Multimeter (DMM) Suggestions

DeeJayBump

Multimeter (DMM) Suggestions
« on: 5 Sep 2019, 06:56 pm »
Following on the soldering iron/station thread I also need a good multimeter.

This will be used for occasional crossover assembly, diy of chip-amps, bottlehead kits, and some hobbyist electronic  diy builds + troubleshooting, so I'm not really seeking a serious (read that as $250+) meter.

Probably something Fluke, but open to suggestions if there's somethng as good for a little less. Basic price range is around $100-ish.

Thanks.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Multimeter (DMM) Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2019, 08:29 pm »
Bought a refurbished Fluke 87-III years ago in that price range and still working correctly probably 20 years later.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2019, 10:50 pm »
I'd have to go out to my car to check, but I've been using an old/used Triplett (roughly equivalent to the 9007A they're selling now just by looking at the feature set, although the newest one has features mine doesn't) for work for ten-ish years and I have no idea how old it was when I got it.  It gets a little twitchy when the battery is low, but I basically never change the battery and it bounces around in the car in a ziplock bag 24/7/365 (meaning extreme cold/extreme heat/extreme damp/extreme dry).  It still works just fine and the build quality to me might not QUITE be ruggedized Fluke, but it is more than close enough for me.  For what it is worth, you can pick up a brand new Triplett 9007A for about $90.

I use it for AC line tests, telco/data network low voltage wiring testing, DC sensor switching tests (usually 0-1VDC, sometimes 3VDC), continuity checks, and very occasionally HV AC and DC (well below 1000V).  It isn't super fast, but reads out fast enough for what I do.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2019, 11:51 pm »
I've been using the same multimeter for over 25 years. I got it from the Mac Tool dealer when I was a tech. They are made by Fluke and the best meter I've 3ver had. I would look into Fluke meter and find one tbat has the features you need.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 6 Sep 2019, 01:01 am »
I just have a multi-meter from the electrical tool area at Lowes, $40 or so. In addition, I found a capacitance meter that can read to picofarads and be zeroed to be a big help on amps. I paid around $70 for mine at a local electronics supply store.

Mike

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 6 Sep 2019, 01:26 am »
To test transistors you will need an analog meter to found alterated transistors.

jeffwhetstone

« Reply #6 on: 6 Sep 2019, 01:45 am »
Allow me to join the Fluke bandwagon here.   I've been using the same 87-III at work for 21 years.    For home use I picked up a refurbished Fluke 179 on Ebay for not much over $100 and it has been equally excellent over the past 15 years.

Jeff

DeeJayBump

« Reply #7 on: 6 Sep 2019, 03:40 am »
Thanks, everyone for your input.

I found [and ordered] a Fluke 87-III for under $100.

SET Man

« Reply #8 on: 7 Sep 2019, 02:30 am »
Allow me to join the Fluke bandwagon here.   I've been using the same 87-III at work for 21 years.    For home use I picked up a refurbished Fluke 179 on Ebay for not much over $100 and it has been equally excellent over the past 15 years.

Jeff

Hey!

I also have the Fluke 179, bought it 10 years ago and it still works fine.

Buddy

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2019, 07:56 am »
I bought a Protek 6300 for about $35 10 years ago and it has been very useful and totally reliable, except for the occasional need when first turning on to twist one of the test leads in its socketto freshen the contact.

I don't need extreme accuracy, but the many functions are very handy. Apart from the obvious volts, amps and ohms measurements it comes with a thermocouple for contact measurement of temperature and measures spl, relative humidity, ambient temperature, ambient lux, capacitance and—important to me—frequency. The only thing missing for me is inductance. For 35 bux, hard to beat.