Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1040 on: 12 Aug 2015, 10:55 pm »
James,

So, then I have to send my BDP-2 to you for repair.

(I just bought it in early July, encountered this problem on the first day when I received it,
and actually emailed you about it.)

Hi

Email Mike Pickett and see if he can help - I am just not sure what causes it and he will be more knowledgable on that.

james

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #1041 on: 12 Aug 2015, 11:16 pm »
MV, before you send it in, try disconnecting ALL music drives from the BDP and see if it boots without giving you error 09. Do you ever see the LOCK LED on your DAC before you get the error?

-Gary

mv

« Reply #1042 on: 12 Aug 2015, 11:39 pm »
MV, before you send it in, try disconnecting ALL music drives from the BDP and see if it boots without giving you error 09. Do you ever see the LOCK LED on your DAC before you get the error?

-Gary

It boots fine when there are no USB thumb drives plugged in. (I do not have a harddrive installed.)

I do not have any LEDs on my integrated amp that the BDP-2 is connected to via AES/EBU and also USB cables.

Krutsch

« Reply #1043 on: 13 Aug 2015, 05:07 am »

I have 'isolated' the BDP-2 from the network by using a fibre optic ethernet link to connect it to my network, and use batteries to power the fibre converters.

Really... do you find that reduces electrical noise into the BDP-2? There are some folks on the MinimServer forum that are pretty excited about the Melco NAS that does something similar with optically isolated ethernet ports.

Personally, I use an Apple Airport Express in bridge mode to isolate my BDP-1 from physical connections with other devices; works great, but was done for convenience, as my router is a ways away from my BDP-1. Airport bridge into 100Mbps has no trouble keeping up with 192kHz / 24-bit tracks transcoded to WAV/24 and sent via the network.

On the previous topic, I've gone back to experimenting with MinimServer and MinimStreamer, serving the BDP-1 with the DLNA client enabled (GMediaRender). Flawless playback with gapless tracks, et al., but I had to setup MinimStreamer to transcode ALAC and AAC (MP4) files to WAV/24, in-line, using SoX; AAC files were completely hanging during playback and high-res ALAC files had some difficulties playing. I've left MP3 files to playback natively.  I can scrub back and forth, play, pause with not even slightest glitch on gapless tracks.

I am also happy to see that the BDP-1's CPU usage is very low (hovering around 6%) with the transcoded WAV/24 files and the system sounds good.

I wish the track title and artist would show up in the little window, and the front panel buttons don't do anything, but otherwise things work well with the BDP-1 as a DLNA renderer.

Marius

« Reply #1044 on: 13 Aug 2015, 08:32 am »
HI Richard,

Thanks! Ill certainly experiment with this, started reading http://forums.slimdevices.com/.

To take a shortcut, please let me ask you this:

I have a Synology Nas up for experimenting, do you know of a Daphile package for Synology?

You say you can stream to/operate from your ios device, which app do you use for that?

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

Daphile doesn't require Logitech hardware.  It is a dedicated linux program which I run on an HP Proliant Miniserver housing a 2Tb HD for the Daphile software and my music files.
Daphile doesn't need a NAS, a dedicated PC on the network would serve just as well.  Once installed and running Daphile recognizes any device running Squeezelite on the network, and you can then stream your music to that device.  For example I stream to the BDP-2, also to my Touch and my Android 'phone and a Raspberry Pi.  You can operate it from its web page or from apps on your iOS or android devices.  It is an dedicated version of Logitech Media Server (LMS),  - which can be run as a program on Windows, Linux or Apple PCs.
There is a Slim Devices Squeezebox forum and Wiki if you need more information.
If Chris hadn't incorporated Squeezelite as a service, and with it the possibility of using the BDP-2 as a renderer, I would have given up on it.
Fortunately he did and I'm very happy streaming to it.

Regards, Richard

R. Daneel

« Reply #1045 on: 13 Aug 2015, 09:29 am »
It starts, but then I get an error message after the initialization:

Error 09

both of the above in the right side of the display, and the following the lower left corner:

R03.0 2012-11-27

It is impossible to use the unit after that.
I have to turn it off, remove all the USB thumb drives, and restart.

Hi!

Does this occur with all USB flash drives or only some of them?

I had the same problem with the BDP-1 as it would simply not boot-up if a certain flash drive was plugged in.

If it happens with a certain flash drive, you could perhaps send it to Bryston and let them have a look.

Cheers!
Antun

afblaster

« Reply #1046 on: 13 Aug 2015, 01:31 pm »
HI Richard,

Thanks! Ill certainly experiment with this, started reading http://forums.slimdevices.com/.

To take a shortcut, please let me ask you this:

I have a Synology Nas up for experimenting, do you know of a Daphile package for Synology?

You say you can stream to/operate from your ios device, which app do you use for that?

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

I don't have a definitive answer to your 1st question.  If your NAS uses a regular Intel x86 processor then it should work.

I suggest you look at the Daphile web site or the Slimservices forum for confirmation.  The author of the software is always willing to advise, in my experience.
There are also lots of other computer/music forums that have Daphile threads.

