Do you have a question for the Magnepan factory?

rw@cn

Re: Do you have a question for the Magnepan factory?
« Reply #200 on: 7 Jun 2014, 12:21 pm »
Hi Steve,

I have recently bought the 1.7 from the australian dealer (Mcleans) and one of the feet is not upright as shown in the attached:
Hence when installed the feet is at a different angle than the others resulting in an unbalanced speaker. This is like putting 2 of those provided spacers on one feet and none on the other. Is this a normal occurrence?

Did you contact the distributer? If so, what was the answer?

The best solution is to get something like the Mye stand. I expect shipping from Canada would make the price unreasonable, but you might find a local metalworks company that would tackle the job for you.

bdp24

« Reply #201 on: 8 Jun 2014, 01:07 am »
The Mye stands are great, but if you don't want to spend what they cost, the Sound Anchor stand for 1.7's are also much better than the stock feet, and are much cheaper than the Myes.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #202 on: 9 Jun 2014, 09:34 am »
To project-h20

I think you have a defective foot (feet). Please contact Bill McClean, our Australian distributor.

Sorry to be so slow in contacting Wendell on this one.

project_h20

« Reply #203 on: 10 Jun 2014, 01:08 pm »
Did you contact the distributer? If so, what was the answer?

Many thanks to all who responded. My local distributor has send out a new foot after recognizing the welds are misaligned.

The Mye stands are great, but if you don't want to spend what they cost, the Sound Anchor stand for 1.7's are also much better than the stock feet, and are much cheaper than the Myes.
It would be very hard to get WAF for the Mye stands, the sound anchors might stand a chance  :)

project_h20

« Reply #204 on: 18 Jun 2014, 12:48 pm »
Hi All,

Does anyone else have a broken tweeter attenuator as shown in left attenuator under the +ve speaker cable in the attached picture? ATM the locking screw has completely fallen off and cannot kept in place let alone be tighten.

Am I the only one to suffer build quality issues with the Maggies? Are the maggies supposed to be this fragile?

:duh: :scratch:

Skycaptain

« Reply #205 on: 20 Jun 2014, 02:49 am »
Hello I am seriously thinking of getting x2 mini-maggies systems to cover my small living room / man cave space. I have a Marantz SR7500 amp rated for 8-6 ohm and not 4ohm. I was pondering connecting the L front channel to two of the mini's in parallel thus providing an 8ohm load and then doing the same with the other two for the R front channel. Is this possible and how would the DWM subs be integrated into this configuration if possible? Living room is cozy and I think these could knock the socks off the KEF Q1's I presently have in there... not that they sound bad at all. Always seem to be wanting more from my system. The four drivers could be custom mounted on separate stands for each channel. I would definitely entertain the larger 1.7's or Super MMG's but the gal friend/wife/  :scratch: would not go for that. I'm pushing it already!
Hope someone can give me an input.
Cheers.
Skycaptain

rw@cn

« Reply #206 on: 21 Jun 2014, 01:52 pm »
Hi All,

Does anyone else have a broken tweeter attenuator as shown in left attenuator under the +ve speaker cable in the attached picture? ATM the locking screw has completely fallen off and cannot kept in place let alone be tighten.

Am I the only one to suffer build quality issues with the Maggies? Are the maggies supposed to be this fragile?

:duh: :scratch:

Are the speakers old? It appears (from the photos) that the connectors have suffered from a number of traumatic events.

project_h20

« Reply #207 on: 21 Jun 2014, 02:52 pm »
Are the speakers old? It appears (from the photos) that the connectors have suffered from a number of traumatic events.

I just received them barely a month ago nicely packed from the dealer with the magnepan seal intact. Is it possible to check the age of the panel?

project_h20

« Reply #208 on: 21 Jun 2014, 02:56 pm »
I would definitely entertain the larger 1.7's or Super MMG's but the gal friend/wife/  :scratch: would not go for that.

Show her some nice setups of the 20.7s and 3.7s and sell them to her as room dividers. Works for me  :icon_lol:

Robin Hood

« Reply #209 on: 21 Jun 2014, 06:05 pm »
Show her some nice setups of the 20.7s and 3.7s and sell them to her as room dividers. Works for me  :icon_lol:

I don't know what some people are doing but you need to start with the color. Maggies are attractive but black panels belong in the basement, off-white panels are suitable for the living room.  What many wives may be objecting to is all the electronic junk that we often put in-between the speakers.  All speakers will sound better without audio racks and audio equipment in-between speakers.

