Pavane 12AT7-T

tnewell

Re: Pavane 12AT7-T
« Reply #20 on: 7 Dec 2010, 04:56 am »
I have been using the Pavane 12AX7 in my Aesthetix Calypso Pre amp and they are outstanding!! :thumb: Dead quiet with a very balanced smooth tone.  These are by far the most quiet tubes I have heard in the Calypso, which is very sensitive to noisy tubes.

I tried the Gold Lion 12AX7 and found them to be noisy for my system.  They did sound very good with a warm bold tone.

I stocked up on a bunch of the Pavanes at the intoductory price.

I have a pair of slightly used Gold Lions if anyone is interested.

Tom

Pez

« Reply #21 on: 7 Dec 2010, 05:31 am »
 :icon_lol: I'd say that speaks volumes! "I have both, would you like to buy my GLs?"  :duh:  :icon_lol:

Gopher

« Reply #22 on: 8 Dec 2010, 01:31 am »
I'm getting curious as to how a pair of the 12au7s would do in my Minimax Preamplifier...   Perhaps its best I surpress this curiosity as I've got a nice NOS compliment with backup set in my tube box as is (1952 Raytheon 6X4, a Raytheon 5814A triple mica D getter in the middle with a RCA blackplate D getter 12au7 in the far right)...   

« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2010, 04:26 am by Gopher »

-Richard-

« Reply #23 on: 9 Dec 2010, 09:09 pm »
I have "technical" question: my re-designed (circuit) integrated 1950's Heathkit 151A amplifier uses 4 EL-84's in Triode/Push Pull configuration. The plate voltage of the EL 84's must be able to accept at least 400 Volts in continuous use.

Most new EL84's, such as the JJ's, can only take about 300 to 325 Voltage... which is unacceptable for my Heathkit... does anyone know how much Voltage the new Psvane/Reference Series EL84's are rated for?

Any help with this is most deeply appreciated.

And thank you Pez and Tom for your exciting information... most deeply appreciated.

With Warmest Regards  ~  -Richard-

-Richard-

« Reply #24 on: 11 Dec 2010, 04:28 am »
I can answer my own question, thanks to speaking with Ian and Rachel at Grant Fidelity.

The Psvane Reference Series EL-84-T's are rated for a plate voltage of 500 Volts. My modified Heathkit produces at least a 400 to 425 plate voltage in continuous operation, so these new tubes should work well... assuming they are stable (that they do not fail during operation or suddenly lose their original specs).

Warmest Regards ~ Richard

carusoracer

« Reply #25 on: 11 Dec 2010, 01:51 pm »
I'm getting curious as to how a pair of the 12au7s would do in my Minimax Preamplifier...   Perhaps its best I surpress this curiosity as I've got a nice NOS compliment with backup set in my tube box as is (1952 Raytheon 6X4, a Raytheon 5814A triple mica D getter in the middle with a RCA blackplate D getter 12au7 in the far right)...

I'm not sure of what level of mods your preamp has, but if Tom did them I'm familiar with the sound. I find the Minimax to be most beneficial to tube rolling in the rectifier position. If you like your 6x4 52' then most everything else will be noticeable but more subtle. I have a 55' Triple Mica, great tube, and I tried the Pavane in the far right position in mine. Very good, especially for the price. It was close compared to the scarce 10M Mullard.
I plan on ordering the 12AX7 version for my my Jolida. Nice balance all the way around.

chrisby

« Reply #26 on: 15 Dec 2010, 06:34 pm »
I have "technical" question: my re-designed (circuit) integrated 1950's Heathkit 151A amplifier uses 4 EL-84's in Triode/Push Pull configuration. The plate voltage of the EL 84's must be able to accept at least 400 Volts in continuous use.

Most new EL84's, such as the JJ's, can only take about 300 to 325 Voltage... which is unacceptable for my Heathkit... does anyone know how much Voltage the new Psvane/Reference Series EL84's are rated for?

Any help with this is most deeply appreciated.

And thank you Pez and Tom for your exciting information... most deeply appreciated.

With Warmest Regards  ~  -Richard-

Richard, I think you'll find that current product JJ EL84 can survive more than 325 on plates - at least they're a choice of many builders of George Anderson's Simple PP, which depending on choice of power TX and rectifier type can easily reach 400V.

If you want a little safety margin, you could always drop B+ a bit, either by rolling rectifier tubes, or adding choke after first filter cap (in my case Hammond 158S worked fine).   

FWIW, the first thread I could find on subject of modded AA151 (which you may have seen or participated in) shows between 360 - 370V, depending on rectifier type and PS filtering options.

http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=26019&sid=6e018b922d11aa4f5406f7ccd4bd0d3d

On one of my recycle / rebuilds of seriously problematic Scott LK48, I opted to replace the GZ34 with 5R4, (Cetron WGB potato masher)  and changed the input cap to 4mF, followed by dual choke filtered supplies for each channel.  It does take up a bit more space, but the results were well worth the effort. 

