Coffee

Denton J

Re: Coffee
« Reply #200 on: 23 Jan 2024, 04:21 pm »
Looks like I have a lot of coffee to try.

Btw, the Water Ave Boxcar is pretty good.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #201 on: 23 Jan 2024, 10:27 pm »

nature boy

« Reply #202 on: 23 Jan 2024, 11:15 pm »
I get a monthly delivery of LaColombe Corsica (dark roast) beans for my morning brew. Great way to start the morning.

NB

syzygy

« Reply #203 on: 24 Jan 2024, 01:22 am »

One large latte each morning with the paper. My daughter buys me a monthly subscription of Blue Bottle espresso beans - highly recommended, also, my son brings Dark Matter beans from Chicago a few times a year.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #204 on: 24 Jan 2024, 01:25 am »
This is a local delivery or yous are paying shipping every month?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #205 on: 24 Jan 2024, 02:11 am »
This is a local delivery or yous are paying shipping every month?
I try to buy coffee a couple of times per year, ordering about 10-12 pounds at a set shipping rate.   I don't think green coffee is available anywhere in Texas.   

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #206 on: 24 Jan 2024, 02:24 am »
When I go for a walk in down town I buy 500gr at the grocery store, to avoid it get old, I noticed that after a month it loses flavor. Unfortunately there has been a lot of variation in taste quality lately.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #208 on: 24 Jan 2024, 06:36 pm »
When I go for a walk in down town I buy 500gr at the grocery store, to avoid it get old, I noticed that after a month it loses flavor. Unfortunately there has been a lot of variation in taste quality lately.
Green coffees don't age at the same rate as roasted coffees.  If I buy every 4-5 months I've noticed no issues.   Now, once roasted the flavors peak after about 3 days and fade past a couple of weeks. 

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #209 on: 24 Jan 2024, 07:40 pm »
Sharing my go-to for many years - custom roasted as orders are received.

https://www.storehousecoffee.com/

Presently digging the “Mexico Union Ramal Santa Cruz.”

Of course, the proprietor’s name is Joe  :thumb:

mick wolfe

« Reply #210 on: 25 Jan 2024, 12:11 am »
Green coffees don't age at the same rate as roasted coffees.  If I buy every 4-5 months I've noticed no issues.   Now, once roasted the flavors peak after about 3 days and fade past a couple of weeks.

That's why I took up roasting several years ago. Basically it allows me to control the "freshness" aspect. I will occasionally buy from a local roaster, but his roasting dates are noted on each bag.

mav52

« Reply #211 on: 9 Apr 2024, 02:08 pm »
Sharing my go-to for many years - custom roasted as orders are received.

https://www.storehousecoffee.com/

Presently digging the “Mexico Union Ramal Santa Cruz.”

Of course, the proprietor’s name is Joe  :thumb:

Just tried this Coffee, whole bean, Full city roast, really like it.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #212 on: 10 Apr 2024, 12:35 am »
Iam using the Cerrado Mineiro full bean, medium roast.
https://www.storehousecoffee.com/brazil-coffee.html
My previous favorite the Jumbo Beans was whole destined for export to Honduras and Jamaica by the farmers association due to the high price of commodities on the international market.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #213 on: 10 Apr 2024, 12:04 pm »
Is anyone wetting their roasted beans before grinding?  I saw an article on this, it reduces static electricity increasing the flavor of the brew.  Seems to work well for me.

VinceT

« Reply #214 on: 10 Apr 2024, 12:12 pm »
Is anyone wetting their roasted beans before grinding?  I saw an article on this, it reduces static electricity increasing the flavor of the brew.  Seems to work well for me.

That doesn't make a mess in the grinder?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #215 on: 10 Apr 2024, 12:26 pm »
That doesn't make a mess in the grinder?

Not if you control the amount of water.  I wet them in a wire mesh colander then shake out excess water getting to the point where it's more like added moisture.  All grinders are different of course, I use a huge KitchenAid that's very easy to clean.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #216 on: 10 Apr 2024, 03:55 pm »
Not if you control the amount of water.  I wet them in a wire mesh colander then shake out excess water getting to the point where it's more like added moisture.  All grinders are different of course, I use a huge KitchenAid that's very easy to clean.

Water gets rid of static charge and makes for a better grind and less mess. Try a ~10 mL bottle with atomizer, same as you'd use for perfume. I use about a spray per 10g of beans.

Would be nice if you could do the same for audio, unfortunately the electrons don't seem to like it.  :green:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #217 on: 10 Apr 2024, 04:32 pm »
It dirt my grinder in the burr gears.

rbbert

« Reply #218 on: 11 Apr 2024, 12:50 pm »
+1 on water on the beans in the grinder (Encore)  About 0.02 ml per gram of beans.  Less static, perhaps slightly better taste.

twitch54

« Reply #219 on: 11 Apr 2024, 02:45 pm »

after switching to an OXO burr grinder some time back with it's stainless steel catcher vs the plastic of my previous grinder static is 99% gone. For the most part we grind nothing but Sumatra.