USB to SPDiF Converters

WGH

Re: USB to SPDiF Converters
« Reply #20 on: 6 Feb 2019, 06:03 pm »
I use an excellent Kingrex USB converter (discontinued) but if it ever died I would try the WaveIO board ($112.65). The WaveIO is used in the high end DDDac kit
http://luckit.biz/

Some background on USB recievers: http://www.dddac.com/dddac1794_usb.html

"WaveIO card is a high performance USB-to-I2S bridge especially designed for asynchronous audio streaming between any computer equipped with an USB port and virtually any digital audio device or equipment compatible with I2S or SPDIF interfaces. Combined with a suitable music player program, this board will offer 32 bit-perfect playback at any rates from 44.1 kHz up to 384 kHz thanks to proprietary drivers which allow for ASIO, Kernel Streaming and WASAPI operation, bypassing the Windows mixer for sublime audio quality.

"Two high-precision oscillators source very accurate clock signals for driving bit-transparent operations whether it’s powered from USB port or using 5Vdc external PSU. The 4-layer PCB with dedicated power and ground planes along with six ultra-low noise linear voltage regulators and high quality capacitor networks maintain the whole system noise at minimum preserving the digital audio signals’ integrity for lowest jitter performance. I2S outputs are galvanically isolated using Giant Magneto-Resistive digital isolators (GMR) avoiding noise propagation to the receiver."

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #21 on: 8 Feb 2019, 03:08 am »
Well, I just placed an order for a Ciunas ISO-SPDIF - isolated USB to SPDIF converter - super-capacitor power with USB hub. I may not use the hub, but I decided it would be nice to have should the need arise.

It'll be delivered mid-March as per my request.

I still want to try the Schiit Eitr, and another one, but I haven't decided which.

Thanks for all the suggestions!  :thumb:  :notworthy:

P.S. I will be in Laos for two weeks beginning Sunday, so I may not respond for a while.

Michael

yates7592

« Reply #22 on: 18 Feb 2019, 12:33 pm »
Abbas Audio (Ukraine) makes some very well respected USB to SPIDF converters, along similar lines to SW1X in that they are tubed output and with tubed clock. Reviews suggest they are very musical and analogue-sounding. There are at least 2 levels from $380 to $850, I'm awaiting mine as we speak but can chime in when I get the chance to listen.

mresseguie

« Reply #23 on: 18 Feb 2019, 01:29 pm »
Thank you for mentioning Abbas Audio. I didn’t know it existed.

While I’m traveling, I’m limited to my iPhone. The Abbas Audio website’s English page supplies nothing for explanation. Does the situation improve on a laptop or do I need to take a crash course in Ukrainian?

yates7592

« Reply #24 on: 18 Feb 2019, 01:58 pm »
Ha ha yes, if you use Google Chrome on a PC that will be best. The Abbas forum is the best place for info and reviews rather than the website, I can post a link later when I'm back home if you cant find it.

mresseguie

« Reply #25 on: 18 Feb 2019, 02:31 pm »
Good to know. My wife and I are in Laos until 2/24. I’ll check soon after that.

OrangeCrush

« Reply #26 on: 19 Feb 2019, 05:38 am »
SW1X USB to Spdif convertors are based on Abbas Audios boards and tech. They work together. 

mresseguie

« Reply #27 on: 19 Feb 2019, 07:21 am »
SW1X USB to Spdif convertors are based on Abbas Audios boards and tech. They work together.

Interesting!

Do you mean the people behind each brand work together to create gear, or that their gear is compatible? Is an Abbas DAC essentially the same as a SW1X DAC (assuming same chip and tubes)?

yates7592

« Reply #28 on: 19 Feb 2019, 08:28 am »
The Abbas and SW1X DAC's mostly use the same chip (1541), but as far as I can tell the similarity ends there.

lokie

« Reply #29 on: 19 Feb 2019, 04:53 pm »
Please post link  to Abba forum. Interesting kit.

Both are also using Germanium SS convertors... pretty unique schemes I'd say. I wouldn't be surprised if the two cos  are more connected.

mresseguie

« Reply #30 on: 19 Feb 2019, 05:13 pm »
I found the forum. There’s a tab for English. I haven’t begun reading the threads yet.  Let me know if you find anything interesting.

https://abbasaudio.listbb.ru/

Michael

OrangeCrush

« Reply #31 on: 19 Feb 2019, 11:09 pm »
The owners of the two companies are friends and colleagues. Some of the their devices are almost the same, same are very different.  The owner of Abbas is considered a genius and mentor for many Russian speaking audiophiles. He is also an accomplish classical musician of some stringed instrumental. Can’t remember which.

More and more I realize that low jitter is not the most important factor in audio. My ANK 4.1 LE with no oversampling, no digital filters, Triple C-Core Output Transformers and V-cap CuTFs and tube rectification blows any other high dollar hires Dac I had in my system.  Even my friends Lumin S1 can’t compete. The dynamics and life is just so incredible.  Everything else sounds either boring and flat, cold or irritating.

