Wrapping lower 5' of 4 walls in treatment, traps in corners

(W)KRP

I have a 12' x 15' room with an 8' ceiling and carpeted floor. The TV is on the 12' wall.

Instead of buying pieces of wall treatment and placing them at reflective points, why not wrap the lower 5' of my room's walls in treatment, fiberglass 2-3" deep, with acoustic fabric covering the fiberglass. I'd have square pillars of treatment as corner bass traps where the 4 walls meet, a 4-8" square pillar of fiberglass with acoustic fabric covering the fiberglass from ceiling to floor, and a diffuser on the wall directly behind the listening area.

Above the 5' of treatment I was thinking of having wrap-around glass-fronted cabinets that house 2 rows of Blu-ray SteelBooks. I'd add LED strip lighting and perhaps a mirror behind the SteelBooks.

Above that is more wall treatment leading up to horizontal square pillars of corner bass traps, where the walls meet the ceiling, going around the whole room. Or I could leave the upper walls bare, with just trapping where the walls meet the ceiling, or forget trapping above the SteelBook cabinets altogether.

The only stand-alone trap would be on the ceiling at the first reflection point, as wide as both tower speakers sit apart, absorbing reflections from my left-center-right speakers. The rest of the ceiling would be bare.

Some parts of the side walls will also be bare because I have a double sliding door closet and the room's entry door on one side wall (together they take up 1/2 the wall's width, but I could treat one of the closet doors and the room entry door), and a window on the other side wall (takes up 1/3 of the wall width and 1/2 the wall height). I'd may need a removable trap to cover the lower 1/3 of the window, up to the level of the 5' of wall trap encircling the room.

Please critique this setup.

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Re: Wrapping lower 5' of 4 walls in treatment, traps in corners
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2012, 04:16 pm »
Please critique this setup.

That mostly sounds good, though absorption on the side walls from two feet high and below is wasted. Better to make a band 3 or 4 feet high on the side walls, centered at ear height. As for pillar (square) bass traps, that's fine too, but not if they're only 4 to 8 inches on a side. Bass traps need to be large. Making them 2 feet on a side is good, and larger is even better.

--Ethan

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2012, 04:41 pm »
That is a common thing to do in the HT world.  The bottom 2' is not totally wasted though in terms of decay time decrease which is more desirable in the HT situation moreso than in a 2 channel room. 

I would resist the idea of glass cabinets running along the room surfaces. Glass and mirrors are just not a good thing to have much of in a listening space regardless of usage.

Bryan

(W)KRP

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2012, 06:16 pm »
Thanks guys!