New Model.... (Sirius) Poseidon

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: New Model.... (Sirius) Poseidon
« Reply #40 on: 2 Mar 2015, 07:50 am »
Lou,

I got a big boost to my 'audio education' this afternoon. Alan (and Sue) brought his Pans over to my house for a few hours of listening to different speakers and preamps. I have a pair of Harbeth 30.1s this weekend for evaluation. These sound 'well mannered', cozy, and warm. After a good hour of the 30.1s, we placed the Pans on the stands.

Within 10 seconds of the Pans' playing, I knew they were better than the 30.1s. Just like that! Wow.

All three of us expressed it much the same, I think. With the Pans, we were in the venue. The band or the singer, etc. was on the stage to our front. I could 'see' the different members. There were other folks in the venue (hall, dance hall, lounge, etc.) all quietly enjoying the great music with us. WE WERE THERE!

I did not get that feeling with the Harbeth monitors. Oh, I'm not knocking them. They do make beautiful music, but I dont 'leave' my room when I close my eyes.

A big thank you to Alan for lugging the Pans over to my house today. An even bigger thank you to Sue for putting up with us. I guess I have just one complaint - Alan insisted on taking the Pans back to his home. WTH?

Lou,

Awesome speakers, sir!

Michael

dodgealum

« Reply #41 on: 2 Mar 2015, 04:49 pm »
Michael:

Thanks for sharing your experience comparing the Pans and the Harbeth 30.1s. I think there are a lot of people who will find this an interesting topic and would invite you (and your colleagues) to share some additional information when you are able. The Harbeth Monitor 30.1 is widely considered to be the BEST standmount monitor available--pretty much at any price--so the fact that you and your friends preferred the Pans speaks powerfully to the performance (not to mention value) of Lou's speakers. As some of you may know, I am a BIG fan of the Harbeth line, having owned Compact 7s for many years. In fact, I spent two years listening to a WIDE variety of speakers when I sought to replace my Compact 7s with a larger floorstanding design--I was moving my system into a larger space. Just about everything I heard--even speakers costing up to $20K--came up short of the sound I was getting with my Compact 7s, particularly with regard to accurate tonality and realism in the midrange. Finally, I discovered Lou and Daedalus and got what I was looking for--proper tonality and musicality coupled with superior dynamics, speed and the ability to transport you to the listening venue. I spent some time at the 2014 Capital Audio Fest going back and forth between the Harbeth room (Monitor 30.1s) and Lou's room with the Muse and felt these were also clearly superior. But of course these were different rooms, systems, etc. So to have a first hand comparison of the Pan and Monitor 30.1 in the same room and system is very valuable indeed--particularly for those are looking for a reasonably sized domestic monitor in this price range. Please, tell us more about what you discovered!

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #42 on: 2 Mar 2015, 04:53 pm »

thanks guys  :D

Michael, we can solve your problem, give me a call :)
lou

mresseguie

« Reply #43 on: 2 Mar 2015, 07:04 pm »
Hello, Dodgealum.

I hesitated to post what I did last night as I half-expected to be burned for heresy for my remarks. Yet, this is a (very) subjective world within which we audiophiles exist and each of us gets to have an opinion. I know there are instances where the equipment doesn't mesh correctly, or the amp is underpowered, or something is wrong, but I don't think these occurred yesterday. My amp is an Audio by Van Alstine 400R Fet Valve hybrid. It's got plenty of power for all the speakers we listened to yesterday (speakers: 30.1, Pans, ProAc Response D2, a 2-way DIY monitor {using SB Acoustics Satori drivers} designed by Jeff Bagby, and GR Research's LGK full range monitors). That's 3 two-ways, one three-way, and one FR. The preamps were my AVA T8 Tube preamp and Alan's Gill Alana tube preamp.

My living room is probably larger than most 30.1 owners would want, but it is the best sounding room in my house. Dimensions: 29' by 13' x 8.5'. The system was set up at the short wall. The 60lb four post speaker stands are 4' from the front wall; 6' apart. There is thick carpet in this room; no acoustic treatments. 

