Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #600 on: 21 Jun 2014, 05:28 pm »
Hi Chris

My bdp1 becomes unresponsive with the latest firmware after a longer period of inactivity, even with watchdog enabled.

Only a hard reset helps.

Cheers
Marius

I've noticed that with one of the four units I test with (BDP-1, 1 of 2).  Still not sure what's causing it.

Cheers
Chris

ozzy

« Reply #601 on: 21 Jun 2014, 11:05 pm »
While using my 10" Samsung tablet (Android 4.2.2 )scrolling through my 1 TB hardrive the scrolling function to find an artist takes a very long time and is quite jumpy.
However, on my Laptop everything works better. Is there anything I can do? I would really like to use my Tablet to control the BDP2.
Do I need to replace my tablet? And if so what features should I seek?

Marius

« Reply #602 on: 22 Jun 2014, 01:39 pm »
HI Chris,

nice to have Bradio back.

do you plan to have a searchbox in the next couple of iterations? Still looking for Avro.....
a resolution search box would be nice too.

hovering the column title changes the mouse pointer into a small hand, suggesting order preference per that header, but clicking does nothing?

Thanks,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #603 on: 22 Jun 2014, 06:51 pm »
While using my 10" Samsung tablet (Android 4.2.2 )scrolling through my 1 TB hardrive the scrolling function to find an artist takes a very long time and is quite jumpy.
However, on my Laptop everything works better. Is there anything I can do? I would really like to use my Tablet to control the BDP2.

I use the latest IPAD and Mini IPAD running MPOD and MPAD apps with good success. :thumb:  Also use the Itouch as a back up with MPOD as well as the new Manic Moose.

james

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #604 on: 23 Jun 2014, 01:19 pm »
Are you saying the scrolling feature breaks with just bRadio or both bRadio and playback of local files?

BRadio was intended that way

Cheers
Chris
It doesn't break with local files. But if I stream other radio stations I've saved as playlists, their titles scroll. My personal preference would be that the Marquee function apply to radio and local files. But that's just me.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #605 on: 24 Jun 2014, 01:34 am »

A desktop or laptop is more likley to have many more resources available to it then a tablet of similar age.  A faster tablet could help, or you could try one of the many android apps available in the play store.  Try different features in the web interface, search, using the default views ability to jump from beginning letter.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #606 on: 24 Jun 2014, 01:39 am »
HI Chris,

nice to have Bradio back.

do you plan to have a searchbox in the next couple of iterations? Still looking for Avro.....
a resolution search box would be nice too.

hovering the column title changes the mouse pointer into a small hand, suggesting order preference per that header, but clicking does nothing?

Thanks,
Marius

All excelent suggestions, the resolution menu is the next thing to go in, then selecting favourites that show up by default, I'll see if a search is possible and I might be able to do something with the me u's to change the order.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #607 on: 24 Jun 2014, 01:41 am »
I use the latest IPAD and Mini IPAD running MPOD and MPAD apps with good success. :thumb:  Also use the Itouch as a back up with MPOD as well as the new Manic Moose.

james

Keep in mind the number of songs you have will effect performance, I use a samsung galaxy tab 3 7" with my library of 8,000 songs and it work great.  Try and use it with a library of 40,000 and it would likley be much slower.

Cheers
Chris

lycia

« Reply #608 on: 24 Jun 2014, 03:39 am »
On turning on my BDP2  today and noticing that an upgrade  for Manic Moose was available I set the upgrade in motion.. A problem developed part way through and I was informed that the upgrade had failed and that I should redownload and try again. This  I endeavoured to do but was unsuccessful. I have done this four times. Two specimens of the reply are appended.
My drives have been disconnected.

Disconnecting from power and rebooting  does not rectify the situation.

Assistance would be appreciated.

“Downloading firmware filesystem
15% @0...............
Downloading boot drivers
1378k 100% @1477k
Downloading vmlinuz image
356k 100% @511k
Running Filesystem Check: ff5fd7da0a44599ece0e9fcbd5496918 /lib/live/mount/medium/live/filesystem.new
:ba2e48728cc79a299ec315b19a9846f2Filsyst em Check Failed: md5 values different
Should Be: ba2e48728cc79a299ec315b19a9846f2
Calculated: ff5fd7da0a44599ece0e9fcbd5496918
You should try redownloading this version of the firmware and try again”

19% @0...................
Downloading boot drivers
807k 100% @1065k
218k 100% @230k
Running Filesystem Check: 18d9015f762d6b084973f48b7c21573a /lib/live/mount/medium/live/filesystem.new
Calculated: 18d9015f762d6b084973f48b7c21573a

Camper

« Reply #609 on: 24 Jun 2014, 01:54 pm »
I have been using Manic Moose and I have just noticed that on the album art view the cover art will not display if there is a square parenthesis [ or ] in the title. (Image 1)  The album "Live at the BBC [disc 1]"has the square parenthesis and will not be displayed whereas disc 2 has a regular parenthesis and displays fine. It will also not change the previous cover art that was displayed previously (image 2) and when reloaded again it still won't display the cover art. (Image 3) because the song Dear Prudence has a square parenthesis in its title.  MPAD has no,problem displaying this symbol. 

Any thought?  I don't really want to have to change all of my metadata as I have over 19000 songs. 

Also is there anyway to have the album view list only albums and not all the individual artists.  On MPAD there is a setting to display " only artists with full albums" which cuts down on the number of artists listed.

