Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1240 on: 18 Oct 2015, 12:32 am »
Please see page 10 of the manic moose manual

http://www.bryston.com/PDF/Manuals/BDP-2_MM_Manual.pdf#page10

Blasting this thread with screen capture of dbpoweramp isn't going to help resolve this

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1241 on: 18 Oct 2015, 12:36 am »
HI Chris,
On the latest beta 20151014 and 1012:

would you consider developing the Speaker-test into anything along the lines of http://onlinetonegenerator.com/ and http://onlinetonegenerator.com/frequency-sweep-generator.html? Would make it fuller audio setup test.

Cheers,
Marius

I may add a sweep, but it was develop more for testing our own gear then anything else

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1242 on: 18 Oct 2015, 12:44 am »
HI ,

I think so too, im saving for it, hope to reach it before you'e making the bdp3.. That being said, i did have the Bryston db built up to 58 %..

Honestly, i did experience the same issues with only one drive attached, and without having shared the extra MP3 drive on my Nas, which mainly doubles many of my Flac files on the usb drives, and is there only for backup and testing the difference in sound quality between the same recordings, albeit ripped to Mp3 vs flac.

So besides library size, i think other issues are at hand, though im not sure which they are. Maybe you could test on this forum to see which customers have their Bryston Db working, and check their library sizes. Give us an estimate of the BDP capabilities, be it 1 or 2.

Cheers,
Marius

Ps Rod, im mostly fully enjoying my BDP1, but since im a beta-MM 'tester', i do like to do that thoroughly and assist Chris to his and our advantage. Ive asked before if this shouldn't be in another thread on AC, but it wasn't moved.

WEll that very well could be, but even if you chopped your library(of 150,000 songs) in half it would still be to large for a BDP-1.  I recent customer (BDP-1USB) with a library of about 28,000 songs tried it and failed, it seemed to get a little further each time.  He was using a drive formatted as ntfs, basically the worse format to use as its so CPU intensive.  I tested my 28,000 song library on a bdp-1 under the same circumstances and it came through fine.  The development of the librarydoctor was needed to reset my library back to stock.  What it comes down to is we don't have the same files, it leads to this type of issue.

Rocket

« Reply #1243 on: 18 Oct 2015, 01:10 am »
Hi Chris,

I can now understand why some members are having problems.  I only have about 100 audiophile standard recordings on my USB hard drive.  Btw what type of formatting do you recommend with a USB hard drive?

Cheers Rod

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1244 on: 18 Oct 2015, 01:13 am »
Hi Chris,

I can now understand why some members are having problems.  I only have about 100 audiophile standard recordings on my USB hard drive.  Btw what type of formatting do you recommend with a USB hard drive?

Cheers Rod

FAT32 is the most universal and easiest to use and recommended, but the best from a pure performance point is to use ext (native Linux filesystem). 

Rod_S

« Reply #1245 on: 18 Oct 2015, 03:22 am »
Please see page 10 of the manic moose manual

http://www.bryston.com/PDF/Manuals/BDP-2_MM_Manual.pdf#page10

Blasting this thread with screen capture of dbpoweramp isn't going to help resolve this

Chris you appear to be completely missing why I'm posting. You seem to now be implying I'm being as ass or difficult at this point with my posts. I'm simply trying to find out why I'm seeing different behaviour. Overriding the values seen via MM doesn't tell me anything about why it's happening in the 1st place, that's side stepping the issue. I could just as easily remove the /# formatting by right clicking the actual files and editing the tag data that way.

Is it a MM software problem, is there more to tag data then meets the eye i.e. is this data perhaps saved differently in the registry than one sees in the GUI tag editor, etc. etc. I'm a software developer and I like to understand software inconsistencies like this. When 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2, there is a logical reason why that's the case.

Marius

« Reply #1246 on: 18 Oct 2015, 02:00 pm »
HI Chris,
Sure, i think it's a great tool to have.
I've been experimenting with the online generator, just for doing what you say, testing the gear, more specifically the 10bsub.
Having the tools directly on the BDP would be even better, since i now had to play the generator over shairplay, and notice the delay of about one second, mentioned elsewhere on AC. Having it straight out of the BDP would make it even more precise, and valid for testing purposes.

Just saying that if you're going to implement it, it would be appreciated a lot.

Love the way you widen the use of the BDP. Kudos for that! Never stop thinking ahead.

Marius

I may add a sweep, but it was develop more for testing our own gear then anything else

Marius

« Reply #1247 on: 18 Oct 2015, 03:33 pm »
Hi Chris,

Having been playing around lately with the various configurations with and without USB drives attached to the BDP, made we wish for software (de-)selectable usb drives. Would that in anyway be possible, or are the 4 usb (BDP1) receptacles not individually programmable?

At the moment we have to physically de- and/or attach the drives to be able to test various configurations, building the DB, updating etc etc.

If possible, maybe add as an advanced option in the services menu under USB mount?
If not, well, no bad, gives us another couple of extra calories to burn ;)

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1248 on: 18 Oct 2015, 10:03 pm »
Currently you can use disk information to Unmount a drive, but upon reboot the drive would be mounted again. 

