Cherry Amplifier® ---- What We're About 🍒

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: Cherry Amplifier (R) ---- What We're About
« Reply #740 on: 25 Mar 2019, 04:32 pm »
Have you heard about our new 5-CHerry amplifier ??

Details here, plus info on a multi-product special that’s now open to the public:
https://myemail.constantcontact.com/-enter-subject-here-.html?soid=1101188089143&aid=GZx5GG7EBVQ

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Potentially Record Breaking 🍒 Surround System at AXPONA 2019
« Reply #741 on: 2 Apr 2019, 07:07 pm »
We will be at AXPONA powering a potentially record breaking surround sound system!  Details here:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=163293.0

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
We will be at AXPONA powering a potentially record breaking surround sound system!  Details here:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=163293.0
Check the thread -- 2-channel demos will be played as well using the Cherry MEGA MK2 MONOs (these have 1800W transformers and quad cap upgrades as well), driving JTR 212RTs.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Pre-Summer Cherry Sale starts NOW !!
« Reply #743 on: 13 May 2019, 04:27 pm »
Check out our massive pre-summer sale!

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/-enter-subject-here-.html?soid=1101188089143&aid=FU-pLlkxB6c

#Sound #Stereo #MEGAschino #DAC #DACDAC #CherryDACDAC #CherryAmp #CherryMaraschino #CherryMEGA #MaraschinoCherry #SurroundSound #Audio #HomeAudio #Amplifiers #DigitalAmpCo #HighEndAudio #miniCherry #Cherry5ch #cherry5 #5CHerry #4CHerry #3CHerry #2CHerry #HomeTheater #ExtremeAudio

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Want to turn the commentators OFF?
« Reply #744 on: 14 May 2019, 01:54 pm »
If you've ever wanted to mute just the commentators, while preserving the rest of the audio when watching sports, check this out:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=163888.0

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: Pre-Summer Cherry Sale starts NOW !!
« Reply #745 on: 21 May 2019, 07:07 pm »
Check out our massive pre-summer sale!

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/-enter-subject-here-.html?soid=1101188089143&aid=FU-pLlkxB6c

#Sound #Stereo #MEGAschino #DAC #DACDAC #CherryDACDAC #CherryAmp #CherryMaraschino #CherryMEGA #MaraschinoCherry #SurroundSound #Audio #HomeAudio #Amplifiers #DigitalAmpCo #HighEndAudio #miniCherry #Cherry5ch #cherry5 #5CHerry #4CHerry #3CHerry #2CHerry #HomeTheater #ExtremeAudio
Sold out of ILMs at the moment.  We do have a few desktop Maraschinos left as well as this deal on DACs:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138311.160

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
DAC4800A upgrades to MEGA !!
« Reply #746 on: 17 Jun 2019, 05:26 pm »
Attention DAC4800A owners!

We can now upgrade DAC4800A to Stereo Cherry MEGAschino!  More information about this here:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=164331.0

-Tommy

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #747 on: 20 Jun 2019, 05:45 pm »
One feature of Cherry Amps is high damping factor.  This is where even the resistance of the speaker cables makes a significant difference to effective damping factor.  The debate will never end regarding damping factor and its effect on the sound, but there is a parallel here with power cords (another great debate).  People seem to forget that the wire behind the wall is part of the circuit, and simple engineering (yes, I know not everyone's an engineer) concepts like power supply rejection ratio.  Here's an article about that, including my comments along with those of a guy selling power cords:
https://audiophilereview.com/audiophile-news/can-power-cords-have-an-effect-on-an-audio-systems-sound.html

I've been involved in many "cable debates" (sooooo many, ugh  :roll:) and similar online conversations where someone is berated for using logic and science instead of hyperbole, conjecture, or rhetoric.  There's often a "your system isn't resolving enough" comment, mixed in with a refusal to produce evidence of what seems like outrageous claims.  Usually, the claims are typically nebulous ones like "opens up the sound stage", etc.  I don't want this thread to turn into a cable debate, or one about placebo effect, or measurements versus subjective listening.  These arguments are like trying to talk someone out of a cult.  What matters in the end is the pleasure one's sound system gives them.
« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2019, 07:54 pm by AmpDesigner333 »

RonN5

« Reply #748 on: 20 Jun 2019, 06:50 pm »
We all have our own cable stories....and Tommy is no doubt correct that it is pretty hard to covert true believers...on either side...one way or another. 

