Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Servingthemusic.com

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1280 on: 30 Oct 2015, 05:57 pm »
Chris/James, may I ask you for your unvarnished opinion on UPnP?

Thanks in advance. Andre

afblaster

« Reply #1281 on: 30 Oct 2015, 06:19 pm »
All this faffing about just to be able listen to music!

I have just demo'd an Aurender X100L, 6TB internal storage and a brilliant iPad app to control it, and it works perfectly.  Goodbye BDP-2,  I'm off.....

TJ-Sully

« Reply #1282 on: 3 Nov 2015, 04:10 am »
yes blaster, but it's all about the sound.

afblaster

« Reply #1283 on: 3 Nov 2015, 05:40 pm »
Yes TJ-Sully, obviously it's all about the sound, I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't sound better.....

I demoed an Aurender for ten days against my BDP-2, and the Aurender consistently produced much the better sound, by quite some margin.
It has USB out only, but even so against the AES/EBU connected BDP-2, the Aurender was still better.
A big bonus is the iPad Conductor App which works perfectly, displays album covers and includes Tidal and an easy-to-use search function.
On top of that it has 6TB of internal disk, plus the ability to stream from a NAS if required.

I have been using Bryston for 15 years and I originally bought a BDP-1 shortly after it was announced. I then upgraded to BDP-2 when that was released, mainly because the BDP-1 was so slow, unreliable and frustrating to use.
Sad to say the day to day operational experience with the second player hasn't been that great, but it's the lack of a properly sorted App, with no expectation of there ever being one
that finally made me look elsewhere.

I am a big fan of Bryston, I've had eight power amps, two preamp/processors and two dacs since 2000, and currently have a SP3, 2 x 7B-SST2 and a 9B-SST into PMC IB2i and DB1 speakers.
I'm very frustrated and disappointed that Bryston haven't got their act together with the firmware and an App for their player - their competitors have.

Rupret

« Reply #1284 on: 3 Nov 2015, 05:51 pm »
I agree with afblaster and am in the same boat.

I'm Bryston fan and use their amps for my home theater and 2 channel stereo but when it came to upgrading my BDP-1 BDA-1 combo I didn't even consider going to the BDP-2 because of the state of the software.  I went instead to a Lumin S1 and now I have a player that boots in 15 seconds, songs start at the beginning, I can edit existing playlists, sort the library every which way, everything is quick.  It's a joy to have a nice app.

Wim J

« Reply #1285 on: 3 Nov 2015, 06:13 pm »
+1  I’m still using the BDP-1 but the software is, to say the least, not up to current standards. MPD does not sound bad, but some streaming solutions are sounding at least that good. For the moment I’m experimenting with Roon software froom Roonlabs on the BDP-1, which is and sounds fabulous. I’m hoping Bryston will integrate Roonlabs protocol ’RoonSpeakers’ in the software from the BDP’s. It would end the indefinite search for  good software for the BDP’s .  YES, Bryston  keeps bringing new soft and Beta’s but it is just,....  :duh:  Just use it as a streamer with Roon. :thumb:
I ’m also a big Bryston-fan with (BP26, MPS2, BCD-1, BDA-2, 3B-SST2 and BDP-1) but the very good sounding BDP-1 is a nightmare on a software level. It’s like using DOS as an OS on a PC nowadays,... it works, but  :scratch:
Sorry Bryston, but I’m also looking to abandon ship for a decent streaming solution.

MoPac

« Reply #1286 on: 3 Nov 2015, 08:30 pm »
afblaster:
 The control point app I use is MPAD which seems to work very well.  The album art is 100% displayed, the playlist creation works well, finding music by Artist, Album or folder is easy and it never crashes.  Do you use this app and if so what makes the Aurender app better?

Certainly the MPAD app is not in the same league with iPeng & Squeezebox, but that ship has sailed.  The Android app, MPDroid for Music Player Daemon, is useless which probably alienates some BDP owners.