Before Alan came over, I'd had the 30.1s set up on my computer desk. [Yes, it's a large desk and it was very crowded with the speakers.] They sounded great in the near-field set up. No, I didn't try to place the pans on my desk.  :nono: Alan probably would have shot me had I tried.

I'm listening to various classical pieces now. The 30.1s sound fantastic. Of course, the Pans are 20 miles away. :scratch: [Edit] I changed the speakers' angle just a tad which seems to have improved the sound stage a bit. I'm playing piano music now at a slightly louder setting than I prefer. They do sound really good.

So....without comparing different speakers....just listening to the 30.1....they sound great. I still hear them in my room - not a venue. Could it be that they are not properly toed in? [We didn't bother to make micro adjustments on the Pans. They sounded fantastic from the get go.]

I don't have all the answers. I just know what I heard yesterday.

I've surrounded myself with fire extinguishers and bullet proof glass. I still prefer the Pans.  :peek:

Have a nice day.

Michael

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #44 on: 2 Mar 2015, 08:43 pm »
"  I've surrounded myself with fire extinguishers and bullet proof glass. I still prefer the Pans.  :peek:  "

don't worry Michael, many people for years have come to the same conclusion.  The Harbeths are great speakers, and the Daedalus have much in common with them, (that is a compliment to both I think).

Interesting that you have the Harbeth on your desk, I am considering a small 2 way 'bookshelf' that would be designed specifically for that purpose.  may be about 8"wide x 8-9" deep x 20-22" tall  solid hardwood of course. 

Any thoughts?

btw the Pan would have done well on your desk, they are designed for near field use as well as in typical room.

mresseguie

« Reply #45 on: 2 Mar 2015, 09:32 pm »
"Interesting that you have the Harbeth on your desk, I am considering a small 2 way 'bookshelf' that would be designed specifically for that purpose.  may be about 8"wide x 8-9" deep x 20-22" tall  solid hardwood of course. 

Any thoughts?

btw the Pan would have done well on your desk, they are designed for near field use as well as in typical room."

Lou,

If you manage to voice them close to the Pans, I'll buy your first pair! You're only ~4 1/2 hours away.  :wink:

Actually, the 30.1s are in my living room now, but it was a fun experiment to place them on my desk. I rotate my D2s, DIY Satoris, and the LGKs through the desktop every few weeks. I love it!

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #46 on: 2 Mar 2015, 11:05 pm »
I would also be interested in a bookshelf  speaker.  And if it had a matched woofer/bow i can think that would be a great set up.  As I look into the future it will well into my price point of having a spare bedroom setup for kc critical listening as I wont be able to build a real listening room. 

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #47 on: 22 Mar 2015, 04:16 pm »
A shot from the finish room yesterday. The new Poseidon next to an older Ulysses (back for upgrade and refinish). That is a pair of Athena in the foreground.

The baked maple pair ended up with some special treatment to the baffle, I'd call it the Art-Deco style :thumb: and as the finish builds it looks more like Koa. I built this pair for myself but I think I may have to bring this to the next show?

I was struck by the different visual impact of the two speakers (Ulysses/Poseidon), the compound angles of the Poseidon don't really come through in the photo but even though the Poseidon is larger it seems much more 'sleek' and proportioned.

Next week we load the first set and get a listen to the final product! :D

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #48 on: 22 Mar 2015, 08:14 pm »
Nice Lou

Is it top to bottom mttmww?

The same slight tweeter offset?

I really like the finish of the speakers in the middle

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #49 on: 22 Mar 2015, 08:29 pm »
Nice Lou

Is it top to bottom mttmww?

The same slight tweeter offset?

I really like the finish of the speakers in the middle

yes it is MTTMWW and the tweeters have the same offset as the Argos for a wide sweetspot and natural highs.

glad you like em :)

thanks,
lou

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #50 on: 22 Apr 2015, 05:38 pm »
I just looked at your website and noticed that there are pictures of the finished Poseidon V.2 :thumb: :thumb:

Drop Dead Killer Looking wood work and I can only assume the sound is to match :slap:
Wish I was going the Chicago.