Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #760 on: 13 Aug 2014, 01:18 am »
Those would have to be very long songs. If the songs had an average length of 5 minutes ( too long for pop singles) that would only get you 25 hours.

On the other hand, 300 tracks would let you fully program an all day (12 hour) party.

I randomly shoved in 300 songs from different folders and got any where from 36 to 42 hours of playback, granted that's not quite two days but it's quite.  Ultimately my point is that's just the default.  I've seen modern tablets handle thousands of songs, in that case a user could change it to a few thousand and not worry about accidental input.  Your currently stuck at what ever your using as a remote is capable of handling before you find the speed unacceptable.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #761 on: 13 Aug 2014, 01:22 am »
Thing is, I use playlists almost exclusively.  Don't casually create playlists for some special occasion.  For LMS and the Touch I created dozens of .M3U playlists using JRiver, then had LMS point to them.  The playlists were something like "Symphonies", "Violin Concertos", "Solo Piano", "Jazz", "Rock" etc.....  The Jazz and Rock would be played scrambled ( more surprises that way ).  300 songs in a playlist like Jazz or Rock would tend to repeat without using "Consume".  around 2200 Jazz songs would require about eight 300 song playlists.  Not practical. :nono:
  Guess I'll use MM to set the max playlist size and use MPAD to create / play the playlists.  Just have to remember to clear the playlist from MPAD before opening MM.

Chris, Thanks for the clarification.
Rich

There is even a work around for this scenario, load the playlist, close the window, open the dashboard and you will still have basic playback functions

Play
Pause
Next track
Previous track
Toggle consume
Toggle shuffle
Toggle repeat
Clear

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #762 on: 13 Aug 2014, 06:40 am »
Hi Chris,

Do we have any progress on the remote acces feature we've discussed earlier?

Would be wonderful to be able to
 remotely reach the bdp to upload music or even play over the network. Or any of the other commands like maitenance

Thanks
Marius

MoPac

« Reply #763 on: 13 Aug 2014, 03:26 pm »
There is even a work around for this scenario, load the playlist, close the window, open the dashboard and you will still have basic playback functions

Hi Chris:
  Yes that works, but at that point why not just use MPAD.  The reason I needed to get back into the MM "Media Player" has to do with adding songs to an existing playlist in MPAD.  The first playlist was named "Jazz" with around 800 songs.  Tracks were then added to that playlist and it was saved using the same name "Jazz".  When I closed and reopened the "Jazz" playlist the new tracks did not take.
  The solution was to add the new songs then save the playlist using a different name; in this case "Jazz2".  Now it became necessary to delete the "Jazz" playlist which I could find no way to do from within MPAD.  So MM was used for the delete function.  The first time MM was used for this purpose it locked up cause the large playlist was not cleared from MPAD first.
  Maybe I'm doing something wrong in MPAD when building playlists.  Perhaps there is a way to add songs more easily.  If anyone knows that info would be very helpful as I will be relying heavily on playlist creation.

Thanks
Rich

Hey Chris
 Would it be possible to add a button to the "Virtual Font Panel" to turn on and off the display?  Maybe even dim control as well. 8)

CraigS720

« Reply #764 on: 15 Aug 2014, 12:28 am »
I have a strange problem. When I attempt to save a playlist, I give it a name and no matter what I title it, it saves it with the name "radio". When I try to make a second playlist with a different name, it still calls it "radio" and erases the first playlist. How do I fix that :-)

I am running Firmware S2.05 2014-07-25

Thanks.

Craig

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #765 on: 15 Aug 2014, 12:53 am »
I have a strange problem. When I attempt to save a playlist, I give it a name and no matter what I title it, it saves it with the name "radio". When I try to make a second playlist with a different name, it still calls it "radio" and erases the first playlist. How do I fix that :-)

I am running Firmware S2.05 2014-07-25

Thanks.

Craig

Hi Craig,

Your going to have to wait for the next software update, it was suppose to be release this week; but I got taken off software development late last week to focus on the BOT.  Good news is as of this afternoon I'll be waiting for everything to be delivered by our Canadian manufacturers to be assembled so I have the next week to work on manic moose uninterrupted.  This problem was already brought to our attention and was resolved the week before; however the firmware in its current state has some features that are still incomplete.

Cheers
Chris

Spritz57

« Reply #766 on: 15 Aug 2014, 01:31 pm »
Chris,
I see from other replies you've been busy.  I put my BDP in service mode and sent an e-mail.  How will I know when Bryston has visited my BDP?  There was a large update but that did not fix my issues.
Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for purchasing our equipment.

The BDP's firmware has the ability to allow us remote access to them, this feature is known as service mode (more information can be found on page 25 of the manic moose user guide).  It's likely that the tag to sort the data buy needs to be changed from artist to albumartist, found in the media player settings.  If this doesn't work you should place your BDP into service mode and email us the service id and will be able to better determine what's wrong.

http://bryston.com/PDF/Manuals/BDP-2_MM_Manual.pdf

crice[at]bryston[dot]com

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #767 on: 16 Aug 2014, 12:10 am »
Chris,
I see from other replies you've been busy.  I put my BDP in service mode and sent an e-mail.  How will I know when Bryston has visited my BDP?  There was a large update but that did not fix my issues.
Thanks

I haven't seen any bdp's in service mode running firmware older then S2.05 today, is the bdp still in service mode and did you leave the bdp on?

Cheers,
Chris

Samurai7595

« Reply #768 on: 16 Aug 2014, 01:16 pm »
James,

I haven't gotten a chance to go through this entire Topic section, so I'll just here...

