Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

BSMSPEMBA

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1400 on: 4 Jan 2016, 02:26 pm »
already observed Audio Devices had disappeared after the latest firmware update

It was after loading the November firmware update that I noticed the issue.  At first, I thought the issue was that I installed the new Bryston audio card, because I installed the card and updated the firmware the same day.  Imagine my concern when I was not able to see the card in Audio Devices. 

BSMSPEMBA, if I understood properly, disable the add-on for the BDP-2's IP address is the first thing to do ... but there may be other issues ...

To the best of my knowledge, disabling the add-on for the BDP-2 addresses the issue.  The problem with this solution is that if your router changes the IP address periodically, then you will have to keep disabling new addresses.

BSMSPEMBA

« Reply #1401 on: 4 Jan 2016, 02:29 pm »
BSMSPEMBA, is this what should be seen after disabling AdBlock for the BDP-2 IP address ??

Yes, that appears to be correct.  I assume that you do not have the BDP connected to a USB DAC.

By the way, from what I understand, the check mark next to the DAC tells the BDP that your DAC can process DSD audio.  However, the BUC board does not pass through DSD audio.  Therefore, you should uncheck the box.  Chris can correct me, if I am wrong.

Marius

« Reply #1402 on: 4 Jan 2016, 02:43 pm »
  The problem with this solution is that if your router changes the IP address periodically, then you will have to keep disabling new addresses.

just click disable when on http://bryston-bdp-1.local/ and you're set. http://bryston-bdp-2.local in your case :)

Cheers,
Marius
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2016, 05:24 pm by Marius »

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
« Reply #1403 on: 4 Jan 2016, 09:56 pm »
Imagine my concern when I was not able to see the card in Audio Devices.

Yes ... I do !  :cry:

To the best of my knowledge, disabling the add-on for the BDP-2 addresses the issue.  The problem with this solution is that if your router changes the IP address periodically, then you will have to keep disabling new addresses.

Well, not in my case right now, because my procedure followed what I had read, and first of all fixed the BDP-2 IP address and later, the IP NAS address too.

Hope you've done the same, it's not that easy in windows7.
I may be able to help if you wish. I had to ask for help to a friend of mine here. I'm not as savvy as I'd like to be regarding networks and networking.
But I do like to learn new things, better if far away outside of my profession.

Fernando

« Reply #1404 on: 4 Jan 2016, 10:10 pm »
Yes, that appears to be correct.  I assume that you do not have the BDP connected to a USB DAC.

No, I don't. I bought a BDA-2 together with the BDP-2.

By the way, from what I understand, the check mark next to the DAC tells the BDP that your DAC can process DSD audio.

good news !  :D - I didn't know.

However, the BUC board does not pass through DSD audio.  Therefore, you should uncheck the box.  Chris can correct me, if I am wrong.

well, this may be funny. I cannot leave it unchecked. whenever I uncheck it, after reloading the tab or browsing away in the Dashboard, when I return there it shows always checked !

I did not click on Disable yet. I will do my best to avoid doing so ...  :icon_lol: - unless I learn about a very good reason for clicking Disable.

cmarinsr

« Reply #1405 on: 6 Jan 2016, 03:19 am »
Hi Chris,

Could you provide more info on how the Roon Labs end point implementation (latest beta F/W) is to be used? I would also like to know which software player will be used for playback (MPD, Gmediarenderer etc), when acting as a Roon end point.

Thanks,
C

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1406 on: 6 Jan 2016, 03:38 pm »
Hi Chris,

Could you provide more info on how the Roon Labs end point implementation (latest beta F/W) is to be used? I would also like to know which software player will be used for playback (MPD, Gmediarenderer etc), when acting as a Roon end point.

Thanks,
C

Well its an additional service that can be found under services and as its the Roon Labs Audio Endpoint, you use the Roon media player software to control it

http://support.bryston.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=248

Marius

« Reply #1407 on: 6 Jan 2016, 05:05 pm »
Well its an additional service that can be found under services and as its the Roon Labs Audio Endpoint, you use the Roon media player software to control it

Hi Chris,
No Roon under services here... :scratch:

Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1408 on: 6 Jan 2016, 11:26 pm »
Hi Chris,
No Roon under services here... :scratch:

Marius

Dunno

Running S2.21 2016-01-05?

Clear your browsers cache?

cmarinsr

« Reply #1409 on: 7 Jan 2016, 02:35 am »

Thanks, Chris! That's all I need to know.

Marius

« Reply #1410 on: 7 Jan 2016, 07:34 am »
aha, missed that one. Still was on 24-12-2015...
trying the update now.

some peculiarities as of late:
needing a reboot before an update actually takes
MPD is disabled after a reboot. Sometimes seemingly during normal operation.
have to reboot now and then to get my BDP back again, havent found a trigger for that, other than longer periods of no use in standby.
frontpanel not displaying the actual operation, only showing MDP ready, while in fact playing through the web interface of mood
also the opposite: mood and webinterfce unresponsive, while frontpanel operation works fine

extra:
while updating one can browse away from that interface. Does updating continue? revisiting the update page seems not too be reflecting that. Would it be wise to have some warning implemented during updating process, not to interfere?

Cheers,
Marius

Dunno

Clear your browsers cache?

Marius

« Reply #1411 on: 7 Jan 2016, 10:54 am »
HI Chris,

In MM there's at least four places, the files being played are shown. Including their extension/filetype, which is specified separately also.

Wouldn't it be nice if MM only displayed the file name? That would centre the attention to the music, instead of the computer-side of things.

