Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #940 on: 25 Jun 2015, 05:36 pm »
HI Chris,

Thanks for the latest beta update, back.jpg is showing on MM iphone! great. (though i cant get it to show on MM desktop :scratch:)

On the other hand, on MM iphone, the playlist won't show, while on desktop it is acting as expected. Is there a setting to change, or have i encountered a bug.

Cheers Marius

it was working fine on the desktop layout, allthough i didn't really throughly test it either.  It also looks like the websockets connection isn't loading properly either (all the "-1" everywhere)

Krutsch

« Reply #941 on: 26 Jun 2015, 03:24 am »
Wow... just updated to:

S2.17 2015-06-24
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.18.21 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486

Really nice work, Chris!

With my BDP-1 and 13,000+ tracks, the UI responsiveness is fantastic. Still work to do, as you mention in the BETA notes, but I am extremely pleased and thank you for the continued effort.

Ken

vklyushnikov

« Reply #942 on: 27 Jun 2015, 12:00 pm »
My experience with S2.17 2015-06-24 is much worse. Album database update simply hanged on "Sorting music into Bryston DB". So I stayed with blank artist view. I'm on BDP-2 with 2400 songs.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #943 on: 27 Jun 2015, 12:05 pm »
My experience with S2.17 2015-06-24 is much worse. Album database update simply hanged on "Sorting music into Bryston DB". So I stayed with blank artist view. I'm on BDP-2 with 2400 songs.

Yes 24 is a beta.

james

Krutsch

« Reply #944 on: 27 Jun 2015, 04:33 pm »
Also, I threw in a "back.jpg" image for a couple of albums; that's really cool that you can click on the album art and toggle between the front and back CD insert. I am tempted to hunt down back album art for everything; with 1,200+ albums, that might take a while  8)

Great feature idea!

Rod_S

« Reply #945 on: 27 Jun 2015, 05:25 pm »
So in order to get the back cover art to show, we have to have it saved as back.jpg and it can't be called anything else?

Marius

« Reply #946 on: 27 Jun 2015, 05:39 pm »
it was working fine on the desktop layout, allthough i didn't really throughly test it either.  It also looks like the websockets connection isn't loading properly either (all the "-1" everywhere)

Not sure how come, but the back.jpg is showing fine now on desktop MM,  thanks Chris, much appreciated.

Would you care to explain why mpd 19 is supposed to be BDP1 incompatible? edit: Working fine here.... sorry spoke too soon, hadn't rebooted and the mpd version hadn't changed yet i suppose . Sorry for that. Why is it incompatible?

Of course my mpd db is still crashed, but it was already so before I changed to 19. What to do about that Chris? I can't say I notice any 'crashed' behavior .

Cheers Marius

Rod_S

« Reply #947 on: 27 Jun 2015, 06:12 pm »
Also, I threw in a "back.jpg" image for a couple of albums; that's really cool that you can click on the album art and toggle between the front and back CD insert. I am tempted to hunt down back album art for everything; with 1,200+ albums, that might take a while  8)

Great feature idea!

If you find a good source for the back CD inserts please let us know. Taking apart my CD cases to get at the inserts would be a pain. It's to bad the inserts weren't the same as the back page of the CD booklets/sleeves :(

Krutsch

« Reply #948 on: 27 Jun 2015, 07:40 pm »
If you find a good source for the back CD inserts please let us know. Taking apart my CD cases to get at the inserts would be a pain. It's to bad the inserts weren't the same as the back page of the CD booklets/sleeves :(

Oh, just use Google. Seriously. I looked up a bunch of albums and found all of them, immediately.

Try Googling: <artist> <album> back cover (e.g. natalie merchant tigerlily back cover)

...and click in Images and you will get a collection to choose from. I haven't found an album that doesn't hit (even tried some obscure stuff).

Rod_S

« Reply #949 on: 27 Jun 2015, 10:14 pm »
Cool, thanks  :thumb:, I didn't realize it would be that simple.

