Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1080 on: 10 Sep 2015, 03:23 pm »
HI Chris,

Before i click these 2 new DB options in Media Player settings, please let us know what they do (i would have thought the DB was enabled, since i am able to view, select and play tracks)

Cheers, Marius

So as mentioned in the build notes (aka README) the Bryston DB (the database that the artist view and future album view are derived from) now automatically builds after MPD is done updating.  Because the new system hasn't been tested to thoroughly, it is by default turned off.  Checking "Bryston DB: Enable" turns the feature on and you can begin building the database by clicking the "Reset DB" button.  From then on forward each time MPD is done updating the Bryston DB will be updated.  "Bryston DB: Merge similar genre" will merge genres that are predefined and currently static.  When it does the comparison it is also suppose to ignore case.  Also I have revised my 120,000 song (BDP-1) limit to 60,000 for the BDP-1 and 8x this for the BDP-2, its a limitation of available system memory.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #1081 on: 10 Sep 2015, 04:24 pm »
Thanks Chris
Still can't read the NEWS, as mentioned several times before, the link leads to nowhere....

My db is far over 60000 tracks. Would enabling this brick my bdp again?

Marius

So as mentioned in the build notes (aka README) the Bryston DB (the database that the artist view and future album view are derived from) now automatically builds after MPD is done updating.  Because the new system hasn't been tested to thoroughly, it is by default turned off.  Checking "Bryston DB: Enable" turns the feature on and you can begin building the database by clicking the "Reset DB" button.  From then on forward each time MPD is done updating the Bryston DB will be updated.  "Bryston DB: Merge similar genre" will merge genres that are predefined and currently static.  When it does the comparison it is also suppose to ignore case.  Also I have revised my 120,000 song (BDP-1) limit to 60,000 for the BDP-1 and 8x this for the BDP-2, its a limitation of available system memory.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1082 on: 10 Sep 2015, 11:06 pm »
Thanks Chris
Still can't read the NEWS, as mentioned several times before, the link leads to nowhere....

My db is far over 60000 tracks. Would enabling this brick my bdp again?

Marius

I'm not sure why the NEWS files isn't generated when MPD 18.21 is selected and it's such I minor feature in havn't sunk any real time into it beyond checking the archive.

It shouldn't brick a BDP-1, i downloaded your tag_cache and ran the new art ware against it on one of my BDP-1's.  It should error out once the unit uses up the allotted amount of system memory and the crash reporter should display a message next time you visit the dashboard and free up the system space used

Marius

« Reply #1083 on: 11 Sep 2015, 07:16 am »
I'm not sure why the NEWS files isn't generated when MPD 18.21 is selected and it's such I minor feature in havn't sunk any real time into it beyond checking the archive.

It shouldn't brick a BDP-1, i downloaded your tag_cache and ran the new art ware against it on one of my BDP-1's.  It should error out once the unit uses up the allotted amount of system memory and the crash reporter should display a message next time you visit the dashboard and free up the system space used

as long as you've not changed the NEWS bug, maybe you could reinstate the webpage with version changes, and let us browse to it on the internet?

'free up the system space used" is his something the system does, or I should do manually. If the latter, please let me know how.

what is the new art ware? havent found any new options for Album Art in MM, maybe i just missed these?

I'll try and see what happens then :Xn
Marius

Marius

« Reply #1084 on: 11 Sep 2015, 08:50 am »

Cheers,
Chris

Acted as instructed: my MPD sees all music, but won't play anything. The -1's are there again.... I don't see any error message or other activity feedback for that matter. No idea if a DB is being built. Should i be seeing any MM feedback?  Might be a good idea to let the MM show some kind of activity feedback.

MPD seems to be ready

Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1085 on: 11 Sep 2015, 11:31 am »
The only page that shows feedback is the artist view page

Marius

« Reply #1086 on: 11 Sep 2015, 12:02 pm »
ok,
this is what is shown https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17975338/feedback%20MM.mov

not very informative...

been like this since half an hour or so

The only page that shows feedback is the artist view page

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #1087 on: 11 Sep 2015, 01:20 pm »
I got this too Marius. Cleared cache and tried again. Worked fine thereafter.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1088 on: 11 Sep 2015, 02:31 pm »
Marius problem is his library of +150,000 songs is far to large for a BDP-1 to handle and its not stating that it has failed

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1089 on: 11 Sep 2015, 02:32 pm »
ok,
this is what is shown https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17975338/feedback%20MM.mov

not very informative...

been like this since half an hour or so

When you see that a message on the dashboard should appear "Bryston DB Crash Detected" or there abouts.  The artist page just display's how much of the library has been processed.  What you posted looks like the BDP was rebooted after a failed attempt.  To try again you would force the BDP to rebuild the database again by using the "Reset DB" button found under the Media Player Settings page.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2015, 03:34 pm by unincognito »

Marius

« Reply #1090 on: 12 Sep 2015, 10:52 am »
Marius problem is his library of +150,000 songs is far to large for a BDP-1 to handle and its not stating that it has failed

Hi Chris, my 'problem' is im not sure whats going on because the MM interface doesn't say so.. I realize a larger library was not within the grap of the BDP1, there for i divided it over several USB drives, to be able to test  the separate libraries in MM.