Gibalok

• Metrum Pavane/Manley Shrimp/4BSST2/Penaudio Cenya
« Reply #27 on: 7 Jun 2016, 07:55 am »
Gents, i have bought Manley Shrimp recently and im not satisfied a lot with stock tubes. I was demoing shrimp with upgraded tubes from my friend beforehand with Siemens (12at7) and Tung sol (7044) and it sounded more musical and liquid.

Im new to tube gear..

I would be thankfull if you give me some advise for which tubes/brands should i try to catch.. Im a bit lost in all this information: NOs, mullard, 60s.. Telefunken, PSvane...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #28 on: 7 Jun 2016, 09:43 am »
Try buy military tubes if possible.

Gibalok

« Reply #29 on: 7 Jun 2016, 09:52 am »
Try buy military tubes if possible.

Which ones? Brands? Production year..?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #30 on: 7 Jun 2016, 10:22 am »
Which ones? Brands? Production year..?
12AT7WA (war) they are all NOS.

Escott1377

« Reply #31 on: 7 Jun 2016, 10:41 am »
Gents, i have bought Manley Shrimp recently and im not satisfied a lot with stock tubes. I was demoing shrimp with upgraded tubes from my friend beforehand with Siemens (12at7) and Tung sol (7044) and it sounded more musical and liquid.

Im new to tube gear..

I would be thankfull if you give me some advise for which tubes/brands should i try to catch.. Im a bit lost in all this information: NOs, mullard, 60s.. Telefunken, PSvane...

I owned a Shrimp for about 10 years - just sold it earlier this year.  I rolled so many tubes in it that I never bothered to screw the cage back on.

The 7044 are in the driver stage and really have no effect on the sound.  I tried NOS 5687's and 7044's - regardless of price, the GE tubes from Manley are the best.  The NOS versions were always very microphonic.

For the 12AT7 variant, my favorite choice was NOS 6829.  I stockpiled a bunch of these from Ebay and let them go w/ I sold the pre.  The NOS Mullard is also a great choice, but I always found myself going back to the 6829.  GE and Raytheon were my 2 favorite choices.

There is also a computer grade variant from the 70's that is an equivalent as well.  I owned Phillips and Amperex of these versions.  They sound great as well. 

Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions about a particular tube.  I never used the NOS Tele's b/c I ran a quad of the 6922 equivalent in my Manley Chinook.

Otherwise, I probably ran it thru that pre amp.

BTW - you made a great choice w/ the purchase.  I changed to a 300b pre amp design and often miss the sound of the Manley, although they are so different it is impossible to compare.

Gibalok

« Reply #32 on: 7 Jun 2016, 07:30 pm »
Wow.. What a nice answer!
Are 7044 in the output stage? What does mean driver stage?

Are psvane mark ii 12at7 are good tubes?

Escott1377

« Reply #33 on: 7 Jun 2016, 10:22 pm »
Wow.. What a nice answer!
Are 7044 in the output stage? What does mean driver stage?

Are psvane mark ii 12at7 are good tubes?

7044 are in the driver / output stage.

I did not care for the Psvane tubes.  I believe they are roughly $100 from Grant Fidelity?  You can find better and cheaper options from EBay.  Check out the variants I recommended, they are a triple mica design and sound really smooth in the Shrimp.

Also, TubeMazeStore on EBay sells the E180CC tube that will sub for the 12AT7.  Lots of NOS options that will sound better than the Psvane.

Gibalok

« Reply #34 on: 8 Jun 2016, 02:06 pm »
when you speak on 6829 you mean GE?

also I more skewed towards Mullard. But what the right production years?

Escott1377

« Reply #35 on: 8 Jun 2016, 02:49 pm »
Those are the correct tubes.  They will work fine in the Shrimp.  I prefer Raytheon's over the GE's.

NOS Mullards - several tub dealers carry them.  The price goes up the older they are, most date codes from the 1960's will be fine.

I do not care for the new production Mullards since these are New Sensors that have been relabelled.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 9 Jun 2016, 05:47 am »
The 5 stars tubes are the best from GE,
suited for critical applications.

Gibalok

« Reply #37 on: 17 Jun 2016, 06:05 am »
I have borrowed 12AT7 Valvo 6201 and TAD selected and seems that TAD is better. More transparent and 3d imaging. VAlvo is warm and dense with hidening the details and a bit less punch on lows (mellow, friable). Comparing to stock Manley 12At7 (EI) both are less grainy.

TAD is modern Psvane oem. Im wonder if to buy Psvane 12AT7 Mark II T which given the price should be even better...

As 7044 I installed Silvania. Not actualy shure its worth to upgrade over GEs

« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2016, 01:24 pm by Gibalok »