Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Marius

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #420 on: 28 Mar 2014, 09:48 am »

Hi Chris,

Have a look how mm displays on mobile and desktop at the same time.
I couldn't get lastfm to stick in desktop, only found out yesterday it has been working after all, and indeed , it is saved correctly according to mobile .

Where can we find this top 40?

Thanks,
Marius

Ritchief

« Reply #421 on: 28 Mar 2014, 07:32 pm »
Hi all,

A few questions regarding Manic Moose:

1. not all of my album covers are showing in album view - how do I rectify this ?
2. how do I add radio stations to the playlist ?
3. within Media, it appears that the mouse arrow needs to be at the top of the file selection and not in general box areas - can this be changed,

Thanks all...

Bavarian05

« Reply #422 on: 28 Mar 2014, 07:36 pm »
Hi Chris,

Do we have a realistic date expectation yet for final release?

Thanks,
Jason

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #423 on: 28 Mar 2014, 07:55 pm »

Hi Chris,

Have a look how mm displays on mobile and desktop at the same time.
I couldn't get lastfm to stick in desktop, only found out yesterday it has been working after all, and indeed , it is saved correctly according to mobile .

Where can we find this top 40?

Thanks,
Marius

Hi Marius,

While you playback audio files after you have turned the MPD stats program on and restarted the BDP.  The BDP will begins tracking what music file you play, this is logged into an sqlite3 database file stored on the user partition of the BDP's internal storage.  When ever you list the playlists in media player, the BDP will generate a playlist of your top40 songs based on that database file.

There is a bug however where the program MPD-stats.pl launches before MPD has started and then immediately crashes.  you can check to see if mpd-stats.pl is running by enter the command

ps aux | grep mpd-stats.pl

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #424 on: 28 Mar 2014, 08:00 pm »
Hi Chris,

Do we have a realistic date expectation yet for final release?

Thanks,
Jason

Hi Jason,

Some time this spring, we are going to start shipping BDP's with the new firmware early April.  At that point we are expecting atleast some problems as the firmware is used by more people.  Once things begin to smooth out on shipping units we will release an official stable upgrade from loony loon to manic moose.  People can upgrade early if they'd like, but we don't intend on presenting it to people as a stable upgrade until after a little while.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #425 on: 28 Mar 2014, 08:09 pm »
Hi all,

A few questions regarding Manic Moose:

1. not all of my album covers are showing in album view - how do I rectify this ?
2. how do I add radio stations to the playlist ?
3. within Media, it appears that the mouse arrow needs to be at the top of the file selection and not in general box areas - can this be changed,

Thanks all...

Hello,

We have yet to implement any method to directly select cover art to use; something is coming eventually.  I'm the mean time you can clear the .albums folder on your scratch drive and before building the album view again, enter settings (in media player) and you can prioritize 3 file names to use.

It's a little tricky because we also have a button for
Adding everything within the folder (the plus symbol) as well.  I can take another look it.

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #426 on: 29 Mar 2014, 10:28 am »
HI Chris,

i see a top40 in the playlist list, but clicking it does nothing.

your terminal command gives this:

with the 2 screendump i wanted to show that MM on desktop and Mobile have different result and feedback for  the same BDP status. Might have a look why this occurs, and correct?

btw, MM user feedback tends to be oriented on Pop/song oriented users. (top40, songs, etc etc) while many users, and i am one of them, have other libraries as well. Why not try to look for some terms that come close to those too? If you'd use the word track instead of song, it would come closer to the classical library of many a user. Add full album, instead of add all songs,  while the majority of these recordings is not song oriented at all

etc etc.. just a thought, no big deal, would be great  :thumb:

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

While you playback audio files after you have turned the MPD stats program on and restarted the BDP.  The BDP will begins tracking what music file you play, this is logged into an sqlite3 database file stored on the user partition of the BDP's internal storage.  When ever you list the playlists in media player, the BDP will generate a playlist of your top40 songs based on that database file.

There is a bug however where the program MPD-stats.pl launches before MPD has started and then immediately crashes.  you can check to see if mpd-stats.pl is running by enter the command

ps aux | grep mpd-stats.pl

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #427 on: 29 Mar 2014, 06:34 pm »
HI Chris,

talked about .pls playlists before, is there any reason why the BDP won't play BBC Radio 3 http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r3_aaclca.pls ?

Ive edited an .m3u file with this content, but it won't play.

BBC 3 is one of my favourites, so it would be great if the BDP would stream it...

Marius

Marius

« Reply #428 on: 29 Mar 2014, 06:39 pm »
Chris,

Is there a way to have the BDP use a VPN connection, to be able to play streams only available in certain regions? Can we edit the network settings in this way somehow?

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #429 on: 29 Mar 2014, 07:24 pm »
HI Chris,

i see a top40 in the playlist list, but clicking it does nothing.

your terminal command gives this:

with the 2 screendump i wanted to show that MM on desktop and Mobile have different result and feedback for  the same BDP status. Might have a look why this occurs, and correct?

btw, MM user feedback tends to be oriented on Pop/song oriented users. (top40, songs, etc etc) while many users, and i am one of them, have other libraries as well. Why not try to look for some terms that come close to those too? If you'd use the word track instead of song, it would come closer to the classical library of many a user. Add full album, instead of add all songs,  while the majority of these recordings is not song oriented at all

etc etc.. just a thought, no big deal, would be great  :thumb:

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

If mpd-stats.pl was running it show a line containing "/3rd/mpd-stats/mpd-stats.pl", it appears your experiencing an issue that we are aware of; I just havn't decided how I'd like to handle te fix.

