Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Krutsch

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #980 on: 10 Jul 2015, 02:00 am »
Chris,

Downloaded Build: S2.17 2015-07-06 ... nice work and does address some of the things I've noticed with the Bryston DB updates.

I'll skip the little things I'm seeing, and have mostly already reported here and the Bryston support forum.

One issue I am seeing: album sorting within an Artist grouping in the Artists View.

Artists I've recently visited seem to retain the same, random sorting from before this update. Artists I click on that I haven't recently viewed now seem to sort correctly (i.e. by album title, alphabetically).

Is it possible that something is cached somewhere that is retaining the previous, incorrect sort ordering? I *did* Update the MPD database, clicked on "Rebuild DB", restarted the BDP-1 and then navigated into the Media Player / Artists View (which triggered a rebuild).

Manic Moose keeps getting better with each new BETA build, so keep up the great work!

-- Ken

mv

« Reply #981 on: 10 Jul 2015, 10:09 am »
Does S2.17 allow the MPaD app to display the sampling frequency and # of bits per sample on the coverart of the album that plays?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #982 on: 10 Jul 2015, 12:46 pm »
Does S2.17 allow the MPaD app to display the sampling frequency and # of bits per sample on the coverart of the album that plays?

That's not a problem wih the firmware, the developer of mPad removed the feature long ago, nothing we can do about it and by the sounds of it be doesn't want to put it back in.

The Sandman

• The Admin Zone
« Reply #983 on: 10 Jul 2015, 02:08 pm »
That's not a problem wih the firmware, the developer of mPad removed the feature long ago, nothing we can do about it and by the sounds of it be doesn't want to put it back in.

The bitrate display was missing from mPaD for a while but was restored a long time ago. To make it visible, do a two finger tap (not a single tap twice, two fingers tapping together once) on the cover art display in the lower left corner.

Krutsch

« Reply #984 on: 10 Jul 2015, 02:18 pm »
Wow... thanks much for that tip! I read that was there, but I couldn't for the life of me find it in the UI.

Thanks!

mv

« Reply #985 on: 10 Jul 2015, 07:11 pm »

I have a BDP-1.

Why is it that when I check for the latest firmware available, I get that it is:
S2.16 2015-06-19

(I just checked.)

Is S2.17 not available for BDP-1?

The Sandman

• The Admin Zone
« Reply #986 on: 10 Jul 2015, 07:15 pm »
I have a BDP-1.

Why is it that when I check for the latest firmware available, I get that it is:
S2.16 2015-06-19

(I just checked.)

Is S2.17 not available for BDP-1?

S2.17 is probably a beta release.

mv

« Reply #987 on: 10 Jul 2015, 07:43 pm »
S2.17 is probably a beta release.

Then how was Ken able to update to S2.17?

BTW, I just received a new BDP-2 which should have the new sound card,
and a quick check indicated that S2.16 is also the latest firmware available for it.

The Sandman

• The Admin Zone
« Reply #988 on: 10 Jul 2015, 08:07 pm »
Then how was Ken able to update to S2.17?

BTW, I just received a new BDP-2 which should have the new sound card,
and a quick check indicated that S2.16 is also the latest firmware available for it.

Beta testers have access to download the beta releases. The rest of us don't. It's safer to wait for the stable releases anyway.

Krutsch

« Reply #989 on: 11 Jul 2015, 07:43 pm »
Beta testers have access to download the beta releases. The rest of us don't. It's safer to wait for the stable releases anyway.

I think (?) everyone has access to the BETAs, as Chris published the "trick" for getting to the BETA download: add "#beta" to the end of the URL for firmware updates in your browser, after clicking on Update Firmware.

But, you are correct, it's probably safer to wait for the stable releases. I am just an addicted tinkerer, so I've been updating and reporting issues I find in an effort to be helpful.

vklyushnikov

« Reply #990 on: 11 Jul 2015, 07:57 pm »
Just installed S2.17 2015-07-10 and can confirm that Bryston DB update is fixed - it is stable and fast. I noticed only problems with search - it is not functioning in Artist view and very slow in Default view. Also old problem with special characters in artist name still exists in Default view - "AC/DC" still missing from Artist tree node in right column. Hope all this remaining problems will be fixed in nearest builds.

