Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #340 on: 2 Mar 2014, 10:51 pm »
latest build won't find any media at all anymore in default view......!

refeshed cache, rebooted bdp, did it all, no succes  ;-(( back to Bonobo and Black WeeN satan in Album view again.

Marius,

How do we not know that you love our drop in picture so much that you set it as the cover art for all your albums.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #341 on: 2 Mar 2014, 10:58 pm »
Hi James,

I've found it finally after unplugging the bdp. (Last firmware upgrade made it unresponsive )

Before, I just added the .mru files in a certain folder in the Bdp root, only forgot which one ..
Since I used them as presets for my internet radio stations, sure hope Chris will chime in soon and disclose where these .mru files need to be stored . Especially now bradio isn't working and might not be working soon again.

Cheers Marius

Hi Marius,

Playlist files should go in /mnt/img/playlists, I think the extension may need to be changes to pls from mru

Cheers
Chris

werd

« Reply #342 on: 3 Mar 2014, 12:17 am »
Can we hurry up and get this done. I'm stuck in a playlist and can't get out. :nono:
 :lol:

Marius

« Reply #343 on: 3 Mar 2014, 07:17 am »
Thanks!

only thing is i m not allowed to view, nor write to it

seems one has to be logged into the drive. Can you provide the ssh command to make the mnt/img/playlists folder, so i can copy my old playlists here please?

and, before they were .m3u files that still correct?

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

Playlist files should go in /mnt/img/playlists, I think the extension may need to be changes to pls from mru

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #344 on: 3 Mar 2014, 07:19 am »
Hi Chris,

Ive enabled the setting for showing file resolution, but don't see whether its 16 or 24 bit. You have another option somewhere for that hidden in the interface?

Marius

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #345 on: 3 Mar 2014, 07:23 am »
Thanks to everyone, Chris, Bryston, and everyone who participates in this beta testing. I've programmed before and I understand how valuable it is to get beta feedback. I also have beta tested as a user, and I know how frustrating that can be. So thanks to all of you for taking your time to help make this firmware release the best it can be.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #346 on: 4 Mar 2014, 02:11 am »
HI Chris,

Although latest build is making Shares and individual folders on these shares easier. possible, lots of issues arise....

to select network-folders as bdp browsable music libraries, i find the options and settings it requires very daunting, unnecessary technical,  and, to be honest, very uncomfortable. And frustratingly trial and error. Having to select Windows or Apple network in advance, subfolders are displaying or not. One has to select out of the very many displayed shares, all with the same name but different ip numbers... Selecting a subfolder works, ...or not, showing only the up and down arrow.

Why don't you just implement a browser, with which the user browses to and selects a folder to share (like in the Audio Circle when selecting an image to display in the posts...), apply login and password if required, and click Share. All other technical stuff could/should be left out preferably.

Please have a look?

cheers,
Marius

Hi marius,

Your points are valid; I think some of the confusion comes with a lack explanation and the fact that it isn't totally done yet.  The AFP ability is limited in comparison to samba and this isn't addressed in the wizard yet.  Making a browser like the one you recommended would be rather complicated. 

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #347 on: 4 Mar 2014, 02:13 am »
Thanks!

only thing is i m not allowed to view, nor write to it

seems one has to be logged into the drive. Can you provide the ssh command to make the mnt/img/playlists folder, so i can copy my old playlists here please?

and, before they were .m3u files that still correct?

Cheers,
Marius

I'll have to change some permissions, in the mean time log in using the user name root rather then bryston, the password is also bryston.  Or ssh into the BDP and enter the command

chown -R bryston /mnt

Yes, m3u, I thought you said something different earlier.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #348 on: 4 Mar 2014, 02:18 am »
Hi Chris,

Ive enabled the setting for showing file resolution, but don't see whether its 16 or 24 bit. You have another option somewhere for that hidden in the interface?

Marius

Hi Marius,

I could have sworn I was showing that information, keep in mind it only gathers that information for certain file types.  Flac works I know for sure and mp3 doesn't; I don't know about other formats.

Cheers
Chris

Marius

« Reply #349 on: 4 Mar 2014, 06:39 am »
nope, cant see it:

no 24 bit displayed. It's a 24b 44.1 flac file. Resolution confirmed in Audirvana +.

Please check how Audirvana displays album information, MM can adopt this?

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

I could have sworn I was showing that information, keep in mind it only gathers that information for certain file types.  Flac works I know for sure and mp3 doesn't; I don't know about other formats.

Cheers
Chris
« Last Edit: 4 Mar 2014, 08:20 am by Marius »

Marius

« Reply #350 on: 4 Mar 2014, 06:41 am »
Chris,

I always ssh in as root@bryston-bdp-1.local

and, in this case, to no avail, it doesn't change the permissions. Or should i reboot after that? As i am in developer mode, maybe i have to change that with a command in MM? Root is always displayed in Mac/Finder.

