Paranoid (Deluxe Edition) Vinyl

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
Paranoid (Deluxe Edition) Vinyl
« on: 6 Jul 2009, 06:49 pm »
Why does the following statement not make  me jump for joy when i am looking at a getting my hands on a virgin copy of one of my favorite albums of all times. Black sabbath and Paranoid and dark side of the moon where the first lp's i ever bought. Are the original analog tapes gone??

From sund stage direct

2 Virgin Vinyl LP Import - Sealed

2009 digitally remastered and expanded deluxe double vinyl LP pressing of the classic sophomore album from the Heavy Metal kingpins led by Ozzy Osbourne. Originally released in 1970, Paranoid still stands as an important milestone in the history of Hard Rock and Heavy Metal. This ultimate edition features a beautifully remastered version of the album on the first slab of wax plus an alternate version of the album including instrumental mixes, alternate recordings on the second slice of vinyl. Majestic Metal, indeed. Sanctuary.

robinje

Re: Paranoid (Deluxe Edition) Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2009, 07:14 pm »
GET IT!  This is one of my absolute favorite albums of all time. 

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2009, 07:21 pm »
Well, that would put the master tapes at approximately 39 years old. I'm betting their condition is less then steller. What I would hope for is that someone took their time and with great care, dumped the original master tape 2 track, high speed masters into the digital domain. Many of us that still have reel to reel tape know that they age, the oxide slowly comes off, the "magnetic" properties slowly fades away. I think there was no other way to preserve these treasures.

If it's any relief, I've bought the Pink Floyd "Echos" greatest hits 4 LP box set on 180 gram vinyl. It's all been digitally remastered. It sounds pretty good, considering some of the songs have Sid Barrett on them, which makes those tunes real old.

As far as DSOTM goes, I have 4 copies. The crown jewel of them is the one by MOFI and this copy has been played 3 times; there are no pops, ticks or anything offensive. I have the 30th aniversary copy too. the other 2 are original releases in various conditions.

I just bought David Gilmore's album (twice) "On an Island", it is fully digitally recorded and is also one fine sounding LP. I am not in the camp that says LPs have to be analog to be good. I believe and have examples that it just aint so.

Wayner :)

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2009, 07:32 pm »
I have the Led Zep 4 lp Box set of the song remains the same. and it great slab of vinyl It's been pretty much hit and miss with the remastering for the resurgence of vinyl. I will say one thing as popular as this lp will be the word will get out pretty quick on what kind of job was done on the remastering on this one

ED

From the track listing i could do with out the second lp Instrumental version  :dunno: i need my Ozzy :lol:
1. War Pigs
2. Paranoid
3. Planet Caravan
4. Iron Man
5. Electric Funeral
6. Hand Of Doom
7. Rat Salad
8. Fairies Wear Boots

Disc 2

1. War Pigs (Instrumental)
2. Paranoid (Alternate Lyrics)
3. Planet Caravan (Alternate Lyrics)
4. Iron Man (Instrumental)
5. Electric Funeral (Instrumental)
6. Hand Of Doom (Instrumental)
7. Rat Salad (Instrumental)
8. Fairies Wear Boots (Instrumental)

Stu Pitt

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul 2009, 08:48 pm »
I have some of the Sabbath re-releases on 180 gm vinyl (was it Simply Vinyl that re-issued them?) and they sound fantastic.  I also own the Black Box CD set, and they sound excellent too.

My understanding of their newer remastered stuff is that it was all overseen by the band and not just done by the record companies.  Earlier Sabbath re-masters and greatest hits stuff were done behind their backs.

I haven't heard the version you're referring to, but if its anything like the other new stuff, its definitely worth it.

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jul 2009, 10:56 pm »
Black Sabbath ran out of steam for me with around the time of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. all thought i've heard quite a bit of it over the years. Dio never did it for me, but then again either did Ozzy's solo stuff. Would love to think it's going to be great. Time will see

Berndt

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2009, 02:00 am »
I have the warner brothers 180g reissue of paranoid and it is a keeper. (R1 78976)
Sounds very nice, better sounding than some of the original sabbath I have.

kenreau

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jul 2009, 05:56 pm »
Why does the following statement not make  me jump for joy when i am looking at a getting my hands on a virgin copy of one of my favorite albums of all times. Black sabbath and Paranoid and dark side of the moon where the first lp's i ever bought. Are the original analog tapes gone??

From sund stage direct

2 Virgin Vinyl LP Import - Sealed

2009 digitally remastered and expanded deluxe double vinyl LP pressing of the classic sophomore album from the Heavy Metal kingpins led by Ozzy Osbourne. Originally released in 1970, Paranoid still stands as an important milestone in the history of Hard Rock and Heavy Metal. This ultimate edition features a beautifully remastered version of the album on the first slab of wax plus an alternate version of the album including instrumental mixes, alternate recordings on the second slice of vinyl. Majestic Metal, indeed. Sanctuary.

I hold out high hope for this vinyl remaster/reissue.  The new digital reissue of this album was given high marks in a recent ToneAudio review as the best in existance.  Has anyone actually bought this vinyl reissue?

Thx,
Kenreau

ricmon

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2009, 08:56 pm »
I don't know if you guy remember, but in the VMPS CES live demo thread Brian said that the DSD format sounded much better than red book.  DSD is how most of the digital remasters are made.  All in all if done right they produce really nice results.  99 percent of the remaster stuff I have has been done this way.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jul 2009, 02:17 am »
Black Sabbath ran out of steam for me with around the time of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. all thought i've heard quite a bit of it over the years. Dio never did it for me, but then again either did Ozzy's solo stuff. Would love to think it's going to be great. Time will see

I completely agree.  Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was their last masterpiece IMO.  I'm not a solo Ozzy fan.  I think the albums after Sabbath Bloody Sabbath were more Ozzy-esque than Sabbath, regardless of who wrote what.

I'm not a Dio fan or any other Sabbath line-up fan at all.  Not due to anything other than I don't like the music at all.

Depending on the day, my favorite Sabbath album is either their self titled one or Paranoid.

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 2009, 07:48 pm »
It tough when an artist moves on from what i thought i was going to get. Aerosmith did it to we with "draw the line" to me they just ran out of things to say and got boring. Rolling stones lost me after "It's Only Rock 'N Roll" bad company i droped off at Burning Sky. Who knows :duh:

I completely agree.  Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was their last masterpiece IMO.  I'm not a solo Ozzy fan.  I think the albums after Sabbath Bloody Sabbath were more Ozzy-esque than Sabbath, regardless of who wrote what.

I'm not a Dio fan or any other Sabbath line-up fan at all.  Not due to anything other than I don't like the music at all.

Depending on the day, my favorite Sabbath album is either their self titled one or Paranoid.