Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1420 on: 10 Jan 2016, 10:45 pm »
If you want to install a testing build, follow the instructions on the below link.  Keep in my mind that the firmware revision listed at the top of the readme file is the version that will be installed.

http://support.bryston.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=248

No no no no no !! _ thanks you for your offer, Chris ... I'm having more than enough with MM stable as it is right now  :)
In fact, I had to learn tons of new things, and still cannot manage all of which I had read and done.
You might feel as happy as I am, to know that my BDP-2 stopped to freeze at ‖ (Pause) so far. Thus it became unnecessary to put it in Service Mode- Nonetheless, I'm not sure if it healed after my latest firmware update, nor if it will freeze at Pause again, at random. So far, so good.

I will take a look at the link you provided, so as to distinguish stable builds from those which are not.

Thank you.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1421 on: 11 Jan 2016, 08:26 pm »
No no no no no !! _ thanks you for your offer, Chris ... I'm having more than enough with MM stable as it is right now  :)
In fact, I had to learn tons of new things, and still cannot manage all of which I had read and done.
You might feel as happy as I am, to know that my BDP-2 stopped to freeze at ‖ (Pause) so far. Thus it became unnecessary to put it in Service Mode- Nonetheless, I'm not sure if it healed after my latest firmware update, nor if it will freeze at Pause again, at random. So far, so good.

I will take a look at the link you provided, so as to distinguish stable builds from those which are not.

Thank you.

Glad to hear things are working better, i found my BDP-1 to be all lot more stable with the most recent update and choosing MPD 0.19.  Also S2.21 was just released a few hours ago as S2.22 2016-01-11 and replaces the previous stable release S2.20.

Cheers,
Chris

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1422 on: 11 Jan 2016, 11:50 pm »
Glad to hear things are working better, i found my BDP-1 to be all lot more stable with the most recent update and choosing MPD 0.19.  Also S2.21 was just released a few hours ago as S2.22 2016-01-11 and replaces the previous stable release S2.20.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris, great news.

If I can ask a dumb question. Now that Roon seems to have been enabled on this firmware update, if I have Roon running on a remote computer with library attached, the BDP-2 and that remote computer can now communicate? No need to have any other server software running?

(my current setup is MiniMserver running on a networked Mac Mini with my library attached, and I use Linn Kazoo as the control point)

Fernando

« Reply #1423 on: 12 Jan 2016, 02:32 am »
Also S2.21 was just released a few hours ago as S2.22 2016-01-11 and replaces the previous stable release S2.20.

Cheers,
Chris

update done, Chris.

while at it, the browser reported it had crashed - twice.

then, i thought (by myself ...) that i should disable Enable Update At Startup.
updated again, and this third time firefox didn't report any crash.

right now, S2.22 2016-01-11 is taking a while updating database. yes, still updating at the Artist View window.
but reporting itself as '■ MPD Ready' and 'BDP at nominal operation'.

Cheers,

Fernando.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1424 on: 12 Jan 2016, 04:35 am »
Chris, great news.

If I can ask a dumb question. Now that Roon seems to have been enabled on this firmware update, if I have Roon running on a remote computer with library attached, the BDP-2 and that remote computer can now communicate? No need to have any other server software running?

(my current setup is MiniMserver running on a networked Mac Mini with my library attached, and I use Linn Kazoo as the control point)

i don't think you quite understand how that works, room is its own server and control software.  there are other methods of control using other clients and server protocols like upnp/dlna or squeezebox, which has been available in the BDP firmware since Manic Moose was released in 2014.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1425 on: 12 Jan 2016, 04:38 am »
update done, Chris.

while at it, the browser reported it had crashed - twice.

then, i thought (by myself ...) that i should disable Enable Update At Startup.
updated again, and this third time firefox didn't report any crash.

right now, S2.22 2016-01-11 is taking a while updating database. yes, still updating at the Artist View window.
but reporting itself as '■ MPD Ready' and 'BDP at nominal operation'.

Cheers,

Fernando.

did you change the version of mod? what version of mod did you have selected?

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1426 on: 12 Jan 2016, 05:10 am »
i don't think you quite understand how that works, room is its own server and control software.  there are other methods of control using other clients and server protocols like upnp/dlna or squeezebox, which has been available in the BDP firmware since Manic Moose was released in 2014.

Hi Chris:

Actually i'm up to speed on that. I use the BDP-2 as a DLNA client, with MiniMServer running on my NAS (Mac Mini).

My question, which i now realize ws confusing...is..does Roon replace that set up...

I am guessing that Roon must be running on your computer, with your library indexed, and enabled on the BDP, and then you can use the Roon iOS app as control point...?

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1427 on: 12 Jan 2016, 05:16 am »

Btw...i can't tell you how impressed i am at the speed at which you guys are adding features...
It is amazing.