Perhaps the folks who complain about WAF appeal need to get an interior decorator or someone else with good taste. I agree with WAF objections to having their partner throw junk in the living room or any other room in the house except perhaps the basement, garage or out-house.

And for the super-critical there are several options, such as the Magnestand Maggies with their beautiful wood or the BG Radia speakers hidden in the wall behind attractive fabric panels. :icon_lol:

Skycaptain

« Reply #210 on: 22 Jun 2014, 10:05 pm »

Perhaps the folks who complain about WAF appeal need to get an interior decorator or someone else with good taste. I agree with WAF objections to having their partner throw junk in the living room or any other room in the house except perhaps the basement, garage or out-house.

And for the super-critical there are several options, such as the Magnestand Maggies with their beautiful wood or the BG Radia speakers hidden in the wall behind attractive fabric panels. :icon_lol:

Really appreciate the reply boys... and your inputs as you suggested, however it is her space as well  :roll: and to conquering the WAF factor ..the real workable solution that I am pursuing is incorporating their mini Mags systems. I heard them at an office furniture fair display last fall and was blown away with the sound. Amazing for such a desk top system. Yes at a furniture show ..go figure.  So if there is a Magnepan factory dude out there who could answer my first post that would be great. Cheers lads.

Skycaptain.

Robin Hood

« Reply #211 on: 23 Jun 2014, 09:04 pm »
Really appreciate the reply boys... and your inputs as you suggested, however it is her space as well  :roll: and to conquering the WAF factor ..the real workable solution that I am pursuing is incorporating their mini Mags systems. I heard them at an office furniture fair display last fall and was blown away with the sound. Amazing for such a desk top system. Skycaptain.

To give you some idea of how the Mini Maggies might look like in your living room.

If I had to make the setup look more attractive I would hide the speaker wires and ditch the sub. Also, the speaker stands are cheap and functional but if I wanted something more attractive I would opt for natural wood stands or spray paint the metal stands white or a color coordinated with other colors in the living room.  Actually because I have a low wall in my living room about the same height as the speaker stands with 3 feet behind, I do not even need the speaker stands since I could sit the speakers on the low wall. IMO for an attractive living room no other audio equipment should be in the living room.  All my audio equipment is in the basement along with my reference speakers.

Skycaptain

« Reply #212 on: 24 Jun 2014, 06:50 am »
To give you some idea of how the Mini Maggie's might look like in your living room.

A most prodigious effort Sir Robin, thanks for taking the time to show me a possible set up.  :thumb:
I think you may have something here that could work. :D.  I Like those stands as well. Where did you get the ones that the DWM's sit on? They look wide enough to connect (x2) mini Mags on each. Do you think the DWM subs could be positioned down and away from the main drivers? Or do you feel that the DWM subs do not extend bass adequately and that's why you augment with the additional powered sub? Or was that a possible option you showed me for looks?
Now I just need to know if I can hook two mini Mags in series to put an 8ohm load on each R & L front channel of my amp.
Again thanks mate and what do you think of the Mini's yourself?
Skycaptain over and out.

Robin Hood

« Reply #213 on: 24 Jun 2014, 04:38 pm »
The Mini Maggies are the most impressive speakers that I have heard from Magnepan since the Tympani IVa and for the price they can't be beat. Many of the other larger Maggies sound good but I was never impressed with them to spend money and I knew if I got them I would always be wanting more. That said I haven't heard the 3.7i or the 20.7 speakers, so I can't say that those would leave me wanting. The Minis are very special and I knew I wanted true ribbons and the bass technology from the 20.x speakers.

The DWMs are woofers, not subs, since they only go down to 40Hz. I believe the DWMs cross over to the midrange/tweeter panels around 250Hz so there is a lot of mid bass. So you should not locate them too far from the midrange/tweeter panels unless you locate the DWMs centered between the left and right speakers.

The speaker stands were from Pangea, nothing special but cheap about $50 on sale and I filled them with steel shot. I actually use the same stands for my Audioengine 4 speakers in a home theater system in another part of the house. The satellite panels are attached with Blu tack but the DWMs are bolted to the stands so you may be looking at the DWM wood base. That said it is easy to bolt a wider plate on any speaker stand to support two satellite panels. I had originally planned to develop a custom stand to support two satellite panels vertically (optimized for seating and standing positions) with one DWM below for each channel.

The sub in the picture is a Genesis G-928 bipole sub and I use it because I have multiple dipole and bipole subs. Does it make a difference - yes, is it worth the money - yes, is it absolutely necessary - no.  But because of your WAF concerns I would go with either multiple DWMs or in-wall BG Radia subs as your funds allow.