Rod_S

« Reply #950 on: 27 Jun 2015, 10:19 pm »
I've been listening to a lot of music today. Impressions are very positive. Very clean and solid sound all around, bass is super tight.

Something I have been noticing, I have been loading complete albums and when the songs from one album transition to the next (if I have multiple albums in the queue or I clear the queue and add the next album) there seems to be a 1 song delay before the album art updates. So either no album shows for the 1st song or the previous album cover remains for the 1st song. Anyone else experience this? I'm using the Bryston app in Safari on an iPad.

Krutsch

« Reply #951 on: 27 Jun 2015, 11:05 pm »
I've been listening to a lot of music today. Impressions are very positive. Very clean and solid sound all around, bass is super tight.

Something I have been noticing, I have been loading complete albums and when the songs from one album transition to the next (if I have multiple albums in the queue or I clear the queue and add the next album) there seems to be a 1 song delay before the album art updates. So either no album shows for the 1st song or the previous album cover remains for the 1st song. Anyone else experience this? I'm using the Bryston app in Safari on an iPad.

Yes. I've seen this issue for some time (across a number of releases).

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #952 on: 28 Jun 2015, 08:31 am »
Ditto. A reboot fixes it, but it will eventually show up again.

Marius

« Reply #953 on: 28 Jun 2015, 08:44 am »
Ditto. A reboot fixes it, but it will eventually show up again.

Ditto2.
Been like that for a long time. Not sure if it started with the beta's or even before. Several posts on AC have written on that.

Do you also have the cover of the last track displayed after clearing the tracklist? Being one track behind might be the reason for that phenomenon on my BDP1...

playlist ended, album art still there, check the -1's.

Cheers,
Marius
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2015, 03:01 pm by Marius »

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #954 on: 28 Jun 2015, 08:55 am »

Hey Rod,

I found that *I* can't just scan covers and get a quality image. There's some digital manipulation to it. So, I found a few websites that were helpful to me.

"Album Art Exchange" usually has GREAT quality FRONT cover art (albumartexchange.com)
"All CD Covers" has fewer images but frequently includes images of the cd, inside cover, and back cover (allcdcovers.com).

I haven't found EVERY cover I've wanted, but they are great starting spots.

- Garrett

Marius

« Reply #955 on: 28 Jun 2015, 09:02 am »
Since were talking album extras here: I recall a discussion on being able to have a text- file per album. Cant seem to find the settings anymore, does anyone out here use that?
An info.pdf, or info.txt or tracklist.txt per album making browsing the album so much more informative.

Also, could anyone please explain what the Media Player setting ' jump to currently playing song' does? Seems to be as obvious as it can be, but I've never noticed it?

Thanks,
Marius

Rod_S

« Reply #956 on: 28 Jun 2015, 02:16 pm »
Thanks guys. At least I'm not the only one so it's not me doing something wrong so that's good.

My scanned album covers have gone quite smoothly resolution wise but I've only done that when I couldn't find good images online.

Marius

« Reply #957 on: 28 Jun 2015, 08:46 pm »
HI Chris,

Renaming/deleting albums and tracks, forces us to fully update the BDP in MM. Which takes longer and longer, even with the latest beta update, on a larger library. Could you provide for a selective full update?
(adding new files can be done selectively, changed or deleted files -  folder-names can't be handed that way.)

Would be a very very welcomed improvement indeed.

Thanks,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #958 on: 29 Jun 2015, 02:25 pm »
So in order to get the back cover art to show, we have to have it saved as back.jpg and it can't be called anything else?

not currently, if i can add a feature that doesn't require the user to enter a setting i can implement with relative ease... usually.  Adding a UI element to say specify a name takes additional time.  With the that said the feature appears to gaining momentum so i'll probably add something in the near future.

Rod_S

« Reply #959 on: 29 Jun 2015, 03:54 pm »
Thanks

What would be neat is if you could simply use a generic tap to move next feature. That would accommodate numerous images and then you could store the front, back and all liner notes thus tapping simply moves to the next image in the folder.