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1412 on: 8 Jan 2016, 12:38 am »
trying the update now.

some peculiarities as of late:
needing a reboot before an update actually takes
MPD is disabled after a reboot. Sometimes seemingly during normal operation.
have to reboot now and then to get my BDP back again, havent found a trigger for that, other than longer periods of no use in standby.
frontpanel not displaying the actual operation, only showing MDP ready, while in fact playing through the web interface of mood
also the opposite: mood and webinterfce unresponsive, while frontpanel operation works fine

extra:
while updating one can browse away from that interface. Does updating continue? revisiting the update page seems not too be reflecting that. Would it be wise to have some warning implemented during updating process, not to interfere?

Cheers,
Marius

The BDP-1 hardware isn't fast enough to run the websocket reconnect function and thus users experience the occasional disconnect while the browser isn't active.  A simple refresh is all that is needed to re-establish communication.

You may also want not consider a factory reset, as of S2.21 (perhaps even S2.20) we changed the user space filesystem type and it appears to be quite a bit more reliable.  Also the new MPD 0.19.12 works really well with the BDP-1 hardware, I have gone weeks with my BDP-1 not requiring a reboot and using tidal as my method of playback.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1413 on: 8 Jan 2016, 12:40 am »
HI Chris,

In MM there's at least four places, the files being played are shown. Including their extension/filetype, which is specified separately also.

Wouldn't it be nice if MM only displayed the file name? That would centre the attention to the music, instead of the computer-side of things.

Cheers,
Marius

Hmmm, I suspect you have show file name over tag data selected or those tracks are missing the title field

Marius

« Reply #1414 on: 8 Jan 2016, 06:36 am »
Hmmm, I suspect you have show file name over tag data selected or those tracks are missing the title field

I tried that but it didn't make a difference. (File name over tag data )

Have to check the title field. Any suggestion for a good Mac app?

edit: using Tag http://sbooth.org/Tag/ i found the title field tag also to be correct:

edit/

Could you show a pic how it would display if the above is were set all right?

However,
this does show my point of the MM interface being a bit too much 'computerish' instead of being more music or even user oriented .
Only the file name is of interest , not it's type . Leaving it out on those places wouldn't do any harm ( file type is already being specified separately) would look better in 4 places, would save screen estate, and would relieve the user of having to think about getting their tags right ;)

Cheers
Marius
« Last Edit: 8 Jan 2016, 02:59 pm by Marius »

Marius

« Reply #1415 on: 8 Jan 2016, 06:58 am »
Thanks Chris,

I am on 221, beta jan 5 using MPd 19.12.
Sorry for not being sure of what you're saying here: should or shouldnt i factory reset?
Might it also be a browser specific issue? I find safari has a heap more connection issues than Chrome, even more so on mobile. (Always unresponsive after clicking Settings. Would be useful checking why that is)
Cheers
Marius

The BDP-1 hardware isn't fast enough to run the websocket reconnect function and thus users experience the occasional disconnect while the browser isn't active.  A simple refresh is all that is needed to re-establish communication.

You may also want not consider a factory reset, as of S2.21 (perhaps even S2.20) we changed the user space filesystem type and it appears to be quite a bit more reliable.  Also the new MPD 0.19.12 works really well with the BDP-1 hardware, I have gone weeks with my BDP-1 not requiring a reboot and using tidal as my method of playback.

Marius

« Reply #1416 on: 8 Jan 2016, 03:04 pm »
Well Chris,
forget about my tag/extension question...
Don't know what happened, but after loading a new mp3 download (OperaDepot, great source!) the extensions are no longer visible... :scratch: 

Sorry,
Marius

ttsto

« Reply #1417 on: 8 Jan 2016, 03:53 pm »
Hi. Question to Chris about last.fm audioscrobbler
This behavior happened two times in row, so maybe can be investigated somehow...
I played several albums, audioscrobbler reported Ok tracks to last.fm. Then played nothing for 3-4 hours, added again some albums to playlist, however no tracks were reported to last.fm. I tried to see if last.fm was down, the answer was no, with other player scrobbling works
So, the only thing I can imagine is that you have some sort of task killing mechanism when player goes to iddle for long time...is this true? if yes, is possible not to kill last.fm audioscrobbler? if not, next time will happen this I will email you service request
BDP1
S2.21 2015-12-09
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.18.21 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486

Fernando

« Reply #1418 on: 10 Jan 2016, 04:44 am »

Hi Marius, Chris,

Please, I cannot understand why I am still on in S2.20 2015-11-20 in my BDP-2.
Seems I skipped 2015-12-24 too, as Marius did.

After reading your posts, I upgraded firmware.
It did - but latest upgrade was the same as before: S2.20 2015-11-20

How is it that some BDPs can jump to S2.21 2016-01-05, and others cannot?

I do prefer to skip beta upgrades ... but this one seems not to be the case, as far as I can understand it.

Sorry if my questions seem to be a little naïve ... but if I don't ask these, I'll never learn.

Cheers,

Fernando.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1419 on: 10 Jan 2016, 06:00 pm »
Hi Marius, Chris,

Please, I cannot understand why I am still on in S2.20 2015-11-20 in my BDP-2.
Seems I skipped 2015-12-24 too, as Marius did.

After reading your posts, I upgraded firmware.
It did - but latest upgrade was the same as before: S2.20 2015-11-20

How is it that some BDPs can jump to S2.21 2016-01-05, and others cannot?

I do prefer to skip beta upgrades ... but this one seems not to be the case, as far as I can understand it.

Sorry if my questions seem to be a little naïve ... but if I don't ask these, I'll never learn.

Cheers,

Fernando.

S2.20 is the most recent stable build, S2.21 is the most recent testing build as of this post.  If you want to install a testing build, follow the instructions on the below link.  Keep in my mind that the firmware revision listed at the top of the readme file is the version that will be installed.