I only see one screen shot and am not sure what the inconsistency is?

I'll take a look at the bbc3 radio station playlist when I get back from Montreal show.

I've used a neat proxy service that just requires changing the DNS server to one hosted by the proxy provider.  It should be easy enough to allow users to change this, I'll see about adding an option to specify DNS server in the network interface page.

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #430 on: 29 Mar 2014, 10:40 pm »
Great,

have a good show in Montreal. Looking forward to your fix and change of the DNS option.

the screenshot was not an inconsistency, only an example of the 'Song' oriented interface.

o wait, i now realise you're replying to several posts...

the inconsistency in the post before is clear:

it shows
mod 18.6 vs 17.5,
enable mpd watch and mpd stats, vs none selected,
last.fm is still on bryston, vs the other with  my login displayed correctly . All at the same time connected to the BDP.

they both are right and wrong on some.....

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

If mpd-stats.pl was running it show a line containing "/3rd/mpd-stats/mpd-stats.pl", it appears your experiencing an issue that we are aware of; I just havn't decided how I'd like to handle te fix.

I only see one screen shot and am not sure what the inconsistency is?

I'll take a look at the bbc3 radio station playlist when I get back from Montreal show.

I've used a neat proxy service that just requires changing the DNS server to one hosted by the proxy provider.  It should be easy enough to allow users to change this, I'll see about adding an option to specify DNS server in the network interface page.

Cheers
Chris

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #431 on: 5 Apr 2014, 02:29 am »
Hi Chris,

I used the 3/14 build at the Austin Audio Fest last weekend, and people loved it. It was a real treat to just hand people my IPad and see how quickly people could make the system sing!

I noticed that the webUI, MPDroid, and mPad all respect my .mpdignore rules on the drive, but the front panel controls do not. Any idea why this is?

Best regards,
Gary

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #432 on: 8 Apr 2014, 04:11 pm »
Hi Chris,

A small observation: The main page lists the "BDP at nominal operation". I think you mean "normal". Otherwise, it's operating in name only - a sick joke to those having trouble with theirs  :lol:

scottsol

« Reply #433 on: 8 Apr 2014, 05:00 pm »
Gary,

You are correct about "nominal", except that NASA has used "nominal" instead of "normal" since the 60's. If you are willing to state that Bryston products do not stand up to the reqjurements of "Space Age" designs than you can complain about the "misuse" of nominal.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #434 on: 9 Apr 2014, 01:06 am »
Gary,

You are correct about "nominal", except that NASA has used "nominal" instead of "normal" since the 60's. If you are willing to state that Bryston products do not stand up to the reqjurements of "Space Age" designs than you can complain about the "misuse" of nominal.

These are the voyages of the USS Manic Moose, to explore strange new genres, to seek out new artists and albums, To go where no digital player has gone before

I felt nominal would infer it doesn't get any better then this

:icon_lol:

Cheers
Chris

scottsol

« Reply #435 on: 9 Apr 2014, 02:43 am »
Hey Chris,

While I have no problem with you're use of nominal, I do have to call you out on using "infer" when the correct usage is "imply". Perhaps the ability to write code impairs the speech centers of the brain.

Cheers,

The Wrath of God

Marius

« Reply #436 on: 11 Apr 2014, 12:29 pm »
Hi Chris,

will the latest build of firmware support the Apple USB Superdrive also? http://store.apple.com/nl/product/MD564ZM/A/apple-usb-superdrive?fnode=79

if so, on the bdp1 too?

Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #437 on: 11 Apr 2014, 01:51 pm »
Hi Marius,

After reading blogs like this one

http://www.niftytechblog.com/2013/01/15/apple-usb-superdrive-a-cautionary-tale/

I'm guessing not, not because we made it that, but because apple did

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #438 on: 11 Apr 2014, 02:24 pm »
 I know it has it's compatibility issues ;-)
edit

the superdrive is much more compatible with this small adjustment http://hints.macworld.com/comment.php?mode=view&cid=126979, and working just fine on my 'old' MacbookPro. Maybe some smart scripting can do the trick on the BDP1/2 too?

If not, is there a drive you'd advice us bdp1 users to try , thinking modern compatibility issues for having this drive hooked up to other pcs/macs to be able to read BD's?

Thanks!
Marius
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2014, 07:48 pm by Marius »

EJS73

« Reply #439 on: 12 Apr 2014, 10:02 am »
Hello, it's been a while since I checked this thread... can anybody confirm that the new software provides more robust handling of USB memory sticks? Under 1.74 and earlier, swapping memory sticks occasionally prevents the BDP2 from reading the new drive, requiring a reboot. Also, if I attach a thumb drive too quickly after starting up, the front panel often registers single presses as double presses *) and I've seen playlists being looped while I specifically never switched on that option.

*) never happens if I attach the drive some 5-6 seconds after boot has completed (which I understand is the moment the pause sign changes to the stop sign on the panel

Cheers,

EJ