NuPrime IDA-16

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: NuPrime IDA-16
« Reply #20 on: 1 Apr 2017, 01:08 am »
Scott,

You're welcome.

I looked at B&W's website info on your speakers, and I reread your first post where you mentioned your room size. My inexpert opinion is to forget about the IDA-8. I think you are right to consider the IDA-16.

Sure, the IDA-8 has enough power to play music through your speakers. However, I'd like to argue that your speakers won't 'sing' if you know what I mean. You won't realize their full potential - and I'm not saying they won't get loud because they will. The highs may be a bit thin without that extra headroom and the midrange won't be quite as sweet as it should be.

It's been a while since I reviewed the IDA-16's specs, but I seem to recall both the preamp and DAC are superior to what you get in the IDA-8.

Enjoy your journey. I'm having a blast with my journey.

Michael (sometimes referred to as Mr. Esseguie  :lol: )

Samac

« Reply #21 on: 1 Apr 2017, 01:32 am »
Scott,

You're welcome.

I looked at B&W's website info on your speakers, and I reread your first post where you mentioned your room size. My inexpert opinion is to forget about the IDA-8. I think you are right to consider the IDA-16.

Sure, the IDA-8 has enough power to play music through your speakers. However, I'd like to argue that your speakers won't 'sing' if you know what I mean. You won't realize their full potential - and I'm not saying they won't get loud because they will. The highs may be a bit thin without that extra headroom and the midrange won't be quite as sweet as it should be.

It's been a while since I reviewed the IDA-16's specs, but I seem to recall both the preamp and DAC are superior to what you get in the IDA-8.

Enjoy your journey. I'm having a blast with my journey.

Michael (sometimes referred to as Mr. Esseguie  :lol: )

Michael,

Thanks for the input. I know exactly what you mean. You nailed it; I want my speakers too sing. Like you said, just like the IDA-8 my 50 watt integrated can play very loud with my speakers but it doesn't sound very good.

I've got a tough decision to make with a tight budget but the input from you and Mark has been very helpful. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Scott

mresseguie

« Reply #22 on: 1 Apr 2017, 04:45 am »
Scott,

You've been sent a PM.

triumph

« Reply #23 on: 1 Apr 2017, 04:47 pm »
I'm sorry to say, but I think you are looking at the wrong end of your problem.

As it was stated, your 2 little 6.5" woofers per speaker will not be able to move much air in such a big room.  Might be one of the reason why you think it is thin sounding.

Changing to a new amp (hey, I'm all in when it comes to new toys, if they make sense), I doubt it will change much.

You have to work with the room you have, or adjust your expectations related to the products you can have.

Another reason for the sound being not so great is room interaction.  There is no perfect speaker that can be placed in any room and sound great. 
If you can, physical room treatments should be installed.  That means bass traps, reflective panels, ...
If physical treatments are not possible, you could go DSP to adjust to your room's acoustics.

Just saying... There's no magic.  It's sound waves and math.  It's all a process of measuring and adapting to achieve the best sound we can have, with the means available to us.

Samac

« Reply #24 on: 1 Apr 2017, 05:09 pm »
I'm sorry to say, but I think you are looking at the wrong end of your problem.

As it was stated, your 2 little 6.5" woofers per speaker will not be able to move much air in such a big room.  Might be one of the reason why you think it is thin sounding.

Changing to a new amp (hey, I'm all in when it comes to new toys, if they make sense), I doubt it will change much.

You have to work with the room you have, or adjust your expectations related to the products you can have.

Another reason for the sound being not so great is room interaction.  There is no perfect speaker that can be placed in any room and sound great. 
If you can, physical room treatments should be installed.  That means bass traps, reflective panels, ...
If physical treatments are not possible, you could go DSP to adjust to your room's acoustics.

Just saying... There's no magic.  It's sound waves and math.  It's all a process of measuring and adapting to achieve the best sound we can have, with the means available to us.

Triumph,

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, if I was disappointed with my speakers I would approach things differently. The thing is I am completely satisfied with them.

Low to medium volumes are good. It's that the 50 watts I have now has its limits with the rom size and load of the speakers. If I was in a room, say as big as 15'x20', I wouldn't even be looking fo an amp.

I need more brawn and headroom, thus the search for beefier watts.

Cheers,

Scott

Samac

« Reply #25 on: 3 Apr 2017, 12:10 am »
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2020, 07:40 pm by Samac »

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
« Reply #26 on: 3 Apr 2017, 04:32 am »
Mark and Michael,

I just ordered an IDA-16. Let's hope I have the same success that you've had with your NuPrimes. Thanks again for the helpful replies. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Scott

Congrats, Scott -

I'm sure the thread will enjoy hearing from you when you've had a chance to settle in from some critical listening.