I don't stream to my iPad, I mainly use iPeng8 (small charge) or Squeezebox (free) apps to tell Daphile which music to stream to the BDP.

Good luck with your experimenting, it can be a bit of a struggle to get it working at first, but I've found it was well worth the effort.

Regards,

Richard

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #1047 on: 13 Aug 2015, 03:01 pm »
It boots fine when there are no USB thumb drives plugged in. (I do not have a harddrive installed.)

I do not have any LEDs on my integrated amp that the BDP-2 is connected to via AES/EBU and also USB cables.
This means that one of your thumb drives has a boot flag enabled so the BDP tries to boot from it rather than the internal flash memory card. To determine which one, add the thumb drives back one at a time and restart the BDP. You'll get error 09 again once you find the offending thumb drive. Backup the music from the thumb drive that's causing the error. Then remove all thumb drives, restart the BDP, once it boots, install the error09 thumb drive.

Go to the Manic moose interface using your web browser. Go to disk info. Your thumb drive will probably be the 4th and 5th items (beneath user). Click the last entry and click mount. It will turn white (YOU DID BACKUP THE MUSIC FROM THE THUMB DRIVE, RIGHT??). Now click erase. Choose FAT32 and title the partition as you choose. Proceed and the BDP will format the thumb drive and install a small piece of software that prevents the BDP from trying to boot up from the thumb drive. Copy your music back to it and you should be good to go. PM me if you have problems.

Krutsch

« Reply #1048 on: 14 Aug 2015, 01:55 am »
Serious question: do you think it sounds as good? FWIW, I experimented with the Shairplay and the DLNA client (GMediaRender?) and came to the conclusion that the sound quality wasn't on-par with MPD playback. But, I know my mind plays tricks on me with respect to expectation bias (and, it's not possible to do a blind test, as GMediaRender takes-over the sound card - you can't quickly flip back and forth).

Have you experienced anything like this or have an opinion?

- Ken

Well, I spent some time today really listening to GMediaRender (MinimServer, SoX) vs. MPD (local USB SSD) on the BDP-1 and it's really no contest, with respect to sound quality. There is a clarity to MPD playback that just isn't there with GMediaRender.

Let's hope Manic Moose continues to improve and we can get past these minor glitches.

Marius

« Reply #1049 on: 14 Aug 2015, 08:04 am »

On the previous topic, I've gone back to experimenting with MinimServer and MinimStreamer, serving the BDP-1 with the DLNA client enabled (GMediaRender). Flawless playback with gapless tracks, et al., but I had to setup MinimStreamer to transcode ALAC and AAC (MP4) files to WAV/24, in-line, using SoX;

I wish the track title and artist would show up in the little window, and the front panel buttons don't do anything, but otherwise things work well with the BDP-1 as a DLNA renderer.
HI Ken,

Ive managed to get Minimserver up and running, have DLNA enabled on the BDP1, but to get de BDP to play through the audio setup, BDP out, BDA1 in, BP26 etc. (opposed to other clients on their own speakers (mac, iPhone etc)?
Plex should be a universal player but doesn't see the server. SoX i will try next.

[edit] after a bit of tweaking in the port forwarding section of my router, the good old Goodplayer found the Minimserver without issues, running very very smoothly  :thumb:
Still looking for a way to play over the main system though

Cheers,
Marius
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2015, 09:46 am by Marius »

Marius

« Reply #1050 on: 14 Aug 2015, 08:09 am »
HI Chris,

Could you make the frontpanel arrow-buttons react to press/hold please. Scrolling down/up the folders list requires pushing the buttons for each folder down/up the list. Would be so much easier if we could just push and hold till we reach the needed folder.
Might be better for the lifespan of the buttons too...

Cheers,
Marius

Krutsch

« Reply #1051 on: 14 Aug 2015, 02:45 pm »
HI Ken,

Ive managed to get Minimserver up and running, have DLNA enabled on the BDP1, but to get de BDP to play through the audio setup, BDP out, BDA1 in, BP26 etc. (opposed to other clients on their own speakers (mac, iPhone etc)?
Plex should be a universal player but doesn't see the server. SoX i will try next.

[edit] after a bit of tweaking in the port forwarding section of my router, the good old Goodplayer found the Minimserver without issues, running very very smoothly  :thumb:
Still looking for a way to play over the main system though

Cheers,
Marius

Good to hear. To use SoX with MinimStreamer for transcoding, you will need to build a version of FFMpeg with libsoxr. See this link to get started:

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/FFmpeg%20and%20the%20SoX%20Resampler

Then, to set MinimStreamer to use it, you need to setup your system tab settings to something like this:

...there is a wealth of info on the MinimServer forum, if you need more information. You will love MinimServer with the right control point (e.g. Linn Kazoo or BubbleUPnP on Android). I've spent quite a bit of time with Minim - the learning curve is more like a chicane, but the results are worth the effort.

Marius

« Reply #1052 on: 14 Aug 2015, 03:40 pm »
Ok great Ken,
Looking kinda simular to my settings. I'll adjust those streamer values accordingly.

But, how to select this to be output by the bdp? Or does it do so automatically like when using the AirPlay simulator , overriding everything else it is doing.

