number of albums you have to scroll through them, this is in the right hand window. What I find happens with my iPad, latest version of iOS is that as I scroll down through the albums in the right window there is a point that the left window starts to scroll down as well. What I'm saying is that left hand window shouldn't be scrolling because it should be completely independent from the right hand window.

Marius

« Reply #1473 on: 17 Jan 2016, 05:19 pm »
HI Ritchie,

Both MPD crash detected and disabled MPD in settings are familiar..
On my BDP1 the crash is caused by the Bryston DB being enabled, while my library is too large for the BDP1 to handle that well. Disabling the Db stops the Db from crashing.. No artist view as a result though, but that wouldn't work anyhow, given the size of the library.

I suspect the size also causes the MPD to get disabled. Simply enabling it works fine, though Ive asked Chris before to check why it is happening. It just shouldn't. I do believe the latest beta, and maybe even stable release havent shown this behavior.

on MPD 19 and BDP1: Chris changed the firmware and MPD 19 is now fully supported on the BDP1, and i must say, it is operating better than ever before.

Cheers,
Marius

[/size]

James,

I appear to be going around in loops and wasting my time with this new firmware update....

.....I now have MPD 19.12 showing in System but he main screen is now displaying MPD Crash Detected, what do I do now.....

Why is that every time I reboot MPD disappears from the Services Settings along with Shairplay ...this cannot be right.....thus going around in damn loops..

HELP required...

EDIT - it automatically updated and is showing MPD as enabled.....BUT, drives loaded (or at least partly) yet whilst the unit is showing as playing absolutely nothing can be heard......WTF is happening ??

[Sat Jan 16 23:40:33 2016] [error] [client 192.168.1.15] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: dev in /var/www/mpd/crash.php on line 302, referer: http://192.168.1.8/bryston/settings/system-log.php

I have put the unit in Service mode #154 so maybe Chris could have a look..

Thank you.

Fernando

« Reply #1474 on: 17 Jan 2016, 05:24 pm »
So when you enter into Artist view there is initially nothing in the right hand window, so 1stly you scroll through the Artist list on the left, pick an Artist then the right hand window becomes populated with the albums for the artist you just selected. If the Artist has a number of albums you have to scroll through them, this is in the right hand window.

yes, now I understand you better, Rod.
you are counting a total of two windows (frames within a window, could be?), each one with its scroll bar, so two scroll bars.
I had understood that you were counting three windows / frames - and that I couldn't enable a third view. I never counted two windows, because the right window is large (in my 1920*1080 monitor) and this made me to name it "main window" instead of "right window". I didn't have a name for the small area, left window - but it is so important that this one (left) should be named "main window", depending on the naming criteria.

anyway, I think we both share the idea that more flexible information is desirable in Artist View.
yes, now that you mentioned it, me too I think a chronological order would be quite a feature. I do the same when physically order my albums in a very basic mode.

What I find happens with my iPad, latest version of iOS is that as I scroll down through the albums in the right window there is a point that the left window starts to scroll down as well. What I'm saying is that left hand window shouldn't be scrolling because it should be completely independent from the right hand window.

I can not make that happen here with firefox 43.0.4 on windows 7.1 -
Left and Right windows behave independently, even with my most populated Artist View - Miles Davis currently ranks with 133 albums - 855 songs. I cannot make both windows to scroll along together, under this view.
I don't have an iPad to compare, my HP tablet with w8.1 died about three months ago - but I will check with a laptop which has a smaller screen. If I find the same issue there on the Asus X555L, I will report back.

Thank you, Rod.

Fernando.

Ritchief

« Reply #1475 on: 17 Jan 2016, 06:55 pm »
Hi Marius,

Thank you for your help.

I have found that since the new firmware and in particular MPD 19.6 is causing my unit to disable the MPD or show it as crashed. Equally when rebooted / turned off or reset to factory the unit looses its ability to remember the MPD and the units shows "n" in the screen. This then has locked the controls out so that whatever button I press it does not react.

I have performed TTSTO advise but to no avail.

However, since reverting back to MDP 17.6 the unit works as designed.

So until Chris can offer so guidance and hopefully go digging into my unit whilst in service mode I will have to stick with the below:

S2.22 2016-01-11
MPD: 0.17.6 NEWS

Thank you.

Rich.

HI Ritchie,

Both MPD crash detected and disabled MPD in settings are familiar..
On my BDP1 the crash is caused by the Bryston DB being enabled, while my library is too large for the BDP1 to handle that well. Disabling the Db stops the Db from crashing.. No artist view as a result though, but that wouldn't work anyhow, given the size of the library.

I suspect the size also causes the MPD to get disabled. Simply enabling it works fine, though Ive asked Chris before to check why it is happening. It just shouldn't. I do believe the latest beta, and maybe even stable release havent shown this behavior.

on MPD 19 and BDP1: Chris changed the firmware and MPD 19 is now fully supported on the BDP1, and i must say, it is operating better than ever before.

Cheers,
Marius

[/size]

Ritchief

« Reply #1476 on: 17 Jan 2016, 08:44 pm »
...furthermore to my comments above....the MPAD app on the Ipad is now no longer working...

I have deleted and re-entered the details, but the server "bryston-bdp-1.local", Port 6600 is not finding the BDP.......

Any ideas on why, or assistance would be gratefully received..

Thank you.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1477 on: 17 Jan 2016, 09:34 pm »
Most likely reason is your router assignin a new up address (a network problem, nor the fault of the BDP). The easiest solution for most people is to go into the firmware of your router and reserve the same up address for the BDP every time. In fact, that's a really good practice for any device you need to access indirectly (NAS, printers, servers, etc).

Instead of accessing the device by an alias ("bryston-bdp-1.local"), use the reserved ip address.

If you're interested in why... nothing on a network has an actual name. Everything has a series of numbers called an IP address (similar to your phone). A computer somewhere matches those numbers to words. If you use the number instead, you don't have to worry about that problem.

- Garrett

Ritchief

« Reply #1478 on: 17 Jan 2016, 09:50 pm »
Grit,

Thanks for the response....so I have....

In the Router:
1. locked down the IP address to the BDP and labled the same in Mpad, 162.168.1.14,
2. Under Port Management on the Router assigned HTTP 192.168.1.14   TCP   External Port 80 Internal Port 6600

However, MPAD still does not see the BDP....any further clues ??

Most likely reason is your router assignin a new up address (a network problem, nor the fault of the BDP). The easiest solution for most people is to go into the firmware of your router and reserve the same up address for the BDP every time. In fact, that's a really good practice for any device you need to access indirectly (NAS, printers, servers, etc).

Instead of accessing the device by an alias ("bryston-bdp-1.local"), use the reserved ip address.

If you're interested in why... nothing on a network has an actual name. Everything has a series of numbers called an IP address (similar to your phone). A computer somewhere matches those numbers to words. If you use the number instead, you don't have to worry about that problem.

- Garrett

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1479 on: 17 Jan 2016, 10:14 pm »
Sorry, I wasn't paying close enough attention. Your computer/router setup is all Apple?

And you're using the 192.168.1.14 ip address instead of "bryston-bpd-1.local"?