Turntables available in Australia??

Tonto Yoder

« on: 8 Sep 2003, 11:43 am »
Noticed a post on Audio Asylum bemoaning limited distribution of TT's --
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/messages/237544.html

Don't know whether he's describing the situation in general or just the particular tables he mentions??

JohnR

« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2003, 12:20 pm »
If Rod's around maybe he could comment. It might be fun to go down to the local high-end aka high-price store and see what they gots...

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2003, 01:30 pm »
Actually, I could complain about TT availability where I live as well (SW Florida USA). I auditioned two hours north of home and bought the TT I heard, but wasn't really able to compare several brands at one location.

There are a couple audio dealers in town but neither really supports analog.

Rocket

hi
« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2003, 09:45 am »
hi,

i've given up looking for turntables at the moment.  may'be down the track i'll look at buying a good quality turntable.  they are just so darn expensive in australia.

i did look at the rega 25 and nottingham horizon turntables.  the nottingham would probably be a little better, i think it sold for about $1700 au with a modified rb250 tonearm without cartridge.  i also looked at the origin kit turntables and think they would be fairly cost effective.  if you contact len wallis audio they can import an origin for you, which works out better than you buying direct and importing it.  the orbe had good reviews with tnt audio but the turntable is $1000 euro without a tonearm and would cost a lot to import.

i also thought about importing a music hall turntable but the shipping, taxes and custom fees add a fair bit to the cost.

regards

rod

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2003, 12:32 pm »
Rod,
Thanks for the info--it's always interesting to hear of the different situations in various countries/continents.

BTW, I checked out the Len Wallis site and found an amusing tidbit--the Rega TT with "timber edging"--
http://www.lenwallisaudio.com/products/details.php?pid=179

In the US, we use the word "timber"  in "timber framing"--- massive exposed  beams that hold the roof & walls up, so I often get an  image of TT's with these massive beams trimming the edges. I realize you're using the word where we would say "wood/wooden,"  but still the wrong image involuntarily comes to mind. :D

Malcolm Fear

« Reply #5 on: 9 Sep 2003, 11:33 pm »
I periodically pop into Cash Converters.
I picked up a Thorens 160 for $20 and a Dual 1214 for $9.
They are out there.

Andy G

The Pro-Ject range of TT's have a good reputation in Europe
« Reply #6 on: 13 Sep 2003, 07:02 am »
you could try contacting the Aust distributor at  mail@idynamics.com.au to find a reseller near you.
gee, sorry !!  i sound like an advertisment, I don't own one, or have shares  :roll:

Rocket

hi
« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2003, 11:26 am »
hi andy,

which project turntable do you recommend?

i can get a good deal at a local hifi shop which sells project.  i don't know much about the project though.

regards

rod

Andy G

sorry, can't help...
« Reply #8 on: 15 Sep 2003, 01:42 pm »
.. I know of them, not about them.  
A brochure is available, and if I remember correctly the price varies from some $399 upwards, ...........but don't quote me please !!

Tonto Yoder

Re: sorry, can't help...
« Reply #9 on: 15 Sep 2003, 02:31 pm »
Quote from: Andy G
.. I know of them, not about them.  
A brochure is available, and if I remember correctly the price varies from some $399 upwards, ...........but don't quote me please !!

:D