Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Norton

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1100 on: 15 Sep 2015, 08:52 am »
Spent some more time with 09/09 Beta trying to get the new memory play features to work.

Occasionally I  can get "Prev" to work as it should, rips whole CD to memory and automatically start replay after track1. In Media player tracks appear in  left hand pane as ripped and a corresponding folder appear in right hand pane.  Also sounds very good indeed!

Mostly though, using "Prev", while ripping takes place, no replay happens and no files or folders are visible in MM.  Trying "Next" instead, front panel gets to dst: system memory stage, but no ripping takes place.

Selecting "Play" from front panel or CD from MM works fine once but MPD usually hangs once I try playing a second CD. 

I'm using a Plextor USB BD drive.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1101 on: 16 Sep 2015, 01:34 am »
I've been following this thread for many months and cannot understand why such an expensive and otherwise (apparently) outstanding component is plagued by so many software bugs.

It's not like we are as busy as the apple forums  :icon_lol:

In all seriousness though, if consider the thousands of units out there, the frequency of our software updates and new features, that we don't control what users plug into the units and that BDP's are at there very essence computers I think we have done quite well for ourselves.  Also that most issues are with features still in development that go beyond the BDP's original goals.

For the size of our company, it's not like we are Apple, we have two software developers and only one works on the firmware part time; the both of us are frequently assigned hardware projects.  Yet we pump out official firmware updates every few months and testing builds fairly regularly.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1102 on: 16 Sep 2015, 01:38 am »
Spent some more time with 09/09 Beta trying to get the new memory play features to work.

Occasionally I  can get "Prev" to work as it should, rips whole CD to memory and automatically start replay after track1. In Media player tracks appear in  left hand pane as ripped and a corresponding folder appear in right hand pane.  Also sounds very good indeed!

Mostly though, using "Prev", while ripping takes place, no replay happens and no files or folders are visible in MM.  Trying "Next" instead, front panel gets to dst: system memory stage, but no ripping takes place.

Selecting "Play" from front panel or CD from MM works fine once but MPD usually hangs once I try playing a second CD. 

I'm using a Plextor USB BD drive.

I really haven't had a chance to revisit this yet, could you post a handful of screenshots of the library home folder (ie you can see the name of the cd)?

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1103 on: 16 Sep 2015, 01:40 am »
It's not like we are as busy as the apple forums  :icon_lol:

In all seriousness though, if consider the thousands of units out there, the frequency of our software updates and new features, that we don't control what users plug into the units and that BDP's are at there very essence computers I think we have done quite well for ourselves.  Also that most issues are with features still in development that go beyond the BDP's original goals.

For the size of our company, it's not like we are Apple, we have two software developers and only one works on the firmware part time; the both of us are frequently assigned hardware projects.  Yet we pump out official firmware updates every few months and testing builds fairly regularly.

Chris I found that comment unfair. I have been following this thread for over a year, even prior to becoming a BDP-2 owner and I can say
that you guys set an amazing standard in responsiveness to your customers wish lists, technical issues, and overall dedication to quality. I'm a big fan.

Marius

« Reply #1104 on: 16 Sep 2015, 07:52 am »
Hi Chris,
Maybe you missed this one on the treadmill  :weights: ?

Please do have a look, i think it would be just that bit better if implemented.

secondly: what does BFPC mean in frontpanel settings?
              And where could we change the Bryston Pw? (you offer a reset back to default bryston)

Cheerio,
Marius

HI Chris,

in the top section of MM you show Dashboard, Back on the left, and Mediaplayer on the right, in various situations.

Would it be possible to have Dashboard (L) and Mediaplayer (R) always there.

If one is in one of the bottom Settings tabs it now shows Back, but that is not really clear, since it goes back to Dashboard.. So why not show Dashboard.

Also, if one wants to go to media player from there, one first needs to click Back (to Dashboard), and from there, click Mediaplayer.

If these two are always on, it would be clearer and quicker. (of course Dashboard and Mediaplayer pages are the only exceptions, only the button to the other would be needed)

Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #1105 on: 16 Sep 2015, 08:07 pm »
Hey Chris,

Not new to the latest (beta) MM, but maybe to the latest IOS (9.1):
Safari mobile iPhone works fine until you click + Settings. It wont load the settings, or move back from there to any other page. Chrome on IOS iPhone works correctly.
Did you notice this, and is there a workaround in the making?