Here is my story.  I purchased a Halo amplifier and a buddy suggested I specifically try a Shunyata Venom HC power cord....and if it didn't improve things, send it back.  So, I bought one...but rather than put it on my amplifier, I put it on my disk player, no improvement.  Then I tried it on my preamp, no improvement.  By the time I put it on the Halo, my mind was pretty well made up...but low and behold, it seemed that the bass was better.  Over the next few weeks, back and forth with the stock cord and ultimately I decided to keep it and leave it on.

Then I bought a 2Cherry from Tommy and was using the Shunyata.  I asked Tommy for his thoughts about the sound with the stock cord; he sent me the link above.  By now, I was pretty familiar with the sound of the 2Cherry + Shunyata on a couple of tracks...switched to the stock cord....no difference.  Spent the next week going back and forth and as of now, I'm using the stock cord and will probably sell the Shunyata along with the Halo.

You might wonder, did I go back and retest the Halo with the stock cord...so far no....the 2Cherry sounds so darn good that Idon't want to take it out of my system.

Conclusion:  Not sure I have one....but when it comes to any of the Cherry Amps...I'm pretty sure you are not giving anything up by using the stock cords.

Nick77

« Reply #749 on: 20 Jun 2019, 06:59 pm »
        Shunyata Venom HC power cord     

I dont think you should base your final conclusions on such a budget PC. Give a true audiophile PC a try like Petes Triode Wire Labs then draw conclusions. Just saying...........

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #750 on: 20 Jun 2019, 07:41 pm »
I dont think you should base your final conclusions on such a budget PC. Give a true audiophile PC a try like Petes Triode Wire Labs then draw conclusions. Just saying...........
Properly designed equipment is much less sensitive to cable selection.  For power cords, it's about PSRR.  We recommend spending no more than $100 for any cable (assuming 10 feet or less) unless you are buying it for the looks.  Nothing wrong with wanting cool looking stuff!  Just a general rule of thumb.

RonN5

« Reply #751 on: 20 Jun 2019, 07:59 pm »
Nick 77.....My thought is that the Shunyata is a $300 wire....the Triodes seem to run anywhere from $500-1200...I'm thinking that from an overall "sound of my system" standpoint, I'd be much better off to spend the $$$ on the DACDAC or the new preamp when it comes out

Nick77

« Reply #752 on: 20 Jun 2019, 08:07 pm »
Nick 77.....My thought is that the Shunyata is a $300 wire....the Triodes seem to run anywhere from $500-1200...I'm thinking that from an overall "sound of my system" standpoint, I'd be much better off to spend the $$$ on the DACDAC or the new preamp when it comes out

My bad, I thought it was a $150. Anyhow given the opportunity to demo a TWL or Wywire PC do give it a try.  :thumb:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Magnepan or other panel speakers and Cherry Amps?
« Reply #753 on: 21 Jun 2019, 04:29 am »
There's a recently started thread about panel speakers and Cherry Amps.  If you have Magnepan speakers and Cherry Amps, please post what you're using here:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=164248.0

One of our reference speaker systems is the Magnepan 1.7i.  The Cherry MEGA MK2 was designed to drive speakers like this for an "open and airy" sound.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Summer Sale in full swing
« Reply #754 on: 5 Jul 2019, 04:06 pm »
We have a Summer Sale going on.  Mostly demos, but some new hardware, too.  Our previous deal on 2-CHerry and 3-CHerry has been extended as well.  Email Support@DigitalAmp.com for the price list!!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
New simple reference system experiment
« Reply #755 on: 11 Jul 2019, 12:02 pm »
Here’s a great system, yet VERY simple:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=164657.0

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: Cherry Amplifier® ---- What We're About
« Reply #756 on: 19 Sep 2019, 05:16 pm »
We received a question about the differences between ILM, DTM, and STM.  Here's the answer, which covers more than just those models....

ILM and DTM are monoblocks, so they come with separate (external) power supplies for each channel.  Early versions had a single power supply driving both channels, but we haven’t done that since 2014 or so.  The same Maraschino Monoblock boards are inside the ILM and DTM, but the connector arrangement is different to accommodate the case style.  The Golden Cherry (GCM) is our top-of-the-line DTM, and includes triple rail caps, no-sleep mod, modulator tweaks (modified Maraschino Monoblock boards), gold cases, and 6” DC_SNAKEs.  The gold cases can be changed to black or red if desired.

