VR2's

chgolatin2

VR2's
« on: 19 Oct 2008, 01:03 am »
Hello,

Has anyone tried or has modified their VR2's?  I am an owner of such speakers, yes they do sound nice however I was a bit unhappy about the cheap floor spike that came with the speaker.  I will be upgrading to a more solid spike soon.  I had them filled with sand, but I tried the lead pellets and WOW, great improvement in the bass dept area.  What kind of speaker wires perform better with these babies?  I have a set of DH labs Q10 cables, I will be bi-amping the speakers soon, well, as soon as I get my floor bases repaired by the company itslelf  :cry:

mfsoa

Re: VR2's
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2008, 01:07 am »

WGH

Re: VR2's
« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2008, 03:46 am »
I have discovered the best ever tweek for the VR2's.
I changed my electronics to an all Van Alstine Insight system (amp, pre-amp, and DAC).
Admittedly not as cost efficient as my other mods but it made the biggest change.
Airy extended highs and deep bass (the mid-bass bloat completely disappeared) all within a wide, deep, detailed soundstage.
The DAC is amazing, it is so close to perfect I have no desire to try other brands.
The pre-amp and amp do not add anything to the recordings or take anything away so you can clearly hear differences and nuances in every album and cd.
Highly recommended.

As for wires, I still use a 25' double run of Kimber 4VS and Monoprice 14ga with both sets hooked up to the top terminals. It is a wonderful musical combination.

Wayne