Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

MoPac

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1380 on: 18 Dec 2015, 06:35 pm »
Marius:
 It jumps to the track being played in the playlist on the left.  Unchecked the playlist shows the first track and you have to scroll down to find the track being played.

Rich

Marius

« Reply #1381 on: 19 Dec 2015, 10:16 am »
.. still don't get it im afraid... when does it 'jump'  :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:  it being the playlist itself is it? not the right panel folder browser.

sorry..

Marius

Marius:
 It jumps to the track being played in the playlist on the left.  Unchecked the playlist shows the first track and you have to scroll down to find the track being played.

Rich

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1382 on: 19 Dec 2015, 02:02 pm »
.. still don't get it im afraid... when does it 'jump'  :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:  it being the playlist itself is it? not the right panel folder browser.

sorry..

Marius

Hi Marius

For example if you had a playlist of 100 songs and song 50 was playing it would be at the top of the playlist - then when song 51 plays it moves up to the top of the playlist.

james

Marius

« Reply #1383 on: 19 Dec 2015, 05:15 pm »
...  :duh:

thanks James, tried it now and indeed i see...

Sorry for this.

What i was looking for was a jump on the right side, that's what really on my wishlist. Browsing and clicking a track to play, and then going back to the browsing window, same folder as the track being played, and going on from there. Now we have to go back to the root of the browsing folder every time the browing pane is left.

Maybe Chris can have a look at that too.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius

For example if you had a playlist of 100 songs and song 50 was playing it would be at the top of the playlist - then when song 51 plays it moves up to the top of the playlist.

james

MoPac

« Reply #1384 on: 20 Dec 2015, 05:08 pm »
Chris:
 New MM feature request.
  Would it be possible to add some menu choices when the + sign is used to add to a playlist.  Maybe when you click on the + sign a box would open with the choices:  PlayClear and PlayPlay nextAdd to end. So when you wish to add an artist in alphabetic order to a saved playlist you would start the track just before your desired insert position and choose Play next. 8)

Thanks, Rich

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
« Reply #1385 on: 27 Dec 2015, 04:30 am »
Marius:

Rich

Hi Marius

james

Thank you for asking about this feature, Marius.
I was about to ask about it myself, but had not explored it yet.

Done so, because I'm trying to solve two (2) puzzling issues before this one - in the meanwhile trying to think how to properly pose these questions.

Draft:
1- how do I make Artwork to show up in every Album or Playlist I make ... sometimes I see it, sometimes not.
Should I edit every graphic file to a fixed dimension, or should I rename it following some specific naming syntax ?
Already found the red-marked 44 and 250 .jpg and .png, but they don't always show up in the MPD 0.19.9 window.

Please see attached screenshot, below.

2- I need advice on how to properly Tag 1TB of .flac and .ape ... half of them are almost right.
.ape behaves far worse than .flac, I believe - not sure.

I have the box Enable Update at Start-up checked.

It does makes a difference whether you call someone «John Coltrane» _ or «Coltrane, John»  :o [ :lol: ]

Merry Christmas to everyone here :)
____________________________________*

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1386 on: 27 Dec 2015, 04:38 pm »

Thank you for asking about this feature, Marius.
I was about to ask about it myself, but had not explored it yet.

Done so, because I'm trying to solve two (2) puzzling issues before this one - in the meanwhile trying to think how to properly pose these questions.

Draft:
1- how do I make Artwork to show up in every Album or Playlist I make ... sometimes I see it, sometimes not.
Should I edit every graphic file to a fixed dimension, or should I rename it following some specific naming syntax ?
Merry Christmas to everyone here :)
____________________________________*

Hello,

There are some fixes regarding these two issues coming in the next firmware release(currently available in the most recent beta/testing build). 

The next release will replace MPD 0.19.9 with 0.19.12 that includes some fixes for reading tag data from ape files
We have made some improvements with getting and generating cover art
There is no need to make sure the resolute is ideal, the BDP generated its own version of the file, as you have seen
Also locating cover art
During this testing we also found that certain characters used in the file path will break cover art.  Most notably are back ticks (aka grave notes).  To get around this we may add another feature to the library doctor app to replace back ticks with under scores.

cmarinsr

« Reply #1387 on: 27 Dec 2015, 05:42 pm »
Hi Chris,

Any idea why, none of my WAV titles (including Album and Artist) are showing up in the Artist view? I'm on the latest beta firmware and I'm using dbPoweramp to generate the files.

Thanks,
C

Fernando

« Reply #1388 on: 27 Dec 2015, 10:44 pm »
Hello,

There are some fixes regarding these two issues coming in the next firmware release(currently available in the most recent beta/testing build). 