Also Chris is it possible to display in the album view a group that has the word "the" in front of it not under the letter "t".  For example The Beatles should be listed under "b" instead of under the letter "t".

The buttons on TV mode on the ipad are not functional. "Dashboard and full screen". The app must be closed to get out of TV mode.  Also is there a way to advance to next song while in TV mode?

Overall I think there are some nice layout changes to Manic Moose.  Keep up the good work Chris.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #610 on: 24 Jun 2014, 01:54 pm »
On turning on my BDP2  today and noticing that an upgrade  for Manic Moose was available I set the upgrade in motion.. A problem developed part way through and I was informed that the upgrade had failed and that I should redownload and try again. This  I endeavoured to do but was unsuccessful. I have done this four times. Two specimens of the reply are appended.
My drives have been disconnected.

Disconnecting from power and rebooting  does not rectify the situation.

Assistance would be appreciated.

15% @0...............
Downloading boot drivers
1378k 100% @1477k
356k 100% @511k
Running Filesystem Check: ff5fd7da0a44599ece0e9fcbd5496918 /lib/live/mount/medium/live/filesystem.new
Calculated: ff5fd7da0a44599ece0e9fcbd5496918

19% @0...................
Downloading boot drivers
807k 100% @1065k
218k 100% @230k
Running Filesystem Check: 18d9015f762d6b084973f48b7c21573a /lib/live/mount/medium/live/filesystem.new
Calculated: 18d9015f762d6b084973f48b7c21573a

Judging by what you have posted it appears something is interrupting the download of the main file system (the first shows it downloading only 15% and the second 19%), how does your BDP connect to your home network?

Cheers,
Chris

lycia

« Reply #611 on: 24 Jun 2014, 10:20 pm »
Judging by what you have posted it appears something is interrupting the download of the main file system (the first shows it downloading only 15% and the second 19%), how does your BDP connect to your home network?

Cheers,
Chris

Hello Chris:

Thank you for your reply

At the eleventh attempt I succeeded in downloading the complete upgrade and everything seems to be working normally. I am mystified as to the problem..I have a fast cable internet and the connection to the BDP2 is wired (Cat 6) .I do not have problems with downloads. generallyAnd in the middle of this difficulty  I tested the Ethernet connection by plugging it into a HDTV and it performed flawlessly.

On the subject of bRadio, is it possible to add stations to the list.?  The AVRO (AVRO Baroque & AVRO Classical) stations seem to be missing .

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #612 on: 25 Jun 2014, 12:50 am »

Hello Chris:

Thank you for your reply

At the eleventh attempt I succeeded in downloading the complete upgrade and everything seems to be working normally. I am mystified as to the problem..I have a fast cable internet and the connection to the BDP2 is wired (Cat 6) .I do not have problems with downloads. generallyAnd in the middle of this difficulty  I tested the Ethernet connection by plugging it into a HDTV and it performed flawlessly.

On the subject of bRadio, is it possible to add stations to the list.?  The AVRO (AVRO Baroque & AVRO Classical) stations seem to be missing .

This is not the final implementation of bRadio, a sort of transitional version until we have our shiny new server online.

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #613 on: 25 Jun 2014, 06:55 am »
HI Chris,

any update on this issue? still happening, and needing to manually hard-reboot the bdp here. Software reboot not possible....

all in all, something seems to be amiss with the latest iteration. All Dashboard 'buttons' give the same Forbidden message. Not sure, but it feels as some kind of miscommunication between the browser (safari in this case) and the BDP.
Also, ive been able to hard-reboot and play tracks, but the frontpanel display stays blacked out, until i hit a button on the BR2, lighting it up. It says restarting........ And it certainly was not, it was playing music.

Thanks,
Marius

Hi Chris

My bdp1 becomes unresponsive with the latest firmware after a longer period of inactivity, even with watchdog enabled.

Only a hard reset helps.

Cheers
Marius
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2014, 07:14 pm by Marius »

yartle

« Reply #614 on: 25 Jun 2014, 10:16 am »
hmmm, am I missing something?  No update being shown on my BDP-2?  :scratch:

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #615 on: 25 Jun 2014, 09:50 pm »
HI Chris,

any update on this issue? still happening, and needing to manually hard-reboot the bdp here. Software reboot not possible....

all in all, something seems to be amiss with the latest iteration. All Dashboard 'buttons' give the same Forbidden message. Not sure, but it feels as some kind of miscommunication between the browser (safari in this case) and the BDP.
Also, ive been able to hard-reboot and play tracks, but the frontpanel display stays blacked out, until i hit a button on the BR2, lighting it up. It says restarting........ And it certainly was not, it was playing music.

Thanks,
Marius

Hi Marius,

I hadn't realized that was a problem, there are .htaccess files to protect certain php scripts, but they should all be in the mpd folder rather then the bryston folder.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #616 on: 25 Jun 2014, 09:51 pm »
hmmm, am I missing something?  No update being shown on my BDP-2?  :scratch:

Which firmware is your BDP currently running vs what version are you attempting to update to?

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #617 on: 25 Jun 2014, 09:52 pm »
HI Chris,

Thanks,
Marius

Your running the June 19 firmware?

ozzy

« Reply #618 on: 25 Jun 2014, 11:32 pm »
Chris,
Thanks for the reply. One of my External Hardrives does have about 40,000 songs.

ozzy

« Reply #619 on: 25 Jun 2014, 11:37 pm »
Chris,

But, the Loony Tune scrolled better than Manic Moose even with the 40,000 songs. Also, my Samsung Tablet seems to get pretty hot.