Mark

mresseguie

« Reply #27 on: 3 Apr 2017, 07:52 am »
Scott,

I suspect you'll be quite happy with the IDA-16. Give it some time to properly break in. Then, come back here and give us your impressions.

Many people report that DACs (many different brands) required 100, 150, even 200 hours to fully break in. Mine need a minimum of 100 hours.

Enjoy!

John Casler

« Reply #28 on: 4 Apr 2017, 05:05 pm »
Hi Scott,

The larger number of IDA-8 reviews is simply due to the affordability and highly reviewed quality.  Audiophiles, when they move to higher level gear more often than not go to separates, rather than integrateds.

Regarding the IDA-16; It is easily the match of units costing many times more.  Michael mentioned enjoying his ST-10, and the amp section of the IDA-16 is most similar to the ST-10, except with MORE power.

It would be hard to think of any Integrated that would meet your needs as well at anywhere close to the price point.

As a dealer, I have spent considerable time with the IDA-16.  Most of it was through a pair of large floor standing speakers (VMPS RM-40) and in a 20 x 30 room.  The 200wpc ran those speakers like they were easy loads, so the power is there.

Your primary challenge is your listening position, and wishing to get a "near-field" experience with a "far-field" position.

As the sound leaves your speakers, it begins to disperse and reduce in energy.  That is, the sound energy spreads out and as it does loudness reduces.  As well reflected sound increases in a relationship to direct sound.

This then means you need to use a higher SPL to achieve clarity and detail.

The IDA-16 has not only significant power to allow this, but has the transparency and detail at higher volume levels to help you with your goals.

There are other methods and means too that would help, such as choosing a speaker with less directivity (dispersion) such as a Line Array, or some planar and ribbon type speakers with a reduced directivity.

In any event (keeping in mind I am a dealer) I think you will find the IDA-16 one of, if not your best choice, especially at that price point.  Many high quality DACs cost that much, and with the IDA-16, you get the whole package.

Samac

« Reply #29 on: 4 Apr 2017, 07:35 pm »
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2020, 07:38 pm by Samac »

Samac

« Reply #30 on: 6 Apr 2017, 01:59 pm »
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2020, 07:38 pm by Samac »

mresseguie

« Reply #31 on: 6 Apr 2017, 02:53 pm »
Take your mind off it or the anticipation will drive you (and likely your wife) mad.

Okay. I admit to not taking my own advice when I ordered various pieces of equipment. I am looking forward to your impressions - especially once it's got >100 hours on it.  :thumb:

Michael

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
« Reply #32 on: 6 Apr 2017, 03:55 pm »
FedEx tells me it's due to arrive Tuesday. The wait begins. Really looking forward to this. :thumb:

Cheers,

Scott

When I got my new car I scrubbed the garage floor and sat there for a while. I'm not normal however  :lol:

Samac

« Reply #33 on: 6 Apr 2017, 03:59 pm »
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2020, 07:39 pm by Samac »

Samac

« Reply #34 on: 6 Apr 2017, 04:04 pm »

When I got my new car I scrubbed the garage floor and sat there for a while. I'm not normal however  :lol:

Mark,

I can completely relate and I think you are normal. I mean, who wouldn't do that? :thumb:

Hey, when I put the amp in I'll dust and mop the floor. The system always sound better after the room has been cleaned. :D

Cheers,

Scott

John Casler

« Reply #35 on: 6 Apr 2017, 04:20 pm »
Listen to your favorite "reference" cuts and be prepared to hear more and deeper into the recording.  In some cases it may be significant, and in others subtle.

Bass, fullness, transparency, and detail should be greater.

Do, be prepared to have some of your less well engineered cuts be maybe less fullfilling if they were not recorded or engineered well.

However, on well done recordings, your Sonic Enjoyment will be enhanced.

Listen for Bass Harmonics, and detail and transparency without edgy harshness.

Have fun. . . :thumb:

Samac

« Reply #36 on: 6 Apr 2017, 04:52 pm »

Samac

« Reply #37 on: 10 Apr 2017, 02:52 pm »

damguz

« Reply #38 on: 13 Apr 2017, 11:07 am »
Come on.  I have been following your thread and anguish over the performance of the new Toy. 3 days have passed since arrival, and?

mresseguie

« Reply #39 on: 13 Apr 2017, 12:08 pm »
C'mon, Scott.

My life is on hold, too! Okay. Maybe not on hold, but I am curious.