Marius

I'll have to change some permissions, in the mean time log in using the user name root rather then bryston, the password is also bryston.  Or ssh into the BDP and enter the command

chown -R bryston /mnt

Yes, m3u, I thought you said something different earlier.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #351 on: 4 Mar 2014, 05:54 pm »
nope, cant see it:

no 24 bit displayed. It's a 24b 44.1 flac file. Resolution confirmed in Audirvana +.

Please check how Audirvana displays album information, MM can adopt this?

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius

It is though, 44.1:24:2 that would be 44.1khz, 24bit, stereo; or do you mean for the currently playing song?

Cheers,
Chris

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #352 on: 4 Mar 2014, 06:05 pm »
It's visible when browsing the library, but I think Marius is saying it should be visible in the now playing window.

Marius

« Reply #353 on: 4 Mar 2014, 06:51 pm »
Hi Chris,

Yes i meant the main (central) display. I see now you have an indication to the right in the track list ... Missed that before , sorry.

I think the 2 pics clearly indicate the issues I experience here, concerning file names folders and tracks. Audirvana seems to get it exactly right, where the MM display misses out on details in all listings.

Hope you are inspired by them!

Cheers
Marius

Hi Marius

It is though, 44.1:24:2 that would be 44.1khz, 24bit, stereo; or do you mean for the currently playing song?

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #354 on: 4 Mar 2014, 11:05 pm »
great! playlists are functional, and my internet radio streams are playing  :thumb:

somehow the display still lacks some info-feedback, but, after a long time of absence, thats minor detail.

Chris, thanks!

If you'd give us the option of editing these manually like before, that would be really nice. And, create the option of entering a web address in the interface somehow, for creating new ones, without having to hack into the root....

Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #355 on: 5 Mar 2014, 02:14 am »
great! playlists are functional, and my internet radio streams are playing  :thumb:

somehow the display still lacks some info-feedback, but, after a long time of absence, thats minor detail.

Chris, thanks!

If you'd give us the option of editing these manually like before, that would be really nice. And, create the option of entering a web address in the interface somehow, for creating new ones, without having to hack into the root....

Marius

What would you guys say to taking a bit further and offering a page that allows you to send and receive data to and from MPD directly using the commands outlined in MPD's documentation?

http://www.musicpd.org/doc/protocol/

I don't think it would take long to create, we already have all the tools developed for the web interface; we would only need a telnet style web interface to issue the commands.

Cheers
Chris

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #356 on: 5 Mar 2014, 02:29 am »
Hi Chris,

So you mean basically implementing a command line UI? I think that would be fantastic.

-Gary

Marius

« Reply #357 on: 5 Mar 2014, 06:55 am »
Hi Chris,

not sure what you're aiming at, but never to stop possibilities of tweaking, so yes please investigate that.

That said, id opt for very simple and clean interface to add the internet streams. users that are not into computer programming do like their bdp as helpful as possible, and i fear that doesn't imply a command line interface in a linux kinda way.... were already to much on that in times.

besides, what would your command line option offer more than the option already built in with the scripts? And to what goal would we need it?

for internet radio, this is all we need....:

Marius

What would you guys say to taking a bit further and offering a page that allows you to send and receive data to and from MPD directly using the commands outlined in MPD's documentation?

http://www.musicpd.org/doc/protocol/

I don't think it would take long to create, we already have all the tools developed for the web interface; we would only need a telnet style web interface to issue the commands.

Cheers
Chris
« Last Edit: 5 Mar 2014, 03:19 pm by Marius »

Marius

« Reply #358 on: 6 Mar 2014, 02:15 pm »
HI Chris,

enjoying the internet radio streams again, thank you for enabling that!

some small quirks :

- the player info is incorrect and not updated adequately, and keeps coming back to Compadres by Paco de Lucia, a track ive played before.

- You see in the left panel what's playing, but the line is way too small to show it correctly, (but hovering shows it in a popup) didn't we have a button before to widen this view?
- the info window only shows a scrolling 'http" without any further address-info

- in the right panel an entry with _BBC3 is displayed. I can't seem to find anything in the folder that this could be. How to take that away? Ive updated the mpd but that didn't resolve it.
- only clicking the plus makes the list active, while clicking the name is expected behaviour... will you change that in a future version?

- lastly: in the info window this scrolling of the track being played is what some of us have asked for long since. Could you enable this in the main window too, when a track has a file name too long for the available screen real-estate ?
- if so, please have that on the main frontpanel of the BDP too.... now that would be really super!

Cheers!
Marius

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #359 on: 6 Mar 2014, 02:20 pm »
Hi Chris,

What's the eventual plan for the home page - specifically the box that says BDP initial setup.