Looking for a used DSLR Canon recommendation

Emil

Looking for a used DSLR Canon recommendation
« on: 15 Jun 2018, 11:34 am »
Looking for an all purpose camera for amateur use.  BODY ONLY. $300 tops.

Looking to get the most for the money.

Thanks

Yun66

Re: Looking for a used DSLR Canon recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2018, 12:52 pm »
I'd look into Canon 40D, 50D or 60D. I got a 40D when it first came out. It's a 10.1 mp camera. I could easily make 8x10" prints. If you mainly show your photos on screen, it would be more than enough. Later generations have higher pix counts. My current camera is 6D, a full frame, but still have the 40D as my backup.  Although you may get a used cheaper on eBay, I recommend B&H Photo and Video. It's a very reputable pro camera shop. They usually ship free and no tax if you're outside NY. I've been shopping there for about 30 years, very happy with them.

Emil

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2018, 12:57 pm »
Thanks Yun66

So these would be a much better camera than say a used Canon T6 at the same price?

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2018, 01:44 pm »
Hi Emil,

So are you interested in a fixed lens camera or are you looking to start buying a variety of different focal-length lenses and all that that entails. Now that I see that you said body only, I'll assume the latter and go away quietly.  :thumb:

I also just noticed you said DSLR! I pretty much agree with the first reply. I still have an old 10D and a well used 1Ds2 and a mess of lenses of all focal-lengths.

Gene

Yun66

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2018, 03:12 pm »
Sorry, I wish I could answer that question. It really depends on what you want from a camera.   :D

I can tell you some of my experience. I mainly take landscapes. I want a camera with low noise, manual exposure, spot meter and taking shift lens. Fast shutter, quick response and fast focus are not a priority. I also want my camera tough and can take some beating. I like a camera just feel right in hand, like weight, balance and position of frequently used dials.

Guess my rumblings won't help you much. If I have to say something specific, I'd say Canon 50D and 60D would be better than a Rebel. Please note that 50D uses large CF cards and 60D SD card.

There are so many websites on cameras out there, just like on audios. On cameras, I  recommend DPReview and Photo Net

https://m.dpreview.com
https://www.photo.net

They have all kinds info and reviews on cameras.  You might find info you needed there. Another thing is lenses. IMO, they are more important than camera body.

For used cameras, also try http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/

Good luck!

Emil

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2018, 03:13 pm »
Woodsyi has generously offered me his Canon 50D for shipping cost  :thumb:

I will be passing this good deed forward.

Thanks again, Woodsyi
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2018, 02:43 pm by Emil »

Emil

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2018, 03:25 pm »
I also want my camera tough and can take some beating. I like a camera just feel right in hand, like weight, balance and position of frequently used dials.

Agree. Consumer cameras today have that cheap plastic feel.

Yun66

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2018, 03:40 pm »
I like your avatar :lol:

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2018, 12:17 am »
Woodsyi has generously offered me his Canon 50D for shipping cost:thumb:

Thanks again, Woodsyi

Woodsyi is a good guy!!!  :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jun 2018, 06:26 am »
Consumer cameras today have that cheap plastic feel.

That reminds me of my first DSLR.

After size and weight, build quality is my highest priority when I shop for a camera. There's something about a magnesium alloy body that inspires confidence. It doesn't make me a better photographer, but it just feels right in the hand and I know it can handle an accident or two without cracking open.

After build quality I want ergonomics, fast AF with the best possible tracking, fast fps with a deep buffer, a tilt screen, and a quiet shutter.

Having tried a number of cameras and systems, I settled on the Nikon 1 system. It's not the end all be all, but it's right for me having tried systems by Sony and Pentax.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec 2018, 11:25 pm »
Woodsyi has generously offered me his Canon 50D for shipping cost  :thumb:

Thanks again, Woodsyi
I was going to suggest a Canon x0D body. I’ve shot with my 40D just over 8 years now. My father gave it to me in the hospital the night my first daughter was born (11/27/10). He bought it locally off of Craigslist.

My only criticism is the noise performance. But I’m far more sensitive to it than I should be. I’ve pointed it out to many people and they’ve shaken their heads walking away from me wondering what the hell’s the matter with me. I guess I’m that guy.

The x0Ds after around 60D don’t seem as solid to me. Maybe it’s just me.

Great deal on the 50D!

Stu Pitt

« Reply #11 on: 29 Dec 2018, 11:29 pm »
Thanks Yun66

So these would be a much better camera than say a used Canon T6 at the same price?

I think there’s quite a difference between the xxD series and T series. The Ts seem toy-like in comparison in fit and finish. Kinda like the difference between the Canon 50 f/1.8 and 50 f/1.4. I’ve only shot with Ts on a few rare occasions, so take it with a grain of salt.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #12 on: 29 Dec 2018, 11:35 pm »
I'd look into Canon 40D, 50D or 60D. I got a 40D when it first came out. It's a 10.1 mp camera. I could easily make 8x10" prints. If you mainly show your photos on screen, it would be more than enough. Later generations have higher pix counts. My current camera is 6D, a full frame, but still have the 40D as my backup.  Although you may get a used cheaper on eBay, I recommend B&H Photo and Video. It's a very reputable pro camera shop. They usually ship free and no tax if you're outside NY. I've been shopping there for about 30 years, very happy with them.

I’ve been eyeing the 6D for about 3 years now. I’m finally going to pull the trigger now that they’re $999 vs the $1700 or so initially.

And as a bonus, I just found out Adorama (authorized dealer) is on Amazon. I’ve got $400 worth of Amazon gift cards I’ve been collecting.

Last part :) I’m keeping my 40D as a backup/whenever I need more reach/higher risk area body. Pretty sure I’ll keep it until it dies, or a family member needs it, whichever comes first. It’s too good to get rid of for the money it’ll get on the used market.