What crystal people use for clocks is meaningless as most will not even be close to spec. 

The only thing holding me back from buying an Abbas USB to Spdif convertors is I hate USB and so happy to get it out of my system.  The Ciunas has potential due to no regulators after the super caps.

Problem is it’s hard to get reliable feedback from anyone who has compared these SW1X and Abbas convertors to the more mainstream offerings. 

audioengr

« Reply #32 on: 20 Feb 2019, 12:02 am »
Low jitter is not the ONLY factor in digital audio, but it is right up at the top, particularly for transports, reclockers, USB converters and renderers.  The ONLY thing that matters with these is JITTER.  If you believe you have a device with really low jitter, I will be happy to measure this and post it here.  I think you will be surprised at the differences.  Certainly a low-jitter clock on the bench is much different than one in a circuit.  This is why implementation and circuit design are so important.  I have been designing high-speed digital hardware for 38 years, so I know what I'm talking about.

For DACs there are a lot of other issues like digital filtering, power delivery, I/V conversion and others.

For playback software there are issues as well, such as DSP distortion, inaccurate CODECs etc..

Steve N.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #33 on: 20 Feb 2019, 12:13 am »
You didn't mention in your original post why you don't want to use USB.  It can be well implemented, but potentially noisy for very high efficiency systems.

I currently use the original Sonore SSR (Rendu). Ethernet to s/pdif or i2s converter.  Sonore quickly discontinued it as everyone wanted Ethernet to USB (microRendu).

I had previously used the Hiface Evo.  It requires the battery option to sound it's best, but still doesn't compete with the SSR.

audioengr

« Reply #34 on: 20 Feb 2019, 12:17 am »
If you spend the money for the best regenerator, cables and USB converter, USB is world-class, provided you use a good playback app, like Amarra.  Beats Roon and Jriver. 

I have both Ethernet and USB.  Ethernet was the leader for a while, until I got the Wireworld Platinum USB cables and the SOtM regenerator.  Made all the difference and the USB pulled ahead of the Ethernet, for now.  I have done plenty of tweaking to my Ethernet too.  I have tried the AQVOX Switch and it is very good.  Need to try the SOtM Switch next.

Steve N.

Mike B.

« Reply #35 on: 20 Feb 2019, 12:46 am »
The one I use and like is from DIYHK. It is a finished unit in a gold anodized housing

OrangeCrush

« Reply #36 on: 20 Feb 2019, 02:11 am »
All these chips, receivers and yes, even clocks have sound signatures. For example, NDK SDAs sound very different from Crysteks.

I wonder if Steve’s Syncro Mesh would be a better choice for our Spdif DACs.  Just feed it with a cheap Allo Digione.

Steve, is the Syncro sensitive to what’s upstream?
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2019, 03:52 am by OrangeCrush »

mresseguie

« Reply #37 on: 20 Feb 2019, 05:42 am »
You didn't mention in your original post why you don't want to use USB.  It can be well implemented, but potentially noisy for very high efficiency systems.

I currently use the original Sonore SSR (Rendu). Ethernet to s/pdif or i2s converter.  Sonore quickly discontinued it as everyone wanted Ethernet to USB (microRendu).

I had previously used the Hiface Evo.  It requires the battery option to sound it's best, but still doesn't compete with the SSR.

Hi, Rusty.

The SW1X DAC is SPDiF input only. My Mac Mini and Other Apple computers are USB out. If I choose to use this DAC with my Apple computers, I must buy a converter. I considered abandoning my computers as source and replacing them with a new server/streamr, but decided to stick with my computers for a couple more years. I suspect the quality and selection of very high quality servers/streamers will only get better by then.

mresseguie

« Reply #38 on: 20 Feb 2019, 05:54 am »
I use an excellent Kingrex USB converter (discontinued) but if it ever died I would try the WaveIO board ($112.65). The WaveIO is used in the high end DDDac kit
http://luckit.biz/

Some background on USB recievers: http://www.dddac.com/dddac1794_usb.html

Wayne,

Thank you for posting this. I glanced at the converter offered at luckit.biz and have a couple questions.

Is any soldering required?
Can I just add a case, add appropriate PS, plug in wires/cables and begin using it?

WGH

« Reply #39 on: 20 Feb 2019, 05:00 pm »

Thank you for posting this. I glanced at the converter offered at luckit.biz and have a couple questions.

Is any soldering required?
Can I just add a case, add appropriate PS, plug in wires/cables and begin using it?

Looks like there would be minimal soldering, if any. I have seen a WaveIO in a plastic case for sale a while ago so I know it can be done.
Ken, a friend of mine, uses the WaveIO in his DDDac and would be the person who has all the answers. He is a good guy, drop him a line through his website:
http://www.jmaxwellusb.com/