NOS ADC Astrions

Jeff K

NOS ADC Astrions
« on: 6 Feb 2015, 03:44 am »
This is just an FYI. I have no affiliation with KAB USA, but they have some NOS Astrions for $169. Seems like a heck of a deal for a ruby cantilevered cart.

From the KAB site:

SPECIFICATIONS
• Standard Mount
Stereo Phono Cartridge
•FR 8 - 26 Khz
•Output: 4.0mV
•Channel Balance : 2dB
•Tracking Force: 1.5 grams
•Stylus: Nude Hyper-Elliptical
•Cartridge Weight: 5.7 grams
•Tracking Ability 60µ @ 1.5 grams 
•Stylus: ASTRION
•Shipping Weight 2 Lbs

This is ADC's most sophisticated version of their very popular induced magnet design.

This design retains the warmth and full bodied mids and mid bass induced magnets are known for while achieving greater detail in the treble with improved inside groove tracing.

GREAT FEATURES   •Standard Mount
•Unique sapphire rod cantilever
•Nude Hyper Elliptical Tip
•Gold Plated Pins

Sapphire rod cantilevers are things that are touted today, but here is a mass produced cartridge that instilled those virtues in a much more affordable design.

This is a wonderful slice of history that would add value to any cartridge aficionado's collection.

I know a lot of you have a real interest in some of the older classic designs, so I thought I would share. (Hope it's not a repost of something I missed.)

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: NOS ADC Astrions
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2015, 11:30 am »
Jeff K,
Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  Lots of love for this cart - John The Chair Guy used an XLM (III improved I think) with an Astrion stylus.  It was one of his favorites.

I don't really know the difference in the various XLM's and Astrion motors.  I think many are the same.  This is a real bargain for a classic.

BTW, Kevin at KAB is a great guy to do business with.  I got my Stanton 980LZ from him and he was extremely helpful.  We had an interesting conversation and like this offering, it was a great deal.
neo

Jeff K

Re: NOS ADC Astrions
« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2015, 01:44 am »
I don't really know the difference in the various XLM's and Astrion motors.  I think many are the same.  This is a real bargain for a classic.

BTW, Kevin at KAB is a great guy to do business with.  I got my Stanton 980LZ from him and he was extremely helpful.  We had an interesting conversation and like this offering, it was a great deal.
neo

I was thinking it would have generated more interest here. I'd be a guinea pig and try one out myself, if it weren't for a pile of recent expenditures.

+1 on Kevin. Totally honest and never a hard sell.

P.S. Found this on VE. http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=4180