Silverline Audio Speakers

mlgill

• Industry Participant
Silverline Audio Speakers
« on: 13 Feb 2012, 11:50 pm »
I have a brand new old stock Silverline Panatella III speakers.  these were the 2005 issue.  When I opened the boxes which were factory sealed recently I found to my amazement that one speaker was missing the grill and the other speaker had a non working tweeter.  I contacted Silverline in California and was told that nothing could b e done.  Has anyone else has experience this poor customer service.  I would be glad to pay for a replacement tweeter given this option.

Sad Silverline customer...

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: Silverline Audio Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2012, 01:18 am »
On the other hand, I shipped a pair of Silverline SR11s and one of the woofers was damaged. Alan was happy to replace the woofer but needed the speakers sent back as a pair because he wanted to ensure the woofers matched. Price was reasonable IMO.
Speculation on my part, but I'd bet the tweeter is no longer available for the seven-year-old speaker.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2012, 01:38 am »
Ml, you need to speak with the owner/designer personally.  I would put it a letter to him and ask that he call you.  If he doesn't, then call him.  If your box was factory sealed I think he should and would be responsive.  Hope so.  I'm assuming that you bought them direct or thru an auth dealer.

fritzspeakers

• Industry Participant
  • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
    • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2012, 07:04 am »
I believe those have the now discontinued LPG tweeters in them.  If Silverline doesn't have any replacements, this Eton tweeter available from Madisound for $76 is a pretty close match & probably an upgrade.  They should pop right in IIRC.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/eton-soft-dome-tweeters/eton-25sd-1-1-soft-dome-tweeter/

Good luck.  Fritz

BTW- I think that Eton actually made those LPG tweeters.

calsaint

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2012, 11:46 pm »
I had a similar experience with SR17s. The original 28/2 tweeters were no longer in production, and one of mine had blown.
I bought two Morels to replace them both and they sound fantastic. Just be careful of your measurements and get the right size. As Fritz so kindly directed, Madisound inventory and the Madisound board/forum can be your friend.

wilsynet

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2012, 12:38 am »
It does seem odd / strange / unreasonable for Silverline to not offer an alternative path forward.  Totally understand that they can't honor what would be an implied warranty that's now 6-7 years old, also understand that there may be no reasonable grill replacement, but a suggestion for what to do about the tweeter seems like a reasonable ask.  Even if the suggestion is to buy two new matching tweeters from someone else.

If I had bought them new from Silverline, and a tweeter had gone 5 years later, I suspect that "nothing can be done, please junk the speakers" would not be an acceptable answer to me.

Can it really be that nothing, like nothing can be done?  The post from Fritz does not seem to imply that.