Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Woofer

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #300 on: 24 Feb 2014, 12:35 am »
Hello Chris-

I know software development is rather "dynamic"... but would you be comfortable ball-parking a month or season even when the Moose might hit the wild?

Thx.

The other Chris

Marius

« Reply #301 on: 24 Feb 2014, 07:43 am »
latest firmware upgrade brought lockups again?

having to reboot after longer periodes of inactivity again, even with guard selected.
Could this be because of album art db rebuilding again now a (rather large) network share has been added?

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #302 on: 24 Feb 2014, 03:50 pm »
Is it locking up during building the database?  The database should only rebuild if you have added or removed songs from your database, if this is not working as it should please let me know and the circumstances that triggered the rebuild.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #303 on: 24 Feb 2014, 03:53 pm »
Hello Chris-

I know software development is rather "dynamic"... but would you be comfortable ball-parking a month or season even when the Moose might hit the wild?

Thx.

The other Chris

Its hard to say, our web designer had to take some time off for a few weeks and some of the settings pages are taking much longer to build then expected.  The network settings page took a few weeks to get it where it is now and still needs to be tested.  The upside from the delay though is we now have wireless capability by adding a USB wifi dongle.  The NAS setup page has also eaten up a few weeks of development, again for another new feature; the ability to connect to not just samba shares but also AFP shares.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #304 on: 24 Feb 2014, 04:16 pm »
HI Chris,

you've done it! share is working now, and a folder on the share is selected. Great!

was a bit awkward to get it to work though, but suddenly it worked. Havent tested playing the share yet, but this is a very fine beginning indeed.
Would it be possible to optionally list the shares without the underscores, maybe even without the drive it is located on? Seems a bit to computerish now showing the network drive ea in the user interface. For me, id just need the MP3 'cabinet', and i don't mind where it is now.

O, and w/could you make the passwords **** preferably?

cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

I prefer to show the password in plan text for a few reasons;

the first is if something goes wrong and its because of a typo in the password field then the end user can still see what he's entered. 

Secondly its only displayed for a few minutes while setting up the NAS, which should only need to be done once.  So unless your worried about someone looking over your shoulder might i recommend setting it up from your iPad in a corner of a room  :wink:

Cheers,
Chris

Gaustabl

« Reply #305 on: 25 Feb 2014, 03:21 pm »
Hello to all ypu beta testers.
I am about to try to install the beta, but has anyone tried using the beta from an android or iphone device.
I am using the mini interface in irule on a htc one, and are curious if the webif in manic moose will work...
Best regards
Lars

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #306 on: 25 Feb 2014, 04:07 pm »
Hi Lars,

The Beta firmware built in user interface doesn't work on my android phone but, my device is old enough to not support websockets in the native browser, and Chrome slows it down. My android tablet (equally old) runs chrome just fine, and the new user interface just fine as well. My ipad works beautifully.

In both cases, though, 3rd party apps work perfectly well. MPad on the ipad and mpdroid on the android phones have no problem working with the current beta.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #307 on: 26 Feb 2014, 01:50 am »
Hello to all ypu beta testers.
I am about to try to install the beta, but has anyone tried using the beta from an android or iphone device.
I am using the mini interface in irule on a htc one, and are curious if the webif in manic moose will work...
Best regards
Lars

Hi Lars,

The built in web browser on even the newest android phones/tablets don't support web sockets.  However we have tested google chrome on android 4.0 and 4.2 tablets and it works fairly well.  There is a drawing issue, but this seems to be an issue with android in general and the current fix is to pinch zoom in and out.  Also google chrome does a great job if you book am the web app to the home page, allowing you to utilize the entire display.

Cheers
Chris

Blueshirt1

« Reply #308 on: 26 Feb 2014, 10:20 am »
Am I the only one having issues accessing the files on dropbox that are listed in the "Re-Imaging BDP CF Card using Microsoft Windows" instructions?

I have to be honest, this whole thread is confusing and the instructions or lack thereof do not help much.  And I just stripped one of the torx, it just wont come out. I bought a new torx screwdriver just so I would not do that, but didn't matter. Sorry guys, but at this price the BDP should not be a DIY project

links does not work

1. Procede to take the 10 torx 8 440 screws holding the BDP's lid on
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/DOCS/Replacing_Flash_Memory_i
n_BDP1a.pdf

2. Download a copy of the image file from the link below and unzip it
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/bitImages/S173LoonyLoon.img.zi
p

Marius

« Reply #309 on: 26 Feb 2014, 01:12 pm »
Sorry for my late response.

I locked up, after upgrading to the latest firmware. It showed all feedback of adding files, creating them because they didn't exist etc etc, it reached 11% and then no progress was made. BDP locked up again. Had to reboot.
After that, album art was displayed. It seems very sluggish though, each page of 100 albums takes a while, and the more you go down the list, the longer it takes to be able to interact with it. Thats one of the reasons i asked for keeping the command buttons in view when scrolling album art. The possibility clicking these without having to scroll back is rather important, in the current state of the software, but i think later on too. Compare Itunes again..

So it was not a matter of updating the database, it was updating the firmware that triggered it.

Im not sure why, but albums are not always shown with their album art, most of the displayed default images shouldn't be there, since ive carefully placed a cover.jpg in most of them...

MArius

Is it locking up during building the database?  The database should only rebuild if you have added or removed songs from your database, if this is not working as it should please let me know and the circumstances that triggered the rebuild.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #310 on: 26 Feb 2014, 01:46 pm »
Am I the only one having issues accessing the files on dropbox that are listed in the "Re-Imaging BDP CF Card using Microsoft Windows" instructions?

