Jamon on the way!!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Jamon on the way!!
« on: 11 Apr 2023, 10:38 pm »
A buddy and I are splitting the cost of a decent jamon.  We've got a group coming out Memorial Day, and the porcine will be the centerpiece for the weekend.   :thumb:
Which Spanish wines do you guys like?

James Edward

Re: Jamon on the way!!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2023, 02:20 am »
Albarino. Martin Codax is one producer that is consistently good. Sounds like a great time.

ACHiPo

S Clark

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2023, 02:12 am »
https://www.foliowine.com/brand/tinto-pesquera/
I've always liked Pesquera, but they've gotten quite pricey.  I'm actually more fond of an adjacent property, Condado de Haza.  Owned by the same folks and made by the same winemaker at about 1/3 less.  25 years ago a wholesale rep was stocking my at favorite wine store and put me onto it.   There was no "premium" label so all the best grapes went into the Crianza pressing.   It was less than ten bucks... not anymore. And if you want the primo bottling???  $$$  :o
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2023, 05:55 pm by S Clark »

James Edward

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2023, 04:04 am »
Just curious- you both seem to be leaning toward red wine… I LOVE a good Spanish red, but prefer white with a dry cured ham. If you’re looking for an outstanding red, check out the La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva 904; great wine but I don’t know that it would pair well with ham.

S Clark

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2023, 05:55 pm »
Yep, I usually keep a bottle or 3 of the 904 on hand (whenever I can find a decent deal on them). 
We do lean toward reds because it's all my wife will drink.  I know my Spanish reds fairly well, but no nothing about the whites.  I've seen the Martin Codax around and will try to pick up a couple of bottles.  Any other whites you recommend??

James Edward

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2023, 12:03 am »
Not Spanish in keeping with the theme, but I’d bet an Alsatian Riesling would also fit the bill. Any major producer- Trimbach, Sparr, etc.
Truth be told, with this thread you’ve whetted my appetite to try some ham/wine combos. I certainly don’t have the friends and time for a whole piece, but I see options.
Glad you posted this.

S Clark

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2023, 02:45 am »
Amazon will be happy to sell you a couple of ounces... 

I did not need to know that.

James Edward

« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2023, 03:55 am »
Amazon will be happy to sell you a couple of ounces...  https://www.amazon.com/Fermin-Jamon-Iberico-2-Ounce/dp/B007LGE4QC/ref=sr_1_12?crid=2GF8PZ4Q2GKS3&keywords=jamon&qid=1681611837&sprefix=jamon%2Caps%2C238&sr=8-12
It’s all just too easy… It’ll be here Tuesday. I’m still a working stiff, so I won’t have it right away, but I know it has some shelf/refrigerator life.
I’ll probably get a bottle of Albarino and a Riesling from Alsace. I’ll post my findings here…

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #10 on: 17 Apr 2023, 02:05 pm »

S Clark

« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2023, 03:53 pm »
So sorry to be responding sooo late.  I've not tried the Amazon slices, but Fermin is a brand I know well.  I have a Fermin jamon hanging in my cellar waiting for guest next weekend.  Buying a whole ham, it runs probably $30/lb after removing skin, oxidized fat, and bone (and that's great sale price).   Some of the top of the line jamon runs well over $1k.  So it's pricey, but excellent.  The Amazon stuff at $10/ oz is fine for a quick sampling or serving with a small number of guest.  We'll have 9 staying for several days, so we'll eat maybe half of it. 
I'm also making a several tapas... tortilla, empanadas, chorizo and chickpeas... and a case of Cava and a case of Rioja.  One of the guest is cooking paella one night.  Should be good food for a group of close friends.   

James Edward

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jun 2023, 10:16 pm »
So how did everything go? I hope you all had a great time.

S Clark

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jun 2023, 06:47 pm »
Everyone had a great time.  I've still got some jamon left on the bones, in spots difficult to slice thinly.  I got to be pretty good at the easy spots, but there are professional jamon slicers for a reason.  I need to find some recipes for cooking with jamon cubes.
The group consumed about two cases of wine as well- but these guys are all old pros.  Not a single flamenco record got scratched.   :thumb:

ACHiPo

« Reply #14 on: 14 Jun 2023, 08:32 pm »
Everyone had a great time.  I've still got some jamon left on the bones, in spots difficult to slice thinly.  I got to be pretty good at the easy spots, but there are professional jamon slicers for a reason.  I need to find some recipes for cooking with jamon cubes.
Can you say "split pea soup"? :lol:

S Clark

« Reply #15 on: 14 Jun 2023, 08:54 pm »
Actually, I just trimmed it and fed the moldy spots to the dog.  I'm having late lunch slices with a glass of fino sherry. 
 :thumb:

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #16 on: 14 Jun 2023, 10:51 pm »
" The Amazon stuff at $10/ oz is fine for a quick sampling"

Thanks for the update! Forgot about this actually. Glad to hear your guests enjoyed the get together.