Cheers,
Marius 

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1106 on: 16 Sep 2015, 11:07 pm »

secondly: what does BFPC mean in frontpanel settings?
              And where could we change the Bryston Pw? (you offer a reset back to default bryston)

The reset password function was left in for just Incase scenario, one of the problems we had in loony loon and Canadian beaver would be the settings files would become corrupt; although I was confident that would remain fixed I figured it couldn't hurt to leave it in manicmoose.

Bryston Front Panel Controls, originally figured you guys would ask for more features regarding the controls on the front of the BDP.  So the idea was you could toggle those features using this menu, but nothing ever really came of it.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1107 on: 16 Sep 2015, 11:10 pm »
Hey Chris,

Not new to the latest (beta) MM, but maybe to the latest IOS (9.1):
Safari mobile iPhone works fine until you click + Settings. It wont load the settings, or move back from there to any other page. Chrome on IOS iPhone works correctly.
Did you notice this, and is there a workaround in the making?

Cheers,
Marius

I've noticed safari on the iphone, if you change the orientation while you have he manicmoose interface open it may cause safari to lockup.  It's been difficult to troubleshoot as it doesn't always occur and it seems to be limited to iOS (I first noticed it with iOS 8)

Marius

« Reply #1108 on: 17 Sep 2015, 07:08 pm »
The issue i mentioned happens every time. Not with changing orientation, but after clicking Settings. Orientation change works fine on my ios9.1. After clicking settings nothing happens, not even a refresh of the page (i can still scroll up/down, but clicking links does nothing)

Maybe file a bug-report at Apple HQ ;-)

Marius

I've noticed safari on the iphone, if you change the orientation while you have he manicmoose interface open it may cause safari to lockup.  It's been difficult to troubleshoot as it doesn't always occur and it seems to be limited to iOS (I first noticed it with iOS 8)

Marius

« Reply #1109 on: 17 Sep 2015, 07:09 pm »
 :thumb:
won't touch them.

The reset password function was left in for just Incase scenario, one of the problems we had in loony loon and Canadian beaver would be the settings files would become corrupt; although I was confident that would remain fixed I figured it couldn't hurt to leave it in manicmoose.

Bryston Front Panel Controls, originally figured you guys would ask for more features regarding the controls on the front of the BDP.  So the idea was you could toggle those features using this menu, but nothing ever really came of it.

Norton

« Reply #1110 on: 17 Sep 2015, 09:00 pm »
I really haven't had a chance to revisit this yet, could you post a handful of screenshots of the library home folder (ie you can see the name of the cd)?

Hi Chris

I may have misunderstood what you mean, but If we are talking about the MM player screen I can't see that this would help you.  It's only when  it does work as intended that you see a folder named for the CD (I presume you mean the right hand MM pane?).

If it doesn't get to the playing stage then you don't see actually see anything other than the usual internal disk and NAS folders.

mrderrick

« Reply #1111 on: 21 Sep 2015, 08:13 pm »
Hello Group,

My BDP-1 running MM takes what seems forever to load roughly 500 songs ( not albums ).

Settings / Services reads, CPU-11.6%-MEM:97.7%-SWAP:3%

Is this normal?

I'm using an 500gig Oyen SSD .

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1112 on: 21 Sep 2015, 10:32 pm »
Hello Group,

My BDP-1 running MM takes what seems forever to load roughly 500 songs ( not albums ).

Settings / Services reads, CPU-11.6%-MEM:97.7%-SWAP:3%

Is this normal?

I'm using an 500gig Oyen SSD .

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Could you better clarify load 500 songs?  Do you mean just to add 500 songs to the playlist?

mrderrick

« Reply #1113 on: 23 Sep 2015, 11:11 pm »
If I remove my drive to edit / ad music or reboot / restart my BDP-1 it can take as long as 10 minutes before I can play music. The display will indicate ready and then say cleaning up, then N, the U and finally I can update mpad and start to play some selections. Is the information that I listed in my initial post normal? Is this just normal operation with MM?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1114 on: 24 Sep 2015, 12:22 am »
If I remove my drive to edit / ad music or reboot / restart my BDP-1 it can take as long as 10 minutes before I can play music. The display will indicate ready and then say cleaning up, then N, the U and finally I can update mpad and start to play some selections. Is the information that I listed in my initial post normal? Is this just normal operation with MM?

