Ultra 4A with Decware SE84C?

nodiak

« on: 1 Mar 2005, 08:01 pm »
Wondering if anyone uses this combination and if all goes well. I have the 84C and would like a preamp with phono, the Ultra 4A looks good, and the price is right. Thanks, Don

TomekZ

« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2005, 03:40 pm »
Having mated the Mapletree Ultra 4se with a Decware se84b, has been very fine. Both are such good products. Both have a rightness. Neither hypes harmonics for an overly detailed upper treble. Both are detailed in the midrange and bass, taught in the bass. Both are quick at all frequencies, making for a coherent whole sound. With the Decware amp, I prefer the Mapletree to three other preamps I've had in the past 6 months; the others were a AVA T-6, a Audible Illusions Modulus 3, and even Decware's ZTPRE. Though each of those preamps had their virtues, the Mapletree Ultra 4se has the most virtues: namely, it is the cleanest, sweetest, quickest. It is the least "hi-fi" sounding, so is self efacing. Tube rolling can be cheap with this preamp because the NOS tubes that it uses are not the most in demand, but are plentiful.
~tom

nodiak

« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2005, 05:50 pm »
Thanks TomekZ, that is even better than I expected. The Ultra 4 SE would save me a lot of money and complications (extra phono pre, ic's). I don't want to lose any quality compared to the se84C I have and it sounds like I won't have to. Great. Thanks for responding. Don