Do you want the BDP to not mount certain drives or drive plugged into certain ports?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1249 on: 18 Oct 2015, 10:05 pm »
is there more to tag data then meets the eye

No, it displays it as it reads it, that was the point I was trying to confirm

Marius

« Reply #1250 on: 19 Oct 2015, 05:18 am »
Currently you can use disk information to Unmount a drive, but upon reboot the drive would be mounted again. 

Do you want the BDP to not mount certain drives or drive plugged into certain ports?

yes please, if at all possible.
it would need to stick after reboot indeed, (so the unmount per Disk Information isn't what im looking for) in order to try and test clearing and building the Bryston DB with selected drives.

Thanks,
Marius

Rod_S

« Reply #1251 on: 19 Oct 2015, 10:58 am »
No, it displays it as it reads it, that was the point I was trying to confirm

OK thanks. As an experiment I opened up Windows Media Player which is somethng I haven't done in ages. I was checking out how it presented the album/song information on my NAS and it always displayed just the track number and never as #/# for all those mp3 albums I mentioned. It was also able to see the albums which MM isn't picking up at all in Artist View (MM does see them in Default view when browsing by folder). I don't know if this is an apples to apples comparison though (WMP vs MM) so not sure if anything can be concluded from it.

MoPac

« Reply #1252 on: 20 Oct 2015, 01:02 am »
 The creation of Playlists works well if the edits are saved in MM.  The only wish I have is to archive the playlists.  Have not tried to SSH into the BDP to see if I can find the Playlists.

This is a quote from my rather dense self  :duh:.  While in Windows Explorer I noticed a folder named "user".  I believe at one time it was named "root", but not sure about that.  Anyway the name "root" scares me.  On the other hand the name "user", ( that's me ), is more....well....user friendly.  So I opened it and found a folder named "Playlists".  Wow! look there are all the M3U playlists created on MPad and MM.  Now I can archive them even though it's probably not necessary.  Might be fun to edit one and drop it into the "Playlists" folder then see if the edit takes.
 Sometimes I'm a bit slow to the finish line.

Marius

« Reply #1253 on: 20 Oct 2015, 09:31 am »
Hi Chris,

Is there a way to get 'album art' on our playlists/radiostreams?

Ive saved several online radiostations as a playlist, (station).m3u file, and would love a station-logo to show, instead of the generic Bryston logo

something like on Tunein:

Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #1254 on: 20 Oct 2015, 10:06 am »
HI Chris,

In the User folder on the BDP,  fsck0000.rec and fsck0001.rec are found. are they to be deleted, or recovered ?

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1255 on: 20 Oct 2015, 06:17 pm »
HI Chris,

In the User folder on the BDP,  fsck0000.rec and fsck0001.rec are found. are they to be deleted, or recovered ?

Cheers,
Marius

they should get delete upon the next startup, are they persistent between reboots?

Marius

« Reply #1256 on: 20 Oct 2015, 06:28 pm »
they should get delete upon the next startup, are they persistent between reboots?

Believe so, Yes
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1257 on: 20 Oct 2015, 06:30 pm »
The creation of Playlists works well if the edits are saved in MM.  The only wish I have is to archive the playlists.  Have not tried to SSH into the BDP to see if I can find the Playlists.

This is a quote from my rather dense self  :duh:.  While in Windows Explorer I noticed a folder named "user".  I believe at one time it was named "root", but not sure about that.  Anyway the name "root" scares me.  On the other hand the name "user", ( that's me ), is more....well....user friendly.  So I opened it and found a folder named "Playlists".  Wow! look there are all the M3U playlists created on MPad and MM.  Now I can archive them even though it's probably not necessary.  Might be fun to edit one and drop it into the "Playlists" folder then see if the edit takes.
 Sometimes I'm a bit slow to the finish line.

no worries, there was a network share called root that would take you to the root of the filesystem.  That feature still exists, we call it enabling developer mode, the idea is to provide an easy way for web designers to hack away at the folder containing the web content.  Because BDP deploys a live filesystem, changing the web contents (/var/www) would be undone after a reboot.  Some users expressed a wish to manually edit playlists, mainly to add custom radio stations.  Rather then just share the playlists folder I thought I would share the folder that contains settings that are user changeable, hence the share name "user".  in addition to editing, saving, restoring playlists one can also edit mpdconf.set, this allows users to edit single line settings for the MPD config file and have them persist after a reboot.  A user can also create a file called "mpd.conf.append", anything in this file will be added to the end of the MPD config file.  The idea is to give the BDP more flexibility without relying on us, you still need to be somewhat knowledgeable but far from understanding how to recompile our firmware.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1258 on: 20 Oct 2015, 06:33 pm »
Believe so, Yes
Marius

I miss read, i thought you were referring to /lib/live/mount/medium.  I havn't implemented any filesystem check cleanup in the user folder yet.  How large are the files?

Marius

« Reply #1259 on: 20 Oct 2015, 06:41 pm »
I miss read, i thought you were referring to /lib/live/mount/medium.  I havn't implemented any filesystem check cleanup in the user folder yet.  How large are the files?
both 4kb