Marius

Krutsch

« Reply #1053 on: 14 Aug 2015, 03:48 pm »
Ok great Ken,
Looking kinda simular to my settings. I'll adjust those streamer values accordingly.

But, how to select this to be output by the bdp? Or does it do so automatically like when using the AirPlay simulator , overriding everything else it is doing.

Marius

You have to enable the DLNA Renderer in the Services tab in Manic Moose. Then, you need a "Control Point" app, like Linn Kazoo or BubbleUPnP, which will allow you to select the BDP-1 as the DLNA Renderer (the machine running MinimServer is the DLNA Server).

The BDP-1 will show up as "BDP:12:34:56:78:9A:BC (or whatever the BDP's MAC address is).

If you have an Android phone or tablet, start with BubbleUPnP - it's the easiest way to get started. If you go the Linn Kazoo route, you will need an Open Home server; BubbleUPnPServer works great for this, but this elevates the complexity as the BDP doesn't include ohnet services on the box.

If all of this is new to you, you have a learning curve ahead of you... this is why DLNA has basically failed and why Bryston went though the effort to build a simple web interface directly into the BDP.

Marius

« Reply #1054 on: 14 Aug 2015, 04:10 pm »
Thanks,

No it is not all new to me, have several machines here playing together. Was just that the BDP's workings in this it not always clear to me, glad you could point me to some solutions. Im on Apples machines mostly here, so will search for control points on that platform.
Might already have some... Plex, Goodplayer, VLC, ill check these out, and then if not satisfactory go elsewhere Linn, Bubble if possible.

Cheers!
Marius

You have to enable the DLNA Renderer in the Services tab in Manic Moose. Then, you need a "Control Point" app, like Linn Kazoo or BubbleUPnP, which will allow you to select the BDP-1 as the DLNA Renderer (the machine running MinimServer is the DLNA Server).

The BDP-1 will show up as "BDP:12:34:56:78:9A:BC (or whatever the BDP's MAC address is).

If you have an Android phone or tablet, start with BubbleUPnP - it's the easiest way to get started. If you go the Linn Kazoo route, you will need an Open Home server; BubbleUPnPServer works great for this, but this elevates the complexity as the BDP doesn't include ohnet services on the box.

If all of this is new to you, you have a learning curve ahead of you... this is why DLNA has basically failed and why Bryston went though the effort to build a simple web interface directly into the BDP.

mv

« Reply #1055 on: 15 Aug 2015, 03:18 am »
Hi

Email Mike Pickett and see if he can help - I am just not sure what causes it and he will be more knowledgable on that.

james

What is his email?

mv

« Reply #1056 on: 15 Aug 2015, 03:21 am »
This means that one of your thumb drives has a boot flag enabled so the BDP tries to boot from it rather than the internal flash memory card. To determine which one, add the thumb drives back one at a time and restart the BDP. You'll get error 09 again once you find the offending thumb drive. Backup the music from the thumb drive that's causing the error. Then remove all thumb drives, restart the BDP, once it boots, install the error09 thumb drive.

Go to the Manic moose interface using your web browser. Go to disk info. Your thumb drive will probably be the 4th and 5th items (beneath user). Click the last entry and click mount. It will turn white (YOU DID BACKUP THE MUSIC FROM THE THUMB DRIVE, RIGHT??). Now click erase. Choose FAT32 and title the partition as you choose. Proceed and the BDP will format the thumb drive and install a small piece of software that prevents the BDP from trying to boot up from the thumb drive. Copy your music back to it and you should be good to go. PM me if you have problems.

These 3 USB thumb drives worked perfectly fine when plugged into my BDP-1 with the same firmware, S2.16 (the current official firmware release):
I could restart the BDP-1 without removing them, and they were plugged in in the same way (two on the front, and one on the back).

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1057 on: 15 Aug 2015, 04:26 pm »
i think gary wants you to turn the bdp on with only one plugged in at a time and test each one to see if its all of them or just one of them preventing the bdp from initializing

Krutsch

« Reply #1058 on: 16 Aug 2015, 05:38 am »
It's not my ripping program, which is XLD or iTunes, depending on how old the music is. And, to reiterate, I first noticed this with the latest build.

I looked at the Media Player settings, to verify that I have not selected "Use Files Names Over Tag Data":

Then, I navigated to Grateful Dead within the Artists View, and verified that the Bryston DB shows the correct song data (it does):

Then, I clicked on the Play Arrow to load the album; it loads and plays back in the correct order, as seen below:

Finally, I cleared the queue and navigated to the same Album Artists using the Default View and loaded the same album:

...notice that Truckin' (which is track 10 is now track #2, as in: 1, 10, 2, 3, ... N).

The default view is giving priority to the filename for sorting, as opposed to the track's meta data.

Thanks,

Ken

UPDATE: I discovered this evening that this behavior seems to be with ALAC (Apple Lossless files). I loaded some FLAC files on a thumb drive and noticed that the track ordering from the Default View was correct.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1059 on: 16 Aug 2015, 03:35 pm »
Do the tracks by chance order them selves relative to how long (track length) they are?