The ILM can’t fit triple rail caps, but the DTM/GCM can, and so can the new 2-CHerry, which now comes with triple rail caps standard, even in the non-KING version.  The 2-CHerry is our newest amp, and uses the same 60V 1kW power supply as KING Maraschinos, but the power supply is internal.  The 2-CHerry also uses Power Pipes™ to connect the power supply rails to the amp boards, which are Maraschino Monoblock boards mounted vertically.  A single power supply drives both channels in the 2-CHerry.  The 2-CHerry is part of our “x-Cherry” series (2-5 channels).  More information on our x-CHerry amps:
https://www.cherryamp.com/5-channel-amp

The STM also uses one power supply (external) to drive both channels.  It’s an integrated amp, so you get a volume control and an input selector.  We also have a new (not officially released yet) MK2 version that features higher efficiency and even lower distortion than the original STM.  We can modify existing STMs to be MK2, but this is a labor intensive mod.  Price for the STM MK2 mod is not set yet.

The sound quality of all our Maraschino based amps is almost identical.  Fast, clean, and powerful.  Super low noise.  There’s a sweetness about these amps that’s well recognized.  Some say “liquid” or “extremely musical”.  They control speakers very well at all frequencies and levels.  The STM is close to the sound of the monoblocks, but distortion performance is slightly better with the monoblock boards.

By the way, the mini-MEGA was put on hold in favor of the 2-CHerry, since the goals of that configuration were more than met with the 2-CHerry.  Our digital preamp is under development, and we expect prototypes more toward the end of the year.  It will have analog outputs (two stereo pairs -- one balanced, and one single ended) as opposed to the original plan of digital outputs.  We expect audio performance to be the same as our 130dB+ Cherry DAC DAC 2 HS.

RonN5

Preamp Follow Up
« Reply #757 on: 20 Sep 2019, 12:04 am »
Tommy,

I'm glad that the preamp is still in the works....Going with the analog outputs is a good decision...otherwise, its more difficult to connect to a sub. 

Would also suggest, if possible, to have the voltage output of the balanced and the RCAs be the same...why....because assume that the balanced outputs are 4v and i'm running those to my 2Cherry (which I absolutely love)....and then assume the RCA outputs are 2v and I'm running those to my sub....even though the sub has an input gain control...getting the overall balance between the mains and the sub is much easier if the output voltages match.  (or if it is simpler, maybe just go with double balanced outputs and include the neutrik balanced/rca adapters)

I hope this ship hasn't already sailed...but maybe one pair of analog inputs should be included for all the turntable/analog people....

One final thing....if possible, please offer a remote...not having one will likely turn away customers....why...because those of us that use a preamp probably have a number of things input into the preamp and we want it to be master control.

Thanks for listening.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: Preamp Follow Up
« Reply #758 on: 20 Sep 2019, 03:00 am »
Tommy,

I'm glad that the preamp is still in the works....Going with the analog outputs is a good decision...otherwise, its more difficult to connect to a sub. 

Would also suggest, if possible, to have the voltage output of the balanced and the RCAs be the same...why....because assume that the balanced outputs are 4v and i'm running those to my 2Cherry (which I absolutely love)....and then assume the RCA outputs are 2v and I'm running those to my sub....even though the sub has an input gain control...getting the overall balance between the mains and the sub is much easier if the output voltages match.  (or if it is simpler, maybe just go with double balanced outputs and include the neutrik balanced/rca adapters)

I hope this ship hasn't already sailed...but maybe one pair of analog inputs should be included for all the turntable/analog people....

One final thing....if possible, please offer a remote...not having one will likely turn away customers....why...because those of us that use a preamp probably have a number of things input into the preamp and we want it to be master control.

Thanks for listening.
Ron,

You’re on.  ALL OF IT !!  Thanks (:

-Tommy O

lewdogg

Re: Preamp Follow Up
« Reply #759 on: 20 Sep 2019, 05:22 pm »
Ron,

You’re on.  ALL OF IT !!  Thanks (:

-Tommy O

GD, more things to take my money?!?!?!  :duh: :duh: :duh: