Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1220 on: 14 Oct 2015, 02:05 pm »
BrystonDB doesn't require (shouldn't anyways) a reboot and is required for media player features that in some way sort your music (except for file folder structure).  When the BRyston DB feature is turned on it should rebuild each time the MPD database is updated.  That message is a bit outdated, originally it was the next time you loaded the artist view, now it just starts automatically (no reboot).  When the BDP isn't connected to a NAS in its config file it will look for reasons as to why it wasn't able to connect and one of things it does is it looks at the arp tables.  If the old arp entry is still there then it will also return the old address as well. 

bdp_front_44.jpg and bdp_front_250.jpg are taken from existing cover art and optimized for the media player interface.  The third, i can't remember why this file is made and havn't looked to closely at it either.

Marius

« Reply #1221 on: 14 Oct 2015, 02:26 pm »
OK that clears up some of the confusion on my side, thank you.,

Last serious issue i am experiencing right now is intermittent loss of the BDP on the network. I had the new db updated, and all seemed well, right now i cant find the BDP on the network anymore, and probably will have to reboot it manually on the frontpanel again.

Would it be an option to have some kind of 'keep alive'? So that if the BDP is not used for a longer period, it does not loose the connection? MPD watch does not help in this situation i think.

In fact, i just checked, and the BDP had become unresponsive again. pressing frontpanels was fruitless, it was dead, displaying MPD ready.
Also, after reboot, the USB-Mount was enabled again, disabling doesn't stick after reboot.

Chris, i suspect a relation with my NAS in hibernation. Ive had this issue before, but then also had my USB drives attached, so never suspected this. Right now i only use my nas, and if anything, it must be that causing the lockups.
Ive checked my Nas Logs and indeed they hibernated, and were  woken up again by my rebooted BDP.

Now of course i don't want the BDP to prevent the NAS from hibernating, but  Hibernation on the NAS should not be the reason for the BDP to lockup.

Marius

BrystonDB doesn't require (shouldn't anyways) a reboot and is required for media player features that in some way sort your music (except for file folder structure).  When the BRyston DB feature is turned on it should rebuild each time the MPD database is updated.  That message is a bit outdated, originally it was the next time you loaded the artist view, now it just starts automatically (no reboot).  When the BDP isn't connected to a NAS in its config file it will look for reasons as to why it wasn't able to connect and one of things it does is it looks at the arp tables.  If the old arp entry is still there then it will also return the old address as well. 

bdp_front_44.jpg and bdp_front_250.jpg are taken from existing cover art and optimized for the media player interface.  The third, i can't remember why this file is made and havn't looked to closely at it either.

Marius

« Reply #1222 on: 15 Oct 2015, 07:17 am »
I'll do something about the buttons, but the lastfm settings are directly related to mpd, they allow mpd to report the music your listening to, to your last fm account.  Next time you login, lastfm will make recommendations based on what you've listened to.

HI Chris, if you do so, please also take out the Save button form the Last.FM section. It saves all settings on this page and not only Last.FM.

You might consider an extra step of confirmation after clicking the Clear cache button. This is a very strong command, and not to be used lightly. Also, some extra explanation is needed. A bit like on the Services page where you explain what every services does. Clicking it merely selects the service, and then an extra button issues the command.

Extra confirmation and explanation should be on all 'heavy' commands like Update, reset DB and clear cache t name but 3 ;-)

Cheers,
Marius

cmarinsr

« Reply #1223 on: 15 Oct 2015, 02:17 pm »
Tidal playback appears to be broken in the last beta firmware (2.19 14-Oct-2015). I am unable to play or add songs to the queue. This behaviour started in the previous beta (Oct 12, I think). Any thoughts?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1224 on: 15 Oct 2015, 04:02 pm »
Tidal playback appears to be broken in the last beta firmware (2.19 14-Oct-2015). I am unable to play or add songs to the queue. This behaviour started in the previous beta (Oct 12, I think). Any thoughts?

hasn't been touched, listening to the tidal ten new tracks right now. 

please place your bdp into service mode and email me the service id.

cmarinsr

« Reply #1225 on: 15 Oct 2015, 04:33 pm »
Thanks Chris! I'll do this tonight after work.

cmarinsr

« Reply #1226 on: 16 Oct 2015, 01:00 am »
BDP in Service Mode, Chris.

Thanks!

Marius

« Reply #1227 on: 16 Oct 2015, 11:57 am »
HI Chris,

Some things NAS related :

- after adding a share, and the Ready is displayed in the blue top window-frame, Home and Next are displayed. Next shouldn't really be there, since it does nothing but confuse the user... Home is really the button NAS-setup, and not Home as used elsewhere in MM (Mediaplayer, root folder) so also a bit confusing.

- having two (or more) shares, one can click them and click Edit. All details appear below. clicking either of the shares, doesn't change the info shown. Could you make the details follow the selected share above?
Also the Next button is shown here, what does it do? I clicked it accidentally, did not change any info, and it still accepted the click, and the BDP beeped as in rebooting. Why, It shouldn't do if nothing has changed.
Does editing the Share info require a reboot?

Did you have a change to look at the possible locking of the BDP on hibernation of a NAS i reported?

Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #1228 on: 16 Oct 2015, 12:06 pm »
HI Chris,
On the latest beta 20151014 and 1012:

would you consider developing the Speaker-test into anything along the lines of http://onlinetonegenerator.com/ and http://onlinetonegenerator.com/frequency-sweep-generator.html? Would make it fuller audio setup test.

Cheers,
Marius

« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2015, 09:57 am by Marius »

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1229 on: 16 Oct 2015, 02:10 pm »
HI Chris,
On the latest beta 20151014 and 1012:

where can we find the Library Doctor?

on the UX:
Clicking reboot doesn't give the restarting in xxx seconds like after updating. It merely shows the same page which is then unresponsive (since it is rebooting....) Maybe change that please?

Cheers,
Marius

http://<bdp ip address>/libraryDoctor.php

be cautious when using this app, its still in rather early development

Marius

« Reply #1230 on: 16 Oct 2015, 02:21 pm »
thanks,
i see, working but awe-inspiring...

Ill leave it for now ;-)
Marius

http://<bdp ip address>/libraryDoctor.php

be cautious when using this app, its still in rather early development

Rod_S

« Reply #1231 on: 16 Oct 2015, 04:34 pm »
Chris, or anyone one familiar with how the BDP-2 deals with tag information, in the pics I posted on the other page any ideas why my mp3 album is displaying the song numbers as 1/11, 2/11, 3/11, etc in Artist View where both my flac albums are nicely displaying as just 1, 2, 3, etc.? As you can see the Track tags for all 3 are identical, using the 1/11, 2/11, 3/11, etc. format. It would seem for the mp3 album this is being shown as is but the 2 flac albums are stripping the /11 off. This is the only instance of this in my library i.e. all my Joe Satriani mp3 albums. I have some other mp3 albums with the tag setup the same way but they also strip the /11 off. I'm assuming it's the Track tag being used here but maybe that's not the case and there's more to it. I carefully sized my tag window screenshots so you could see all the tag information for each album.

Marius

« Reply #1232 on: 17 Oct 2015, 09:33 am »
HI Chris,

after 2 weeks of experiencing connection issues and other configuration problems to the brink of not being able to play the BDP at all, i can happily state im back on track playing my music.
Ive disabled the Bryston DB, reset it, cleared cache ea. Guess i have to wait for the BDP2/3 with bigger capacity library to use the BrystonDB.

I also experienced that Chrome somehow is a much better browser for MM than Safari....

MM does state a DB crash was detected, how could this be?

What ever might be the cause, Arturo is high blowing like never before  :thumb:
Thanks,
Marius

Rocket

« Reply #1233 on: 17 Oct 2015, 10:28 am »
Hi Marius,

Just curious how large is your music library?  Seems like you have lots of problems with the Bryston BDP. 

Cheers Rod

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1234 on: 17 Oct 2015, 01:25 pm »
Chris, or anyone one familiar with how the BDP-2 deals with tag information, in the pics I posted on the other page any ideas why my mp3 album is displaying the song numbers as 1/11, 2/11, 3/11, etc in Artist View where both my flac albums are nicely displaying as just 1, 2, 3, etc.? As you can see the Track tags for all 3 are identical, using the 1/11, 2/11, 3/11, etc. format. It would seem for the mp3 album this is being shown as is but the 2 flac albums are stripping the /11 off. This is the only instance of this in my library i.e. all my Joe Satriani mp3 albums. I have some other mp3 albums with the tag setup the same way but they also strip the /11 off. I'm assuming it's the Track tag being used here but maybe that's not the case and there's more to it. I carefully sized my tag window screenshots so you could see all the tag information for each album.

It's likley picking this numbering up in the track number tag, if you start playing a song the BDP will list the tag data in song info.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1235 on: 17 Oct 2015, 01:33 pm »
HI Chris,

after 2 weeks of experiencing connection issues and other configuration problems to the brink of not being able to play the BDP at all, i can happily state im back on track playing my music.
Ive disabled the Bryston DB, reset it, cleared cache ea. Guess i have to wait for the BDP2/3 with bigger capacity library to use the BrystonDB.

I also experienced that Chrome somehow is a much better browser for MM than Safari....

MM does state a DB crash was detected, how could this be?

What ever might be the cause, Arturo is high blowing like never before  :thumb:
Thanks,
Marius

Turning off the Bryston DB doesn't delete old logs, although in this case it should remove some of these (I never thought people would be turning the feature on and off).  I think with a library your size (excess of 150,000 songs last checked) you really would need the beefier BDP2 for the Bryston DB to work.  I've been experimenting with saving the database directly to internal storage on a BDP-1, but a library of 28,000 songs goes from 5 minutes to 22 minutes to build.

Rod_S

« Reply #1236 on: 17 Oct 2015, 02:46 pm »
It's likley picking this numbering up in the track number tag, if you start playing a song the BDP will list the tag data in song info.

But why then is it doing it in this fashion only for the mp3 albums and not any other albums? Is there something different about mp3's because my track number tags are created the same for every album's song I have. That's thousands of them and this seems to be isolated to these mp3's.

Marius

« Reply #1237 on: 17 Oct 2015, 03:30 pm »
HI ,

I think so too, im saving for it, hope to reach it before you'e making the bdp3.. That being said, i did have the Bryston db built up to 58 %..

Honestly, i did experience the same issues with only one drive attached, and without having shared the extra MP3 drive on my Nas, which mainly doubles many of my Flac files on the usb drives, and is there only for backup and testing the difference in sound quality between the same recordings, albeit ripped to Mp3 vs flac.

So besides library size, i think other issues are at hand, though im not sure which they are. Maybe you could test on this forum to see which customers have their Bryston Db working, and check their library sizes. Give us an estimate of the BDP capabilities, be it 1 or 2.

Cheers,
Marius

Ps Rod, im mostly fully enjoying my BDP1, but since im a beta-MM 'tester', i do like to do that thoroughly and assist Chris to his and our advantage. Ive asked before if this shouldn't be in another thread on AC, but it wasn't moved.

Turning off the Bryston DB doesn't delete old logs, although in this case it should remove some of these (I never thought people would be turning the feature on and off).  I think with a library your size (excess of 150,000 songs last checked) you really would need the beefier BDP2 for the Bryston DB to work.  I've been experimenting with saving the database directly to internal storage on a BDP-1, but a library of 28,000 songs goes from 5 minutes to 22 minutes to build.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1238 on: 17 Oct 2015, 03:44 pm »
But why then is it doing it in this fashion only for the mp3 albums and not any other albums? Is there something different about mp3's because my track number tags are created the same for every album's song I have. That's thousands of them and this seems to be isolated to these mp3's.

Perhaps you should check if this is the case before asking more questions

Rod_S

« Reply #1239 on: 17 Oct 2015, 05:16 pm »
Perhaps you should check if this is the case before asking more questions

It is, that's what I've been getting at all along, perhaps I just wasn't clear, sorry. I have 15 Joe Satriani mp3 albums and 1 Nirvana mp3 album that all show up in Artist View and all display as #/#. I have a 2nd Nirvana mp3 album along with a Black Sabbath mp3 album but those aren't showing at all in Artist view, I can't figure out why but that's another issue. I also have a couple Joe Satriani albums in wav format which are behaving the same as the mp3 track numbers but I figure if I can find out what's going on with the mp3's I'll be able to do the same with the wav albums.

On the flip side I have a few hundred CD rips to flac in the #/# track number tag format and they are consistent in displaying just the single track # in Artist View.

I guess at the end of the day it doesn't matter which is right and which is wrong I would just like to understand the behavior so I can make things consistent without having to enter the track # tags differently for some songs vs others. This type of thing drives me nuts :)

Here are more examples. It's obviously impractical to post pics of all songs so I am just showing the 1st song for each of the 4 albums.

mp3 Albums

flac albums - high res 96/24 files

Nirvana mp3

Random other flac album selection, CD rip