Concerning your analysis of the SQ differences, can you describe what you hear that makes the Aurender better?  Did you have the Bryston IAD installed in the BDP at that time?  Which AES cable and USB cable were employed?
   Thanks, Rich

StigO

« Reply #1287 on: 4 Nov 2015, 07:24 pm »
+1 for an integrated app with Tidal support. Use Mpad at the moment but no Tidal integration... Roon looks like the way to go, others brands moves in that direction.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1288 on: 4 Nov 2015, 07:39 pm »
+1 for an integrated app with Tidal support. Use Mpad at the moment but no Tidal integration... Roon looks like the way to go, others brands moves in that direction.

Yes Roon has a BDP-2 now and are working on it.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1289 on: 4 Nov 2015, 07:56 pm »
not to mention we already have tidal integrated into our firmware.

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1290 on: 4 Nov 2015, 08:01 pm »

james

james that is amazing news..thanks for sharing.

Wim J

« Reply #1291 on: 5 Nov 2015, 08:17 am »

james

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

StigO

« Reply #1292 on: 5 Nov 2015, 05:54 pm »
Very good news! Please keep us updated  :thumb:

ttsto

« Reply #1293 on: 5 Nov 2015, 07:54 pm »
BETA
S2.19 2015-11-04
MPD
Software Volume control
This is interesting change in philosophy for Bryston

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1294 on: 5 Nov 2015, 08:00 pm »
its off by default and over the coarse of the last few years we have been working on controlling preamps by way of serial and ip, we are finally beginning to incorporate the work into the mainstream portion of the firmware

ttsto

« Reply #1295 on: 5 Nov 2015, 08:46 pm »
Is off and well hidden :)
I looked for it in MPD and in Media Player Settings and could not find it, except some crossfade option

werd

« Reply #1296 on: 5 Nov 2015, 10:42 pm »
+1  I’m still using the BDP-1 but the software is, to say the least, not up to current standards. MPD does not sound bad, but some streaming solutions are sounding at least that good. For the moment I’m experimenting with Roon software froom Roonlabs on the BDP-1, which is and sounds fabulous. I’m hoping Bryston will integrate Roonlabs protocol ’RoonSpeakers’ in the software from the BDP’s. It would end the indefinite search for  good software for the BDP’s .  YES, Bryston  keeps bringing new soft and Beta’s but it is just,....  :duh:  Just use it as a streamer with Roon. :thumb:
I ’m also a big Bryston-fan with (BP26, MPS2, BCD-1, BDA-2, 3B-SST2 and BDP-1) but the very good sounding BDP-1 is a nightmare on a software level. It’s like using DOS as an OS on a PC nowadays,... it works, but  :scratch:
Sorry Bryston, but I’m also looking to abandon ship for a decent streaming solution.

BDPs function is to bring Hi res off a HD or USB stick.  You are re inventing it. Which is fine because I think using it as a streamer is good. But does Tidal do Hi Res? No, It is not even comparable and the red book off files is better than streaming Flac from Tidal. You really do not want to start streaming Hi Res even in Flac ( if it exists) Shaw and Sasktel are already getting butt hurt over data usage and I'm sure it's the same with your provider.  BDPs are hi Res players and streaming is an afterthought. 

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1297 on: 6 Nov 2015, 12:33 am »
Is off and well hidden :)
I looked for it in MPD and in Media Player Settings and could not find it, except some crossfade option

Currently it only supports software volume control and the slider can't be dragged yet and must clicked on it.

If you want to try it out connect to the BDP's network share USER and edit the file mpd.set, don't use Microsoft notepad.  Add the line below to the file to enable

volume;software

To disable, change it to

volume;none

Cheers
Chris

TJ-Sully

« Reply #1298 on: 6 Nov 2015, 03:12 am »
hey blaster. thanks for the info on the X100....it looks like an interesting unit and the internal storage capacity is a real bonus. although my BDP-1 will remain in my system for a long while (i'm a happy camper), it would be fun to compare sonic differences of various high quality digital players.  enjoy.  you're PMC's must sound awesome with the 9B. lucky.
later, sully.

keithjacksontucson

« Reply #1299 on: 14 Nov 2015, 05:23 pm »
Any chance of an alphabetic dropdown for a quick selection on the Tidal app play list
like there is on the MPD menu on a future upgrade?