Norton

« Reply #991 on: 11 Jul 2015, 08:32 pm »
I'm on latest beta too.

I've never used Artist View before.

When I select it, it tells me it's building the view, n% complete etc.  Then "Build finished" but all I then see is a blank pane.

Is there something else I need to do to see anything at all under artists view?

Krutsch

« Reply #992 on: 11 Jul 2015, 08:41 pm »
^^ Reset DB, then restart your BDP and then go into Artists View. It will then rebuild, correctly.

- Ken

Norton

« Reply #993 on: 11 Jul 2015, 08:50 pm »
^^ Reset DB, then restart your BDP and then go into Artists View. It will then rebuild, correctly.

- Ken

Tried that, I get "sorting music into Bryston DB n%" then blank pane with "Finished Build" but that's all.

Krutsch

« Reply #994 on: 11 Jul 2015, 08:52 pm »
Have you tried just going back to the Dashboard and then back into the Artists View?

Beyond that, not sure what's next for you to try...

Norton

« Reply #995 on: 11 Jul 2015, 09:06 pm »
Have you tried just going back to the Dashboard and then back into the Artists View?

Beyond that, not sure what's next for you to try...

Yes, tried that.  I'm sure there's something basic I'm missing, but can't work out what it is....

Krutsch

« Reply #996 on: 11 Jul 2015, 09:14 pm »
A while back I had an issue where my library wasn't updating. This is what I did:

1. Remove all external storage and/or disconnect NAS shares

2. Restart the BDP

3. Update MPD (let it finish - will be quick, as it's going to zero out the library)

4. Reset DB and restart the BDP

5. Go into Artists View (again, should show an empty library)

6. Re-attached storage and update MPD and the Bryston DB.

I wish Manic Moose had a button somewhere called: Rebuild Everything  ...   :o

mv

« Reply #997 on: 12 Jul 2015, 06:03 pm »
I am having a problem with the display of song titles in MPaD when used with my BDP-2 (and also BDP-1).

This is for DSD64 albums downloaded from NativeDSD, where the file names
are very long and are formed as the number of the song, followed by the album title,
followed by the artist's name, followed by the song title + .dsf at the end.

The metadata has the correct song titles, and the correct number of the song.

However, instead of the title of the song from the metadata, MPaD is displaying the long file name
for most of the albums.
I tried shortening the file names to about 20 characters for some (thinking that they were too long
and somehow that was an issue), but this did not help.

Is there a setting in MPaD somewhere that I need to change?

Again, this problem occurs for the song titles in about 2/3 of the downloads from NativeDSD,
but 1/3 have their song titles displayed correctly

mv

« Reply #998 on: 14 Jul 2015, 09:33 am »
The bitrate display was missing from mPaD for a while but was restored a long time ago. To make it visible, do a two finger tap (not a single tap twice, two fingers tapping together once) on the cover art display in the lower left corner.

A two finger tap works, but the frequency of sampling is displayed incorrectly:

192000 kHz, which is wrong, as it should be either 192 kHz (the better way) or 192000 Hz.

James:

Do you guys have a formatting error in the number that you pass to MPaD?
Did someone forget to divide by 1000?

mv

« Reply #999 on: 14 Jul 2015, 09:34 am »
I am having a problem with the display of song titles in MPaD when used with my BDP-2 (and also BDP-1).

This is for DSD64 albums downloaded from NativeDSD, where the file names
are very long and are formed as the number of the song, followed by the album title,
followed by the artist's name, followed by the song title + .dsf at the end.

The metadata has the correct song titles, and the correct number of the song.

However, instead of the title of the song from the metadata, MPaD is displaying the long file name
for most of the albums.
I tried shortening the file names to about 20 characters for some (thinking that they were too long
and somehow that was an issue), but this did not help.

Is there a setting in MPaD somewhere that I need to change?

Again, this problem occurs for the song titles in about 2/3 of the downloads from NativeDSD,
but 1/3 have their song titles displayed correctly

This appears to be fixed now.
May be S2.16 helped to fix the issue.