I have to be honest, this whole thread is confusing and the instructions or lack thereof do not help much.  And I just stripped one of the torx, it just wont come out. I bought a new torx screwdriver just so I would not do that, but didn't matter. Sorry guys, but at this price the BDP should not be a DIY project

links does not work

1. Procede to take the 10 torx 8 440 screws holding the BDP's lid on
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/DOCS/Replacing_Flash_Memory_i
n_BDP1a.pdf

2. Download a copy of the image file from the link below and unzip it
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/bitImages/S173LoonyLoon.img.zi
p

Sorry to hear about the confusion, but the links are functioning

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/DOCS/Replacing_Flash_Memory_in_BDP1a.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/bitImages/S173LoonyLoon.img.zip

Cheers,
Chris

Blueshirt1

« Reply #311 on: 26 Feb 2014, 01:52 pm »
Thanks Chris, I was going off of the links in here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/DOCS/BDP%20image%20Windows.pdf   

So what should I do now? I cant get the top off. Will it update as normal one it is released to production? Or will I still have to take off the case.

Sorry for the rant but with all due respect the current interface is in need of improvement and was really looking forward to the new one. I went out and bought new Torx, flash card reader, flash card to no avail.

Cheers

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #312 on: 26 Feb 2014, 01:54 pm »
Sorry for my late response.

I locked up, after upgrading to the latest firmware. It showed all feedback of adding files, creating them because they didn't exist etc etc, it reached 11% and then no progress was made. BDP locked up again. Had to reboot.
After that, album art was displayed. It seems very sluggish though, each page of 100 albums takes a while, and the more you go down the list, the longer it takes to be able to interact with it. Thats one of the reasons i asked for keeping the command buttons in view when scrolling album art. The possibility clicking these without having to scroll back is rather important, in the current state of the software, but i think later on too. Compare Itunes again..

So it was not a matter of updating the database, it was updating the firmware that triggered it.

Im not sure why, but albums are not always shown with their album art, most of the displayed default images shouldn't be there, since ive carefully placed a cover.jpg in most of them...

MArius

Hi Marius,

It is our intention to have the "header" to be shown at all times.  The album view needs some reworking, i'm thinking more like the artist view but rather then a column of artists a list A-Z.  Kept in user definable chunks, 100 by default and then it could be set higher or lower.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #313 on: 26 Feb 2014, 02:02 pm »
Thanks Chris, I was going off of the links in here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/DOCS/BDP%20image%20Windows.pdf   

So what should I do now? I cant get the top off. Will it update as normal one it is released to production? Or will I still have to take off the case.

Sorry for the rant but with all due respect the current interface is in need of improvement and was really looking forward to the new one. I went out and bought new Torx, flash card reader, flash card to no avail.

Cheers

No worries, everyone needs to vent, even me sometimes  :wink:

Well you can send the unit back to us and we can remove the stripped screws for you, we'll even cover the return shipping under warranty. The other option is to go down to a local hardware store and grab a stripped screw removal kit, they aren't very expensive around $30 I think.  I would recommend getting the stripped screw taken care of, at this point I'm pretty confident that the firmware isn't going to brick your system but you may need to take the top off for other reasons; like if you want to go back to loony loon.

Cheers,
Chris

Blueshirt1

« Reply #314 on: 26 Feb 2014, 02:15 pm »
Thanks for understanding. I planned my whole day around it, pathetic I know. But am really looking forward to this release, it looks great.

You mean send it back and be without music? bite your tongue!!!

If I can figure out how to say "stripped screw removal kit" in French I will do that. But correct me if I am wrong, I won't need to do all of this once it is released to production right? It will update from the "BDP Home" screen without having to remove it?

Cheers

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #316 on: 26 Feb 2014, 04:06 pm »
In its current form there is no need to remove the CF card to update to manic moose.  You'll only need to take the cover off if you want to go back to loony loon or if the system requires servicing in some manor.  I haven't ran into any problems updating from Loony Loon to Manic Moose in the last 6 weeks so i am pretty confident that all or most of the issues have been addressed on that front.  If the upgrade does "brick" the unit then the only recourse is to reflash or replace the CF card, either way the top must come off.

Cheers,
Chris

Gaustabl

« Reply #317 on: 26 Feb 2014, 05:20 pm »
Hello.
Update went without any problem, so now i am testing. First impressions are pretty good, it does seem a bit slow though. It does not find all my albums, strange since mpod and mpad finds them with cover and everything.
I tested within irule remote on my htc one phone, and it worked there,

It wold be nice with a function to retreive information about album/artist playing like the info button on mpad.

Keep up the good work.
Best regards Lars

Blueshirt1

« Reply #318 on: 26 Feb 2014, 06:50 pm »
Ahh, don't know why I thought I had to do it by taking the CF card out. I will try via the firmware update. Fingers crossed.

Thanks Steve, that's exactly what I need....If I lived in America  ;)   Guess if it bricks I will make my way to the French Home Depot and try to explain it in my best Frenglish

cheers

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #319 on: 27 Feb 2014, 02:13 am »
Hello.
Update went without any problem, so now i am testing. First impressions are pretty good, it does seem a bit slow though. It does not find all my albums, strange since mpod and mpad finds them with cover and everything.
I tested within irule remote on my htc one phone, and it worked there,

It wold be nice with a function to retreive information about album/artist playing like the info button on mpad.

Keep up the good work.
Best regards Lars

Hi Lars,

Regarding the slowness you may want to check which version of MPD is being used.  There are three to choose from and the default version 0.16.7 (or 0.16.8 in newer releases) is rather slow and buggy.  Also the version downloaded in the initial upgrade is quite out dated, you should upgrade to 2014-02-25 if you havn't already.  Instructions are in the third link on the first post of this thread.  mPad and mPod have the ability to grab cover art from online resources, we have yet to reimplement our online implementation. 

Cheers,
Chris