Regarding your last question, I'd defer to Magnepan or someone else if you are willing to modify your Maggies. If you use the standard Maggie input and speaker connections, you could connect two satellites to one DWM for the left channel and ditto for the right channel but I believe that's still 4 ohms.  Whatever you decide you'll find the Mini Maggies to be very enjoyable speakers and something that any critical WAF will accept so long as you don't bring the other audio gear in the room.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #214 on: 25 Jun 2014, 01:03 am »
Skycaptain,
Sorry to be so slow but I've been really busy of late.
Wendell is out doing a dealer tour of the Canadian Rockies and said that your question would require a phone call.
Can you call him in early July?  If not, remind me and I'll find out for you.

Skycaptain

« Reply #215 on: 25 Jun 2014, 03:45 am »
Thanks again for your input Sir Robin. I appreciate all your input so far. Your latest post helps to ratify my decision to proceed along this path. I have a couple subs in my present system, but now knowing the DWM's don't extend much below 40Hz I will consider keeping those. I really like your idea of mounting two satellite panels vertically with one DWM below for each channel. I was thinking a slighly different configuration, See attached diagram. Your thoughts?

Thanks Steve for your reply. As I live in B-E-A-U-T-itiful Vancouver, BC, it is on the West Coast so it is
a tad far away from the Canadian Rockies, However if you have an email for Wendell that would be great.
If not.. I will try to contact you later in July. Main question is in regard to connecting two minimags
+ DWM's so that the load is 8 ohms on each front channel.
Skycaptain - over'n'out
8)

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #216 on: 26 Jun 2014, 12:15 am »
Wendell is a talker, not a typer so I'll call him for you when he gets back.
The Mini Maggie system sounds great; that set up you're proposing looks interesting.

Robin Hood

« Reply #217 on: 26 Jun 2014, 04:02 pm »
Skycaptain,

Your configuration looks interesting. Since you are looking at the VTI-DF stands I suggest buying one DF19, one DF24, and one DF36 stand to experiment what configuration sounds best in your room. The choice is two of the midrange/tweeter panels mounted on the DF24 as you depict or one panel mounted on the DF19 and one panel mounted above on the DF36.

My main concern is the Marantz SR7500 that is really a home theater amp and may not be suitable for driving Maggies. Would you be willing to modify the Maggie internals and void your warranty if that is the only way to achieve 8 ohms? Would you be willing to sell the Marantz and buy a suitable amp? Will your setup be for music only or do you plan to use it for home theater? If you are interested in multichannel audio or home theater using the Marantz SR7500 amp, I suggest four or six Audioengine 4 speakers instead (LF, RF, LR, RR, LC and RC for video recommended). If not, I suggest changing or be prepared to change your amp if it doesn't work well.

Skycaptain

« Reply #218 on: 28 Jun 2014, 03:47 am »
Skycaptain,

Your configuration looks interesting. Since you are looking at the VTI-DF stands I suggest buying one DF19, one DF24, and one DF36 stand to experiment what configuration sounds best in your room. The choice is two of the midrange/tweeter panels mounted on the DF24 as you depict or one panel mounted on the DF19 and one panel mounted above on the DF36.

My main concern is the Marantz SR7500 that is really a home theater amp and may not be suitable for driving Maggies. Would you be willing to modify the Maggie internals and void your warranty if that is the only way to achieve 8 ohms? Would you be willing to sell the Marantz and buy a suitable amp? Will your setup be for music only or do you plan to use it for home theater? If you are interested in multichannel audio or home theater using the Marantz SR7500 amp, I suggest four or six Audioengine 4 speakers instead (LF, RF, LR, RR, LC and RC for video recommended). If not, I suggest changing or be prepared to change your amp if it doesn't work well.

How do Sir Robin, I own x4 DF24's already so thus my reference to that particular stand. The SR7500 is rated to 6 - 8 ohms and that the 4 ohm loads for the maggies could ouch the amp. :nono:
However I'm not going to modify the Maggies and risk a warranty void, but simply change the connection sequences between them and my amp to bring the realized load to 6-8 ohms. See attached image for what I think will work.

Skycaptain...oer & out

MarvinTheMartian

« Reply #219 on: 28 Jun 2014, 02:29 pm »
SkyCap:
You are missing one connection on your diagram, to complete the 8 Ohm circuit you also need to "serialize" the inputs to each DWM panel, similar to the "-" > "+" on your Mini pairs.

My other concern would be the Mini's placed side by side, the tweeter spacing may lead to horizontal treble comb filter interference. The Mini's might work better stacked on top of each other.

Your receiver has line level outputs, start saving up for a good quality used amp : )
Shawn