The next release will replace MPD 0.19.9 with 0.19.12 that includes some fixes for reading tag data from ape files
We have made some improvements with getting and generating cover art
There is no need to make sure the resolute is ideal, the BDP generated its own version of the file, as you have seen
Also locating cover art
During this testing we also found that certain characters used in the file path will break cover art.  Most notably are back ticks (aka grave notes).  To get around this we may add another feature to the library doctor app to replace back ticks with under scores.

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Really I didn't expect so, considering it's Sunday. And your answer is good news, really.

Solving cover art «back ticks / grave notes» would be very nice, it helps to distinguish at a glance between different versions of some recordings one may like so much as to have more than 2 versions each.

But I think Tag data is a major issue.
It took me by surprise, and left me wondering what had I done wrong.
It happened as follows, I'll try to make myself clear the best I can.
1- before 0.19.9, I made a playlist containing the classic Mahavishnu Orchestra (John McLauglin) works, and another one with Jimmy Hendrix in the West.
2- those .flac files were in a WD MyBook 1TB USB, I had no difficulties finding them there.
3- then, I bought the TP-Link router and the WD MyCloud 3TB NAS.
copied MyBook → MyCloud.
it took me some time to understand the network behaviour, and I felt quite satisfied when found that I was able to copy into the WD MyBook USB the .flac files which first were either in my computer or in my NAS.
4- all of a sudden, after I had began using the NAS much more often than the USB, I realized two very confusing facts.
5- although I was able to find those folders looking at the screen, I found it impossible to make another playlist from the very same .flac files copied USB → NAS, from the NAS - because MPD didn't show them _ and besides, playlists made from the USB didn't play if the USB device was unplugged, quite obvious. I mean, a playlist made from the NAS will play from the NAS, a playlist made from the USB will play from the USB. if turned off, the corresponding playlist will not play.
6- so far, so good.
my confusion started when tried to build the same playlists, now from the NAS drive.
to put it as simple as I am able to explain this, the MPD didn't see neither Mahavishnu John McLaughlin nor Jimi Hendrix In The West from the NAS drive.
7- a few minutes ago I turned on the USB MyBook, but MPD 0.19.9 neither didn't find them there !! - and the network didn't allow me to copy .flac to the USB drive, no more.
8- thus, I first hypothesized there was a general problem regarding Tags, and I cannot rule out this hypothesis - I feel happy you are acknowledging this issue.

... but after reading your reply, it occurred to me that it would be worth to try and see what happens when using MPD 0.18.21 ... I cannot remember which MPD version allowed me to do what I wrote  :scratch:

excuse me for such a long post, Chris.
now that I'm reading it twice, I feel I was a little redundant.
hope I didn't make you feel bored or annoyed, it's somehow difficult for me to understand this one, and explain which I half-understand.

I will be looking forward to 0.19.12

thank you very much  :)

Fernando

« Reply #1389 on: 27 Dec 2015, 11:23 pm »

it took me some time to understand the network behaviour, and I felt quite satisfied when found that I was able to copy into the WD MyBook USB the .flac files which first were either in my computer or in my NAS.

- and the network didn't allow me to copy .flac to the USB drive, no more.

nope ... this point in particular, seems to have «Stepped Out of a Dream» _  :oops:

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1390 on: 30 Dec 2015, 05:11 pm »
Hi Chris,

Any idea why, none of my WAV titles (including Album and Artist) are showing up in the Artist view? I'm on the latest beta firmware and I'm using dbPoweramp to generate the files.

Thanks,
C

This is currently normal behaviour, we intend on implementing a change to attempt to incorporate wav into the Bryston DB (used by the artist view).  The problem is that wav was never intended to make use of tag data when it was implemented so there is no standard way of supporting it. 

cmarinsr

« Reply #1391 on: 30 Dec 2015, 08:18 pm »
Thanks, Chris!