Fernando

« Reply #1428 on: 12 Jan 2016, 05:57 am »
did you change the version of mod? what version of mod did you have selected?

surprise  :o

what do you mean by 'version of mod' !?

i entered the forum right now to tell you that at last it all seems to be working o.k.
and that Rebuild Database in Artist View seemed to be lasting forever 'cause i hadn't clicked 'update' in that window.
it updated in a few minutes after i did so.

had turned everything off - but turned it on to check what could have happened ... found differences but not errors ... which 'mod' is it !?

here's an screenshot:

:oops:

vonnie123

« Reply #1429 on: 12 Jan 2016, 07:43 am »
my BDP-1 completed the update, but I get a long winded "leaning up" in the display and the unit appears stalled.  Reboots don't seem to fix it.

Reloaded new firmware, still leaning up, so we'll let it run overnight to see if it straightens out.

gustavog

« Reply #1430 on: 12 Jan 2016, 01:36 pm »

Is the Roon protocol always bit perfect (same as the source)? I have played a bit with the new RAAT service on my BDP-1 with Roon. How do you know what the BDP-1 is playing in terms of format? At Roon you can see the signal path but only shows the bit depth and sampling rate of the source, not the end point (maybe because it is assumed to be bit perfect)..

Marius

« Reply #1431 on: 12 Jan 2016, 02:56 pm »
HI Chris,

Is there any way you could implement a users selection on which tags are displayed in the browser (right side) and playlist (left side)?

Right now, all tags are displayed, and that clutters the interface unnecessarily, since all tags are also displayed above and below of the media player window.

Selecting file name over tag data is no solution, since than we have all extensions back in all 4 track name areas.

I would love a user selectable set of options. It would suffice to only show the track name in the Playlist and the Drive-Browser. Selecting  an album would display the album name at the top of it, making it show on all tracks numbers quite superfluous imho.

Check this for example:

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1432 on: 12 Jan 2016, 04:17 pm »
HI Chris,

Is there any way you could implement a users selection on which tags are displayed in the browser (right side) and playlist (left side)?

Right now, all tags are displayed, and that clutters the interface unnecessarily, since all tags are also displayed above and below of the media player window.

Selecting file name over tag data is no solution, since than we have all extensions back in all 4 track name areas.

I would love a user selectable set of options. It would suffice to only show the track name in the Playlist and the Drive-Browser. Selecting  an album would display the album name at the top of it, making it show on all tracks numbers quite superfluous imho.

Check this for example:

Cheers,
Marius

We should be able to accommodate that, I can make it working the same way as setting up the path in the cd backup settings page.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #1433 on: 12 Jan 2016, 04:30 pm »
HI Chris,
Great and thanks!
Not sure how your suggestion would work (i don't cd-backup on the BOT)

Was thinking of some extra ticks on the Song info window myself. have 2 extra columns, Playlist and Browser, show the available tags, tick-able for the enduser.

Anyway, thanks for thinking along  :thumb:

Cheers,Marius

We should be able to accommodate that, I can make it working the same way as setting up the path in the cd backup settings page.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1434 on: 12 Jan 2016, 05:25 pm »
I'm saying i would use the same style of interface that is used to configure the cd back path to configure whats shown in the library and playlist view.  The benefit is you could also specify the order in which they appear and place separator (i.e. periods, dashes, colons, etc) between each item.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #1435 on: 12 Jan 2016, 06:47 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb:
thanks!
I'm saying i would use the same style of interface that is used to configure the cd back path to configure whats shown in the library and playlist view.  The benefit is you could also specify the order in which they appear and place separator (i.e. periods, dashes, colons, etc) between each item.

Cheers,
Chris

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1436 on: 12 Jan 2016, 09:35 pm »
I now have my BDP-2 up and running as a Roon end point. I'm impressed with the integration. Thanks again folks.

Krutsch

« Reply #1437 on: 12 Jan 2016, 09:43 pm »
^^ Are you able to play > 44.1/48/16 without any drop-outs? I am finding that TIDAL and Redbook content works flawlessly with RAAT and my BDP-1, but higher resolution tracks cause increasing levels of drop-outs. Note that I have no trouble playing the same files via DLNA over the same network connection.

Just curious what you are experiencing... Thanks.

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1438 on: 12 Jan 2016, 10:59 pm »
^^ Are you able to play > 44.1/48/16 without any drop-outs? I am finding that TIDAL and Redbook content works flawlessly with RAAT and my BDP-1, but higher resolution tracks cause increasing levels of drop-outs. Note that I have no trouble playing the same files via DLNA over the same network connection.

Just curious what you are experiencing... Thanks.

I have not tried anything beyond Redbook yet. . I do have a massive 24 bit library..so for sure I will try later.

One thing that is probably going to be a deal killer for me is the lack of Folder View. I have too big a library for the a graphical only navigation.

Too bad.

Krutsch

« Reply #1439 on: 12 Jan 2016, 11:20 pm »
I have not tried anything beyond Redbook yet. . I do have a massive 24 bit library..so for sure I will try later.

One thing that is probably going to be a deal killer for me is the lack of Folder View. I have too big a library for the a graphical only navigation.

Too bad.

Well, not to go off-topic, that is exactly the problem Roon is trying to solve. Whether it succeeds is up to you. If you have a Tidal subscription, it's worth spending time with and getting to know.