Is Manic Moose still in Beta form or is it in its final release?

Also, can you point me to instructions on how to upgrade the firmware on a BDP-2?

Thanks,
Sam

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #769 on: 16 Aug 2014, 01:25 pm »
James,

I haven't gotten a chance to go through this entire Topic section, so I'll just here...

Is Manic Moose still in Beta form or is it in its final release?

Also, can you point me to instructions on how to upgrade the firmware on a BDP-2?

Thanks,
Sam

Hi Sam

It is being used in production currently but Chris is still adding a few features as we go and also getting feedback from our customers on other things they would like to see.

Depending on your version of software the upgrade path can be a little challenging but once you have the latest version of MM then things straight out.

The best option is to put your BDP in SERVICE MODE and email Chris the service number showing on the BDP display then he can remotely connect and update your unit for you.

james

Samurai7595

« Reply #770 on: 16 Aug 2014, 04:34 pm »
Hi Sam

It is being used in production currently but Chris is still adding a few features as we go and also getting feedback from our customers on other things they would like to see.

Depending on your version of software the upgrade path can be a little challenging but once you have the latest version of MM then things straight out.

The best option is to put your BDP in SERVICE MODE and email Chris the service number showing on the BDP display then he can remotely connect and update your unit for you.

james

OK thanks James!

Any idea when the final release of MM be available?

Spritz57

« Reply #771 on: 16 Aug 2014, 06:19 pm »
I haven't seen any bdp's in service mode running firmware older then S2.05 today, is the bdp still in service mode and did you leave the bdp on?

Cheers,
Chris

I left it on for two days after putting it in service mode and sent the email with the number.  Then it occurred to me how do I know when you've visited so I posted the question here.  Since the same issues are present, I'll put it in Service Mode on Monday and send another e-mail with the service number. 

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #772 on: 17 Aug 2014, 02:08 am »
I installed and then updated Manic Moose in my BDP-1 last night and it was nearly smooth as silk. 'Partitioning Stage 4' displayed until the display went blank. hence it was in an idle state. Cycling the power finished the initial build without any hint of quirkiness. I liked the old interface, but the new one is definitely better. So far, it operates like a proper release (rather than a beta), except that TV mode doesn't work too well on my laptop.

Gaustabl

« Reply #773 on: 17 Aug 2014, 06:22 am »
Hello.
i tried upgrading my bdp-1 today and got this message:
Downloading firmware filesystem
0 100% @1880
Downloading boot drivers
0 100% @2157
Downloading vmlinuz image
0 100% @2115
Running Filesystem Check: b501dbb5d56bb6261209449daf6e83c2 /lib/live/mount/medium/live/filesystem.new
: Filsystem Check Failed: md5 values different
Should Be:
Calculated: b501dbb5
You should try redownloading this version of the firmware and try again

have tried numerous times, and also rebooted the bdp-1

best regards Lars

Wim J

« Reply #774 on: 18 Aug 2014, 10:42 am »
I had no problems last night with the update. But I have not yet listened to any music, so I have no idea if everything works ok. But at least it loaded and installed correctly.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #775 on: 19 Aug 2014, 01:21 am »
I left it on for two days after putting it in service mode and sent the email with the number.  Then it occurred to me how do I know when you've visited so I posted the question here.  Since the same issues are present, I'll put it in Service Mode on Monday and send another e-mail with the service number.

Just check the system page found under settings, it should say S2.05 2014-07-11 or 25.

Also if your wondering what's been fixed, check out the readme file display'd on he firmware update page.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #776 on: 19 Aug 2014, 01:26 am »
Hello.
i tried upgrading my bdp-1 today and got this message:
0 100% @1880
Downloading boot drivers
0 100% @2157
0 100% @2115
Running Filesystem Check: b501dbb5d56bb6261209449daf6e83c2 /lib/live/mount/medium/live/filesystem.new
: Filsystem Check Failed: md5 values different
Should Be:
Calculated: b501dbb5
You should try redownloading this version of the firmware and try again

have tried numerous times, and also rebooted the bdp-1

best regards Lars

I suspect your running firmware prior to S2.05, likley S2.04.  You will need to place the BDP into service mode and email us the service id.  There are links in the readme file that appears just before you attempt an update.

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #777 on: 22 Aug 2014, 06:23 pm »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for another update!

Brought some issues to my setup though:
- flickering browser page while scrolling the albums list
- red highlighted entries that won't go away with clicking the +-sign both in the root and in the folders.

might be an Apple issue too, since one of the culprits is  _ds-store and again the .albumdb. Cant screenshot the ds-store, since Manic Moose refuses to show the end of page, and keeps flickering up the page, rendering it kind of useless really. sorry, but thats just like it is right now. Check this of .pdf, jpeg ea...

hope you can fix this .

made a shot of the .alubumdb fyi

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #778 on: 22 Aug 2014, 11:49 pm »
I am running the latest July firmware. Today, i saw there was an update, so I attempted it, without success.

It just hangs on that screen, though I can click any button and go elsewhere. I put it in service mode and emailed Chris the service id.

Here's the screen:

------------------
undefined% @undefined
Downloading boot drivers
100% @8

Micro Kernel Check Failed: md5 value missingMicro Kernel Check Failed: md5 value missing
------------------

- Garrett

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #779 on: 23 Aug 2014, 12:40 am »
Just to confirm, can you tell us what the build date is of your current firmware? You'll find it in settings/system/about from the manic moose dashboard.