Fernando

« Reply #1392 on: 3 Jan 2016, 12:20 am »

- and the network didn't allow me to copy .flac to the USB drive, no more.

well ... no!

it didn't step out of a dream of mine.
somehow I made this network to show up again: I plugged a new and small Toshiba DTB.310 USB3 HDD and the following screenshot draw itself on my monitor.

the network is as follows ('though I don't know how to write about a network, I hope to make myself clear enough):

Network: [42f2e088f2e08191(\\Bryston-bdp-2)→USB3ToshibaDTB310-connected].[New Volume→USBMyBook]-connected.[Public_Shared_Music_on_WDMYCLOUD→NAS.MyCloud]-connected

I don't know why "42f2e088f2e08191(\\Bryston-bdp-2)" refers to the Toshiba DTB310 USB3

... and it seems that this network makes the BDP to crash  :(
"Sorting music into Bryston DB:98%" - and never reaches 100%

thus, I was not able to try a file transfer from NAS to USB drives.
don't know if this could be possible, or if I am expecting too much.

about the rest of my confusing post dated 27 Dec 2015, 07:44 pm - it was everything a simple matter of missing Tags.
hard to solve anyway.
shall try with EasyTAG <https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/EasyTAG> - but I feel tired before I begin ... :)

here's the network, and BDP still at 98%.

any comment will be welcome, Chris.

and have a happy 2016  :D

MoPac

« Reply #1393 on: 3 Jan 2016, 03:30 pm »
CMARINSR:
 I'm confused.  All my files are tagged using dBpoweramp and they all show in the Artist View.  At least 85% or my library is WAV.  The only complaint I have is some of the art does not show when an artist is clicked to show the Albums of that particular artist.  The small thumbnail art shows, but some of the larger 'Album' art does not.  No pattern discerned.

Rich

cmarinsr

« Reply #1394 on: 3 Jan 2016, 06:08 pm »
No, Rich, in my case they don't. Not a big deal though, as they show up in MPaD, MPoD and many other possible control points (Lumin and Kinski for UPnP and iPeng and Squeezepad for Squeezelite). Unfortunately, I'm not using those two playback methods due to a lesser SQ, in my system.

Fernando

« Reply #1395 on: 3 Jan 2016, 07:42 pm »
Hello,

Chris, I'm confused too.
I'll write this down to help my short understanding.

windows7 sees the BDP-2 as network-capable, seen through the TPLink N750.
three of the folders depicted in the screenshot above (42f2e088f2e08191(\\Bryston-bdp-2) / New_Volume / Public_Shared_Music_on_WDMYCLOUD) do contain .flac and .ape

but the browser shows me the BDP-2 is confused !

so:
1- is the BDP-2 networking the WDMyBook, the WDMyCloud and the Toshiba ... or:
2- how can I understand what's happening ?

screenshooting firefox on BDP-2 status.
stalled at 98% ...

BSMSPEMBA

« Reply #1396 on: 4 Jan 2016, 02:23 am »
Hi Chris,

I am not sure if you are aware of this.  The Adblock Plus add-on for Firefox and Chrome blocks some of the interface/functionality of Manic Moose.  The following is an example from Audio Devices.  It appears as if I have no audio devices until I disable the add-on for the BDP-2's IP address.  After I do, my USB DAC and the Bryston sound card reappear.  I know there are a few other areas that lost functionality due to the add-on.  However, forgot specifically which ones.  The two filtering lists that I have loaded are the EasyList and Adblock Warning Removal List.

Thanks

Fernando

« Reply #1397 on: 4 Jan 2016, 04:30 am »
Hi Chris,

I am not sure if you are aware of this.  The Adblock Plus add-on for Firefox and Chrome blocks some of the interface/functionality of Manic Moose.  The following is an example from Audio Devices.  It appears as if I have no audio devices until I disable the add-on for the BDP-2's IP address.  After I do, my USB DAC and the Bryston sound card reappear.  I know there are a few other areas that lost functionality due to the add-on.  However, forgot specifically which ones.  The two filtering lists that I have loaded are the EasyList and Adblock Warning Removal List.

Thanks

Thanks a lot, BSMSPEMBA ... wow, your finding is very important ! -

I cannot live without AdBlock's 3 extensions (add-ons): AdBlock Plus, AdBlock Plus Pop-Up addon, and Element Hiding Helper for AddBlock Plus - already observed Audio Devices had disappeared after the latest firmware update ...  :o

BSMSPEMBA, if I understood properly, disable the add-on for the BDP-2's IP address is the first thing to do ... but there may be other issues ...

shall do so immediately ! -  :duh:

further comments will be very much appreciated.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Fernando

« Reply #1398 on: 4 Jan 2016, 05:10 am »
The Adblock Plus add-on for Firefox and Chrome blocks some of the interface/functionality of Manic Moose.  The following is an example from Audio Devices.  It appears as if I have no audio devices until I disable the add-on for the BDP-2's IP address.  After I do, my USB DAC and the Bryston sound card reappear. 

BSMSPEMBA, is this what should be seen after disabling AdBlock for the BDP-2 IP address ??

fernando.

Marius

« Reply #1399 on: 4 Jan 2016, 08:48 am »
confirmed for Safari on Mac also. (BDP1)

Hi Chris,

Thanks