Correct, the quickest way to add new music and start listening is to copy the music over the network.  There is a video tutorial in the video tutorials section, it's loony loon, but he process is the same.

Cheers
Chris

MoPac

« Reply #1115 on: 30 Sep 2015, 09:03 pm »
  BDP-2  S2.18  2015-09-26  Chrome
Chris:
 With the new update, when in Chrome, I am unable to scroll when in the Media Player settings ( gear ).  So after making a selection I cannot scroll down to Save or scroll up to X.  Works OK on the iPad / Safari where the menu selections are in their own scrolling window.

UPDATE:
 Can see all of that page if I do ( CTRL / - ) a few times.  So that's good enough,   but.... Trying to update the DB from iPad / Safari and all I've seen for around 45 minutes is the 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 dots indicating some kind of action though there is no progress indicator to know how far along the process is.  I have 11,550 tracks.
 How long should I allow this DB process to run?
    Thanks, Rich

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1116 on: 30 Sep 2015, 10:40 pm »
  BDP-2  S2.18  2015-09-26  Chrome
Chris:
 With the new update, when in Chrome, I am unable to scroll when in the Media Player settings ( gear ).  So after making a selection I cannot scroll down to Save or scroll up to X.  Works OK on the iPad / Safari where the menu selections are in their own scrolling window.

UPDATE:
 Can see all of that page if I do ( CTRL / - ) a few times.  So that's good enough,   but.... Trying to update the DB from iPad / Safari and all I've seen for around 45 minutes is the 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 dots indicating some kind of action though there is no progress indicator to know how far along the process is.  I have 11,550 tracks.
 How long should I allow this DB process to run?
    Thanks, Rich

It could just be you need to clear the cache in chrome, otherwise what platform are you using it on (ie Mac, windows, android, etc)?

11,500 tracks on even a BDP-1 should only take maybe 10-15 minutes.  It should also be displaying a progress above the dots.  Checking the dashboard may indicate a crash.  You could try the reset db found next to be save button on the media player settings page, assuming you can scroll down to it  :lol:

Otherwise if you place the BDP into service mode and email me the service if I can log into your unit and take a look.

Cheers

MoPac

« Reply #1117 on: 1 Oct 2015, 02:19 am »
Chris:
 I'm on Windows XP.  Cleared Chrome Cache and now the Media Player Settings screen displays as expected ( with selections in a small window that scrolls.
 Reset the DB on MM then retried DB load.  Still just dots with no progress bar.  If the track progress bar is used for this purpose it did not budge.
 Don't know exactly how to look for a Crash.  So I'll send service no.
   Thanks, Rich

Marius

« Reply #1118 on: 2 Oct 2015, 09:09 am »
HI Chris,

Ive recently reinstalled my Plex server on the Sinology Nas. On it is my backup of my music connected to the BDP on its usb drives.
The utter easy with which that works is stunning, the result is even better. Pure eye candy, and all extra functionality like background info, art, related artists, reviews etc etc. Even extra (user selectable) media channels are shown.

Adding to that, the interface dispenses with things like .flac and all other computer reminiscing feedback. Updating works automatically. All album art shows beautifully and if not provided, is fetched in the internet.

I know Plex doesn't work on the MPD / BDP. But given the fact that my Synology ds1512+ only has 1 gb memory, i thought it comparable to the relative weak processor power of the BDP(1), and still have these tons of features work effortlessly.

Has Bryston ever checked the Plex interface? I thought it appropriate to post here, as an inspiration and maybe guide to solutions with the Album art issues and interfacing of the MM software.

( i do have a so called Plex-pass which cost me 79 $ for lifetime registration, and gives extra functionality )

Artist overview

Related media

Individual Album

Cheers,
Marius

MoPac

« Reply #1119 on: 2 Oct 2015, 12:11 pm »
All:
 In response to the DB loading issue posted above, Chris says large album art ( file size ) can slow down the DB loading process.  Once the DB is loaded the first time any future loads ( new music ) will be fast.  Guess I should have had a few more cups of coffee.
  Rich