Are you saying here that you'll build a more robust feedback into MM. That would be great, and really necessary indeed. Please incorporate some instructions too, so we don't only know something has gone amiss, but also get some guidance on resolving the issues at hand.

Cheers,
M

Marius

« Reply #1091 on: 12 Sep 2015, 11:00 am »
I got this after clicking the Artist View button, not after rebooting.

Indeed i now get a Crash detection message, but clicking it does nothing but reload the dashboard, although it seems to be a clickable link (get the hand pointer). Please build in some instruction on these error messages?

my Artist View page shows a 39% music sorting, so it either is still sorting and is progress in itself, or is crashed and the screen is frozen. I dont know how to tell.
BDP still at nominal operation..... which is clearly isn't of course ;-0

Will resetting the DB start all over, a continue from where it left off?
Thanks,
Marius

When you see that a message on the dashboard should appear "Bryston DB Crash Detected" or there abouts.  The artist page just display's how much of the library has been processed.  What you posted looks like the BDP was rebooted after a failed attempt.  To try again you would force the BDP to rebuild the database again by using the "Reset DB" button found under the Media Player Settings page.
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2015, 11:14 am by Marius »

Marius

« Reply #1092 on: 12 Sep 2015, 11:32 am »
HI Chris,

in the top section of MM you show Dashboard, Back on the left, and Mediaplayer on the right, in various situations.

Would it be possible to have Dashboard (L) and Mediaplayer (R) always there.

If one is in one of the bottom Settings tabs it now shows Back, but that is not really clear, since it goes back to Dashboard.. So why not show Dashboard.

Also, if one wants to go to media player from there, one first needs to click Back (to Dashboard), and from there, click Mediaplayer.

If these two are always on, it would be clearer and quicker. (of course Dashboard and Mediaplayer pages are the only exceptions, only the button to the other would be needed)

Cheers,
Marius

elothe

« Reply #1093 on: 14 Sep 2015, 08:40 am »
Hi Erik,

I do not think Gnome is being supported and longer - do you know?

james
Hi James

I looked into it and it seems that Gnome has been replaced by "Music". I'll try it soon, and perhaps "Auremo", too. A brief report will follow. Thank you.

Cheers, Erik

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1094 on: 14 Sep 2015, 10:39 am »
Hi James

I looked into it and it seems that Gnome has been replaced by "Music". I'll try it soon, and perhaps "Auremo", too. A brief report will follow. Thank you.

Cheers, Erik

Yes please let me know as I thought Gnome was a great interface.

james

sonik

« Reply #1095 on: 14 Sep 2015, 10:53 am »
I've been following this thread for many months and cannot understand why such an expensive and otherwise (apparently) outstanding component is plagued by so many software bugs.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1096 on: 14 Sep 2015, 11:06 am »
I've been following this thread for many months and cannot understand why such an expensive and otherwise (apparently) outstanding component is plagued by so many software bugs.

Hi sonik

I think it may appear that way but the reality is that most customers do not use their BDP's at the level some other customers (ex Marius) do and because Chris our software developer is always trying new things and getting feedback on BETA versions of the software it may appear that way on the surface. 

If you are using the software released at the production level there are very few issues - it is the BETA levels where things appear complicated but eventually based on our Beta testers feedback things get fixed and new production software is implemented.

james

Rocket

« Reply #1097 on: 14 Sep 2015, 11:58 am »
Hi,

I bought my Bryston BDP-1 a few months ago and it works flawlessly.  I keep it simple and it works well for me. I never thought a digital front end was so important to sound quality.

Cheers Rod

Samurai7595

« Reply #1098 on: 14 Sep 2015, 05:42 pm »
My BDP-2 digital player works flawlessly and plays all my FLAC Music files but for some reason, when I upgraded the firmware from S1.60 to S2.12 (and now S2.16) I lost album art for roughly 22 of my albums and no matter what I try, nothing seems to rectify my issue.  For my albums that lost their album art, nothing else changed, only the firmware was updated.  I've exchanged several emails with Chris but I still have the issue...  :(

Also, after the firmware upgrade (S2.16), the odd time when I add a new album to my USB memory stick, I get the album listed twice.  Both albums list all the songs & can play all the songs but one of the two albums does not display the album art.  This does not happen every time but it does do it every now and then even though I always follow the same process when ripping my CDs to FLAC music files via dBpoweramp on my Windows 7 Pro desktop.   :scratch:

Marius

« Reply #1099 on: 15 Sep 2015, 07:21 am »
HI James, maybe start using  the Beta software thread again?
can't find it though.

Marius

Hi sonik

I think it may appear that way but the reality is that most customers do not use their BDP's at the level some other customers (ex Marius) do and because Chris our software developer is always trying new things and getting feedback on BETA versions of the software it may appear that way on the surface. 

If you are using the software released at the production level there are very few issues - it is the BETA levels where things appear complicated but eventually based on our Beta testers feedback things get fixed and new production software is implemented.

james